The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:54 am

((Roll Investigation, Vader))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am

Investigation on Rat food: 1D20-1 = [10]-1 = 9

((Obviously the rats were such a monumental challenge that Veska can level up and get Investigation proficiency :shifty: ))

((I'm actually dying))

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:27 am

Veska and Uragh

Veska takes a closer look at whatever the rats were interested in, but can't really figure out what it is. Or was, rather. It's definitely made of meat, and she's pretty sure that's some bone poking out...?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 am

Uragh idly kicks away one of the rat corpses, disgusted... Taking a look at it himself.

"there gonna be any more surprises en route..?"

Investigation: 1D20+6 = [9]+6 = 15

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 am

"There better not be, the kobolds're supposed to be keepin' things runnin' smooth down here," Veska grumbles, not able to discern what this pile of meat was supposed to be pre-rat feast. She can't help but wonder, if the rats got this bad, what else aren't the kobolds up here taking care of?

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 am

Veska and Uragh

Peering over Veska's shoulder, Uragh takes a look at the mystery meat. And it doesn't take him long to realise that the bone is definitely part of an elbow joint, gristle and all. He's pretty sure the other end has the remains of a few fingers too, even if they have been gnawed to pieces...

He also realises it's too small to belong to an adult human. Which means it's either from an unfortunate child, or some kind of smaller creature, like a halfling.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:38 am

Uragh shakes his head slowly. "Those kobold don't have any grievances with topsiders, do they? Cause otherwise, seems like someone decided to dump his evidence down the drain... Either a child or perhaps some kin of yours... Don't ask me which." Uragh let's know... But otherwise looks mostly ready to continue

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:07 pm

"Hell...," Veska breathes, her blood freezing in her veins. "And under the rich district... once the guards catch wind o' someone missin' up here, they'll be swarmin' worse'n the rats."

It happened on occasion. Somebody would dump a body down into the sewers to get rid of the evidence. Usually the kobold response would be to leave it the hell alone and pretend they didn't see anything. At least, that was what they did in the middle quarters, but this was under the rich district. The guards listen a lot more to people with money, so it seemed like only a matter of time before they come stomping down here looking for a missing kid or halfling or whoever this pile of gore was.

She runs a hand over her scaly head, and phasing through her non-existent halfling hair (invisibly). So does she just ignore this and let the northern packs deal with it, or...?

"...I'm gonna take us on a detour. I got kobold friends, and I don't want 'em takin' the heat fer this," Veska says, kneeling down next to the remains of the corpse. "There's still meat here, and the way the rats were goin' at it, that means this couldn't o' been dropped here more'n a few minutes ago."

With that, Veska searches the surrounding area for tracks or other telltale signs of passage. It was probably humans who did it, it usually is. Or maybe this poor sod ran some ways himself before he got caught by the rats?

Survival to backtrack murderer (Natural Explorer + Favored Enemy (Humans and Halflings)): 2D20.HIGH(1)+6 = [20, 16]+6 = 26
(Crit! Even without Advantage, if it doesn't apply)

"You know how much of a body ya gotta have to do that resurrection magic, by the way? The family can prolly pay fer it, whoever this is supposed to be."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Uragh shrugs, thinking for a moment...

Arcana: 1D20 = [15] = 15

"Not completely certain. Aren't there multiple levels of those kind of spells..? Think it mostly has to do with time, but having the full body would probably help... I guess we ought to carry it with us for now, if you think there's a profit to be turned..?" Uragh asks, not... Really seeming that optimistic about the idea. Nor as interested to pick up the severed arm.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Jax turns to the others in the room, and says:

"Well, since we have ourselves settled in now, and that strange book is back in the bag of holding... Who did you take that from anyway?

...Anyway, I think this might be an opportunity to pay a visit to the bank. Given that we will be settling the estate of your dearly departed uncle, it would make sense for him to want to check that the facilities at the bank are up to par. I can't imagine they'll give us a tour of the place since we're pretty poor by Carmichael standards, but we might be able to get some assurances out of them that'll tip us off to what kind of security they've got in place.

If you can give me a few minutes to put my face on, I'll have Darius come with you. ...Shame we've lost your bodyguard in a sewer.

Or we can try our luck at figuring out where the guards are likely to be patrolling."

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:32 pm

"I was thinkin' of just droppin' the bits in front o' the house, let them deal with it. The sooner they figure out this guy's dead, the less we gotta worry about guards scourin' the city for him."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:40 pm

"What house..? And that sounds like a plan that would put us both at risk of being detected, AND wouldn't get us any gold..."

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm

"I dunno, whichever house this guy's from! Or just drop it in the street or somethin'. Unless you wanna try ransomin' the bits off? 'Cause that sounds like a worse idea."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:59 pm

"Nah. I'm just saying we'd ought to leave it here, and have the rats that scurried off earlier finish it, if we've no plan to actually turn a buck from it. Why go topside and risk getting seen?"

"If you feel some kind of obligation, go right ahead... But we get seen carrying a corpse in the middle of the day, and there'll be trouble, yeah? Especially for me." Uragh indicates, showing he'd have no part... At least, now without a promise of a potential reward, which didn't sound like it at the moment.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:27 pm

"Yeah, yeah," Veska says, the dark smear waving the half-orc off. "Never asked ya fer yer help on this anyway."

Veska picks over the body looking for anything that might identify who this person was, before even considering hacking away at it.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:12 am

Veska and Uragh

As Veska takes a closer look around the area, Uragh considers what he knows about regeneration magic. Which isn't much, unsurprisingly - it's not exactly his area of expertise. Still, he does remember hearing the odd story about people getting brought back from just limbs. It's high-level magic though, not something you could just pop into a church and get done in an afternoon. Probably expensive, too.

Meanwhile, Veska doesn't find any other body parts, but does locate what seems to be a trail of blood leading deeper into the tunnels. It looks like the rest of this poor sod may have been dragged away? And it's going towards the bank too, so they won't even need to take a detour!

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:24 am

"Hell, this bastard might still be alive! That'd make things easier...," Veska muses, tracing the bloody trail. She stops to pick up what's left of the arm in one of her burlap sacks, probably ruining it, but it's only a copper's-worth anyway.

Veska motions at Uragh to come along, before heading deeper into the sewers and towards the source of blood!

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 am

Veska and Uragh

(Assuming no objections from Uragh) Veska leads the pair deeper into the sewers, following this totally-not-mysterious blood trail. After looting the torn-up arm, naturally.

The trail takes them down into the lower levels of the sewer network, where the larger tunnels and chambers are. From what Veska remembers, these parts were mostly built to handle the rapid increase in drainage from flood waters. Not that there are many floods at this end of town, so far from the sea and river. While the deeper caverns under the Market and Harbour spent this half of the year mostly underwater, the tunnels they were in now just had the usual run-off of rich-people shit to deal with.

Last she'd heard, the drier sections had mostly been repurposed as dens by the local Kobold pack.

(Roll Perception, and Stealth if you're being sneaky)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:48 am

Assuming that everyone else has fallen asleep, Jax will disguise himself as Darius and head up to the bank for a look around. Hopefully with company; on his own otherwise. He will stick to the main streets, as befits a man of Darius's stature.

Disguise (INT + Kit Prof): 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:01 am

((Is it nighttime now? I missed that.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 am

((No, but no one's been talking to Jax for like 2 forum pages :lol: I think it's morning.))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 am

Uragh didn't object, long as it would not interfere with their main mission... Although for him the sewers would all be the same- far too stinky, and filled with regret for coming down here in the first place... It is a very tempting prospect to find some kind of charm of smell nullification if they were going to do any part of the actual heist through here. He's not super perceptive during their walk... But at least calling him as quiet as a mouse would be considered an insult.

perception stealth: 1D20+2 = [7]+2 = 9
1D20+6 = [20]+6 = 26

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:22 am

((I did miss your 'let's go to the bank' post.))

Kytiel becomes Khyle and joins Darius.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:25 am

Stealth and Perception (Natural Explorer) following blood trail:
1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11
1D20+6 = [14]+6 = 20

Apparently Veska is so comfortable in her invisibility against darkvision that she doesn't put too much effort into being Stealthy, ever, (only getting more than a 15 once the whole game). That, or she's too focused on keeping an eye out on her surroundings, which she does pretty well!

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Veska and Uragh

While Veska takes the lead, Uragh hangs back a bit - the "interesting" aroma of the sewers starting to get the better of him. Descending deeper into the sewers, their tunnel eventually opens up into a tall chamber that seems to serve as an intersection of sorts, with four tunnels on the "ground" floor and four more above them. In the centre of the chamber sits what looks like a large pit covered by a grate, into which channels of waste flow.

But the blood trail doesn't go that way. Instead, it goes...up the wall? And as Veska peers above them, she sees a shape moving in the darkness near one of the upper tunnels. A large shape.

At first thought it reminds her of a centipede. A long body, supported by many legs clinging to the wall. But even the giant versions she occasionally saw in the Harbour sewers rarely got as big as her. This thing was bigger than Uragh.

However, all these thoughts are quickly pushed aside by a far more important one - this should not be here.

Luckily, the beast is distracted. It seems to have found a ledge on the wall, and is focused entirely on something there. But then, moments after Veska notices it, the creature pauses. It's head swivels around, tentacles probing the air....then turning to look directly at her.

It's then that she remembers that bloody arm she picked up.

Oh. Lovely.

((Roll Initiative))

Jax and Kytiel

Meanwhile, on the surface, Jax and Kytiel enjoy a lovely morning stroll as their alter egos!

The trip to the bank is uneventful, the guards waving them through in their fancy clothes without a second glance. Being their first time seeing the bank itself, they're struck by how....monolithic it looks. The impressive structure seems almost to be carved from a single block of unblemished marble, and makes the surrounding buildings look plain in comparison.

Climbing the steps to the main entrance (and noting the two guards standing alongside it), they're greeted by an androgynous half-elf receptionist who gives them a pleasant smile.

"Good day sirs. How may we assist you today."