D&D 5e - The Wandering Archipelago

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: D&D 5e (1 space left) - Set-up phase

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:01 am

Ooooh i thought I got them because of the pact, my bad. For now i think hex and rebuke would be my choices.

What level are we starting at?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Ooooh i thought I got them because of the pact, my bad. For now i think hex and rebuke would be my choices.

What level are we starting at?
That's what I figured, it differs from Clerics, who DO get them as part of their domain. Thinks said we'll start at 1st level.

***Edit: I have a character building app for my phone, which makes all the decisions to be made much quicker (like 5 min instead of 20-30). If anyone is struggling to build out, I'm willing to help.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:16 am

That's wears and spider for the rules help!

Wears, there is a relatively small pantheon of gods in the world which I haven't quite pinned down yet. Consider it free choice for the time being if you have a favourite or else I'll get a list made for tonight. I don't think your background will let you pick anyone troublesome to the world lore :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:18 am

Yup, as spider says there's a free Android app that's pretty great and only costs a couple of bucks. Well worth the money if you have it, otherwise I'll also be around to help (especially this evening).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:32 am

thinkslogically wrote:Yup, as spider says there's a free Android app that's pretty great and only costs a couple of bucks. ).
The one I use is "Fifth Edition Character Sheet", which I think has a free version and a premium version that has more stuff. I have my RL character on it as well as all of my players in my game here, so I can reference their stuff quickly.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Re: D&D 5e (full) - Set-up phase

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:38 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Mage Hand and Mending are both useful under the right circumstances.
I felt that Mending would be particularly useful with the island setting. So long as any boats don't spring too large a leak it can be fixed fairly easily.
spiderwrangler wrote:The Wild Magic bit is interesting, I'd figure majority of other dragonborn sorcerers would be of the Draconic origin sort, so might be another layer of "hey, this guy's trouble, send him away"
That adds another layer, yeah. Maybe his clan were considered "nobles" because of the Draconic Sorcery being common, thus making them more like true dragons. I was trying to decide how a dragonborn would have a Noble background, and that's probably the best solution. But also Draconic Origin doesn't seem that interesting outside of the level 1 and 14 features. Wild Magic is 100% chaos, pure fun. The features seem a little more useful too.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:What level are we starting at?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:41 am

And with Wild Magic, you probably have a need to fix things regularly. :lol:

My Sorcerer in my RL campaign was employed prior to the start of the game in a library where he used Prestidigitation and Mending to clean are repair texts.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 am

Hopefully Luck's with me and the Wild Magic won't go against me too much.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:59 am

So... Using the character creator (and point buy system)
I get this character

Hill Dwarf, cleric, folk hero.
https://imgur.com/a/9o7Pd

How does that look stat/equipment vise for you Thinks?
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 am

You're actually jumping the gun a little there LAYF! I was going to focus on creating the characters first and get to stats in a bit. Were also going to roll for stats rather than use a point buy (unless you roll crappily and then you can buy).

Anyway, I'll need to check the gear later when I'm back at my books, but if you could pad out your character background etc that would be great.

If you guys can also think about how you know each other that would be great. Is this trade venture something you set up yourselves? Do you have a financial backer? Or have you just come here with the promise of work from someone?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:40 am

LAYF wrote:Hill Dwarf, cleric, folk hero.
Weren't you mountain?
thinkslogically wrote: Is this trade venture something you set up yourselves? Do you have a financial backer? Or have you just come here with the promise of work from someone?
I think my character would have been more of a hired hand, as a (reformed...*ahem*) smuggler, unless there was the potential for joining up with the group under the financial backing of someone else.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49 am

@spider... Right you are, my mistake...

@Thinks, ah sorry... I was a bit hasty while reading the character creator app thing... I'll write story instead...
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am

No problem at all :) it's not going to be wasted effort, you might just need to adjust your stats after we make the rolls!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 am

My rolling finger is getting antsy! When do you think you'll be ready to have us do that?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:29 am

Ach, just go ahead - we'll use the same principle as in your game where you can choose to keep your rolled values or a standard point buy array. If you can roll in the coyotecode website and post your results link here that would be great. I think you roll 4d6 for each stat and then keep the highest 3 values, right?

If you know what your doing, you can go ahead and choose your starting gear too. Just pm me if you want to switch anything out.

Mind and let me know who else in the party you already know (and how) and what your relationship with them is.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 am

_: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 3, 6, 6] = 15
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 5, 5, 2] = 13
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 2, 2, 5] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 1, 6, 6] = 16
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 3, 4, 6] = 13
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 2, 1, 6] = 11

Correct, make 6 rolls of 4d6.high(3) in coyotecode.net and it will keep the 3 highest rolls of the 4. Not bad at all.

With Racial bonus, stats are

STR:11
DEX: 18
CON: 13
INT: 11
WIS: 15
CHA: 14

Taking dagger, 10 darts, explorer's pack, dice set, thieves' tools, cook's utensils, clothes. (Will add those to sheet) Some of those I only have proficency in, not possession of.

If Dlover's open to it, and it fits the character, the noble dragonborn or its family may have been past clients that I had smuggled goods for? Or anyone else that is open to having associated with a smuggler in their pasts. If no one would have dabbled, the monastery I spent time with may have had a connection of some sort to Wears acolyte background. Other than that, if the trading venture lead to interested parties looking for someone skilled in such things, I may have offered my services.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:49 am

The noble background could give access to a source of money (e.g. through a family fund) if you are e.g. friends setting up a new venture of your own?

What your venture is and how it's funded will provide a ton of plot hooks to get us started, which is why I'm interested to know what you guys are actually up to ic.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:52 am

Right on. At this point, I don't see myself as having a bunch of cash to finance the venture, since my business and world fell apart. But I would have the expertise to move product, have contacts in the commercial/financial world, etc. Possibly may have heard rumors of XYZ being the up and coming spot to begin establishing trade?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:57 am

Darr├╝nk ÔÇØGreenfistÔÇØ Orebeard
Standing tall even among other mountain dwarfs, Darr├╝k is proud of his miners heritage, but his folks at home are even more so.
A few years ago, Darr├╝ks group was mining a rich iron ore when suddenly the walls caved in and buried all his friends. A Goblin raiding party had broken through the walls of the mine, ready to kill and plunder.
Darr├╝k prayed to insert good aligned dwarf god and then fought off the goblins with one hand while digging with the other.
Through the act of divine, a voice spoke to him of glory and he felt as if his strength and resolve grew a thousand fold, and by that miracle he succeeded in both fending off the invaders, and also save his comrades. This was when he decided to become a Cleric.
How he fits into the group
While Darr├╝k as other dwarfs are quick to judge, he also has a great capacity when it comes to second chances. This also descripes the circomstances of how he meet [anyone up for being a ÔÇ£once bad now reddemedÔÇØ ??]
First taking [that one] for nothing but , events soon but them in a situation where they were forced to rely on each otherÔÇÖs proves in battle. [that one] at one point had an easy exit that would leave Darr├╝k to fend for himself. But he did not, he stayed by the dwarfs side and fought till both were free.

Needs work, I know. But this is a start.
Anyone up for the role of the ÔÇ£once bad now (in Darr├╝ks eyes) redeemed, or at least redeemableÔÇØ

Then we can figure out how we got on this adventure from there.

my scores are:

_: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 6, 3, 5] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 1, 6, 5] = 15
4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 1, 5, 5] = 16
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 3, 5, 3] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 4, 5, 1] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 4, 3, 4] = 11

GThat will be

Str 15 +2 (Mtn Dwarf)
Dex 11
Con 14 +2 (Dwarf)
Int 11
Wis 16
Cha 12
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:07 pm

So what made darruk leave home and travel halfway across the world to set up a trade job in a frontier town? What continent to you see him as coming from? There will be mines all over the world, so it's feasible he was contracted out to work as a miner in westmark/estermark because of his dwarf skills before turning to his life as a cleric.

Direct divine intervention isn't really a thing in this setting (for reasons), so he wouldn't have heard a voice so much as possibly felt himself imbued with new strength. That's a minor change I hope, but would keep him consistent with what I have in mind.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:15 pm

If no one else fits the role of 'redeemable scallywag', I'm willing to step into that role.

My initial pass at a character backstory... can be modified to fit that of others.

Korrik Tallpine

Lightfoot Halfling Monk Criminal
3'10", 38lb. 27years old.

Smuggler Specialty

Personality Traits:
I always have a plan for when things go wrong.
The first thing I do in a new place is note the locations of everything valuable - or where such things could be hidden.

Ideals:
I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.

Bonds:
Someone I love died because of of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.

((My brother, Benro. We double crossed a client, at my insistence. Benro was carrying the item we were smuggling, tucked away in hold of a ship, while I was lining up the next job. The client found out, had the ship searched and boarded. My brother was found, and hung.))
  • Why are you taking this risk / opportunity?
    A life of smuggling has given me insight into the darker side of commerce, but after losing my brother, I'm attempting to go straight.
  • What do you hope to gain?
    A new beginning, and distance from the client who may or may not be aware of my existence.
  • Where did you come from?
    Benro and I operated out of Creetown, though we were originally from a small halfling community upriver from there.
  • What / who are you leaving behind?
    My past. My brother and I operated our smuggling operation under codenames, but after his death, I didn't dare return home, in the event that I was being watched or searched for. I'm not certain whether our parents and sister even know that he's been killed.
  • What did you do before you decided to come out here?
    It's been about a year and a half since Benro's death, I headed inland, and spent the better part of that year earning my keep at a small monastery outside of Wyndmere (if that works, otherwise elsewhere on Estermark). I worked mainly in the kitchens, but eventually took part in some of daily activities, and found the meditative practice of the brothers there too be soothing in my grieving and a balm to my paranoia.
  • How have you been able to pay for the trip?
    A life time of smuggling doesn't come without having learned how to hide away on ships and carriages without being detected. I made my way to Caero a few months back and have been kicking around some of the towns looking for some means to earn a living that might not rely entirely on smuggling. That's when I heard of this venture.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:20 pm

thinkslogically wrote:So what made darruk leave home and travel halfway across the world to set up a trade job in a frontier town? What continent to you see him as coming from?
This will depend a bit on who he will team up with "first" in his background..

I want his "mine"/home to be close to where he meets this person..

I'm thinking he leaves home after the "redemption event" originally out of friendly affection, later due to the fact he actually enjoys adventures, and feels a sense of purpose in helping the others stay safe and alive...
thinkslogically wrote: Direct divine intervention isn't really a thing in this setting (for reasons), so he wouldn't have heard a voice so much as possibly felt himself imbued with new strength. That's a minor change I hope, but would keep him consistent with what I have in mind.
It's no problem at all, I can change that to his own inner voice. But it does make me wonder, how does the clerics of this world view their gods and their commands/ideals?
Is it then based more on tradition and/or structured scripture as with modern religion (where en classical fearun many clerics and priest directly hear the gods or their servants)
(need to know this to figure his play style...
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Yes, the teachings of the gods are remembered from teachings and written accounts from centuries / millenia past. Divine power is present in the world (or there could be no clerics / paladins) but there has been no direct communication with the gods or their avatars recorded for a very, very long time.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:40 pm

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Okay I can work with that.

@Spider/Thinks. If korrik takes the roll (I think he will fit perfectly) I purpose the following story for Darr├╝k:

Folk hero:
Durring an attemptet rade from a Goblin party, Darr├╝k found himself the last standing dwarf, fighting multiple goblins. Thinking back to the teachings of (Good dwarf god) he recited the fifth verse of faith and clanhood from the big book, the words inspired and filled him with power to fend off the invading forces. From that day Darr├╝k found that helping others in battle and hardship was the way for him.

Personality traits:
You get a second chance, but only one!
Will judge people fast, but I will allow my opinion to be changed.

Ideals:
If I say I stand by you, I do, I will fight for you until I die, but if you betray me, I will leave you to the judgment of your foes.

Bonds:
I will not be the last man standing; my role is to make sure others stand, even if I have to carry them.

Flaw:
I get carried away in good stories, even to the point where it makes my observance and resolve shake or shatter.
  • Why are you taking this risk:
    Darr├╝k decided to go out and see the greater parts of the world, but already after a month in the open he found himself surrounded by a group of toughs who mistook him and a random Halfling (Korrik) for someone else, seeing as Korrik stood by his side in this fight even do he could had made an easy escape, he decided to stay with him for now.
    (The toughs were in fact after Korrik and his brother, but Darr├╝k does not know this and thinks it was just a coincidence)
  • What do you hope to gain:
    Friendship worth dying for, stories to bring back home, memories for life.
  • Where did you come from:
    A small dwarf and Gnome community just a few days march from Wettlesmol.
  • Who are you leaving behind:
    My widowed father and seven smaller siblings, but we are on good terms and I expect to return with stories for the wee ones.
  • Backstory:
    Miner family in a Dwarf/Gnome community. The metals in the mine were no good for weapons, but perfect for smaller jewelry and trinkets. So the Dwarfs mined and the Gnomes tinkered
  • How have you been able to pay for the trip:
    Even do my family was common folks, the status as folk hero after the goblin raid has earned me a great deal of favors from the other Dwarfs and Gnomes, when I decided to set out, they gave me a great deal of items to sell (most of those money have now been used up) Running low on cash, when Korrik mentioned this job (and adventure) opportunity I did not hesitate to accept it.
-Best regards LAYF