16 July 2018: Sorry, who's up there?

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

16 July 2018: Sorry, who's up there?

Post by Krulle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:21 pm

permalink: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-16-2018/
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Imma boop you on the nose with a new Goblins comic! Will Minmax, with his high intelligence, be able to figure out who is up there? BOOP!

Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: 16 July 2018: Sorry, who's up there?

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:49 pm

It's only now I realize only Chief actually learned her name. To the rest of them, she was just another escaping monster.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/10222015-2

Ears remembered her name, and now they all know Minmax loves her.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:22 pm

I don't know about "all". Thaco doesn't remember from the look of it, but Complains clearly does.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:37 pm

I think Thaco is just messing with Minmax, isn't he?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a sarcastic response from Thaco. Based on how often Minmax said her name in the previous panel
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

arkayn
Remains Silent

Post by arkayn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:38 am

It has been almost forever since I posted on here, but I have kept following the comic even during the down time.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 am

Ehhhh

Can't quite put a finger on it, but this page isn't working for me for some reason

It's....... silly

when we should be getting a big hit of emotion

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:54 am

I'd imagine the bit hit of emotion will be coming when they finally get reunited.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Yep, on a re-read, you're totally right. Thaco is trolling Minmax.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:18 pm

AXIS wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 am Ehhhh

Can't quite put a finger on it, but this page isn't working for me for some reason

It's....... silly

It's the problem with having need for a punchline ever so often. I think this comic often has a tone problem. Remember, all these characters just saw their friends tortured to death or fallen from a bridge-to-death. It just happened to them. Like. Just moments ago. Long moments, sure, but I don't remember them making camp or anything.

Plus, the page's very flat. Not much is happening in the frames.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Rooks wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:54 am I'd imagine the bit hit of emotion will be coming when they finally get reunited.
And right now it feels like we're only waiting for that to happen. What we need is a ticking clock. I think we needed a creepy shot of the sawn together mouth doing something sinister, or something. Sure, Kin can't speak. She probably can't cast. We need to affirm that she also is in danger to keep us on our toes.

Right now we're just watching Thac0 goof with MinMax and waiting for them to stop doing that.

crow76308
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by crow76308 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:25 pm

I love this bit of comedy. It's a much needed break from the drama and angst.
Possum explicare vobis, sed Ego aliter comprehendere non illam tibi.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:28 am

I think Minmax is realizing he has no idea how to get up there and do some saving in the last panel.

But I'm also feeling a teensy bit let down that we haven't yet received any hint of urgency about WHY they should save Kin and not just finish the dungeon and come back for her.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 am

Generic wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:18 pm

It's....... silly

It's the problem with having need for a punchline ever so often. I think this comic often has a tone problem. Remember, all these characters just saw their friends tortured to death or fallen from a bridge-to-death. It just happened to them. Like. Just moments ago. Long moments, sure, but I don't remember them making camp or anything.

They did make camp once, here: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12232015-2. But even if we assume that they rested for 8 hours and every room in this dungeon took them an hour to complete (which is a very generous assumption), from the view of Minmax and the GAP it has still been less than a day since:

Kin broke up with Minmax
Fumbles came out of his catatonic state
Chief got tortured to death
Forgath died
The Axe of Prissan broke and hell started to take over
Complains transformed further into a demon several times
Thaco, Ears and Complains almost died in an explosion
Ears lost a hand
Fumbles almost got killed by a botched ritual

One would expect all of this has some emotional impact on the characters. Their constant snarking and bickering seems somewhat incongruous with the state of mind they should be in at this point.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:22 am

Morgaln wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 am They did make camp once, here: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12232015-2. But even if we assume that they rested for 8 hours and every room in this dungeon took them an hour to complete (which is a very generous assumption), from the view of Minmax and the GAP it has still been less than a day since:

Kin broke up with Minmax
Forgath died
Ears lost a hand

One would expect all of this has some emotional impact on the characters. Their constant snarking and bickering seems somewhat incongruous with the state of mind they should be in at this point.
True, but... there are meta considerations. This is not a novel. It is a web-comic being published page by page over a period of many years. Some incongruity is inescapable. If the characters had been constantly angsting over those losses this whole time, the fan reading experience would have been terrible.

In a way, it's only an exaggeration of tabletop gaming, where character timelines just about never match up with a player experience of, say, weekly gaming sessions. When players remember, they might roleplay a bit of grief over another character who died a dozen dungeon rooms back, but for the players it was three months ago, so they're not going to be doing it all the time. That would be no fun. They snark and joke, both in and out of character. The comic's real-world timeline has been much more stretched out than this.
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:49 am

Morgaln wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 am
Generic wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:18 pm

It's....... silly

They did make camp once, here: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12232015-2. But even if we assume that they rested for 8 hours and every room in this dungeon took them an hour to complete (which is a very generous assumption), from the view of Minmax and the GAP it has still been less than a day since:

Kin broke up with Minmax
Forgath died
Ears lost a hand

I forgot about most of those things. That's ok, the characters seems to have as well.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Haven't you ever heard of a coping mechanism?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 pm

I think the tone of this comic is fine. I got an emotional payoff just from Minmax realizing it's Kin, and immediately being puppyishly excited and desperate for the reunion. Undercutting that with Thaco's sarcasm (and Complains cracking up) was a great way to keep us "on the hook" for another week. The next comic will get into a lot of details of how exactly he plans to get to her; better to have a "beat" panel before getting into all that.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:19 pm

redfeather wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 pm I think the tone of this comic is fine. I got an emotional payoff just from Minmax realizing it's Kin, and immediately being puppyishly excited and desperate for the reunion. Undercutting that with Thaco's sarcasm (and Complains cracking up) was a great way to keep us "on the hook" for another week. The next comic will get into a lot of details of how exactly he plans to get to her; better to have a "beat" panel before getting into all that.

Ah there we go, you put the finger on it for me.

MinMax is acting like a stupid teenager in love rather than an adult.

okay that makes sense now, still doesn't work for me but at least I know why.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:17 am

AXIS wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:19 pm
redfeather wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 pm I think the tone of this comic is fine. I got an emotional payoff just from Minmax realizing it's Kin, and immediately being puppyishly excited and desperate for the reunion. Undercutting that with Thaco's sarcasm (and Complains cracking up) was a great way to keep us "on the hook" for another week. The next comic will get into a lot of details of how exactly he plans to get to her; better to have a "beat" panel before getting into all that.

Ah there we go, you put the finger on it for me.

MinMax is acting like a stupid teenager in love rather than an adult.

okay that makes sense now, still doesn't work for me but at least I know why.
Well, a few days ago he DID turn 13.
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/07092005

Scoshan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Scoshan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:36 am

Okay, call me clueless, but I don't get to what you're referring on that page.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:08 am

The date of publication....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Scoshan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Scoshan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 am

I didn't even think of that, and in hindsight it should have been obvious. :oops:

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 am

Sessine wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:22 am
Morgaln wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 am They did make camp once, here: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12232015-2. But even if we assume that they rested for 8 hours and every room in this dungeon took them an hour to complete (which is a very generous assumption), from the view of Minmax and the GAP it has still been less than a day since:

Kin broke up with Minmax
Forgath died
Ears lost a hand

True, but... there are meta considerations. This is not a novel. It is a web-comic being published page by page over a period of many years. Some incongruity is inescapable. If the characters had been constantly angsting over those losses this whole time, the fan reading experience would have been terrible.

In a way, it's only an exaggeration of tabletop gaming, where character timelines just about never match up with a player experience of, say, weekly gaming sessions. When players remember, they might roleplay a bit of grief over another character who died a dozen dungeon rooms back, but for the players it was three months ago, so they're not going to be doing it all the time. That would be no fun. They snark and joke, both in and out of character. The comic's real-world timeline has been much more stretched out than this.
Novels don't get written in a day either; some of them are taking years to write, or in the case of long series, they might even take decades. Just ask George R.R. Martin or Robert Jordan (might have to find a good medium for that one, though). Considering the doorstopper nature of their writing, they have a lot more stuff happening that they need to keep straight than a webcomic with a few hundred pages. Yes, novels go through a lot of editing and proofreading after they have been finished. A webcomic cannot do that. But that doesn't mean a webcomic is exempt from quality control. It just means that quality control needs to happen at an earlier point in production.

As for the tabletop gaming, I am once again struck by how different everyone's experience seems to be from mine when it comes to RPs. My players will absolutely change the behavior of their characters if something happens that affects them emotionally. They will consider how a situation affects their characters and they will adjust their game accordingly. If their characters are distressed, or angry, or depressed, they will play them like that and they will not suddenly forget about it from one session to the next. I guess I'm just blessed with awesome players, since not caring about the story or character development is apparently the standard.