The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:05 pm

Lizard Group

"You will help him until he is recovered. It is imperative that he survives. Come. This way."

The pair lead Kal through to an area where dried grasses have been piled up on the floor, leaving the others to follow or not, as they see fit. As Kal gets closer, he can see a particularly massive lizardfolk has been bundled on top of large nest of grasses and herbs. Despite that, there is a strong smell of blood and a sweet smell of rot as he approaches, and it is clear that the enormous creature has been badly hurt, and appears to be unconscious. Smaller-sized attendants are bringing round, hot rocks to the nest to keep the man warm. A large leg wound has been bound in a simple poultice, and seems to be oozing nastily. Various runes are painted across the man's body, in the symbols for "life" and "strength" as well as others Kal doesn't recognise. Jewelery made from large animal claws and teeth are worn on his arms and around his neck. Other, older scars mark his hide, and suggest that this man has lived a violent life so far.

Druid Group
Varsk readies his crossbow and aims at the door.

Gwen is up.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:48 pm

Gwen is going to slash at the lizardfolk again. Dagger: 1D20+5 = [12]+5 = 17
1D4+3 = [3]+3 = 6

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:06 am

(IIRC, I can cast 2 spells per day and I have Bless, Cure Wounds, and Purify Food and Drink prepared. Does that seem right? I currently have 3/10 in my lay hands pool, and curing poison or disease takes 5.)

"These wounds are severe. What can you tell me? What happened to him, and what have you done to treat him? I'll see what I can do for him, but I fear he needs a powerful cleric. I am a paladin. Pelor grants me favor because I fight in his name, but my magic is limited. My companions and I cannot stay long, either. We are on an important mission and came here seeking your aid."

Kal examines the wounded lizard and the symbols on him. Slowly and thoroughly.
► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:44 am

((Korrik would help, to confer advantage on Kal's rolls, if he's able. Not proficient in an of them, but has +2 to wisdom checks.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:10 am

((Helping is fine, and you have time. This guy is looking rough, but is definitely stable)).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Druid Group
((Apologies, I just realised I muddled Gwen and Syli. Gwen's turn is coming after the bad guys go - let me know if you want to keep your action burns?))

Syli takes another shot at the lizardfolk running from the shed, but her arrow skims past him as he runs south away from the flames.

Shortbow: 1D20+5 = [4]+5 = 9

At the shed, the snared (and hexed) lizardfolk growls as it tears at the rope around its foot. It's still stuck, but it looks like it'll be free very soon. The lizardfolk fighting Gwen bellows at her again, striking viciously at her with claws and teeth:

Bite; Claws: 1D20+4 = [1]+4 = 5
1D20+4 = [14]+4 = 18

Claw damage: 1D6+2 = [3]+2 = 5

Once again the bite misses, but the claws rake into her flesh, doing 5 damage.

To the south, the lizardfolk running from the shed cries in surprise as Syli's arrow whooshes past it, and it hurls itself in a sprint towards the house and the others who are trying to break down the door...

Inside:
► Show Spoiler
Cabin in the Woods (night map)
► Show Spoiler
Inside the Cabin:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:05 pm

(Yea Gwen will keep that action)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:21 pm

If the lizardmen brought the bag of food we all ignored, Korrik will investigate what it holds after helping Kal.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:35 am

I'll take my readied action;
Mehr Fire Bolt: 1D20+3+2 = [9]+3+2 = 14
1D10 = [6] = 6

And now we get our turns before group 3 acts. And so, I will ready a Fire Bolt for the first lizard to present a clear target.
Mehr Fire Bolt: 1D20+3+2 = [4]+3+2 = 9
1D10 = [2] = 2

((That's right, isn't it? Readied action uses the action from last round, so if I trigger it now when my turn rolls around again I can use it fully, but if I don't use the readied action I basically lose my turn?))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 am

Varsk will turn and put a bolt into the lizardfolk's face.

Readied crossbow attack: 2D20.HIGH(1)+5 = [19, 2]+5 = 24

Readied action crossbow damage, DC16 con or poison damage: 1D8+3 = [6]+3 = 9
1D4 = [4] = 4

((If I can still use the rolls from way back in October :), let me know if I need to re-roll))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:35 am

(not that it really matters, but can you remind me why you have advantage? You still have the Druid blessing for skill checks, but it's not for attack and damage)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:02 am

((Totally don't, we discussed it back in October and determined I had misunderstood the extent of the blessing.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 am

((cool! No problem!))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:16 am

((Debated doctoring the roll result to remove the advantage to avoid confusion but decided against it.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:15 am

((that's fine :)

dlover, yes, that's right. You can take this held action now and ready another when your turn comes back (before gp 3).

I'll take a quick arcana check from Mehriv please.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Didn't we get a long rest?

Either way, Merric will just look around trying to see if this resembles a normal town community or palace of sorts
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:44 pm

((no, but it was enough for a short rest - you had a couple of hours to relax in the cenote))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:25 pm

(Not sure if we've still got the advantage blessing or if setting up at the shack counted as a rest, so I've applied Advantage just in case)... Aaand, doesn't matter, first roll's higher.

Mehr Arcana Advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [18, 15]+2 = 20
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:20 am

Druid Group

Your last battle post with maps is here if you need a refresher:
https://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 50#p270891

To the north, Gwen slashes her blade at the lizardfold in front of her. It bellows at her and takes a stumbling step forwards before the extent of its injuries finally overwhelm it and it collapses to the ground at her feet (want to take your movement? You're up near the snare trap to the north).

Inside the hut:
► Show Spoiler
Mehriv is up.

--------------------------------------------

Turn Order

Varsk
Syli
Lizardfolk Group 1 [shed]
Valemgadro
Lizardfolk Group 2 [east]
Vaceran
Gwen (Want to move?)
Mehriv <------
Lizardfolk Group 3 [east]

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:35 am

Gwen will run twoards the house after felling the lizardman.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 am

Lizard Group
WearsHats wrote: (IIRC, I can cast 2 spells per day and I have Bless, Cure Wounds, and Purify Food and Drink prepared. Does that seem right? I currently have 3/10 in my lay hands pool, and curing poison or disease takes 5.)
((Yes, I think that looks right))
WearsHats wrote: "These wounds are severe. What can you tell me? What happened to him, and what have you done to treat him? I'll see what I can do for him, but I fear he needs a powerful cleric. I am a paladin. Pelor grants me favor because I fight in his name, but my magic is limited. My companions and I cannot stay long, either. We are on an important mission and came here seeking your aid."
"Shadowlings from the feywild and traitorous cowards* come at night to attack our hunting camps. They hide in the shadows to attack us and flee. They refuse to fight like warriors because they know they cannot withstand our strength so they poison and murder and dishonour themselves. During the night of the lone moon** K’tharis led a hunt to find them, but he was the only one to return."

"We have read the stars and he must live. If he does not, it will be the end of our clan."

*The word is spat out with particular venom, giving Kal the impression that to be called a coward is a terrible insult amongst this tribe.
**Kal would recognise this as a colloquial description of the couple of days during the year when one moon is full in the sky and the other is new. It happens about once every 7 months, and as with many lunar events, it's a night associated with superstitions and folk tales, often relating to the fey. The last one would have been around a week ago.
WearsHats wrote:Kal examines the wounded lizard and the symbols on him. Slowly and thoroughly.

Korrik moves in to help the paladin examine the massive lizardfolk. His hand twinges painfully every once in a while when he catches the darkened part of his thumb awkwardly, but otherwise, he is able to make himself quite useful.

Rolls:
Religion: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9 / Religion: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22
Medicine: 1D20+3 = [10]+3 = 13 / Medicine: 1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16
Investigation: 1D20+3 = [20]+1 = 21 / Investigation: 1D20+3 = [4]+3 = 7
Survival: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14 / Survival: 1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16

Kal takes his time to examine the unconscious creature. His knowledge of lizardfolk physiology isn't great, but his familiarity with their people at least gives him enough of a reference to know where and how he might be able to help. The symbols painted onto the body don't look to have any special powers, and mostly appear to be written in a simple form of draconic. The words "health", "life" "strength" are repeated across his body, particularly over the chest and head, and around the injury.

Peeling back the bandages, Kal and Korrik both recoil at the smell. The wound is badly infected and it looks like rot might have begun to set in. He suspects whatever caused the injury was likely a jagged blade of some kind, and probably poisoned in some way to encourage the rot, but he would need to examine the blade (or a similar one) to be sure. Knowing the poison might at least give him some better idea of specific ways to help, but it is at least clear that the creature needs better care than his tribe can provide him. He recognises some of the herbs in the bandages for their general healing and antiseptic properties, but none are particularly strong or capable of dealing with the severity of the injury K’tharis is afflicted with. Without magical intervention or a miracle, K’tharis will almost certainly die, although he clearly has a solid constitution to have survived even this long. Amputating the limb might save his life, but Kal has never heard of lizardfolk being able to regrow their limbs, any more than he could. Kal isn't a cleric, and this might well be beyond his skills, but he's probably the only help this warrior is going to get any time soon.

Artho looks pale at the sight of the wound.
"Gods... He's already as good as dead. Killing him swiftly would be a mercy."
Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:23 am

Varsk growls and says,

"Keep your shit together elf."

((The lizardfolk look at all poisoned to Varsk? Also if Varsk moves forward to engage at the door would it block the shots from the others inside?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:29 am

((You saw the poisoned bolt hit, but otherwise have no idea.

Creatures give all other creatures half cover, so yes, if you put Varsk between a ranged ally and their target, the target would effectively get +2AC. Varsk would also be at risk of getting hit if the ranged attack roll exceeded the target's base AC, but didn't exceed the total needed to break the cover.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:00 pm

((HA, thought Varsk was yelling at Artho... I was confused.))

"You can do something, right Kal? Anything you need, just tell me.", Korrik says, trying to breath out of the side of his mouth farthest from the rotting wound.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:16 am

Mehr curses slightly at the realisation that his cantrip could start a fire, crouching down behind the bedframe for what cover it will provide. With the lizards taking so much cover in the windowframe, the dragonborn peeks out just enough to see his target as he conjures a set of Magic Missiles to strike down the figure at the window.

MM damage: 3d4+3 = [3, 2, 1] = 9

((I somehow imagine 1/2 cover from Varsk would mean nothing when they have 3/4 cover from the window.))
My game:

My characters: