The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Mon May 14, 2018 6:35 am

(Am I the only one still active in the lizard group? I've lost track. Would also be nice to have some input from Artho.)

"A false god is mortal. It can be killed. If you want to survive, if you want your beliefs to survive, then we must go on the greatest hunt of our lives. Gather a suitable hunting party, track it down, stalk its secrets, and stop it. Will you join us?"
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon May 14, 2018 7:27 am

((Korrik isn't much of one for god talk, and I was wondering if he had any input too.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 16, 2018 5:13 am

Varsk follows along but keeps an eye on the gnome following and is on the lookout for others, but there are too many damn trees and any one of them could be a druid.

Following along, but watchful: 1D20+4 = [5]+4 = 9

((Just adding Varsk's paranoia to the mix))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 16, 2018 9:45 am

Since I'm actually at a real computer for once, I rolled Persuasion for Kal. I probably should have waited to see if the GM actually wanted the roll. Oh well.
► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Lizard Group
"A false god is mortal. It can be killed. If you want to survive, if you want your beliefs to survive, then we must go on the greatest hunt of our lives. Gather a suitable hunting party, track it down, stalk its secrets, and stop it. Will you join us?"

Artho steps forward from the trees looking extremely troubled by the discussion.

The lizardfolk looks terrified by Kal's suggestion, and says:
"How can anyone kill a god!? It is not possible!"

Artho (in common):
"There are far more powerful mortals walking this realm than us, my friend. You must also consider that the tribal elders are not fools, and wield no small amount of magic in their own right. If they have been deceived, there must be some powerful force behind it, gods or no. We must find out whether this is some sort of deception, or if we have some new power rising in our midst. I confess, that his people are carrying dragon's blood is gravely concerning to me. It has not been so many centuries since such creatures were a scourge on our world, but-"

He frowns and shakes his head.

"...No. They are gone. I am certain of it."

---------------------------------------------------

Druid Group
The group follow on behind the large druid, with Sir Bard scampering along behind, around and ahead of the group, occassionally playing a few bright notes on his flute. He seems to vanish and reappear almost like a ghost, disappearing behind one tree and reappearing from behind another without the slightest hint of fatigue.

The large druid marches relentlessly onwards, seemingly untroubled by the overgrown mass of roots and moss underfoot, or by the baking heat of the day that affects most of the others. Varsk grows increasingly twitchy as they walk, but doesn't see anything that looks immediately threatening.

Eventually, the ground becomes more rocky and the ground begins to rise around you, as you are led into a long gully. The little gnome finally starts to seem like he's tiring, hurrying to keep pace. The grey cliffs here are carved with animal likenesses, not unlike the ones you saw before at the deep pool you used as a waypoint. Large birds wheel overhead.

Eventually, the gully widens and opens out into a natural clearing at the base of the carved cliffs. There are more animal carvings on the cliffs here, as well as a multitude of strange symbols, and images of several humanoid races. A single pale, silver tree stands in the centre of the clearing, surrounded by three ancient looking people: a female elf, an ancient male gnome, and a giant humanoid creature with jet black eyes and pointed ears, that seems to be covered in a fuzzy green fur. It looks a bit like a giant bear sat still for too long and grew moss.

The elf speaks first:
"Welcome Goroth, and Tam. What do you seek this day?"

Your guide replies:
"These are newcomers to our Sanctuary. They came for aid, and bring troubling news of a sickness spreading in the forest. What do you make of this?"

He steps forward and opens his fist, showing them the black scale and handing it over to the ancient gnome.

The ancient gnome looks at it disinterestedly for hardly a moment.

"Remnants of the past, and nothing more. Such things float down the rivers sometimes, it is nothing of concern."

((Pausing in case you guys would like to act; or if you need clarification on anything))

---------------------------------

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed May 16, 2018 5:56 pm

"If these were scales from the past then how come we have found them in the skin of lizardmen a few days ago?"

Gwen pauses and looks at the ancient gnome. "I can show you what it looked like." Gwen conjures up a minor illusion, one that looks to be a painting of the black scales and infected skin from the lizardman and skin around the black scales.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 pm

At the old gnome's words, Mehr speaks, his tone taking on the respect he has learned to use for those whose presence demands it, "Elder, I swear on my clan that my words are true when I tell you this, that scale was found on a living being, and was not the only one."

I really hope somebody's gonna assist me on this one, 'cause it's a goddamn Critical failure.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 pm

((It's ok, you don't need the roll here :) ))

The ancient gnome's face turns towards Mehriv and frowns. Whether it's at the interruption or not, he's not sure.

"Then perhaps you had better explain how you came by it."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 pm

Mehr nods, "We found ourselves in a struggle with a group of lizardmen. Many of them had patches of scales such as these."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed May 16, 2018 6:31 pm

"To be more accurate..." Syli starts in druidic, stepping forward, before switching back to common for the benefit of her companions, "We were attacked by a hunting party chasing one of the locals. Some of the warriors were... adorned in those scales, in different areas around the head and upper torso. Each one with those scales also had a tattoo of a blackened eye on its throat. I took a few of those scales in hopes someone more knowing than myself might understand what they were."
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 16, 2018 6:53 pm

The ancient gnome snorts:
"They wear decorations of all sorts. This is quite ordinary!"

The elf woman looks from Mehriv to Syli.
"These are hardly trinkets. I would have thought the memory of Ash'Karoth would linger a little longer."

Your large guide looks concerned.
"Lady, it has been almost 600 years. The young races have forgotten more than you may know."

The mossy creature blinks slowly and very, very slowly begins to open its hand. Sir Bard (Tam) laughs in delight and scampers forwards, hopping up to sit on the giant hand. A broad smile spreads across the mossy creature's face, and Tam says:

"He wants to see for himself."

The ancient gnome rolls his eyes and tosses the scale to Tam, who holds it up to the creature's nose and waits.

And waits. No-one seems to mind.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 16, 2018 7:00 pm

"Whom do you mean, Artho?"

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 pm

"It's normal for them to have diseased skin around where they grew the black scales?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 pm

I hesitantly pull out the bone medallion... "Err... does this hold any meaning for you?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 16, 2018 8:24 pm

WearsHats wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:00 pm "Whom do you mean, Artho?"
Artho fidgets uncomfortably.
"It is not my place to speak of the Long Histories, and certainly not here. But given the circumstances... Honestly, I wish I had listened to my lessons better. I don't know much, except that these lands were once claimed by a terrible dragon. It was all but the end of our people until it was finally defeated in a great battle. It was many centuries ago now. I am too young to remember it myself, but I know it cannot have returned. The price was... too high to have allowed such a thing."

Korrik shows the bone token to the lizardfolk and he recoils visibly.

"Only servants of the new god carry them. I do not know what it does. I do not want to know."

--------------

Gwen:
"It's normal for them to have diseased skin around where they grew the black scales?"

The two smaller elders frown at Gwen and look at each other. The elf replies:

"No, that would not be normal-"

With a rumbling sigh, the mossy creature wrinkles it's nose and speaks in a deep, earthy voice:

"This is Ash'Karoth, in young flesh. I smell Strength. Sickness. Death. Potential. It is magic... Broken magic, but only a little."

The creature falls back into a peaceful silence.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 16, 2018 8:28 pm

I nod, and tuck it away.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed May 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Gwen nods when the elf said it wouldn't be normal, and looks at the moss creature ."What is Ash'Karoth?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 am

((Mehr's not gonna interrupt this question, but I'm so damn sure it was a Black Dragon. Typical evil one, at that.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 17, 2018 4:18 am

Varsk waits and listens. He generally decides this conversation is outside his areas of expertise and remains quiet.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 am

The elf and gnome look stunned at the question. The mossy creature blinks slowly, but does not reply. Instead, the elf speaks:

"You do not know?! He was a monstrous dragon who claimed these lands as his own over 1000 years ago. He tormented our people, torturing and murdering and destroying everything he could in his twisted games and schemes. It took centuries before we were able to drive him back to his lair and finally kill him."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 17, 2018 6:33 am

Mehr sighs, "Few of the short-lived races have more than distant tales of times to long departed. My kin would usually be expected to carry with the what is known of any dragon, but I can see why such a being would be 'forgotten.' Still, my first assumption of an evil dragon's influence proves more likely with this confirmation... One of our other companions, who went to seek aid elsewhere, found a bone talisman bearing the likeness of a dragon, smeared by a bloody fingerprint, on one of the lizardmen. Did such item belong to Ash'Karoth's faithful?"
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 17, 2018 6:59 am

"The foul things that followed Ash'Karok branded themselves and scarred their flesh and delighted in cruelty. That is how we knew them. Badges and tokens were hardly necessary."

The mossy creature bows its head with a sad moan. Tam pats his hand.

"It was an evil time. The scars are still painful, at least to those of us who remember them."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu May 17, 2018 7:51 am

(Artho was there when we confirmed dragon blood, right?)

► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 am

"So, now that we are all cleared up on that these lizardfolk are servants of Ash'Karoth you're all onboard to help us defeat them and save the folks they grabbed?"

He is increasingly worried about the shelf life of the prisoners based on this discussion.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 am

((He was certainly there, but it's only been "confirmed" by Kal))