July 31st - I'm not a goblin

Discuss the comic here!
Eaglem
Remains Silent

Re: July 31st - I'm not a goblin

Post by Eaglem » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:16 am

Can we appreciate that Fumbles, the 1/11 of everything class, is now a 1/15 fortune teller of 15 different fortune tellers. G** D*** Thunt! You are an amazing storyteller if this is the case. :D

Side note: How to simplify "1/15 fortune teller of 15 different fortune tellers" class?

StClair
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by StClair » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:21 am

Sometimes an earnest idiot is exactly what is needed.

j-prime
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by j-prime » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:59 am

I won't lie - this page gave me the shivers - awesome panel to panel pacing. And the kind of moment that real RPGers live for. So great!
rohdrieag wrote:...It's no coincidence that the mouse over text is different from prior pages. Page 18. Page 19. Then this one; a simple '20.'

Critical success.

For that matter it's in the page title, and in the link. Goblins - 20. http://goblinscomic.com/comic/20
Sharp observation rohdrieag!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:12 am

The image name follows the new pattern, and does include the page-20.
Hence I did not comment on it, although I did see it. (but I did not connect it to a dicethrow)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:34 pm

There goes my theory that Complains would be the one to break him free, since he's not really a Goblin any more...

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Timeline questions based on http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm.

Round 1 - That nasty pea sized bomb Explosion Attack took place and damage allocated, many at 0 or below hit points.
Round 2 - Party has exposition and discussion about what to do.
Round 3 - Decision to start process to create a Teller - chooses Fumbles
Round 4 - Ceremony Starts - Create a teller - Fumbles.
Round 5 - 1 imprint arrives in Gate
Round 6 - Three imprints arrive
Round 7 - Talking and Charisma Attack by Bone Creatures resolved by Wisdom Roll by ?? Fumbles?
Round 8 - Melee attacks against Bone Creatures
Round 9 - Resolve Melee attacks against Bone Creatures
Round 10 - 13 imprints arrive and more discussion
Round 11 - MinMax resolves to .... anyhow .... you get the drift - ... should the injury stats be dropping to below -9 by now?

Tofu
Is Heard Often

Post by Tofu » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Oh, wait, perhaps the answer is here " http://tametick.com/dnd/

Tofu
Is Heard Often

Post by Tofu » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Nope, I cannot see an answer there, no mention of what happens when you get to negative hit points in that old edition.

(edit - hmm, memories : http://www.therobotsvoice.com/2009/04/t ... ns_rul.php)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:55 am

Isn't it possible to spontaneously stabilise in 3e? I feel like that must have happened by now or they'd definitely have bled out. The countdown to -10 is usually pretty fast.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 am

Tofu wrote:Timeline questions based on http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm.

Round 1 - That nasty pea sized bomb Explosion Attack took place and damage allocated, many at 0 or below hit points.
Round 2 - Party has exposition and discussion about what to do.
Round 3 - Decision to start process to create a Teller - chooses Fumbles
Round 4 - Ceremony Starts - Create a teller - Fumbles.
Round 5 - 1 imprint arrives in Gate
Round 6 - Three imprints arrive
Round 7 - Talking and Charisma Attack by Bone Creatures resolved by Wisdom Roll by ?? Fumbles?
Round 8 - Melee attacks against Bone Creatures
Round 9 - Resolve Melee attacks against Bone Creatures
Round 10 - 13 imprints arrive and more discussion
Round 11 - MinMax resolves to .... anyhow .... you get the drift - ... should the injury stats be dropping to below -9 by now?
So this comic shows only 3 at negative hit points. Big Ears, Thaco, and Complains.

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/01172017-2

Then in this comic, you see Big Ears was stabilized by MinMax and Thaco was stabilized by Fumbles (using the Heal skill). Complains has Fast Healing with his demon powers. So overall, I think everyone is fine.

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/02132017-2

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:59 am

"Fine" is relative. They are still in neg. HP....

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:32 am

Krulle wrote:"Fine" is relative. They are still in neg. HP....
Well sure. Being negative means you can't really do anything besides yell insults at the rest of your party in why they are taking so long to get you fixed up. :)

Plays with Fire
Remains Silent

Post by Plays with Fire » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:14 pm

rohdrieag wrote:...It's no coincidence that the mouse over text is different from prior pages. Page 18. Page 19. Then this one; a simple '20.'

Critical success.

For that matter it's in the page title, and in the link. Goblins - 20. http://goblinscomic.com/comic/20

Yes but the Crit Window showed the next critical success or failure within the party would be a failure. So Fumbles cannot have made a critical success... unless there were a failure somewhere between the moment the staff showed the "1" and the moment Fumbles made the check to resist imprints. Maybe his theory to untangle the imprints were good but he fumbled the action. This could work, said Fumbles, meaning there is a reasonable chance of success or failure. It might as well be a simple task, since the Staff of Notangle is powerful enough to untangle any magical binding just by touching it, and Fumble already did that by ccident without even willing it. It has to work. And frankly, it is an easy check. It is likely to work unless you do a critical failure.

Overshot
Mutters to Themself

Post by Overshot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Plays with Fire wrote:

Critical success.

Yes but the Crit Window showed the next critical success or failure within the party would be a failure. So Fumbles cannot have made a critical success... unless there were a failure somewhere between the moment the staff showed the "1" and the moment Fumbles made the check to resist imprints. Maybe his theory to untangle the imprints were good but he fumbled the action. This could work, said Fumbles, meaning there is a reasonable chance of success or failure. It might as well be a simple task, since the Staff of Notangle is powerful enough to untangle any magical binding just by touching it, and Fumble already did that by ccident without even willing it. It has to work. And frankly, it is an easy check. It is likely to work unless you do a critical failure.

The critical failure was finding/noticing the LOL PEARL. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Injuryman
Remains Silent

Post by Injuryman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Plays with Fire wrote:

Critical success.

Yes but the Crit Window showed the next critical success or failure within the party would be a failure.
I think you're misremembering. It didn't say a 1 would be a Critical Failure, it says it would be a Critical Fumble.

Say hello to the new and improved, Critical Fumbles!

Also, side note. A lot of people have been talking about The Pain Cloak, but unless I'm remembering wrong, wasn't that one blue and wrapped around the axe? Did we ever see what this black one Fumbles is wearing actually does?

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:51 pm

Istaran wrote:Since he was removed prematurely, Kickaxo only absorbed 1/11th of each of the former tellers' powers, and he is quite good at handling elevenths of things.
Thanks. Made me smile.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:10 am

Injuryman wrote:Also, side note. A lot of people have been talking about The Pain Cloak, but unless I'm remembering wrong, wasn't that one blue and wrapped around the axe? Did we ever see what this black one Fumbles is wearing actually does?
You are remembering right.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Where did that black cloak come from? I don't recall seeing it in the loot pile"
ImageImage
So, not much info about the Shadowflame cloak, if it even does the same in G:AR and the comic...

(And to anyone wondering: yes, this is basically a copy of this post.)

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:54 am

You know, I've been thinking a lot about this comic lately. I'm super hooked into the story line and Kore and/or the demon haven't even shown up yet. My level of excitement and anticipation is through the roof. This comic is going to be epic for like the next year.

The only thing that could make it better was if Biscuit made an appearance in this arc somehow. He's still my favorite.

EDIT: And now I went back and re-read most of the Dies arc with Biscuit. So much goodness. Thunt, you make an epic story.

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:06 am

Krulle wrote: -how many tellers did this clan ever have (and thus how many more might come?)?
In the beginning of the comic there is a scene where a couple goblins go into the sacred area, where the statues of their past chiefs were kept. It looked a little like the Adams family graveyard. (http://goblinscomic.com/comic/01142006) You can see 11 chief statues at once, in the last panel.

I would assume that many chiefs probably had fairly short lifespans though, while the tellers weren't meant to fight. When the last teller died, she was babbling about how she had survived 3 fallen warcamps, because she would retreat when they were attacked. Chiefs probably tend to fall in battle. So who knows! Depending on how far back the history of their clan goes, Fumbles could be nearing the limit of imprints that are even available.

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:12 am

Take heart, everyone! If he was dead we would see a red -10 over his head! But we don't! That means he's ALIIIVEEEE! muahahaha!
I think the real question at this point is how much power did he absorb, and how well will he be able to use it? Also, is it possible it will change something about his personality? It's probably pretty crazy to have all of those memories and personalities imprinted on you.

Because we can't see Fumbles' face in the last 3 panels (as well as in the previous 2, where he's still being "shocked"), I guess his face has changed: I'd guess his Kickaxo/Kickasso mustache is now a real one, and part of him.
Ha! My fantasy I'm hoping for and half expecting is that when he finally stands up we will see him without the "monster" on his forehead anymore, signaling that he is brimming with powerful healing magic. Hoping so hard that's what happens! Calling it now ;)
Last edited by Derkins on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:15 am

rohdrieag wrote:Now... his luck is flipping. It's no coincidence that the mouse over text is different from prior pages. Page 18. Page 19. Then this one; a simple '20.'

Critical success.
Wow, good eye!! I never would have noticed that! So exciting!!

Teiresias
Remains Silent

Post by Teiresias » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:21 am

Derkins wrote: In the beginning of the comic there is a scene where a couple goblins go into the sacred area, where the statues of their past chiefs were kept. It looked a little like the Adams family graveyard. (http://goblinscomic.com/comic/01142006) You can see 11 chief statues at once, in the last panel.
I don't believe those are all chiefs. Remember when Chief sat down with CoN and told him "sadly, because you used magic items to defeat Minmax and broke our rules, you can never have a statue carved in your honor when you die." Those statues are for goblins who died bravely in service of their clan, I think, not just for chiefs. Notice also how "Chief Kills-a-Werebear" is the only one named with the title of "chief" before his name.

The teller ceremony appeals to Magubliyet directly, so it is possible that dead tellers from other clans could appear also? I imagine all the clans derive their magic from the Goblin God. :shrug:

Plays with Fire
Remains Silent

Post by Plays with Fire » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Overshot wrote:The critical failure was finding/noticing the LOL PEARL. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Could be, but if that happen only on critical failure, the point of the room (from a GM perspective) is to reward the players ? I would assume that the LOL Pearl IS the point of the room, in wicked gyraxian kind of way, so finding/noticing the pearl is narratively-scripted and that wouldn't require a check.

Beside, the pearl is noticed by Minmax 2 cases before the only time we see the Crit Window, it can't be that critical failure because if there were a check it would already been made. Either the critical fumble is Names accepting the Pearl/activating a special function of the pearl (which I don't think is the case), and that would be a instant joke as the revelation of the LOL pearl comes right after we see the 1, or the Crit Window only serve as a foreshadowing.

Now, the LOL pearl definitely has the grandiose aspect of a critical failure, but I can't see how it is related to a check made after we see the "1". On the other hand, my theory about the critical failure being the execution of Fumble's plan could correspond to a check but lacks grandiose. Another theory is that the coming of the flea demons is the result of a crate fail, but it seems to anchored in the logic of the situation to be a check, so I don't know ?

Anyway one thing is certain, from the case we see a "1" on the Crit Window, there can't be a critical success before a critical failure has happened.

InjurymanÔǼ wrote: I think you're misremembering. It didn't say a 1 would be a Critical Failure, it says it would be a Critical Fumble.

Say hello to the new and improved, Critical Fumbles!

Interesting, but the first sentence of the staff's description clearly state that it can predict success or failure, this prevent in my opinion the ruling of your interpretation. So I wouldn't put my money on it. However this is a legit, probably intentional pun.

Trisscar
Remains Silent

Post by Trisscar » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:51 pm

What if the ceremony is the crit fail though?

...I'm not even sure how that would work. I'd assume that if it's failable, you'd just not have any imprints or die. This is also ruling out that the ceremony could be one or several skill or score checks in a row for the duration of this theory. Like the ceremony itself is one giant flat roll, with maybe negative modifiers for how many imprints are present.
Or it could just be a negative levels thing that is supposed to replace any class levels you'd have to make room for the supposed class of "Teller", or the goblins are unreliable narrators because the actual technical functions of the ceremony have been lost to time, I dunno.

Tofu
Is Heard Often

Post by Tofu » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:42 pm

ok - I had missed the stablisation being effected. So, we have a haitus of bad things happening. I presume more damage could have happened to the dear death Goblins on the ground, and that would be a bad thing, but since they are not shown, it did not happen. Thanks folks.

I note that 15 imprints were connected to Fumbles, and his attempt at getting 11 classess to apply is an entirely different number, so my thought of there being connections between successful imprints and levels/classes is not relevant. (Although, imagine if the imprints grants adventuring levels to whomesoever is imprinted ... coolness eh! Instant level Up capacity!)