Feb 8th - A Mustache fit for a goblin

Discuss the comic here!
Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: Feb 8th - A Mustache fit for a goblin

Post by Sessine » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:21 pm

willpell wrote:
Sessine wrote:Panels 22-23: Beat. Beat. Both thinking. There's a lot to think about. Their postures are still mirror images.

Panel 24: Minmax doesn't want to be thanked. "Shut up."
Maybe the "shut up" was about the posture mimicking. I for one would probably find that annoying, if I managed to notice someone doing it.
Maybe, but I don't think either of them has noticed.

I find this small very-tentative connection between them interesting to think about. I can see Minmax, who has just lost the only two people in the world he cared about, eventually almost adopting Fumbles... without at all realizing that's what he's doing.

(The other goblins were amazed that Fumbles actually talked. And, here Minmax is telling him to shut up! :lol: )
► Show Spoiler

Erix
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Erix » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:08 pm

Sessine wrote:
willpell wrote:
Sessine wrote:Panels 22-23: Beat. Beat. Both thinking. There's a lot to think about. Their postures are still mirror images.

Panel 24: Minmax doesn't want to be thanked. "Shut up."
Maybe the "shut up" was about the posture mimicking. I for one would probably find that annoying, if I managed to notice someone doing it.
Maybe, but I don't think either of them has noticed.

I find this small very-tentative connection between them interesting to think about. I can see Minmax, who has just lost the only two people in the world he cared about, eventually almost adopting Fumbles... without at all realizing that's what he's doing.

(The other goblins were amazed that Fumbles actually talked. And, here Minmax is telling him to shut up! :lol: )
Well, Minmax and Fumbles do share a rather... intimate.. history, after all. :lol:

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:13 pm

I'm glad we're seeing some sort of action from Fumbles. I like the character and really hope we can see some sort of return to "classic fumbles" someday.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:41 am

I think he lost his fumble-chart.
That part is over. He fumbled his childhood, left it behind and is now an adult, who does not always make wise decissions, but who knows what his next chosen level will be?
I don't think he'll continue doing that one-eleventh anymore.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:53 am

GO VOTE!
There's a hint about a parallelism between this page and a previous page.
Won't spoil it here for you before the TWC-incentive has changed, so go vote!
But I have to confess, I missed it.
► Show Spoiler

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:26 am

Hadza wrote:Tarol didn't shade the page yet, that is the reason :P
And the expression Minmax made is very similar to Rubys when he and Kin were hugging. Interesting
And we have a winner?
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:04 am

I don't think anyone who took Thunt up on the 'fill out these 24 panels' would have correctly predicted all this. I'm interested to know if anyone did take a crack at it, and if they are posted somewhere'?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:22 am

I think the exact line of thought he's having while thinking in the panels before the "shut up" are part of an internal conflict.
On one hand, he's seeing how the goblins can be empathetic and caring, and have feelings too. He decides to go sit next to Fumbles, but decides he doesn't want to come off as goblin-loving and soft quite yet, so tries to play it off by being an asshole and snatching his mustache and fixing it. He realizes too late that Fumbles is grateful for the gesture, and nearly goes along with it, until that deep-seated Goblin hate comes back, and he tries to buy back what little face he has left. Hence the "shut up." It's petty and accomplishes nothing but in his mind, it's a jab that he uses to lie to himself for a little longer that he's still a cold-hearted warrior, that he will kill Complains, and any of these other goblins that stand in his way.
This is of course just my opinion and could be totally wrong, guess we'll see in coming updates. Sorry if that ramble didn't quite make sense!
I am high in fructose.

thingsandstuff
Remains Silent

Post by thingsandstuff » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:56 am

The bottom-right nine panels seem crafted to work as a "magic eye" pattern. The backgrounds are offset just enough to create a slight sense of perspective.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:33 pm

I just voted, and I found the bonus very interesting.
It provides somehow a key to better understand the motivation of this story.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:17 pm

And it's another single thing of how different characters are.

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:40 pm

This one made me happy. Also, good summary Sessine. I think you're right about the word "adventurer." And vote. :)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:36 am

Oh geez. got youtube lost at work again (I load a random playlist by someone and let it run).
This time I got across a song from Mathias Reim (German singer, best known for "Verdammt ich lieb Dich").
He apparently rewrote the song for a car-rental ad (joking on him being broke, as he spent more money than "Verdammt ich lieb Dich" brought in, and producing no noticeable hit afterwards).
The fun thing is when I looked at why the song sounds so weird, I saw this frame, and due to the false moustache he's wearing, I found it may have a mentioning here.
(ETA: rewatched it, this frame shows the ridiculous moustache even better)

Minmax, do your thing to repair that!

Edited to add:
the video is also hilarious in that the use of bluescreen/greenscreen tech is obvious.....
And if you can understand German, the whole idea of Mathias Reim having nothing (he was broke) adds to the experience.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:57 am

No shading in the second pic of bottom row.
I find it looks suddenly flat, compared to other pic.
Perhaps it's intentional.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

08 February 2014 - A moustache fit for a goblin

Post by Krulle » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:02 am

New permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02102015/

(for comparison: previous unshaded version)

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 am

I thought I'd commented here, but apparently not :S
Anyway, great page :D Minmax is seeming to grow more, which is fantastic. I mean, he doesn't seem happy about having his beliefs challenged, but it's for the best :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:09 pm

extrabigmehdi wrote:No shading in the second pic of bottom row.
I find it looks suddenly flat, compared to other pic.
Perhaps it's intentional.
Trying to read anything into the art before it is fully shaded is an exercise in futility. He just hasn't done that one yet, or missed it, so I guess that could be intentional? If you mean that he wants ti to be flat to convey some extra meaning or emotion, no. It just isn't shaded yet.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Simon wrote:I mean, he doesn't seem happy about having his beliefs challenged, but it's for the best :P
No one is ever happy to have their beliefs changed; the tricky part is that if some other person is responsible for the change, accepting the change is a lot harder than just rejecting that person. The changes almost never stick unless you have nobody to blame for their happening (including yourself); they must be the confluence of all the circumstances swirling around you, with not so much as a messenger you can shoot, before humility becomes capable of overcoming your inherent arrogance (and make no mistake, ALL human beings are arrogant; the more they protest that they aren't, the deeper and more labyrinthine their self-delusion is, and self-delusion is always the architecture of personal pride).
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:57 pm

The tricky thing is that having your beliefs changed isn't a good or bad thing, but someone trying to enforce one on you doesn't usually have your best interests at heart. That's why humans are arrogant - it's a defence mechanism to attempt protection against manipulation. If you aren't prepared for a debate on any issue at any time, and you have no belief that your views on them are the right one, it's easy for a lobbyist, politician, protester or what have you to convince you of what they want and to do what they want, because they have the advantage of preparation. To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool. Now, yes, this does not mean you should stick to one view no matter what like Ruby did, and you should consider changing your views to accommodate new evidence. But for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:24 pm

Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
Permission to incorporate part or all of the above quote-snip into my signature, Sir Glemp.
My long-neglected blog.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:03 am

willpell wrote:
Permission to incorporate part or all of the above quote-snip into my signature, Sir Glemp.
Granted, provided that a link back to the original accompanies it for the sake of context. Thank you, by the way, for the +2 Confidence modifier to my Will save.

To the many actual DnD players on the forum, I hope that didn't sound too cringe-worthy...

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:47 am

Fully shaded page now online:
@Thunt_Goblins wrote:Fully shaded version of the latest page is now live. Boop. #Goblins http://www.goblinscomic.org/
Permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02112015/
► Show Spoiler

Brings Cupcakes
Of Few Words

Post by Brings Cupcakes » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:57 am

So Fumbles' IME is... white? Light blue? have we ever seen it before?

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:09 am

Brings Cupcakes wrote:So Fumbles' IME is... white? Light blue? have we ever seen it before?
We've seen it several times, actually. First time he picked up Complain's sword the IME color changed from purple to white. And when he screamed his name at Kore it was all white.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:29 am

Glemp wrote:Granted, provided that a link back to the original accompanies it for the sake of context.
Done.
My long-neglected blog.