31 July, 2018--Could that be what I think it is?

Discuss the comic here!
ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

31 July, 2018--Could that be what I think it is?

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:09 am

The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: 31 July, 2018--Could that be what I think it is?

Post by Wolfie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:12 am

His reaction to Complains is priceless and I notice that Thaco didn't move in response. It is odd to see Minmax have the Wisdom to question Ears, though a little background explanation would be helpful to clear things up.

Also, I want to see Kin's reactions to all of this, especially the revelation about really being into her.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 am

Minmax thinking to backpedal his "lying" accusation within a couple seconds is a remarkable degree of maturity and thoughtfulness.

EDIT - reading again, he didn't actually "backpedal" so much as "recontextualize". This is still surprising coming from him.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:46 am

I'm a little surprised that Ears thinks she's dead but hasn't mentioned it, especially with the context of Minmax loving her. He doesn't have the whole story, but why does he assume that Minmax met her before the attempt to escape rather than after.

Pink Bunny
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Pink Bunny » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:54 am

Rorrik wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:46 am I'm a little surprised that Ears thinks she's dead but hasn't mentioned it, especially with the context of Minmax loving her. He doesn't have the whole story, but why does he assume that Minmax met her before the attempt to escape rather than after.
I would assume because plot-wise its been like a week or less since that happened? They got out of Brassmoon, traveled a bit longer to the river pass and then into the Dungeon. They've only slept once in the dungeon, too. So saying its been a week is generous.

So if he loved her beforehand, that's something, but then in Brassmoon he assumed she died from being captured. He doesn't know anything about their dungeon crawl that may or may not have dragged out time for them to fall in love. And if the Maze of Many didn't have an unusual amount of time per run, then regardless they fell in love astronomically fast. Its pretty reasonable to assume before rather than after with all those variables attached.

Especially since before Brassmoon they knew Minmax as an adventurer who hunts monsters for XP, ala their War Camp. And by those terms Kin was a monster (which is why they're shocked about the statue in the first place).

Really my only problem with Ears here was needing proof, and it got addressed so its totally worth it. I hope Ears doesn't sweep it under the rug. Normally a scene being dragged out this long, especially with updates being slow would be frustrating, but this time it felt worth it just for this.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 am

Comparing BE to Kore's evilness?
That's harsh, Minmax!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:38 am

Rorrik wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:46 am I'm a little surprised that Ears thinks she's dead but hasn't mentioned it, especially with the context of Minmax loving her. He doesn't have the whole story, but why does he assume that Minmax met her before the attempt to escape rather than after.
Yeah. Me too. "So, how did you guys teleport right infront of us back on that bridge" was never a question that came up I guess.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Krulle wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 am Comparing BE to Kore's evilness?
That's harsh, Minmax!
Yeah, like I think it's slightly out of character for MM to go that hard. Seeing the high drama was satisfying after the comedy, "breather" pages, but I don't think MinMax is the right character for a speech after he's established to be a total idiot at anything but combat.

But what do I know, I'm drunk (again)...take my criticism (cause that's all I seem to produce...) with a pinch oof salt...or a pint of cider. Or six. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 pm

I'm not surprised Minmax remembered what Big Ears had to say about being good, since he remembers the definitions of other words he hears, like Sara puked it and pandlung.

Also worth noting, it's been speculated in the forums that while Minmax is has low intelligence, the person playing him is a crafty rules lawyer. (The idea has been around longer than I have, and I say forums, because this forum isn't where I first saw the idea.) I believe the player uses carefully crafted strategies to imitate his warriors intuition.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:38 pm

Glemp wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:32 pm
Krulle wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 am Comparing BE to Kore's evilness?
That's harsh, Minmax!
Yeah, like I think it's slightly out of character for MM to go that hard. Seeing the high drama was satisfying after the comedy, "breather" pages, but I don't think MinMax is the right character for a speech after he's established to be a total idiot at anything but combat.

But what do I know, I'm drunk (again)...take my criticism (cause that's all I seem to produce...) with a pinch oof salt...or a pint of cider. Or six. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

The poor guy just lost his brother. In the midst of his breakdown over that, he finds a kindred spirit within his nemesis' group; that punk bitch Complains tried to kill him when he was down and has been endlessly in his face the entire time.

I know Minmax is slow, but slow doesn't mean stupid... and he's gone through unbelievable shit recently.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:01 am

Thunt is now taking story suggestions from the forum it seems :D . This is about everything we talked about on the previous page's discussion.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:10 am

I know Wolfie already said this, but I really love how MinMax shoves Complains aside effortlessly like that.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:48 am

Generic wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:10 am I know Wolfie already said this, but I really love how MinMax shoves Complains aside effortlessly like that.
Yes... it might have been different if Complains had really been initiating combat, but he wasn't. He was just talking threateningly. MinMax had no time for getting into a fight with "Names" right then. He was fully focused on Kin, and Complains wasn't prepared to follow through.
► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:32 am

I don't have any business not congratulating Generic on a prediction well-done. I still stand by Big Ears' assessment that she might be a trap (Not that kind!), but this hair strand should change his mind.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:08 am

TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:01 am Thunt is now taking story suggestions from the forum it seems :D . This is about everything we talked about on the previous page's discussion.
Either that or we've read the comic so long we know the characters and how they'd react or what is/should happen due to circumstances seen. :)

Also, the visuals are evolving and are gorgeous.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:48 am

BuildsLegos wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:32 am she might be a trap (Not that kind!)
Well, we don't know how many eyes her snake half has....

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:50 am

Why would we think she has more than 2? Do you know a species of snake that has more? What does eye-count have to do with being a "trap"?

Just Karen
Gives Speeches

Post by Just Karen » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:22 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:50 am Why would we think she has more than 2? Do you know a species of snake that has more? What does eye-count have to do with being a "trap"?
It’s a not-so-subtle implication that she’s transgender, aka “a trap”, rooted in the concept that a transwoman who doesn’t explicitly tell everyone they meet they are trans is trying to “trap” someone into treating them as a sex object when they aren’t cisgender.

The eye reference is to “one eyed willie”.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:27 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:32 am I don't have any business not congratulating Generic on a prediction well-done. I still stand by Big Ears' assessment that she might be a trap (Not that kind!), but this hair strand should change his mind.
You should really congratulate Hjerne then. I did not predict anything.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Just Karen wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:22 pm
BuildsLegos wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:50 am Why would we think she has more than 2? Do you know a species of snake that has more? What does eye-count have to do with being a "trap"?
It’s a not-so-subtle implication that she’s transgender, aka “a trap”, rooted in the concept that a transwoman who doesn’t explicitly tell everyone they meet they are trans is trying to “trap” someone into treating them as a sex object when they aren’t cisgender.

The eye reference is to “one eyed willie”.
In that case, she would have two one eyed willies. Due to being a snake. Soo... Two eyes?

I am ok with leaving the subject of transgenderism now, in respect to those it matter to.

Mindlink
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Mindlink » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Is it a hair strand though? To me it looked like the string that was attached to her collar, could she have managed to remove it? Or was that a different color?

Scoshan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Scoshan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:30 pm

The leash and collar are blue, and I think it being removed may be too big a thing for it to happen off-screen.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:48 pm

Sorry Generic, I must have been going by a post where you agreed with Hjerne, so now I'll quote them to set the record straight.
Hjerne wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:28 pmI already said it on Twitter but I'll say it again here. Ears should immediately lose all his Paladin abilities. This quote is directly from his long winded explanation about the difference between good and evil.

"The good will be quick to help others in need. They do this without hesitation. Without first requiring proof that the need is genuine"

Somebody just said they are in need. Minmax is desperate to help her. And Ears says he agrees that it's probably fake. In other words he is hesitating and requiring proof.
Again, that he seems to keep his powers shows I and others are right in that it's not so strict and paladins are allotted room for practical skepticism. Now that Kin is providing proof of her existence, I think Big Ears will not need proof of her peril.

Just Karen, as the one to reference the term to begin with, maybe I don't need the entire life story of it? Red Feather was just making a reference too obscure to work is all, and now I'm wondering if there's any truth to Generic's confusing suggestion.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:48 pm Just Karen, as the one to reference the term to begin with, maybe I don't need the entire life story of it? Red Feather was just making a reference too obscure to work is all, and now I'm wondering if there's any truth to Generic's confusing suggestion.
:lol: You know there's more people on here than just the three of you, right? I found the explanation illuminating - I wasn't aware of the term. It seems irrelevant to the comic, but there you go I guess. :roll:

PoisonSymic
Remains Silent

Post by PoisonSymic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:23 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 pm
BuildsLegos wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:48 pm Just Karen, as the one to reference the term to begin with, maybe I don't need the entire life story of it? Red Feather was just making a reference too obscure to work is all, and now I'm wondering if there's any truth to Generic's confusing suggestion.
:lol: You know there's more people on here than just the three of you, right? I found the explanation illuminating - I wasn't aware of the term. It seems irrelevant to the comic, but there you go I guess. :roll:
I suspect that he's angry over the explanation because a transphobic term being explained in a calm, factual manner prevents him from attacking the explainer as an "oversensitive SJW".