Forum upgrade completed!

For creating groups, suggesting features, reporting problems and the like.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Forum upgrade completed!

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks for all your hard work on getting this done :) I know you, Duke and Moose have been working your asses off on it, so thanks for your efforts to keep us in business :D

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:12 pm

OMG, is there any way to get the blue background back? This awful dark thing is giving me a huge headache.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:20 pm

RocketScientist wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:12 pm OMG, is there any way to get the blue background back? This awful dark thing is giving me a huge headache.
User Control Panel>Board Preferences>My Board Style
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Go into the User Control Panel, Board Preferences tab, and change Board Style from Goblinsforum2018 to prosilver. Then hit submit to confirm the change.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:24 pm

Thank you, guys!

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:49 am

First of all, thank you all the effort in making the forum up and going again! As a developer I know all-too-well when you need to upgrade some module of a project and hope that nothing goes wrong. (Hint: it's never that easy...)

That being said, I feel the new theme is a bit too fancy, and lacks that "goblinesque" charm the old one had. Therefore I'm politely asking if the graphical resources for the old theme are in any way available and would you accept if any forum member created a 3rd (4th, 5th?) custom theme that'd fit the comic better?
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:19 am

I really like the black. Man, some people are terrified of change. Each to their own I suppose. Would be nicer if you could make it wider though.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:21 am

Also, it looks like pngs with transparent backgrounds don't work so well with this theme. As you can see, my 1 up mushroom is now black on black :) I'll check to see if you can change the colour of the background.
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 am

I do like the black theme, but I really prefer the arrangement of topics etc. that the blue style has. The "boxes" instead of lines just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't suppose there's any way to use the black colour scheme(s) with a "straight and simple" forum design/layout? o:) 8)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:05 am

Boxes instead of lines?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:22 am

The width is tied to the theme (if you compare it to prosilver, you'll notice that's actually slightly wider). I've asked Duke (the tech guy) whether he can widen it, but the problem with that is it would mess with the images on either side, so it's not a simple fix unfortunately.

We are currently discussing having multiple themes, so people can choose which one they prefer. You can demo some of the different themes for phpBB 3.2 here. The current theme is based on PBWOW 3, while the closest I can find to the old theme is Green -Style.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:28 am

If someone wants to go ahead and try to rework the old theme to fit for the new boards, they're definitely welcome to try! Duke said he was gonna package them together later today, and I'll make them available then here. :)

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:49 am

I applaud the efforts to build more suitable themes for the forum. In the meantime, one data point: I am finding prosilver much more comfortable than Goblinsforum2018. Generally speaking, I feel that less is more. A forum theme should not grab attention for itself. The whole point of any forum, in the long term, is the interaction between users. The theme needs to get out of the way of the words.
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:20 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:05 am Boxes instead of lines?
► Show Spoiler
Especially in the game section this new arrangement annoys me.
It also contains less information (which post was posted last, when and by whom).
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:23 am

Oh, I pretty much only navigate through the stack of quick links to "Your Posts" and "Active Topics".

Those blocks are odd, but apparently don't affect me given the way I use the forum, since I wasn't sure what you meant.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Synch wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:19 am I really like the black. Man, some people are terrified of change.
Well, as for me, I didn't say it's not a nice theme or that I don't like black. I just said to me it does't really fit the Goblins theme of the forum. Glad to read there will be options to change it. If I find the time I'd definitely prance around with a basic theme, maybe it'll work.
Sessine wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:49 am Generally speaking, I feel that less is more.
My thoughts exactly.
GathersIngredients wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:20 am Especially in the game section this new arrangement annoys me.
It also contains less information (which post was posted last, when and by whom).
And if we add the fact that the box itself is "clickable" but absolutely nothing happens (one would think it will redirect to the link / subforum it contains), it's even more annoying...
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:53 pm

I've sent the files through to Inspired... Should anyone else want them, you can contact me about them. :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Mobile is a bit annoying, not easy going back to previous subset (like forum games) and it only shows bord index.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Mobile takes some getting used to, but it works for me.
► Show Spoiler
At the top of the thread, I get links to the index and subforum, as well as one to jump to the oldest post I have yet to read.

The dropdown menu on the navbar gives me a bunch of other handy links, like the list of threads with unread posts.

Now I just need to remember to fix the first post in this thread now that spoiler tags no longer show text boxes. But that will have to wait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Also, Duke did end up managing to increase the forum width, it held less complications than expected. You guys let know if this ends up looking better, alright? :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:00 am

As an aside to everything else, M0rt and Duke and the rest of the Admins, I would just like to take the time to thank you for your time and commitment to this forum through not only this time but all the times.

Thank you.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:44 am

I'll definitely pass on the thanks. :)

Oh another change I forgot to mention - text shadow on the new theme should now be gone in the spoilers, so those should hopefully be more palatable now. If you guys have future opinions on how they could be improved, you can always share them. :)

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 am

Synch wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:19 am I really like the black. Man, some people are terrified of change.
I'm not afraid of it. It hurts my eyes reading bright letters on a dark background. It may be because I have pale retinas. I would have the same problem with any of the dark themes. I've been through all the forum changes since Snotling, and this is the first time I've found one visually painful. :shrug:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:42 am

Hey M0rt, I've received this error a couple if times this morning after hitting "submit" in the quick reply box. It's happened in both forum skins, and seems to be an issue in the redirecting, since the message itself has been posted fine both times. Just an FYI in case anyone else has been seeing it.

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 978: include(./cache/production/queue.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 1836: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3268)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:33 am

Could you link the posts in particular that had this error? Just in case it might be something that's in the posts themselves.