The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:46 am

Jax shrugs.

"He offered, but the hay makes me sneeze up a storm so figured I'd take me chances elsewhere."

Quietly:
"Oh yeah? Who is he then? Must be pretty important I reckon!"

((In case new rolls are needed:
Persuasion: 2D20.HIGH(2)+11 = [4, 1]+11 = 16
))

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Vatro is the all seeing shadow.

Vatro stealth: 1D20+7 = [20]+7 = 27
Vatro perception: 1D20+6+1D4 = [15]+6+[3] = 24
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:29 pm

Jax

"Oh yeah? Who is he then? Must be pretty important I reckon!"

Travok glances behind him, as if to check his boss wasn't lurking behind him on the roof of the carriage. Seeing it clear, he leans in further and whispers under his breath.

"...Frederick Carmichael."

"Don't you go spreading that around though, you 'ear? Man likes his privacy, 'specially when we're out of town on business. Reason he travels round in this thing 'stead o' something fancy."

Veska and Vatro

With everything set up, Veska sets to work. She does stumble a little, knocking the chair into the wall with a soft thump. But for the most part her plan goes off perfectly - the painting swinging open softly to reveal a locked iron safe embedded in the brickwork.

Vatro, meanwhile, watches her shadow move around in the darkness from the doorway while he keeps an eye out. The building seems completely deserted, thankfully, so there isn't much to watch out for.
However, he does notice something strange about Veska herself. While he can't see her directly, something about her movements seem a lot more fluid than they did earlier. As if they fit her body better. And is it just him, or is her shadow longer than it was before too?

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:42 am

Veska does a short fist-pump, with a hushed "yes!" She knows for damn sure that wouldn't set an Alarm spell off!

Now to crack the safe. She picks the chair back up and scoots it up to the wall, so she can reach the safe in the first place. With lockpicking tools in hand, she clambers up on the chair and sets to work.

Dexterity (Picking Locks) to open office wall safe w/ Guidance: 1D20+7+1D4 = [12]+7+[1] = 20

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:43 am

"well I'll be! Don't you worry - I know better than to piss off them in power!

It's still early, huh? Are we going up to the main gate or do you have like a private entrance you use to get into the city? Only asking cos if I get seen coming into town on a cab, there's a few folk'll think I've got money to pay'em back!"

Persuasion: 2D20.HIGH(1)+11 = [15, 18]+11 = 29

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Jax

"It's still early, huh? Are we going up to the main gate or do you have like a private entrance you use to get into the city? Only asking cos if I get seen coming into town on a cab, there's a few folk'll think I've got money to pay'em back!"

"Private entrance? Pah! I got no doubt Junior's got one hidden somewhere, but he ain't told us 'bout it. Nah, we'll have t' go through the gate, same as e'ryone else."

"Could always let you off before the walls, but then ye'll have t' wait 'til they open the gate at dawn. Or walk down t' slums. We've got a...special relationship with the guards, y'see? Should let us right in, no questions asked. Just cover your head with a cloak or som'at, if ye're that worried."

Veska and Vatro

Veska practically dives for the safe, pausing only to let Vatro cast on her again. The lock is a lot tougher than the other one, but she still manages to pop it open, if only barely.

Inside is what looks like a ledger of some kind, two cloth bags, and a magnifying glass. Glancing inside the bags reveals one contains coins, and the other a collection of small gemstones. She'll need to empty the bags out and count them to figure exactly how much of each there is.

- Bag of gold coins [unknown amount]
- Bag of gems [unknown value]
- Magnifying glass
- Ledger [good quality]

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:08 pm

"True enough... I might well hop off a bit early, depends who's around. Heh - I don't suppose he'd let me ride inside this thing do you?"

Jax grins to make it clear it's intended as a joke, but is still keen to hear what the driver's reply is.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:03 pm

The slight hint of dragon's blood in Veska's veins starts to boil, and she lets out a soft gasp at the sight of the soon-to-be ill-gotten wealth. She stops to admire it for a moment, reaching into one of the bags and running her clawed fingers between the coins. She lamented that she'd have to part with some of it and give Vatro a share. It's only fair, since the elf helped a little bit.

She regains her senses quickly, though. After all, there was still a slight chance that an Alarm was ringing in the safe owner's head right about now. She takes all the goods out of the safe and deposits everything except for the ledger into a sack, wrapping the fragile and expensive-looking magnifying glass in two other sacks before also dropping it in.

Veska lifts her haul over her shoulder and makes out like the bandit she is. "Got some'ore readin' for ya," she says to Vatro, tossing the ledger to him. "Was in the safe, no idea what it is. Now let's go, 'fore anyone misses it. We'll find a safe spot and split all this."

"Yer way out's clear? I'd use the window again, but, I mean, 'less you trust me enough to meet ya outside?"

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Jax

"True enough... I might well hop off a bit early, depends who's around. Heh - I don't suppose he'd let me ride inside this thing do you?"

"Hah, not likely! Boss ain't one for picking up hitch-hikers at the best o' times. And that promise t' toss you in a ditch weren't a lie, lemme tell ya! So feel free to jump off whenever you want. Let me know a'fore and I'll slow down a bit, but I ain't stopping for nothing else. 'cept maybe the guards."

Whatever Jax decides to do, he'll have to think quickly. The walls are starting to get closer, and he's pretty sure he can see the lights of the main gate in the distance...

Uragh and Kytiel

~Meanwhile, back at the inn~

Uragh and Kytiel wake to the crowing of a cockerel, and the soft light of dawn coming through their windows. Both had an uneventful night, Uragh's preparations of blocking proving unnecessary.

However, neither can shake the feeling that something isn't quite right...

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Uragh knew pretty well that the blocking was likely completely unnecessary... But you never knew- One day that old shipmate of his might track him down, and he'd like some advance warning if that happens... Rather than just a slit throat.

Still, making as little of fuss as possible, he moves back everything as it was, before heading out... Even though something felt wrong.

...Where was the guy he was supposed to "protect"..?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:34 pm

((How long has he got left on his spells? Also, roughly how long will it take Jax to get back to the inn?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Kytiel rises, puts on the proper face for the day, and heads down to the common area, looking to make contact with Uragh and Jax...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 am

Jax pulls his hood over his head to hide his face.

"I'll jump off when we get inside of you don't mind? Where are you headed anyway? Up to the big Carmichael house or does he stay somewhere else? What about you? You get some sort of retainer to wait on him or do you do regular work too? Seems a nice job!"

He'll hop down before his spell wears off and wave a cheerful goodbye to the driver before melting into the shadows to wait for them to leave. Once they're out of sight, help change his face to a generic human traveler and head out back to the inn, pausing to touch up his Noble disguise at his pack.

((Ok, that's more than one question :) Jax is mostly interested in how the driver and cart get through the gate- is there a special signal or writ or anything?))

Persuasion; perception: 2D20.HIGH(1)+11 = [10, 14]+11 = 25
1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:57 am

((Has the lighting been good enough for Jax to have studied his riding companions appearance?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:00 am

((THAT'S the other thing I wanted to do! Can he see the driver's face at all? He's a half elf, so should be able to see in the dark just fine.))

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:58 am

Vatro tries not to react too much as he touches his apparently scaly friend to help him with some forest magic. When he get's the ledger, he quickly skims it while Veska speaks. When she stops, he just put it in his bag and follows Veska towards the window.

"Window is fine, I don't need the vines to get down. Wouldn't want to go the basement hoping no one got to work early."

Vatro takes a quick peek outside to see if the coast is clear

Vatro perception: 1D20+6+1D4 = [5]+6+[2] = 13
Would like to point out my passive perception is 16 :shifty:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:21 am

((Oh right, Guidance is a Touch spell. Hmm... could Veska make a Sleight of Hand check against Vatro's passive Perception to notice her scaliness? Like, she shifts a bit so he touches part of her armor instead.

Sleight of Hand against Vatro touch: 1D20+4 = [15]+4 = 19))

"Ehm... ya sure? We're on the top floor, pal. Ya won't break yer legs?"

Veska heads back over to the desk and puts the chair back in its proper place (and retrieves her amazing drawing). Also, since the two are about to leave, she recasts Disguise Self to gain her thin-faced, blonde halfling look from before.

Afterward, if Vatro's absolutely sure, Veska will lead the way to the window, also checking to see if the coast is clear. If it is, she'll make her way down the vines first and dart for safety!

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:47 am

Jax

"I'll jump off when we get inside of you don't mind? Where are you headed anyway? Up to the big Carmichael house or does he stay somewhere else? What about you? You get some sort of retainer to wait on him or do you do regular work too? Seems a nice job!"

"Boss don't like staying in the big house - 'e's got a cabin on the manor grounds 'stead. An' nah, it's a full time job. Pays well though, so I ain't complaining!"

Glancing at Tarvok, Jax tries to memorize his looks. He's pretty large for a dwarf - if you had to guess, you'd say he's close to 5ft. And there's a lot of muscle hidden under that cloak of his. The beard, contrastingly, is rather short, being shaven to almost a goatee. You can't really see much of his face under his hood, but what you can see looks rugged and worn from time spent outdoors in harsh environments.
► Show Spoiler
As the carriage approaches the gate, the guards on duty stand to attention and glance at each other. Seems they weren't expecting anyone this early in the morning. One of the two raises his hand, and Tarvok pulls the horses to a panting stop.

"Halt! The city gates are closed! No entry before-"

"You ain't Bellam. Where's Bellam?"

The guard stumbles, not expecting to be interrupted. Sharing another nervous glance with his partner, he clears his throat and replies.

"Uh...Recruit Bellam is on sick leave. Training accident."

"Ah, shame. Take it you're new t' gate duty then?"

"I'm sorry sir, but my orders are-"

"Nah, I'm the one who's sorry, son. Listen, 'ere's how things are gonna go. You're gonna turn around, an' go talk to your superior on the other side o' that wall. And you're gonna tell 'em Tarvok's looking to get in. An' he's got a passenger who's 'ad a long day, and wants t' get home before he has to 'ave someone sacked."

"But-"

"Look, we are going through this gate. Whether you let us or not."

The sudden menace in Tarvok's voice puts the guards on edge, one immediately grabbing for his sword. But then he seems to realise that's a bad idea. Sliding open a hatch in the giant wooden doors, he has a whispered conversation with whoever's on the other side. At first they seem annoyed at being disturbed, but at the mention of the name Tarvok, there appears to be a flurry of panicked activity.

Moments later the gates heave open, to the wordless shock of the two guards. Whipping the reigns, Tarvok gives them a friendly nod as the carriage trundles past.

"You boys 'ave a nice night."

Uragh and Kytiel

Heading out into the bar area, Uragh and Kytiel find each other easy enough. But they can't help but notice the conspicuous absense of their "noble" friend.

And it looks like they aren't the only ones interested in that.

"Mornin'. Where's yer buddy? He's got a pretty heavy tab to sort out."
► Show Spoiler
Veska and Vatro

Stowing away their totally-legit-goods, the pair head for the window. Peering out, Vatro sees that the alleyway looks clear to him. He also sees that it's quite a long way down to the ground. Climbing up onto the roof would definitely be easier, but then he'd have to figure out where to go from there...

((Both of you roll Athletics to climb down/up. And I'll take a Per check from Veska, too.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 am

"Ah.. let me see if he's up."

Kytiel heads back up, his annoyance and anger at Jax building as he finds an empty room (presumably).

Did Jax leave any stuff behind?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:16 am

((he didn't have much of anything with him, but he'd probably have left anything very fancy behind (like his satchel with his forgetting kit etc.) and just grabbed a travelers cloak to pull over his clothes. The window's ajar)).

Once inside the city gates, Jax thanks the driver and hops off a few streets away from the main gate.

He waits for the cart to clear off out of sight, then drops his disguise and hurries towards the slums and the other exit at brisk walk, jogging when he thinks it won't draw attention.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:19 am

((Assuming the door is locked, would you like a thieves' tools check if Jax doesn't respond to a knock?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:44 am

Thieves tools: 1D20+4 = [16]+4 = 20

Kytiel pops the lock with little trouble.

"Jax? You here?"

He has a look about, trying to piece things together.

Investigation: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:47 pm

Jax

Once inside the city, Jax waits for the carriage to slow for a corner then jumps off. Tarvok gives him a nod, before disappearing into the night.

And just in time too - barely a minute later, Jax feels the effects of his Charm Person spell wear off. There definitely won't be any consequences once Tarvok figures out he was magicked. Nope, none at all...

Still, Jax isn't going to stick around to find out. Changing disguise, he hurries south towards the slums, soon reaching the southern gatehouse. This is also guarded, but the doors are open. To people on foot, at least. Not that the guards are going to let him through that easily.

"Morning. You're up early. What for?"

Kytiel

Heading up to Jax's room, Kytiel easily pops the lock to find it completely deserted. Judging by the open window and lack of cloak, he can only assume Jax slipped out some point during the night.

Still, he did leave his bag. So he's probably coming back...?

Veska and Vatro

Climbing out of the window carefully, Veska begins her descent. But as she's passing the middle windows, two things happen.

The first is that she hears voices, coming from around the corner. And sees torches.

"-lling you, there's someone in there!"

"Yes sir, you've said. But who?"

"I don't know, do I!? That's not how it works! The spell only alerts me, it doesn't tell me anything!"

"...yes sir."

Luckily, the voices don't seem to be coming their way. They seem to be heading towards the front door instead, crossing the end of the alley. As long as they don't think to check down this alleyway, the criminal duo should be fine.

Then Veska's foot slips.

Flailing on the side of the building, she manages to stop herself falling - but the damage might already be done. The vines rip audibly under her weight, and she hears the owners of the voices stop talking and pause...

((You can attempt an Athletics check to regain your footing, but that'll use half your movement this turn. You're currently 12ft up the wall, and 13ft from the window where Vatro is about to climb out. He hasn't heard the voices yet.))