5 June 2018 : Parchment and the getting of attention

Discuss the comic here!
crow76308
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: 5 June 2018 : Parchment and the getting of attention

Post by crow76308 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:31 am

BookWyrm17 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 am
crow76308 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:43 pm This is funny, if expected, I just hope that everyone is wrong about it turning tragic with Minmax stabbing Kin.
Actually, it may not be quite so terrible a thing. Kin is still probably full or near full on hitpoints, so a single offhand accidental stab from oblivious hopefully wouldn't kill her outright. And if Minmax nicks her arm, he would feel it too, and maybe he would finally connect the dots like he did before.

Or maybe he would get irrationally angry with the wall that hurts people that stab it and back off or attack harder.

Hey, maybe Kin will figure it out and start prickin herself with a needle to try and get him to figure it out.
Crits happen.
Possum explicare vobis, sed Ego aliter comprehendere non illam tibi.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:14 am

Guus wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:36 am
Krulle wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:46 am Yet, "the Serpent" comes into play. And so far the clearest and most obvious "Serpent" would be Kin.
Unless the serpent is simply an analogy for something dangerous and deceitful, people that are like that are often described as serpents. In that case, it could also relate to Junior. Which is incredibly far fetched and I don't think so, but I'm just throwing in some out of the box thinking here.
There's also Duv and the Viper clan.

Formaltide
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Formaltide » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:09 pm

It would be quite ironic to have Kin be the first to successfully fend off Kore in the series only to be accidentally stabbed through a wall.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:20 am

Huh, I think that's the first time we didn't see Oblivious drawn (with a small glimpse of the future) "on camera". Very interesting.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:02 pm

We get a glimpse of the past when Oblivious gets drawn,because he's drawing it from the past moment when he used it last. We get a glimpse of the future when Minmax lets go of Oblivious, because at that moment, it gets drawn by his future self.

And no, it's not the first time Oblivious got drawn off-screen. One example is here: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04172017-2.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Did you think he was giving it to his past self?

Besides, it really happens all the bloody time.

It figures that going through the trouble of linking (nearly) every example squanders my chance to be the first to say it, but I'm not going to throw this effort away. I still gave a comprehensive list of more relevant examples of future-glimpses. Granted, Morgaln's link works as both, but whatever.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:44 am

Everybody is wrong because everybody misunderstood the prediction. You see it's never been written out, just spoken. The actual prediction is not serpent, it is Sir Pent. Bowst is actually a dwarven knight and his last name is Pent. When he finally snaps then Forgath will attack him. Idle is in love with Bowst and when Forgath attacks him she will go berserk. Love fuels hate and Forgath's two new friends become enemies. And Bowst is actually the dwarf who is going to kill Forgath.

Well, nothing else to do while waiting for the next comic except make wild speculations based on virtually nothing.

Scoshan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Scoshan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:49 am

Joining in on the wild speculation. Minmax becomes king of the realm. Now hear me out, he's been seen wearing a crown a few times, referred to himself as king of oblivion, has a few other moments talking about being a king.
Then there's this page http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12032016-2

Don't know anything about his backstory right? Could be unknowingly an illegitimate son of the king for all we know. :paranoia:

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am

The only kink (snicker) in your joke-theory is that Idle's feelings are for Forgath, she only helps Bowst stay alive. Other than that, in light of their curses, that could actually be a legit twist. Now they just need a prey that we really want to not be Kin; maybe entering Silkscale territory will lead to more conflict than any one character could expect.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:51 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am The only kink (snicker) in your joke-theory is that Idle's feelings are for Forgath, she only helps Bowst stay alive. Other than that, in light of their curses, that could actually be a legit twist. Now they just need a prey that we really want to not be Kin; maybe entering Silkscale territory will lead to more conflict than any one character could expect.
Ah but the reason she is going after Forgath is she has a major attraction to dwarves. Although Bowst is actually a dwarf he has been cursed to look like an icky human. So if your partner were to change into a sluglike being then your attention might start to wander if a hottie should join the group.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 am

Does the demon in the Axe feel the torture created by the Pain Cloak? I assume so.

I'm pretty sure you guys discussed over it, but I haven't kept updated with the forum all the time, and don't know, so please excuse me in advance for repeating someone else...

Every time I look at the Axe of Prisn wrapped in the pain cloak, I cringe and feel sorry the demon inside being tortured. He is going to be super pissed when he gets out, and with good reason.

or, alternatively, hopefully,
the description (see 2nd row, right panel http://goblinscomic.com/comic/01092017-2) specificially mentioned the wearer will be driven mad when worn long enough. Perhaps the demon will come out of the Axe completely disabled mentally? ie. a drooling puppet, sort of like how Senior Vorpal was after being rescued, but even worse.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:34 am

Arrow wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 am Does the demon in the Axe feel the torture created by the Pain Cloak? I assume so.

I'm pretty sure you guys discussed over it, but I haven't kept updated with the forum all the time, and don't know, so please excuse me in advance for repeating someone else...

Every time I look at the Axe of Prisn wrapped in the pain cloak, I cringe and feel sorry the demon inside being tortured. He is going to be super pissed when he gets out, and with good reason.

the description (see 2nd row, right panel http://goblinscomic.com/comic/01092017-2) specificially mentioned the wearer will be driven mad when worn long enough. Perhaps the demon will come out of the Axe completely disabled mentally? ie. a drooling puppet, sort of like how Senior Vorpal was after being rescued, but even worse.
I find that very unlikely. That would mean he feels everything the sword does. Getting dropped, getting polished, sharpened, stabbing someone, etc. That would be an insanely stupid thing to write into a story.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:00 am

Xavier78 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:34 am
Arrow wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 am Does the demon in the Axe feel the torture created by the Pain Cloak? I assume so.

I find that very unlikely. That would mean he feels everything the sword does. Getting dropped, getting polished, sharpened, stabbing someone, etc. That would be an insanely stupid thing to write into a story.
Kinda funny though, if you think about it.

Picture it. Large demon sitting on a throne talking seriously to his Generals about an upcoming battle when you see his face twitch into something close to a smile. He never smiles unless he's killing something. It makes you uncomfortable. All of a sudden, he sits up straighter and lets out... a giggle. A giggle?! What in the Seven Hells? You look at him again just to verify what you saw.. and it happens again. You see your King twitch and giggle and then his face gets meaner than normal.

You know it's gonna be a bad day.

Meanwhile, the King is trying to not giggle again. The sensation of a soft cloth running up and down his spine is soothing, but the blasted cold of the polishing oil tickles. Why can't they break the prison already? He's getting tired of being dropped on his head or feeling like his horns are going to be ripped off because those stupid paladin's can't sharpen an axe worth a damn. The feeling of his horns running something through is almost enough to make it bearable... if it happened more often.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 am

Wasn't the explanation of Big Ears that the Axe isn't actually a prison, but more of a gateway to the realm of the demon? If I remember that correctly, that would mean for that theory to be right every individual in that realm is now constantly tortured. Somehow I doubt that that's how it works.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:56 am

Guus wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 am Wasn't the explanation of Big Ears that the Axe isn't actually a prison, but more of a gateway to the realm of the demon? If I remember that correctly, that would mean for that theory to be right every individual in that realm is now constantly tortured. Somehow I doubt that that's how it works.
Yeah, I think you're right on the gateway.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:49 pm

If you start hammering nails into a door-frame, would that hurt the people sitting in the room? I doubt it.
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 pm

According to Arrow's logic combined with Big Ears description, that's how a magical self-locking/opening door is.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:41 am

hmm, I remembered him trapped *in* the axe, I don't remember the axe being a doorway.

if the demon is "inside" the axe, then it makes sense the pain cloak effect would affect him.

If its a doorway then, yea, my theory can be discarded. And I can finally read the page without cringing for the tortured being inside :)

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:15 am

Let's also not forget that what you fear this demon might be going through is a sleepy foot compared to what he wants to do to all of our favorite characters.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:35 pm

So this might be the wrong place for this question, but where's the best place to get a rough idea on Thunt's status (i.e. if he's on vacation, if he's taking a break from drawing to work on the Animated series, or if a comic is coming)? I was stalking Thunt's twitter for awhile, as normally when he's drawing, he's posting something out there, but now it seems that's gone pretty quiet beyond him retweeting people occasionally or posting that a comic has been posted.

NOTE: This is not a "complain about the schedule" post. I don't care. Thunt can post whenever he wants and I'll be ok with it, I'm just curious if there's a way you all keep up to date on comic updates that I'm not aware of.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:04 pm

I believe he just stopped to post too many updates about his personal life. I hope so at least, maintaining your social media persona can be quite draining.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.