World of Darkness - The beginning of a Nightmare

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

World of Darkness - The beginning of a Nightmare

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:33 am

You are all in luck.

I love WoD so much, that I am going to do my best to run a game.

If there is any interest, prior to making a character I would like to say the following.

1. Much like Spiders games lately, this will require you to roll on a dice rolling website.
2. I would like to run a game in which you are all the same race, please suggest which race you would like to play, and place into a "vote list" as needed.
3. Time period is up for grabs, suggest a time period and then create a "vote list" as needed.

I'm going to begin scouring the internet for the books, as I own none of them, but have already found a few that fell off the back of a digital truck.

Once a race has been picked, you can go about setting up your characters and assuming you all know how to play in the WoD setting, we'll begin once we get to that point. Setup might take a week or so for me to figure out some of the details as I will most likely be making up a story rather than using one from a book.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: WoD - The beginning of a Nightmare

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:36 am

One small question: what's WoD?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: WoD - The beginning of a Nightmare

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:43 am

World of Darkness.

Races are:
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Wraith
Changeling
Hunter
Mummy
(I may have forgotten some)

Time periods: Anything within reason.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: World of Darkness - The beginning of a Nightmare

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:50 am

Ok... I still don't know it. Can you briefly describe how it works?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:52 am

To expand on what Badge answered. (its awesome...)
► Show Spoiler
With all that said:
Before i vote on a "race" what system are we using? WoD, nWoD or WoD 20th eddition?
and more importantly, what setting are we using, the old or the new?
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:57 am

I'm most famililar with the original WoD set.

I'll be doing a lot of reading, as though I've played in a WoD game, I've never Dm'd one, so I'll be learning as I go, with a lot of cramming leading up to starting.

From the looks of the books I've found. nWoD

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Old world of darkness is generally known for having a better setting and great rules if you will only use one of the major races.
New world of darkness has a more "relaxed" setting (no big bad evil, more local) and have more streamlined rules that allows for easy mix between all the races.

Basicly, in old world of darkness, each race had its own rule system, so different from the others, that they had to include rules for each other race for them to "work together" (So in vampire, you'd find rules for mages, and werewolves, and in mage you find form the others, same with werewolf. but the rules would NOT mix at all)
while the new has a World of darkness rules, and each race then adds/uses those rules, so they all can mix.
New world of darkness also did away with a lot of extra rolls, making it a "faster" game...

Edit: 20th edition is a Vampire setting only, taking the great setting from old world of darkness and applying it to a rules system that looks more like new world of darkness.
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:06 pm

faster is probably better when it comes to forum based. But as I said, would prefer to keep it to a simple race, for simplistic sake.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks LAYF, that's a really comprehensive description :) What are the mechanics like? Are they fairly simple or are we talking d&d style?

If it's complex I'll probably bow out now since I don't have a lot of time for learning new games.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:15 pm

The mechanics are even easier than D&D. imo

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:19 pm

The mechanics are purely d10 pool system. with some conditions/abilities granting +/-
you roll the pool, get a number of "successes, rerolls and dots" if you have enough successes you succeed, you may have to roll another roll to see how well in some cases.
there are also prolonged rolls, where you need to roll each round until a number of successes are meet, a winning condition is meet, a loosing condition is hit or a round with no successes.
it is really simple... (more than i made it sound like)

okay..

Then my suggestion, knowing the forum and all the games, would be Werewolf: The forsaken. or Vampire: The Requiem.
While my favorite game is Mage the awakening, if this is your first time being a Story teller (Wod word for GM) i think any system besides the two first would be unfair to you. (They have a steep learning curve and high freedom)

Or Hunter of course...

So... my list would be:

Werewolf: the forsaken - 1 vote : LAYF
Vampire: The Requiem -
Hunter: The Vigil -
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Ok, and the GM just takes our actions and tells us when to roll and stuff?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Mostly yes...
Say: I want to shoot.
Then you take a number of die equal to dex + firearm skills. The ST (gm) then tell you of you need to subtract or add dice for anything.
You roll, and tell how many successes you got.

Won't go into detail until a system I choosen, to avoid confusion :)
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Ok that seems easy enough. Still not sure I'll have time for another game, but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Okay.

Badge, I'll just make a list of the games, are there any of these you do not want to be the story teller of?:

--Old world of darkness--

Vampire: The Masquerade
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Mage: The Ascension
Wraith: The Oblivion
Changeling: The Dreaming
Hunter: The Reckoning
Mummy: The Resurrection
Demon: The Fallen
Orpheus

-- New world of darkness--
Vampire: The Requiem
Werewolf: The Forsaken
Mage: The Awakening
Hunter: The Vigil
Promethean: The Created
Changeling: The Lost
Geist: The Sin-Eaters
Mummy: The Curse
Demon: The Descent
Beast: The Primordial

As a new ST I'd suggest going with one of the first four of new world of darkness, maybe not Mage, as it can be hard to handle (but is my favorite)

I have not tried Mummy, Demon or Beast from nWoD so I can't say anything about them...
-Best regards LAYF

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Interesting, but I'm like Thinks. I don't know that I could take on another game right now. I'll watch and see how things go. I've heard of WoD and a little about the mechanics, but I've never seen how the game was played. I'll have to watch a little before I could make up my mind (or wrap up one of the other games first).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Actually badge, what will your update schedule be? I know you like to keep things moving :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:25 pm

Hah... That's true. Though this was more me putting the idea out there. I'd that means waiting a few months until time frees up for potential players... That just gives me more time to get material together.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am

So... I was looking around and found this nice description of the difference between old and new world of darkness
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Chronicles_of_Darkness
-Best regards LAYF

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:19 pm

Okay some quick questions, I've only played vamp, tiny bit of mage and tiny bit of changling. 1: are malkavians a thing? 2: what is a wraith? 3: whtlat is demon and 4: what is orpheus?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:14 am

Using the wiki that's been linked so far:

Wraith. From what I gather, they're the angsty teenagers of spirits, tied to the world by their regrets, which are themselves connected by "fetters" which are objects or entities which the wraith has a strong connection to. Wraiths which have resolved the regret tied to a fetter are generally recognised as stronger, though that's because of the intelligence and strength it takes to do so. The destruction of a fetter... That part seems complicated. They're recognised as being more mature than new wraiths, and they often rule the ghost world thing, but other wraiths tend to look down on them for losing their fetters?
On death and becoming a wraith, a person's mind is split into two - The psyche which contains their personality and their shadow, which is their negative and self-defeating thoughts. These halves are in conflict and gain or lose power depending on what emotions the wraith experiences (For itself or through others).

Demon. Uh... Okay, that one's complicated. There's a lot to read through, but at a glance they're fallen angels who sided with Lucifer. They're spiritual beings which must possess living bodies to interact with the world. They... Seem to be generally insane, but possessing a human body can sometimes help them to recover from that, in which case they start to recover their strength a little. Looks like they've got Faith and Torment mechanics, wherein Faith is used to heal the host body and Torment... Makes them suffer more from holy stuff, I think? Uh... They also get benefits based on what kind of angel they were before they fell.

Orpheus. It's a storyline regarding... Looks like basically an entire company of Ghost Busters. Normal humans who've come close to death can learn to separate from their bodies, and work with friendly ghosts "for investigations into hauntings, fumigating raging spirits, and other spooky tasks." They're basically normal humans, though, so if they were to interact with anything like werewolves or vampires they'd just be prey.

As for interest... I might take interest, but I've got to focus on my classes a fair bit, so I'm not sure I'd have time for another game.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:18 am

What Dlover said.

As for malkavians, they belong to old world of darkness.
New world of darkness has what they call malkovians, but while malkavian was a bloodline for it self, malkovians are a sub bloodline to the ventru bloodline... Not as out there as malkavian, but still crazy enough to earn them the nickname "the lunatics"
-Best regards LAYF

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 am

I'd rather have the old one!

Ahem, anyways I think my preferred order is this:
Changling
Mage
Beast
Werewolf
Demon
Prometheon/mummy

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:18 am

Ok, this is waaaay over my head :) I'll probably follow the first game and maybe join a later one once I get a better feel for the lore and stuff.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:35 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I'd rather have the old one!
If you talk about vampire Malkavians, I 100% agree, generally I think the old Vampire setting was waaaaay better than the new one, only the rules are better in new vampire....
Arch Lich Burns wrote: Ahem, anyways I think my preferred order is this:
Changling
Mage
Beast
Werewolf
Demon
Prometheon/mummy
Personally I'm not so much for changeling, mostly because I've never had a good ST in it, and find the setting a bit dull.

I'd love myself a mage game, but that would in my world have to be the new system, as the old was kind of really broken. New mage is also the game I have second most experience in. (with old vampire taking the first place)

Beast I have no experience with.

If we settle for Werewolf I'd be okay with both old and new, I like the old flavor the most, but must admit the the new rules are superior...

Demon was awesome in the old, but horrible op vs anything not demon or angel. I have no experience with the new.

With Prometheon and mummy I've only tried mummy, and that only once with a ST who felt like she had been forced to run it... So can't judge there.

So. Should I list the same games as burns I'd list them:

Mage (if new)
Werewolf (old or new)
Demon (old, I think, don't know new)
Beast/Mummy/Prometheon/Changeling share last place,and I'd probably not join any of them as they don't really speak to me in any way, but I'd let time tell, if the intro was catching I may change my mind.
-Best regards LAYF