Children of Ash - Recruitment Closed

Synch
Game Master

Children of Ash - Recruitment Closed

Post by Synch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:10 am

Ooh look, my first game!

CHILDREN OF ASH - A POST-APOCALYPTIC SURVIVAL STORY

BACKGROUND
June 2015. A world reminiscent of an ungodly hybrid between The Stand and Mad Max. It is estimated that less than 10% of the world's population remains, and civilised society as we know it is barely non-existant. No-one knows how they obtained it, but in July 2014 smallpox bioterrorist attacks were unleashed simultaneously in Times Square, Frankfurt Airport, the London Tube, Shibuya in Tokyo, Kowloon in Hong Kong and at a World cup football match in Rio De Janiero. Middle Eastern terrorist cells were suspected as no Muslim countries were targetted, but no-one claimed responsibility. First suspected to be an outbreak of chickenpox, the world was slow to react once telltale rashes were soon identified to be the virus all thought to be eradicated. The human species was ripe for the picking - vaccinations for smallpox were a thing of the past, and most vaccinated before the 70s had long since lost their immunity. Many were quarantined and treatment began, but the spread of the disease was at this stage rampant, and soon undermanned hospitals and emergency triage stations could no longer cope with the influx of patients. In third world countries, the virus was left unchecked due to almost nonexistant quarantine infrastructure, poor hygiene and bodies began piling up in the streets. As the body toll grew worldwide, law enforcement, goverments, emergency services and soon even communication crumbled. It took less than a year for the human race to face extinction.
However the human race is a resilient species, and not everyone succumbed to the infection. Some were treated in time, and a proportion of the global population seemed to contain a natural immunity to the disease. Unfortunately though it appeared to be random rather than genetically inherited, so almost no family units survived intact and immune survivors were scattered across the planet rather than located in a certain area.

What few remained approached their survival with different outlooks, and different outcomes. Many were unprepared for life without civilisation, and died in accidents or due to exposure to the elements, while others couldn't bear this existence and took their own life. Some viewed their predicament as a blessing, content to rape, loot and pillage and occasional groups of like-minded individuals joined together to better prey on the helpless. Pockets of society were established in fortifiable areas with ample resources, but such establishments usually contain less than 50 individuals due to limited and scattered survivors. And there are those who wander a lonely nomadic path, not sure what to do with themselves but not willing to die.

You are one of a handful of 'patients' at one of the last remaining research centres in the country, this particular clinic being on the outskirts of [will add later]. Although not under arrest and treated very well with many luxuries, you are essentially a prisoner, kept in small rooms separately and not allowed to leave the compound. Brought under guard by what remained of the army, you were told that research on your immunity/successful vaccination/successful treatment was 'non-negotiable' and 'your civic duty to your country, and to the fate of the human race.' However, while you wanted out, others wanted in...

GAME MECHANICS
I love the game mechanics of Spiderwrangler's Surviving Castle Heterodyne, and so with his gracious permission this game will be based on the same structure that his follows. There are basic stats, and how you progress through this world will determine what skills you develop. Everyone will have a background which gives them an edge in a particular skillset, but certainly won't limit you to what you can do. Every task will give practice in a particular profession, as as you gain levels in that profession your abilities will improve.
Please bear in mind this is science fiction and not fantasy: there will be no magic, monsters, goblins and elves etc.
There are two ways to play this game: You can endeavour to reach a rumoured safehaven, or you can attempt to rebuild a small society of your own to attract survivors (hopefully well-meaning.) You can separate if necessary, or go alone if you want. I am also considering letting people walk on the dark side and attempt to take over a raiding party, but bear in mind this path would have a very high mortality rate, and I would also possibly put this to a vote of players in case some don't want to play with someone against them.
I will probably update weekly, and more regularly if everyone has posted and I have time. Please bear in mind that i have a baby due end of May so may need to take a brief hiatus or a slight delay in updating over this period.

INTERESTED?
I am looking for 6 people ideally, and if I get more than 6 applicants I will pick 3 people I would really like to play with and dice rolls for the remainder. (Hopefully 6 people are interested!)
What I will need:

Name:
Description:
Backstory:
Background profession: (This can be as imaginative as you want eg sheriff, pickpocket, accountant, gym instructor, housewife, student, garbage collector etc, and I will accomodate, although obviously some professions will serve more use than others.)
Colour for posting speech:
A vote for whether you want this to be set in Europe or America:

Bear in mind I love playing with lots of roleplay, colour and description in posts much like what is seen in Surviving Castle Heterodyne, and so I would prefer players who intend to do that rather brief posts like "Bob will inspect the shop." I'd recommend having a quick skim over SCH to get an idea of gameplay and mechanics regarding skills.
Last edited by Synch on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Children of Ash - Recruitment thread

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:09 am

Name: Chad
Description: Standing at 5'8", his long arms and lean muscles show the body of someone used to doing more small things than breaking bricks over peoples heads.
Backstory: Abandoned by his gypsy parents at the age of 10 for not meeting his quota for the last time, Chad was left on a corner of a medium sized city with little more than the clothes on his back. Life on the streets wasn't easy, but Chad was gifted with a high amount of intellect when it came to making due with what resources one had available and soon found himself in Juvey for stealing a Mercedes when he was 12. Escaping from his imprisonment taught Chad his most important lesson, don't get caught next . This lesson served him well for the next 10 years of his life as he learned a specific type of skill set: Lockpicking a variety of locks, hacking computers with ease, sneaking about through the shadows. When the plague hit and wiped out the majority of life on earth, earning an honest living became a thing of the past and chad found himself enjoying breaking into new places for the thrill of it all. This brings us to his current position in life and the second most important lesson on his list, never break into a government compound.
Background Profession: Hacker, Thief, Low Life
Color: #008000
Vote: Either

or

Name: Mr. Green
Description: Male,35, 5'10", slender, quiet, thin chin length black hair
Back story: Mr. Green has been a spy for the country of [redacted] for the last 15 years. He excels at being and looking inconspicuous and thus has no tattoos or any other distinguishing markings. His real name is [redacted] and his place of birth is [redacted]. He prefers to keep silent and wait and watch though he is able to act in an instant when it comes to defending himself. When it comes to weapons, Mr. Green prefers the use of knives, daggers & swords as they can eliminate an enemy with silence.
Here and Now: Mr. Green, having found out that he was immune to the disease was sent by [redacted] to infiltrate this specific military compound for the end goal of [redacted].
Background Profession: Spy (Stealth, Lockpicking, assassination, etc)
Color: #008000
Vote: Either
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:46 am

► Show Spoiler

Name: James McGrath, aka "Jimmy Mac", aka "Big Jimmy", aka "Jimmy Teeth"

Description: 32, 5' 5", well muscled, tattooed arm sleeves and back. Full, chest length beard, hair pulled back at base of neck. Easy grin, if slightly unstable, bright energetic eyes and demeanor. Nicked left earlobe, old puncture scar near left clavicle, other scars and tattoos present under clothing.

Backstory: Short height wise for a member of a biker gang motorcycle club, his fellow members dubbed him "Big Jimmy" as a prospect, but the name soon became a badge of honor for him as well as them as he proved himself more than capable. What he might lack in stature, he more than made up for in energy and ferocity, doing whatever was needed for the good of his club. Some such activities landed him a sentence in prison, which is where earned his other nickname. With a price on his head, another inmate tried to collect with a sharpened plastic shiv, approaching Jimmy from behind while in the yard. He was able to shift at the last moment, the shiv tearing through his earlobe and into the pocket of his collarbone. Turning to his attacker, Jimmy bit the other man in the face, tearing off his nose and upper lip before pulling free the shiv and leaving it in his attacker's femoral artery.
Once out of prison, Jimmy resumed his place in the club, rising to Sgt. at Arms, tasked with dispensing club justice where needed. At the time that the outbreak swept across the world, he and the club were on a run to pick up weapons... one of the bars or seedy establishments they stopped at must have had someone suffering from the Pox. The first sign of trouble was when their club president dropped off his bike going 70 down the highway, his body and bike being struck by other members, spilling them as well. They got their dead, dying and injured off the road and managed to get to a club owned safe house. Jimmy was the only one to walk out alive, the rest succumbing to injuries or illness.
He's currently a man adrift, losing the organization that gave him a sense of self and purpose, and then being rounded up and sequestered as a 'guest' of the government... while it's nicer than prison, he's no more free.

Background profession: Sgt. at Arms of a "Motorcycle Club"

Colour for posting speech: FF0000

A vote for whether you want this to be set in Europe or America: US of A.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 am

Name: Jacob Lowe
Description: 6'2" lean muscular man. His head and face is overgrown with long hair black hair.
Backstory: Jacob was a rock climber. He spent every minute he could on a rock face. He went from dead end job to dead end job to support himself. He worked hard, but was never passionate. He only cared enough to support his hobby. When the outbreak started he was on a month long wilderness trip, hiking and climbing his way through the wilds. When he returned to civilization, he returned to chaos. Things had already broken down. Looting was rampant and gangs had already formed and starting robbing the unsuspecting. However his climbing ability allowed him to surpass barricades and circumvent traps. His climbing ability let him sneak pass the gangs and bandits. It even let him break into building to do some looting of his own. When he found one of the last bastions of the military he thought he'd finally found a place where he'd be safe. Unfortunately that trust led to his current imprisonment. Never again.
Background profession: Climber
Colour for posting speech: #800000
Vote: Don't care where
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:48 am

Name: Paul Robinson
Description: 6' 1" early 40's, with just a regular build, slightly white at the temples of his brown hair and blue eyes behind a pair of steel rimmed glasses.
Backstory: You know Paul...from that movie...yeah and that other movie...and didn't he play the cop on that tv show?

Paul is a well regarded character actor that was one of those types who played cops, presidents, senators, etc, the respectable white male character in Hollywood. Of course during that same time period he was still in the Naval Reserve Officer Corps (Naval Construction Corps) doing his weekend training stints and his two weeks a year, slowly rising to the rank of Captain. When all hell broke loose well he was called up to try and create refugee center out on North Island near San Diego but the disease had already infected the island and the refuge was finally over run. He and his daughter were the only survivors found when they were 'picked up' and transferred to this facility. Of course he was quarantined as a 'precaution' one that the local officer in charge has decided to keep in place for apparently forever.

His biggest concern is for his daughter, Kathleen, a sixteen year old with major parental issues due to her mother, his former wife.

Background Profession: Actor/Engineer (Naval Officer Reserve)
Color for Posting Speech: #0000FF
Location Vote: Either...
Last edited by Quarg on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:00 am

read post appocolyptic instantant yes

few hours thinking time for name and such if there is room left still
and the color I always take to write in if possible
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:24 pm

I'm interested, though not familiar with the rules particularly. I'll have a think and see if I can come up with a character for tomorrow.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Looking good guys!

I've been talking with Spider, and my idea for game mechanics has changed slightly in that skills will still be used as they are in SCH, but your profession is a non-levelled constant that will give you bonuses to your Primary Skills, and relevant skill checks.
Eg Jacob Lowe will begin Level 1 Climbing (as well as two other primary skills) but will get a 1d3 bonus to Climbing tasks and any Climbing skill checks.

For tasks that take substantial time eg fixing an engine, building a vege garden etc we will use Skill rolls like SCH eg 1d5 and a required amount of CP and for instant actions like keeping a motorbike under control on gravel or jumping a gap we will use a 1d20 skill check, which will be influenced by any levels in relevant skills and your profession bonus too (if relevant.) I hope this makes sense, I will make a post explaining mechanics better and an example in an OOC thread once we have enough.

I'll look at starting this on the weekend, hopefully we should have a few more recruits by then.

If everyone is not bothered by location I'll probably lean towards smalltown America, just for easier reference eg a Walmart, a McDonalds rather than me needing to constantly research European equivalents. However if other recruits are leaning towards Europe I will happily oblige :)
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:00 pm

Synch wrote:Eg Jacob Lowe will begin Level 1 Climbing (as well as two other primary skills) but will get a 1d3 bonus to Climbing tasks and any Climbing skill checks.
Does this mean I should pick two other skills to go with them? If so: stealth and maybe... (rope skills? not sure yet)

As I understand it now:
Unskilled skills are 1d3 rolls
climbing at lvl 1 will be 1d5 (skill) + 1d3 (profession)
two other skills at lvl 1 will be 1d5

when you say climbing tasks does this relate to skills other than the climbing skill when those skills relate to climbing? aka if I was using ropes in some climbing related task (like rigging something for easier climbing for others to follow) would I get the bonus for the rope roll, but not using the rope to set a snare or something?
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:03 pm

Name: Roslyn McCardee
Description: 5'9 135 23 years old. Long red hair and green eyes, a typical Irish redhead.

Backstory: Roslyn was cute, from birth on...and she has learned how to use it to her advantage. As a child she learned that she could use impishness, a huge grin or a sad pout, and her humor to get her way from adults.
Once she hit adolescence and her looks blossomed, she learned those same tricks still worked, but now, more often just on the opposite sex. Though she is far from a tramp, she has learned that a little attention to a man can get her far. Whether she is in a bar needing a free drink, or at a job interview, or talking to a professor in a college class.
Roslyn wanted to be a doctor, but her grades weren't good enough for a scholarship, and money was short. Instead, she went to school to be a registered nurse.
As the plague started, she was just about 3 months from graduating.

Background profession: Registered nurse (almost)
Color: a dark pink, FF00BF
Vote: USA preferred

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:07 pm

Yea...some of the testosterone is evened out...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:41 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:
Synch wrote:Eg Jacob Lowe will begin Level 1 Climbing (as well as two other primary skills) but will get a 1d3 bonus to Climbing tasks and any Climbing skill checks.
Does this mean I should pick two other skills to go with them? If so: stealth and maybe... (rope skills? not sure yet)

As I understand it now:
Unskilled skills are 1d3 rolls
climbing at lvl 1 will be 1d5 (skill) + 1d3 (profession)
two other skills at lvl 1 will be 1d5

when you say climbing tasks does this relate to skills other than the climbing skill when those skills relate to climbing? aka if I was using ropes in some climbing related task (like rigging something for easier climbing for others to follow) would I get the bonus for the rope roll, but not using the rope to set a snare or something?
I will use your character as the example to explain what I propose to everyone (lucky you!)

Three primary skills will be allocated to you based on your profession, and you begin at Level 1 in all three (a 1d5 roll for tasks.) In addition to this, you will always get a standard 1d3 bonus in those three skills. Eg, if you were Level 2 climbing, you would be using 1d7 plus your 1d3.
This is designed to reflect a) previous experience in that skill and b) natural aptitude at that.
Badge's character Chad could focus more on Climbing than yours while you focus on other tasks, so his Level 3 Climbing would give him (1d5+1d3, see below), however you will have a slight advantage as you have the profession bonus of 1d7 (+1d3 bonus).

You will also be Level 1 in Ropes. This will apply to climbing rope, abseiling, knots, tying someone up, pulley systems etc. (Probably not snares, that would fall under a different skill. Mainly as snares use thin wire or twine as opposed to climbing ropes.) If you are climbing AND you have a climbing rope, you roll 2x 1d5, meaning you will accomplish your task of climbing much quicker. You will get a profession bonus too but I'm still deciding if this will stack twice. You maybe will only get one bonus as it applies to the overall scenario, not each individual skill in a scenario.

Your last skill will be Athletics. You've kept in shape, and you are naturally fitter and stronger than the others. This will affect running, jumping and other generic physical activities (but not climbing, specific skill for that.)

In regards to Skill checks, instant actions require a skill check, eg something that takes less than a minute as opposed to a long task. Eg if you were to jump a gap between buildings, you would get a 1d20 (and succeed on a 10). Whereas everyone adds +1 for each level in Athletics (if Chad had Level 1 Athletics he would get 1d20+1) you would get a profession bonus also. So your roll to succeed is 1d20+1 + 1d3, Basically, your minimum is a 3 and your max is 24, much greater odds to succeed than Chad.

Levels
Level 1 = 1d5
Level 2 = 1d7
Level 3 = 1d5+1d3
Level 4 = 2d5
Profession bonus = +1d3

Skill Check = 1d20, +1 per level of relevant skill (+1d3 profession bonus if relevant.)

TL;DR: A Level 1 headstart in three skills AND a profession bonus in those three skills. Profession bonuses apply to tasks AND skill checks.

I hope that makes sense?
Last edited by Synch on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:49 pm

I think I've forgotten to mention, I will be doing all dice rolls. This just makes things much quicker and easier. Its how SCH is run, and saves a lot of time as every time we update, all rolls are done and all the info is there, rather than waiting for everyone to plug their roll into Invisible Castle or whatever. If everyone is working away on a long task, I can also then do multiple rolls to speed up the process. I hope everyone is cool with that, let me know if its an issue.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Synch wrote: I hope everyone is cool with that, let me know if its an issue.
Works for me. ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:09 pm

hmm... i'll give it ago.

Name: Peter King
Description: A boy a 12 years old, short wiry build having not finished growing yet, has semi permanent messy black hair
Backstory: Able to take apart, fix or build most things mechanical (after some study of course) our story for Peter begins after he had just finished his undergrad study in engineering. Peter and was with his family on a trip to see his grandparents when the the airport he was in was shut down. He and his family were quarantined off along with hundreds or other air passengers. The next time period is a little bit of a blur to him but the end result was his parents and most of the other passengers were relocated and died from the disease, for some unknown reason he survived where the rest of his family did not. Distraught he was taken by the people in charge and taken to the current facility, where he has been ever since.
Being so young and with a brilliant mind people in charge tried to nurture him a little, by giving him a few things he wanted which has at least kept his mind occupied. He has made a few bonds especially to a few of the more mothering types but it hard for him to relate to anybody, which comes out as him just trying to do what the people in charge want... until he thinks of a better way anyway.
Background profession: Boy genius in mechanical engineering
Colour for posting speech:FF4000
A vote for whether you want this to be set in Europe or America: Europe
Last edited by Patdragon on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:38 pm

Sorry, typos in the above dice allocations per level. Fixed.

You're all being very useful, no mimes or divorce lawyers or fast food clerks yet :)

No Badge, no mime! Put the mime away!
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:35 am

Possibly in. Had originally decided I wasn't going to enjoy something a bit more conflict-y but realised I was probably looking at it as if I was trying to play Ursula, the Martha Stewart Spark, in this context. I'll make someone less inclined to lock herself in a closet when the bad stuff happens and should be fiiiiine :3

I've got some stuff to do this AM but will be back with a concept in a bit.

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:54 am

Name: Joshua Taylor

Description: 6'0"; 25 years old; normal build with dark-brown medium length hair and a short scraggly beard; grey eyes behind a perpetually dirty and slighly bent pair of glasses.

Backstory: Joshua is gifted with no small amount of talent, which unfortunately led to him never developing a good work ethic. He barely puts any work into something and relies on his natural talent to solve any problems, becoming either bored when things go easily or frustrated when they don't. After barely managing to make his graduation he was left without a real goal in life and aimlessly drifted from job to job, never managing to stay longer than a few weeks before becoming either bored or frustrated at an apparent lack of progress. He travelled across the country in search of a purpose in his life, doing various odd jobs with the skills he picked up from his countless jobs.

When the outbreak started he made it his goal to travel back to his hometown to find out if his family had made it as well, managing to scrape by with resourcefulness and a plethora of minor tricks he had learned. Somewhere in the middle of his journey he was picked up by the military and put into the facility. While he doesn't hate the life in the facility, he still wants to get out and find his family.

Background profession: Handyman
Color: #808080
Vote: No preference

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:15 am

Rules and mechanics are now available in full in the OOC thread. Hopefully its a bit clearer over there. Please let me know if anything requires clarification.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:49 am

With weekly updates, I think I could probably manage to keep up :)

Name: Jani Harcrow (female)

Description: Athletic build, about 5'6", age 35.

Backstory: Jani was trekking through a tropical jungle in Central Africa surveying native plants when the disease got really bad. The outbreak itself hadn't exactly come as a surprise to her. Humans were arrogant and selfish. End of story. Just keep taking what you want, doing what you want, and someone else will deal with the fallout. The warning signs had been there for decades, not that anyone really cared. As long as Big Business and the Media kept on saying things were fine, plenty of people were happy to believe them. She knew better of course, but unlike most other folk, she actually did. Most of her early career in fact had been spent looking for new plant species that might contain genes that could be spliced into crops to make them more resistant to disease (or droughts or poor nutrition or any of the dozens of other ways humans had screwed things up). She worked for one of the largest crop producers in the world and knew how the game was played. Outwardly, the company was secure. Blas├®, almost. Internally, they were frantic. Keeping up production and profits in the face of constantly-evolving natural diseases was a war they were not winning. That was was how she ended up being recruited. That, and they had an excellent pension programme. What? Everyone has a price.

By the time she had completed her expedition, the cities were in lock-down. Flights were being cancelled and the military had moved in to stop people from travelling. Her company was well-connected though and a few "fees" to the right people saw her on a plane heading home. She was quarantined on her return, just as expected. When her tests came back positive... That was not a good week. Thing is, it's been three months now and she's still fine... Still in some quarantine facility, but... fine.

Background profession: Botanist / professional cynic.

Colour for posting speech: #008080 please :)

A vote for whether you want this to be set in Europe or America: I fancy Europe for a change.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:07 am

Name: Honey, no surname given.

Description: Caucasian, around 5'9. Lean and tanned with dirty blonde hair that looks like it was cut with gardening shears, dark coffee-brown eyes that never quite rest, callused hands and a lopsided smile. Honey's age is difficult to pinpoint; she could be as young as mid-teens or as old as late twenties. She lacks much in the way of womanly curves, shaped like a girl in the middle of a growth spurt, but her eyes are hard and sun-lined, and closer inspection of that wonky smile suggests it's due to a previously-broken cheekbone.

Backstory: Honey is a recent arrival, brought in long after the start of the quarantine, a subject with apparent natural immunity. She was brought to the facility in a straitjacket, or so the rumours say. One of the other rumours is that she started that rumour herself so she'd be left alone. She seems nice enough and she co-operates with the researchers, and the orderlies, and the army guards, and she even helped that one guy who tried to grow lettuce in a window box and wondered why it wouldn't germinate, and now there's fresh salad. But she doesn't talk to anyone about where she was before, or how she survived, or why she's not infected, or why she's alone now, not even when they try to bribe her with extra privileges - or punish her by taking the ones she has away. She's a quiet girl an' a good girl. Her paw told her never to trust a stranger, and just 'cos he dead now don't mean he weren't right.

Background profession: Doomsday prepper. o:)

Posting colour: I post from my phone a heck of a lot so I'm afraid it's likely to be black. But when I can, I'll try for Honey, #BF8040.

America suits my character, but I have no problem with the concept of my little Southern Belle being air-freighted across to the continent.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:16 am

nikohl wrote:America suits my character, but I have no problem with the concept of my little Southern Belle being air-freighted across to the continent.
Similarly, Jimmy is 'Murican, but if you want the setting to be Europe, or NZ, or whatever, that's fine by me.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:29 am

I am interested. But i need to think a bit to figure out what to make so this is a place holder.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:15 pm

name: larry fillmore
Description: Male 28, 1 78 long black curly hair tied up in a bun on the back of his head, big scruffy beard
Back story: larry filmore, often referred to as larry flowers is as he often puts it himself born in the wrong decade, referring to himself as a trueborn hippy, he identifies with the 60's peace and love lifestyle and dresses and smells like they used to do. as a highschool drop out he did many odd jobs, he was farmers helper for a few month but was fired when he broke out all the animals before they could be moved to the slaughter house . adopting a strict vegan diet from then on forward, after a few years touring with his alternative indie folk band bald man's balls he started his own treehouse building company touring his way through building treehouses.
while the apocalypse happened larry lived in his own treehouse up somewhere in the woods in arkansa, living off grid growing his own food not noticing society broke down he got in his biofuel running van and drove down to utah for burning man when he was caught by the scientists
larry trivia
- he is an avid bongo and guitar player
- he does not believe in vaccinations
- the moon landing was a hoax everybody knows that
- he doesn't believe in regular bathing either
- he used to work as a chef in "beans no pork vegan food"
- he is a pacifist he will not use violence against anybody not even to defend himself
- he has a hatred for the army and any form of authority
- he blames the government for the disaster
Background Profession: treehouse builder (farmer, carpenter, chef, )
Vote: america

larry is the opposite of all the many man posted above
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Synch
Game Master

Re: Children of Ash - Recruitment Closed

Post by Synch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:59 pm

I think America suits best, sorry to those who preferred Europe. Maybe another game at some stage.

Argh 10 people! You've all come up with great characters and I really don't want to cut anyone out!
I'm wondering if 10 will be too many for a game like this, thats a LOT of book-keeping. M0rtimer has 10 in PTU, but everyone keeps a track of their own stats and we really can't do that in this game.

Let me have a think.
► Show Spoiler