Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Wait, what?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:42 am

I still need actions from the following:
Theis
Quarg
Spider
1/2 Mort - Need confirmation about giving food to the masses, please do so in game thread, not trying to be a stickler about this, but prefer you to do it in character. (response to quarg and others. (If you would like to resign as gov'nor you can, at any time. But I will warn you that doing such a thing during a crisis...won't go over well with the commoners)

I have actions from:
Thinks,
Gathers
1/2 Mort

I've also heard Coyote is down, but I suppose I can use something else till that's fixed.

On another note, I'm considering redoing the bonus that ToT's give you, because currently they don't give you much and I feel bad about that. Any suggestions are helpful, otherwise, look for some ideas from me at some point.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:45 am

How about ToT influence the # of dice rolled (adding +1 die of whatever kind, for a +1 tool,) instead of just adding a mere numerical bonus (of +1 for a +1 tool)? All except "0" tools, which should still give some kind of bonus... :paranoia:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:12 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Bjorn has made farming tools +0 out of wood alone. Is there a mechanical benefit to me making metal farming tools?

Barring that, what do the rest of you perceive as the most dire needs in terms of forging?
I think I was still waiting on response to the first part, metal farming tools seem like they should be strictly better, but my current understanding is that I could only make +0 as well. I'm re-asking the second part, people's plans may alter forging needs.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:15 am

The idea to add dice for each + level seems like a good one. Just make it +1 to make the math work- So 0 is 1d6, 1 is 2d6... And so forth.

And alright, I'll add to my first post that Groff will just distribute food in full this season... And OOC I am blaming Thinks for when Groff is gonna get lynched because there's no food come winter. :shifty:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:10 am

:lol:

I think food is our priority, but since we're looking at super low efficiency farming now I think we might want to reevaluate whether it is worth improving farming now or focusing on e.g. fishing for the short term and leave farming as a more long term plan.

If we're by the coast, there is really no way that we are likely to overfish anything with rod and lines, even with 100 people. But diversifying to shellfish would be good. Hell, we can just send people to walk the beaches at low tide and they' should be able to find plenty of clams or winkles or whatever (are we on a rocky coast or a sandy one?)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:14 am

The bay and river has been over-fished during spring, but yes, the ocean opens up a lot of possibilities for you, if you had a vessel capable of going there.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:15 am

Yeah, that was my comment about my sincere doubt that 13 people can actually even begin making a dent in the fish population using only fishing rods while you're at the ocean... Even IF there's a lot of fish. There'll always be more. Only reason things living in the ocean might even be endangered by us is because they either live in a very specific/fragile habitat (Thinking corals etc then), or simply because we try and harvest them using rather destructive methods. (Most other fish, think I read about crabs once...) But I've chalked it up to game mechanics, mostly.

We can diversify to shellfish etc if we want/need to, but I think we'd need tools we don't really have for that... So we'd have to focus on that first, then diversify.

@Badge hadn't you already said we were using the sloops for fishing..?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 am

row-boats = not going very far, limited capacity of men.
2. Again, as i said, 1 unit of food = 3 months worth of food.

So, for a fish fry, (1 meal) it's suggested to cook ~2d2 fillets per person)

So, lets take max:
4x3 meals a day = 12x90=1080 x 73 units = 78,840 fillets

^If you could even forseeable catch that many units of fish...

It makes perfect sense to me that you've overfished the immediate area. :wall: :P
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:21 am

Same difference? :P

Also, couldn't we just use the big boat we arrived on, and use that for fishing expeditions?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:22 am

M0rtimer wrote: We can diversify to shellfish etc if we want/need to, but I think we'd need tools we don't really have for that... So we'd have to focus on that first, then diversify.
What would shellfishing tools entail? Between Bjorn and Thormod, we should be able to build whatever tools we need to be able to put folks to work.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:24 am

I'll be completely honest:

I'd honestly have no idea, but I'd be surprised you could just wade out in the water with nothing and grab a bunch of mussels. :roll:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:26 am

You can literally do it all with your hands as long as you go at low tide.

Mussels, clams, winkles, seasnails, oysters, urchin, seaweed, barnacles if you're starving, crabs (if there are rock pools)... Whatever you want really.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:28 am

In that case, assuming Badge is okay with it and it doesn't suffer the current penalty, I'll shift some more workers towards that..? It'd probably count under fishing, wouldn't it?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:35 am

The big boat you arrived on left again and will return now and again with items and news from the motherland.

For reasons of the game, I would still require fishing tools to be used to collect clams, mussels or whatever. And the fishing skill would still apply. Do remember that, as mayor, you help the rolls for fishing though.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:37 am

But it'd not suffer the penalty, right..? Because if so, I'll put some more men on fishing again.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:39 am

technically it wouldn't, because you are specifically "fishing" for something else.

Think of this game as specific or non-specific as you want to play it, right. If you're general and vague, your output will be fish, because I'm not going to put more time and effort into thinking up varieties other than..fish..

If you want me to expand the game, you're going to need to be the driving force behind that expansion.

Make sense?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:43 am

Alright. Going to keep 5 men on regular fishing (Both to see how much fish there is still close to bay/ not enough to keep as dramatic an impact as before) and put the other tools on shellfish/clam collection- Going to edit my post...

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:14 am

^also waiting on you to respond to the others you have tried speaking with you. Unless you are choosing to ignore them, as groff is wont to do it seems, in which case, I'll need real turns from Spider & Quarg..and still something from theis.

I understand that we're busy and I'm not trying to rush any of you, take your time, I'll update when everything is figured out.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:40 am

BadgeAddict wrote:, I'll need real turns from Spider & Quarg..and still something from theis.

I understand that we're busy and I'm not trying to rush any of you, take your time, I'll update when everything is figured out.
spiderwrangler wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:
Bjorn has made farming tools +0 out of wood alone. Is there a mechanical benefit to me making metal farming tools?

Barring that, what do the rest of you perceive as the most dire needs in terms of forging?
I think I was still waiting on response to the first part, metal farming tools seem like they should be strictly better, but my current understanding is that I could only make +0 as well. I'm re-asking the second part, people's plans may alter forging needs.
If you've responded to this, I'm missing it...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:06 am

I would say that making metal farming tools means they will be +1, and the only way for you to make +1 tools is if you have a +2 Blacksmith ToT.

So, basically, I can't allow you to make farming tools with what you have.

I'm leaning towards having them add extra die if used by an PC, an extra +1 if used by an NPC.
like so:
2d10 + JS(*5%) + ToT(+lvld10)
1d10 + JS(*5%) + ToT (+lvld5)
1 + JS(*5%) + ToT (+lvl)

Or for NPCs:
1dX
X=1+Skill+Gov/PC+ToT
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:08 am

Whaaaaa? That makes no sense.

So I can make an axe or whatnot, but the concept of a hoe is beyond me?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:24 am

With ToT's adding +1d10 for farming, +1d5 for carpentry or 1 for "the hard stuff", creating +1 tools starts to break the game.

Thus, I'm sorry, but I will not allow you to make Farming ToT's until you have a +2 blacksmith ToT, which I've told you how you can achieve this.

And the max of lvl 3 will raise to 5. I think.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:27 am

Can I get a list of things I am permitted to make then?
  • Lumbering tools +0
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
*Edit: Things that are benefited by/require being forged...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:55 am

Okay, thought about this and see below:

Because you are the children of vikings, the following is your "country of origin bonus".

Your country and its ancestors have long been skilled in the way with iron. Thus, your blacksmiths are able to make tools and weapons at an equivalent to their current ToTs.

Meaning that, unlike other skills which require a ToT of 2 to create a ToT of 1, blacksmiths can create on a 1:1 ToT to ToT base.

Enjoy your bonus.