The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Druid Group

The group discuss some of their tactical options, during which Mehriv appoints Varsk as the tactical director for the operation.

Turning to Gwen and the old dragonborn, he says, "Elder, do you recognise 'Valemgaldro'?"

The old man immediately freezes. He takes a few steadying breaths and eventually turns slowly to face Mehriv.

"That... That name. That was... that was my name. Where did you learn it...? How did you learn it? I... gods... I don't... it has been so long...

He looks around, apparently seeing the five of you with more clarity than before.

"You... If... If you are here, then there isn't much time. I had to give you something... yes! This!

He pulls a little pouch out from his pocket and shakes the contents into his hand, pressing a fairly large uncut, but clear diamond into Mehriv's palms.

"You will need this.

He looks up to the sky.

"There isn't much time. The paths diverge tonight... Futures will be decided. Two hours before midnight, they will come for me. I cannot leave. I must not leave...

He shakes his head as if to clear his thoughts.

"It has been so long... This... is so much harder than I intended. Vaceran, forgive an old foolish dragon."

Cabin Map:
► Show Spoiler
--------------------------------------------

Lizard Group

The group pull the canoe up onto the muddy beach and follow Merric up the little grassy slope to get a better view of their surroundings. To the north-west (across the water), you hear the sound of shuffling grasses, and a loud grunt. A couple of birds flutter out of the trees nearby before settling back down again nearby.

Map:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Gwen takes off the disguise. "Why can't you leave? We can bring you to the sanctuary. Please, at least tell us what you know so we can prevent a disaster."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Varsk is briefly distracted by the large gem but shakes his head and goes over to check out the shed and it's contents while trying to get a feel for the best spots to put the ranged assets.

Perception: Looking in the shed: 2D20.HIGH(1)+4 = [13, 2]+4 = 17

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Druid Group
"Forgive me... It is so hard to remember. So much is confused. So much will come or has never been, but I see it all the same.. I used to be able to tell the difference so easily, but I don't... it is so hard now. I was... I am... I think... a dragon. Not this. I was - I am Valemgaldro."

This moment of lucidity is clearly taking a toll. The old man's hands are shaking and his face is contorted with the effort. He looks so, so old.

Varsk checks out the shed. It's damp and full of bugs, but there it looks like there's a small workbench here, some gardening supplies, some tools (an axe, saw, hammer & nails and the like), and a stack of dry firewood. The lower half of the walls are made of stone, and the upper half of wooden boards, and the roof seems to be leaking.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Mehr closes his hand around the gem, nodding slightly, "Elder, would you please enter the building when the time comes? Rest now, and we shall handle this."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:00 am

Varsk will grab the tools and the dry firewood and take it back to the hut before returning and looking for a week spot that would bring the place down.

Investigation: Weak points: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [14, 8]+3 = 17

He will come back to the group and explain a bit more of what he knows about kobold.

"Kobold are sneaky bastards and good at traps. If we make any traps outside we got to figure they're gonna see them and avoid them or turn them against us."

Varsk will go into the cellar and hammer nails through the floor inside the door and under the window(not impeding the door opening) before taking the saw to weaken a Varsk sized spot on the north wall.

((Rolls?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:29 am

"Maybe we should set some traps inside then? Maybe after the barricades so if they do get through they'd step on them? I don't think having a couple of traps outside would tip them off, they may think we were trapping animals. Hmm. Maybe coat the floors with a slippery substance and lay various nails around so they slide into them?"

What type of slippery substances are there?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:03 am

((what do you have? Outside, there's mud, and you might find lantern oil in the house.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:07 am

"While I like your thinkin', here less is more. We aren't gonna have a lot of room and if we fill it with traps it's gonna limit us more than them due to the size difference. Grease is good but everythin' we got that slides also burns and I don't want to get cooked. The nails in the floor will probably do a good job slowing them and we can put some furniture up to force them into more."

He looks out into the swamp before continuing,

"Anything non-lethal like a snare will just get cut by whoever is with one that got caught. Anything lethal that we put in is gonna put them on their guard before they get to the hut."

He shrugs,

"What the hell, throw up a few snares around the hut. It'll let us know where they are. Clean up your tracks after.

Biggest problem is where to the geezer."

Varsk nails the trapdoor shut. The clearance there favors the kobold too much to have as a reasonable escape route.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:38 am

"That looks like more of something up there. Back in the canoe and head over?"

((The exposed shore north north west of our position.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 am

"Maybe set up some deadly traps in the shed then? At least we could get a few that way. If we close off the crawl space, maybe we can put him down there. Unfortunally if we do that then it will be difficult to get him out if this goes bad. We should put him in a room where it's heavily guarded and has one emergency escape path, preferably one we can make into a non assessable afterwards. If all else fails, carry him far away from here.

Right before time, we should put mud along the floor so they will slip. If we do it too far in advance it will dry up. Mehriv, I want you to be with the elder. If a few kobolds get in, put them to sleep. We can also put peep holes so that you can blast kobolds out of the room as well. Varsk, you have my crossbow if you wish to go into ranged as well, but I suggest staying near Mehriv just incase shit goes down. If you can, stay within 30 feet of me where I can see you at the initial part of the phase."
Gwen looks at Varsk and thinks to him. <I will give you the signal.>
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 am

"We come to parlay with the tribe," Kal calls in Draconic. He holds up the amulet. "We stand against this corruption."
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 am

Merric waves friendly at the moving grass and nods at Korriks question.

He then starts chirping

"Hi birds! How many are hiding in the grass over there?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:10 am

"Mehr and I inside, agreed. Probably with the old guy and Vaceran at this point. Trapping the shed somehow sounds good. I ain't got no ideas though.

You need to be up some place with a clearline of sight to fire on them once things get rollin'. More important than that creepy mind talk shit you just pulled."
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 am

"Hmm. We can put caltrops in there. Maybe a dummy that looks like the old guy sleeping and pour oil around it, along with Caltrops. Then light it ablaze. Problem is that I don't have any reliable way of creating fire. Maybe we can make some sort of trap that uses flint and steel so we can burn them in there?

I will be up in the trees, I will have plenty line of sight. But I think it might be too far away to give that signal. Which is not the end, I think I can make do by making other sounds like a bird of some sort."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:54 am

((do you have caltrops? I know Varsk it going to put nails around the doors and windows))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:59 am

(Sorry nails=caltrops, at least the way we are using them)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:02 am

((I remember a time when my college landlord put 'caltrops' through our kitchen wall, living room wall and my floor... Definitely a better story using caltrop :D))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 am

(( :lol: ah student living!

By the way, the easier way to do what youre planning is going to be to hammer a bunch of nails through some spare boards and nail those to the floor where you want. Guessing where to try and hammer nails through the floor is going to require both massive nails and a risk of failure that you don't actually need to worry about. ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 am

(I was thinking of leaving the nails loose, but that would work too if we got the time. Also if he has a grindstone we might be able to use that to set up a spark.)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:57 am

((loose nails wouldn't do much - you'd need to secure them upright in some way to be effective. Broken glass or pottery or something could just be scattered, but nails don't really hurt when they're lying flat. If only you had a box of Lego :lol: ))
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:57 am

((Varsk does as recommended by the DM, spike strips galor. Maybe mail them to the floors as well so they don't (painfully) walk off!

Loose nails are a hazard but the chances of stepping on one and having it penetrate aren't nearly as good. Ninja'd!

They do still hurt - from personal experience- but no more than sharpish gravel.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:59 am

Or Legos :D

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:41 am

(Nails aren't caltrops, although you can make caltrops by welding four nails together. Caltrops are loose road spikes, usually made in a tetrahedral configuration so that no matter how they land there will always be at least one spike pointing up.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:43 am

(( Like a dropped d4 :D ))