July 23rd, 2018 - I Know, Minmax

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

July 23rd, 2018 - I Know, Minmax

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:59 pm

I love how Kin's note in the middle row comes down before Minmax starts speaking.

I also think this whole interaction will read better in the published book, when you can just go from one page to the next instead of waiting a month to read the entire 5 minute conversation.

Minmax is going up there no matter what. But can Kin convince the GAP (whom she barely knows) to follow?

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-17-2018
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: July 23rd, 2018 - I Know, Minmax

Post by Krulle » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:19 pm

Nice, being outvoted. Guessing Minmax would leave the party if the decide to move on anyway.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:30 am

When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate.
Soooooo, a prey could be like a goal, no? So if the serpent/Kin becomes Minmax' prey/goal, his new friends, our beloved party, will become his enemies, since they don't trust it and want to continue. His love for Kin will fuel his hate (again) for the Goblins.

Just a thought fart...

Punzil504
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Punzil504 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:54 am

Too bad that Kin's prediction of what Minmax was going to say can't be used as a positive reason to rescue her...

MinesData
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MinesData » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:59 am

I suspect very soon we'll see "Minmax, I see you" which will be the clincher.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:01 am

TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:30 am
When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate.
Soooooo, a prey could be like a goal, no? So if the serpent/Kin becomes Minmax' prey/goal, his new friends, our beloved party, will become his enemies, since they don't trust it and want to continue. His love for Kin will fuel his hate (again) for the Goblins.

Just a thought fart...
Nice idea, but the prophecy is almost certainly referring to Forgath, not Minmax. The first time we heard the prophecy, only Forgath was present and it said "when the serpent becomes your prey." The second time, Forgath and Minmax were both present and it again said "when the serpent becomes your prey." The third time, only Minmax was present and the prophecy said " when the serpent becomes his prey."
Whoever or whatever the serpent is (Kin is very likely here), they will become Forgath's prey and thus probably make enemies out of Minmax and him.

MinesData
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MinesData » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:08 am

Morgaln wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:01 am

Just a thought fart...
Nice idea, but the prophecy is almost certainly referring to Forgath, not Minmax. The first time we heard the prophecy, only Forgath was present and it said "when the serpent becomes your prey." The second time, Forgath and Minmax were both present and it again said "when the serpent becomes your prey." The third time, only Minmax was present and the prophecy said " when the serpent becomes his prey."
Whoever or whatever the serpent is (Kin is very likely here), they will become Forgath's prey and thus probably make enemies out of Minmax and him.
It's possible that the cursed Klik will be serpentine in nature (we've seen them evolve into non-Klik like forms) and Kin is a red herring.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:42 am

Just a thought fart...
Ah, you are right in your assessement, I will adjust my worldview thusly!

Gurkenglas
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Gurkenglas » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:26 am

Time for her to get creative!

"That my replies conform to what Minmax remembers of our interactions is true whether I'm fake or not. But my vocabulary indicates I can't be completely constructed from Minmax's mind, because imagine him trying to act like me. You could also test me on math? As to the contrivance, I used the same method to get to Minmax that he used to get to you, but I landed in the wrong room and have been wandering. I heard about Forgath from his murderer. Oh, here's a hair of mine."

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:29 am

He should be able to feel her. He already felt her regret. In fact they could shout something like "Feel love for Minmax!" and Minmax could sense it. The only problem is that Minmax would probably sense whatever the goblins were shouting out just because he's so keyed up.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Pink Bunny
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Pink Bunny » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:43 am

Just a thought fart...
Wouldn't that mean that Fumbles knows Forgath is alive at minimum?

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:08 am

Gurkenglas wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:26 am Time for her to get creative!

"That my replies conform to what Minmax remembers of our interactions is true whether I'm fake or not. But my vocabulary indicates I can't be completely constructed from Minmax's mind, because imagine him trying to act like me. You could also test me on math? As to the contrivance, I used the same method to get to Minmax that he used to get to you, but I landed in the wrong room and have been wandering. I heard about Forgath from his murderer. Oh, here's a hair of mine."
This is a very clever and Kin-like solution. I like it!
► Show Spoiler

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 am

Pink Bunny wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:43 am

Just a thought fart...
Wouldn't that mean that Fumbles knows Forgath is alive at minimum?
Fumbles knows the meaning of the whole prophecy, he just doesn't want to explain it because that would hurt: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/prophecies

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:40 pm

I'm wondering about Kin's reaction to Complains' assessment of the situation. The GAP knows that Minmax loves Kin, but Kin doesn't.. until now.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Kin has already noticed Minmax's bleeding hand on his way out and henceforth committed to using the teapot (undoubtedly needing to hide it first given the huge distance between the maze and home, as previously discussed since before she even did it) just for this reunion, I think she knows.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:41 pm

MinesData wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:08 am

Just a thought fart...
It's possible that the cursed Klik will be serpentine in nature (we've seen them evolve into non-Klik like forms) and Kin is a red herring.
I don't think it's the new Klik. Personally, I'm still not convinced that the new Kilk isn't well, Dies Horribly's new Klik monster. As for the Serpent from the prophesy, I think it's the Viper Clan. Forgath already read about them in the very beginning, so he knows about them. I can't imagine a scenario where Kin will become prey and lead to the death of Forgath by Minmax (which is a somewhat popular interpretation) without the comic devolving into soap opera with swords land, so the Viper Clan seems like the most likely option to me.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:28 pm

I already said it on Twitter but I'll say it again here. Ears should immediately lose all his Paladin abilities. This quote is directly from his long winded explanation about the difference between good and evil.

"The good will be quick to help others in need. They do this without hesitation. Without first requiring proof that the need is genuine"

Somebody just said they are in need. Minmax is desperate to help her. And Ears says he agrees that it's probably fake. In other words he is hesitating and requiring proof.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:37 pm

I don't think he should lose his paladin abilities, but it does seem odd for him to not want to investigate. For that matter, I'd think Complains would be more concerned with the possibility that she's up there, given how he bungled up rescuing her from Brassmoon.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 am

Hjerne wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:28 pm I already said it on Twitter but I'll say it again here. Ears should immediately lose all his Paladin abilities. This quote is directly from his long winded explanation about the difference between good and evil.

"The good will be quick to help others in need. They do this without hesitation. Without first requiring proof that the need is genuine"

Somebody just said they are in need. Minmax is desperate to help her. And Ears says he agrees that it's probably fake. In other words he is hesitating and requiring proof.
The scene needed some tension, and someone had to say the line I guess.

Isn't Thaco usually the grumpy one, apart from complains?
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:22 am

Hjerne wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:28 pm I already said it on Twitter but I'll say it again here. Ears should immediately lose all his Paladin abilities. This quote is directly from his long winded explanation about the difference between good and evil.

Maybe he is Kore and came back from the future in disguise as a Dwarf.

I kid...

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 am

It's also normal to have doubts about something. Forgath was only very recently lost. Mere hours ago. Logically, how would Kin, who was nowhere near the dungeon that they know of, hear about what happened? In this case, Ears is justified in his doubt.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:21 am

I agree with Wolfie. Being good doesn't mean you've got to act like you're brainless. Besides, Kin didn't state that she was in any immediate bodily or other kinds of danger, merely that she was trapped (=can't get out of the room), so there's no need to rush to her rescue. She even has time to scribble note after note. Therefore, it seems okay (to me) to think this through first and then decide on what to do.

Also, no person that I know is "good" or "kind/caring" 100% of the time. We all got our bad days. I can't imagine a world (even a fantasy world) where it would be different. Thus my interpretation is that even in RPGs and/or the THuntiverse there has to be some leeway of what can be done that is "not by the book" for want of a better expression, before a paladin would lose their powers/abilities, else there could not be any paladins at all with their powers/abilities working.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:41 pm

GathersIngredients wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:21 am I agree with Wolfie. Being good doesn't mean you've got to act like you're brainless. Besides, Kin didn't state that she was in any immediate bodily or other kinds of danger, merely that she was trapped (=can't get out of the room), so there's no need to rush to her rescue. She even has time to scribble note after note. Therefore, it seems okay (to me) to think this through first and then decide on what to do.

Also, no person that I know is "good" or "kind/caring" 100% of the time. We all got our bad days. I can't imagine a world (even a fantasy world) where it would be different. Thus my interpretation is that even in RPGs and/or the THuntiverse there has to be some leeway of what can be done that is "not by the book" for want of a better expression, before a paladin would lose their powers/abilities, else there could not be any paladins at all with their powers/abilities working.
Then again, not everyone goes out of their way to explain what good-ness is and how one should aspire to be. And not everyone is a paladin.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:17 pm

That's...exactly what Gathers said. Paladin-hood is demanding, but not so much so that nobody qualifies. If Big Ears knew for sure that Kin is in need, he'd be all for it; but certainly not in light of her visual absence and the mind-tricks they've suffered thus far.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:54 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:17 pm That's...exactly what Gathers said. Paladin-hood is demanding, but not so much so that nobody qualifies. If Big Ears knew for sure that Kin is in need, he'd be all for it; but certainly not in light of her visual absence and the mind-tricks they've suffered thus far.
I must have mistyped then. My intention was to say that Ears have spoken a lot about of the unwavering standard of those who are good. Thus I expect him to follow those standards, and when he does not it is jarring. On top of it all, he is a magical goodie-two-shoes of righteousness.

Being fateful and constant sucks sometimes. You must go against better judgement when you are supposed to be a beacon of hope.

I don't think we can hold DnD paladins to the same standards we hold actual living people in this world. They are something other, and even Thunt had Ears explain it to us.

I don't think he should lose any powers and whatnot. But I think it's out of character for him.

I think these songs portray paladins pretty well btw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfOeANDsXbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Fa1B7cAGE
Last edited by Generic on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.