An Adventure in Aldra (Intrest/Recruitment)

Dlover
Game Master

Re: An Adventure in Aldra (Intrest/Recruitment)

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:47 am

Tea wrote:[I don't exactly see a fireball waiting politely after it's been planted until the right time to go off.
That's where fire elementals come into play.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:28 am

Tea wrote:
Quarg wrote: Two Questions:
Why does someone with fire-magic need to have the skills of an arsonist? I am wondering what general skills you want to bring with Cliche?
Is he supposed to be from a powerful family, middling family, or weak family?
Two(ish) answers.
#1. Turns out the word I wanted is saboteur all along. An arsonist doesn't need the fire, but the saboteur can break things that aren't easily flammable. I was thinking it would be useful for determining places to strategically place explosives (or fireballs) or just being familiar with some building layouts (even if he's not planning on defacing it). And he might know someone who can supply the gunpowder/other explosives. Fire is nice, but I don't exactly see a fireball waiting politely after it's been planted until the right time to go off.
Yet isn't sabotage a skill set of a spy? Er...maybe not...but Alchemist may give you more of what you want in capability with less overlap with Spy.

I will look forward to having lots of things to revise. Maybe there's a better way to get Pyre to hide out at the inn than provoking his paranoia....
Actually, it works fairly well so far...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:10 am

I just added the Mar guide to the first post as most of it isn't really special knowledge.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:15 am

Quarg wrote:
And yeah, I'm intentionally letting you guys push out ideas...I prefer it actually...

But don't ask me how to bring a Space Pirate usefully into this game...
Are other races doable? You set a size limit, and had some background for a few races, but are kobolds, orcs, etc. fair game as well, or too hard to work in as 'uncivilized' folk?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:01 am

No, 'uncivilized folks' are not too hard to work in.
Current drafts have the current nearby Orcs being a fairly peacful nomadic race. There being a difference with those from the East who are far more 'civilized' but also in a perpetual war with a different human civilization. I was going to use those Orc's as some mercs within the game themselves. But they can be PC too if you want.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:44 am

Name: Korbrok Ironback
Race: Dwarf
Physicality: 4'8", 185lb
Appearance: Dark grey hair is streaked through with white at the temples, hair typically shorn short at the sides, so the white only shows as it grows out. Hair on top is worn in a messy plait that trails down to his shoulders. Beard is grizzled and full, reaching to mid belly. He's powerfully muscled, and big by most dwarven standards, having put on a bit of a belly in his later years. Typically wears only his leather breeches and a leather apron while working at the forge, will, on occasion make concessions to societal norms or temperature and wear a much patched linen shirt and woolen jacket.

Background: Trained as a young apprentice in the trade of blacksmithing, Korbrok worked many years just doing smithing the way he'd been taught as an apprentice, never questioning the techniques. He never rose to the level of master smith, always just working in the background, doing the grunt work that needed doing. As he got older, his temper got shorter, and perhaps a bit of senility started to creep in. This eventually lead to him neglecting to use tongs to move a hot blade from the furnace to the anvil, instead just willing it there, because that's where it needed to be. The glowing bar of metal floated its way to the anvil, he struck it until it began to cool, and returned it to the furnace to heat. It wasn't until he completed the forging that he realized his tongs were still hanging on their peg on the wall. The ability to move things with his mind opened up new possibilities for him, and after mastering the ability to move and manipulate things as needed while forging, he eventually began to grow bored and seek some adventure in his later age.

Cliches:
  • Telekinetic(4)
  • Blacksmith (2)
  • Berserker (4)
Gear:
  • Forging Hammer +1
  • Leather Apron
  • Warhammer +2
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Are you still taking players? I've had a spare bit of time today to read thru most of the setup and have a rough idea for a character, but I'll not bother fleshing out the details if you're full.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:18 pm

Yes there is an opening, So far I've had interest shown by five players with four proposing characters and I said six slots.

Oh and note that you can play an uncivilized race like Orc if you want, I realize my last reply on that subject might have been confusing... :P

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:43 pm

All right, this is what I have but let me know if it doesn't fit. I thought it'd be interesting to have him as a sort of Jekyll and Hyde guy but I have no idea if it'll work in the mechanics.

Name: One-Eye.
Race: Goblin
Physicality: 4'6"
Appearance: One-Eye has a habit of wearing a multitude of religious symbols as tattoos and jewellery to try and allay his various fears which makes him jangle slightly as he walks around. He is otherwise fairly ordinary looking for a goblin; he has a fairly athletic build, but is certainly on the skinny side. He has recently developed a nervous twitch and doesn't look like he's been sleeping very well. He also wears a patch over his left eyesocket, having lost the eye I an unfortunate accident as a youngling

Background: Once an aspiring pirate, the strange occurrences that tend to happen when One-Eye is around got him kicked out of virtually every band of rogues he signed up with for bringing bad luck to the crews. The truth is, One-Eye has the ability to, albeit unwittingly, summon demons. He has no control over the phenomenon at present, and the power manifests whenever he is frightened, usually as his shadow creeping to life just out of his line of sight. He has moved into the mercenaries guild to hopefully figure out how to remove his "curse" and in the hopes that his compatriots can hopefully look after themselves when he accidentally summons a demon when sleeping or anything. Also they have a bar and that helps somewhat.

Cliches:
  • Summoner(2)
  • Pirate (4)
  • Burglary (3)
  • Alcohol tolerance (1)
Gear:
  • Rapier
  • Good-luck charms
  • Hipflask
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Quarg wrote: Yet isn't sabotage a skill set of a spy? Er...maybe not...but Alchemist may give you more of what you want in capability with less overlap with Spy.
Okay, maybe Spy is a pretty broad discipline and encompasses a nice swath of skills already. The overlapping cliches might be because I was trying to make things more coherent (too disparate and it's hard to wrap my head around all these elements, so it looks like I may have overcompensated). Hm....maybe I'll abandon the Arsonist/Saboteur and take the opportunity to give this character a more fighting discipline (sure, he's not a putz with a sword with Spy, but I don't think he's too confident with it either). Now that the lovely Mar guide is up, I see a few revisions with the character background I can do...and I need to figure out for whom this spy is working and how closely they're related now that there's lots of nice, new information to sift through.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:46 pm

Name: Mapmaker v06
Race: Golem
Time since creation: 137 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, 43 minutes and 12 seconds
Physicality: 5' 6"

Appearance: Not built for strength or heavy lifting, this golem is on the lighter and smaller side than normal golems. Various runes are over it's body.
Background:
A golem deemed Mapmaker v6 was created to explore and map out the world. The lightweight and various runes on it's body allows it to fly itself with magic force. The creators however neglected to implement when the golem is supposed to finish this task. The creators have long since been dead and the golem is in no rush to finish it's task. Maker has explored various parts of the world and made some minor maps, some which it promptly tore up.

quarg helped me with the cliques and stuff.

Explorer (4), Iron Golem (1), Telekinesis (3), Navigator (2)
Internal Chronometer+1 (Time)
Telescopic Attachment +2

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:27 am

Thinks, one question is the background says he's an amature summoner...his dice says he's an expert...
Also, I'd allow you to combine sea faring and Swashbuckling into Pirate...(see my example above)

Note: I allowed all of you three +1 objects or one +3 object...(I couldn't think of one for Burns)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:24 am

Ok, I swapped some skills about. Does that work?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:33 am

Yeah, the last one worked...
There were just some inconsistencies

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:40 am

Cool! Looking forward to it starting

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:43 am

I was thinking maybe a vision augment (thermal, ultraviolet, night) or a powerful light

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:21 pm

You could just improve the score of the telescope to +2, since getting darkvision would require changing a cliche'

Also, I plan on posting the start of the thread hopefully tommorrow...I'm waiting on a response from one of the players on an item that might effect how I start the story.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:53 pm

All of mine look OK to you then?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:24 pm

A plus +1 leather apron seems strange but otherwise fine...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:46 pm

I've neglected gear since I keep changing cliches around, but now that things are settling, my character is a putz with a sword, but, maybe not with his trusty +3 dagger.
Although.... a +1 cloak and with a +2 dagger means I can work the phrase "cloak and dagger" in somewhere. And the added concealment would be quite useful.

I will hope to have a more,....finalized....character (he's accumulating minor changes and I haven't updated anything yet) soon. There's noting quite like an impending deadline to realize I was off on a bit of a tangent and there are more important things to settle down.

Edit: Okay, how's this for gear?
AuditorÔÇÖs Robes (or some kind of badge of office) +1
Mysterious Dagger Found on My FatherÔÇÖs Person after the Accident That Killed Him and IÔÇÖm Just Waiting for Enough Evidence to Convict the People Whom I Know Were Responsible [but I donÔÇÖt have any proof yet so itÔÇÖs pretty much just a nice dagger +2]

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Tea wrote:I've neglected gear since I keep changing cliches around, but now that things are settling, my character is a putz with a sword, but, maybe not with his trusty +3 dagger.
Although.... a +1 cloak and with a +2 dagger means I can work the phrase "cloak and dagger" in somewhere. And the added concealment would be quite useful.

I will hope to have a more,....finalized....character (he's accumulating minor changes and I haven't updated anything yet) soon. There's noting quite like an impending deadline to realize I was off on a bit of a tangent and there are more important things to settle down.

Edit: Okay, how's this for gear?
AuditorÔÇÖs Robes (or some kind of badge of office) +1
Mysterious Dagger Found on My FatherÔÇÖs Person after the Accident That Killed Him and IÔÇÖm Just Waiting for Enough Evidence to Convict the People Whom I Know Were Responsible [but I donÔÇÖt have any proof yet so itÔÇÖs pretty much just a nice dagger +2]
Gear suggestion:
Sukra Battle Cloak +1 (It sort of like wearing a British army jacket when going to work at the Pentagon, the other choice would be a Mar Battle Coat.
K'zar Death Dagger +2
Lieutenant Auditor Badge
I let you figure out what else he is wearing...
Last edited by Quarg on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:10 pm

Deal!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:41 pm

Quarg wrote:A plus +1 leather apron seems strange but otherwise fine...
Yeah, I don't picture him carrying much else though. Smithing apron made of dragon hide?

Or some sort of pendant that helps focus his mind?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:10 pm

A set of dwarven chain mail?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:45 pm

Maybe. I was thinking bare chested raving berserker, but a properly armed and armored, controlled rage might fit the blacksmith aesthetic better. Chainmail works.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler