Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:28 pm

I'm trying to figure out who even wears boots in our group... I guess the bandit guy was medium size, which covers Jaq and Ves at least. Is Lurn large? Does Kroshak even wears shoes? There are so many questions! :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:40 pm

In my art, Kroshav doesn't wear shoes, so will continue to not wear shoes unless the environment requires shoe wearing, or we find boots that don't make sense for anyone else?

Unless Rodgeir has reasons for magic boots to be "stuck" at the bandit's size, they default is that they should be able to fit anyone in the party.

"In most cases, a magic item that's meant to be worn can fit a creature regardless of size or build. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they magically adjust themselves to the wearer. Rare exceptions exist. If the story suggests a good reason for an item to fit only creatures of a certain size or shape, you can rule that it doesn't adjust."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:20 am

Ah ok, thanks! Seems a pretty useful way to tell if clothing is magical...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:53 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:40 pm or we find boots that don't make sense for anyone else?
Foot gloves... Or not. Just long socks, really.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 am

Oh ya, most magical items adjust to the size of their bearer, though there are some exceptions. These you know are magical from Joe's spell so you would guess they would resize.

It is always a good idea to try putting something on to see if it could be magical. Nothing bad can come from that. Nothing at all.

Did you put the boots on or just investigate them?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:08 am

Nothing bad at all. And certainly nothing bad could come of putting on random cloaks you find in dungeons, either. There's definitely no such thing as a Cloaker.

(I'm not actually paranoid, no. The boots are probably fine.)
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 am

Yeah, why not. Ves will try on the boots.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:05 pm

I will address it IC, putting them on as she gets up?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Sure, sounds good to me :)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:04 am

Hrm... Considering swapping out Detect Poison And Disease for Inflict Wounds. That would give me both a ranged and melee option for healing and spell damage... Alternatively, maybe Bane? Since we had traces of three owlbears (By the cries), I could apply Bane to all three of them and have them with -1d4 on all their attacks.
Forgot Bane is a domain spell for Grave clerics... So yeah, I guess the question is "Do we want the cleric to have the option of spending a spell slot on damage in melee, or should he just be healing?"
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 am

Detect poison and disease is quite circumstantial in terms of its usefulness, so it depends if you want to gamble. I also suspect there are other ways to DP&P with nature, medicine or survival checks for instance so if we suddenly need to check something out, we should still be ok.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 am

I really only had it on there because it's a ritual. Just filled up on all the rituals I could feasibly use. :p
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:39 pm

I was very close to having Kroshav taste the leaves...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:26 pm

Lol! Hopefully all the poison chat at least made him think twice haha!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Eh, as long as it didn't kill or incapacitate him within 6 seconds, he'd be fine.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Yeah, I find that kind of thing weird with D&D. Like, poisons should be deadly, but it doesn't really fit withing the poison mechanics too well.

It would be interesting if there were truly deadly poisons out there tho... Like, straight to 0hp, can't stabilise type poisons. They'd need to be seriously telegraphed in by a DM, but they could be interesting.

Hmmmm >:D

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:04 pm

There are some that certainly could be pretty lethal, depending on the HP of the victim.
WotC wrote:Purple Worm Poison (Injury): This poison must be harvested from a dead or Incapacitated Purple Worm. A creature subjected to this poison must make a DC 19 Constitution saving throw, taking 42 (12d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
For anyone with 21 or less HP, a failure on the CON save is immediate death, and a save is still 0 HP and dying. However, that's about as high as poisons go in terms of strength, at least as far as official books go.

Of course, it also gets rather cost prohibitive for your standard assassin.
WotC wrote:Purple Worm poison Injury 2,000 gp
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:52 pm

Flying snek venom has no save at all and you can constantly hurt someone with it! And you can train them according to the description.

...Also aparently there are real life flying sneks. More like gliding sneks but still facinating!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:29 am

(And they're not even Australian, so you can't call bull on their existence!)

Anyway, the flying snake venom doesn't really need a save, does it? It's basically just 1d4 extra damage on hit? Or am I misremembering that?
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:02 am

Still pretty sure platypuses are bogus though.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:25 am

Yeah, I sent a bunch at you guys in the WA so it's got to be pretty weak whatever it is. 1d4 extra poison damage sounds about right; 1d6 maybe at a push.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:42 am

Platypus are bogus, but because they're immune to the Science Gun they get to keep existing anyway.

(I cannot for the life of me find that comic. I think I know what it's from, either Buttersafe or Mr Lovenstein, but actually finding it would be so time consuming.)
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:04 am

Bit swamped today, course start and switching jobs...while seemingly keeping all my responsibilities from my other job.

Should be able to get my act together this evening.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:47 am

No worries and no rush :) good luck with all the new things!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:53 pm

What's the new gig? New role at the same place, or new place entirely?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler