30th October 2018: Oof!

Discuss the comic here!
Kingsdragon
Remains Silent

30th October 2018: Oof!

Post by Kingsdragon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:40 pm

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-25-2018

How on earth is that thing still moving at speed?

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: 30th October 2018: Oof!

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:25 pm

Here's hoping that we get some light shed on why this thing is going after Idle so enthusiastically in the upcoming next pages.

Also, I think this is the first time I noticed she has a pink shoe and a brown boot. :D
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:29 am

Well, it is obvious, Idle seems to be the bigger threat, so it needs to be eliminated first.

On top of that, this Klik may still want to avoid other Kliks for whatever reason.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:15 am

I wonder: does one of Idle's curses count as shapechanging magic? Will the Klik grow stronger from devouring that?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:15 am

I cry foul! Someone draw up a chart where everyone is and where they are supposed to have moved, right now! Because I can't link this one together.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:12 am

► Show Spoiler
Beginning. Dwarf with undamaged trees in background. Monster with charred corpse in mouth.
Dwarf moves forward, monster disappear in left hand lower corner.
Resurrection.
Turn around and talk.
Monster reappear from right.
End. Charred corpse is now elf again, but a bit away from crater. Gnawed trees behind dwarf.

Bigfoot moves through or around the monster to drag Ex-Elf away. She ressurrects with her back to him, turns around to talk. Then she turns around again when monster appear. There is now gnawed trees behind them. They are clearly a bit away from the blastpoint.

Did Bigfoot drag her away between panels? And moved to the other side of the creature between panels? Why would he go to the other side of the monster? Or did the gnawed trees just appear?

Or are we supposed to see this as a unrelated blown to bits Buzz emerging from a completely unrelated crater? I got to agree, that would been great!

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:28 am

Well, looks like I was wrong: it is the same klik. I'm beginning to wonder if BuildsLegos is right and that this klik isn't warped at all and is just protecting its area. It doesn't care about Forgath because he's made out of kilk material.

On the other hand, looking back, it didn't seem very interested in Bowst either. The klik was facing Idle from the start, and Bowst just got in the way. Maybe it just really likes the taste of rabbit.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:36 am

Generic wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:12 am
► Show Spoiler
Beginning. Dwarf with undamaged trees in background. Monster with charred corpse in mouth.
Dwarf moves forward, monster disappear in left hand lower corner.
Resurrection.
Turn around and talk.
Monster reappear from right.
End. Charred corpse is now elf again, but a bit away from crater. Gnawed trees behind dwarf.

Bigfoot moves through or around the monster to drag Ex-Elf away. She ressurrects with her back to him, turns around to talk. Then she turns around again when monster appear. There is now gnawed trees behind them. They are clearly a bit away from the blastpoint.

Did Bigfoot drag her away between panels? And moved to the other side of the creature between panels? Why would he go to the other side of the monster? Or did the gnawed trees just appear?

Or are we supposed to see this as a unrelated blown to bits Buzz emerging from a completely unrelated crater? I got to agree, that would been great!
In that first panel where we see Forgath, he's behind the monster, Buzz. He moves in front of it to where Idle resurrects, but is facing away from Buzz.

First panel of the next page, they're looking over their shoulders at Buzz. Next panel, they stand up so they are facing Buzz, but still in the same spot. This means that whatever trees are now behind Forgath are in front of Buzz. So when they run away from Buzz, they are running through those trees and not the ones he was in front of originally.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Post by LarsenSan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:25 am

Calling it now: stone is its negative.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:19 am

My call: it's just pissed at the friggin' rabbit-eared thing that exploded in its mouth. Either that, or it just likes white bark and meat the most.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:51 am

LarsenSan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:25 am Calling it now: stone is its negative.
I'll second this. :)
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Formaltide
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Formaltide » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:29 am

Wolfie wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:51 am
LarsenSan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:25 am Calling it now: stone is its negative.
I'll second this. :)
I third this. Great reason to be avoiding Forgath on purpose.Too bad they don't have Magic Stone.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Wolfie wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:36 am In that first panel where we see Forgath, he's behind the monster, Buzz. He moves in front of it to where Idle resurrects, but is facing away from Buzz.

First panel of the next page, they're looking over their shoulders at Buzz. Next panel, they stand up so they are facing Buzz, but still in the same spot. This means that whatever trees are now behind Forgath are in front of Buzz. So when they run away from Buzz, they are running through those trees and not the ones he was in front of originally.
Yes. I understand what must have happened. I am just frustrated with it happening between panels without being clear.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:10 pm

I explained this to you in the thread for the previous page.
Shardstorm wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:32 pm No, the perspective works. Idle is in front of it. shown in panel 5. We miss Forgath walking around it between panel 6 and 7, but after that he's standing in front of Idle, with the Warped Klik behind them. Then they hear the noise and Idle is looking over her shoulder at the Klik.
It works fine. I often struggle to follow Thunt's fight scene's on first read, but this worked fine, both intuitively and after thinking it through.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:55 pm

Shardstorm wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:10 pm I explained this to you in the thread for the previous page.
Shardstorm wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:32 pm No, the perspective works. Idle is in front of it. shown in panel 5. We miss Forgath walking around it between panel 6 and 7, but after that he's standing in front of Idle, with the Warped Klik behind them. Then they hear the noise and Idle is looking over her shoulder at the Klik.
It works fine. I often struggle to follow Thunt's fight scene's on first read, but this worked fine, both intuitively and after thinking it through.
We also miss him carrying her away a bit. We also miss it switching sides to where he is... Feck it. I understand what you are saying. You now have a mental picture of what must have happened. You are able to construct a series of events that are not shown but comes to this in the end. Sure. I can to. That is not it. I am frustrated by how confusing the narration is.
Does it matter where people are?
Yeah. It kinda does. In this case it does. It's a chase. Why is it following her and not him? This is now a spatial story. Example: Minmax and Fumbles walks into a room. We see the top of fumbles head in the lower left corner, saying something about "this is a nice room". Then we get speech bubbles from the other side "a really nice room", we understand that Fumbles is messing around in the room. We know Fumbles. We understand that exact location is not important. This would not be a spatial story.

Is this monster messing around in a way we don't need to see in order to understand the gist of it? Did it bring it's crater along?

And the really frustrating part is this:
► Show Spoiler
It's so easy to make better. Now we got flow. Our eye is moving from the left to the right. Where is he going? I know. He is going to the right. The monster is in the lower right corner... NO! It has stood up again or something! Splash-screen of roaring monster standing up again. Oh shit!

The monster is even right under the giant pillar of light from the frame above with this treatment. We know where it is. Our eyes are moving in one direction, following the frames.

Not to the left, then to the right, and the monster is in the left and then to the right. And a bit away.

The art itself is telling us that the location of this object is important. It got black lines going to it. The character is looking towards it. It's got black smoke coming out of it, surrounding the distressed character in the frame. Lower left. Remember this direction. This is importan- NOPE! It's right! And far away! Now there is a chase scene and you can't rely on location anymore! This builds tension instead of disolves it, right? Right?

This is the kind of thing I would expect and be ok with from Psymax. Is the art itself playing tricks with us? Possibly! I don't know, all bets are off.

Giant roaring ball of teeth (that now looks even more as the flea demon)? Nah. This flipping around serves no purpose other than to confuse and frustrate. What we need to know:
It's stabby and deadly. It's strong. It's tough as nails and pissed off. Rabbit has used her daily death and it's comin' for her!
What we don't need: You can't trust location or perspective in this chase scene. Anything might appear from anywhere! People will carry other people between frames. And your eyes and attention should go back and forth instead of giving the impression of a speedful powerful movement.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 am

TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:19 am My call: it's just pissed at the friggin' rabbit-eared thing that exploded in its mouth. Either that, or it just likes white bark and meat the most.
I'm going this route. We have seen Junior (or any Kliks really) show emotion. If someone damn near killed me with a giant explosion, you damn right I'd be a be mad at that individual and want to probably make sure she didn't 'splode me again.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:00 pm

What is the orange stuff inside the klik? It looks distinctly like a liquid in the fifth panel, so is that supposed to be honey? In that case, those insects were probably neither wasps nor termites, but bees.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:11 pm

From what I understand, all hive insects make their own version of honey and bees are just famous for it because theirs has more valuable chemistry. But yeah, bee+termite hybrids are just as valid for my theory which, at this point, is rapidly becoming pointless.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:54 pm

Bees are the only hive insects that create honey. The reason is, honey is used to keep the bees alive during winter. In winter, bees keep their nests warm by generating heat through rapid wing movements. For that, they need energy which honey provides. That's what they collect it for.
In other species, like wasps or bumblebees, the workers die off during winter and only the queens survive in a state of hibernation. Since they have no use for honey, they don't create any.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Ok, thanks.

As for the speed of it in this state, I think if it was as fast as before, there'd be no hope. It has slowed down enough to barely keep pace with Idle.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:46 am

BuildsLegos wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:48 pm Ok, thanks.

As for the speed of it in this state, I think if it was as fast as before, there'd be no hope. It has slowed down enough to barely keep pace with Idle.
Pff. She is part rabbit. She'll be fine.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:43 am

I think that's just the big floppy ears, which wouldn't help much in speed.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:06 am

BuildsLegos wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:11 pm From what I understand, all hive insects make their own version of honey and bees are just famous for it because theirs has more valuable chemistry. But yeah, bee+termite hybrids are just as valid for my theory which, at this point, is rapidly becoming pointless.
:lol: :lol: Wasps becoming pointless.

Sorry, it struck me as funny. :D

TheDarkTyger
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by TheDarkTyger » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:47 pm

No, seriously. Don't you dare perma kill her. >:(

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:19 am

GathersIngredients wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:25 pm Here's hoping that we get some light shed on why this thing is going after Idle so enthusiastically in the upcoming next pages.

Also, I think this is the first time I noticed she has a pink shoe and a brown boot. :D
I'd guess she's carrying something on her that's its negative, and it wants to eliminate her before she figures out which one?