The keystone Chronicles

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

The keystone Chronicles

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:06 pm

The wizened old man slowly stepped up to the raised stage and platform, assisted by a young elf. While the elven girl was fair of skin and dressed in priestly robes, her deceptive age could as well put him on the age of the elder, dressed in similar garments but with the addition of ornate pieces of jewelry, took the last couple steps up himself. He had long gone bald, but still held his long white beard, and a set of brows so thick from a distance one would assume no eyes to be underneath them. In front of him easily hundreds of people stood gathered, from the common man, to the regal elves, from the small gnomes to the tall half-orcs, and everything in between. Behind the pedestal, a good distance away in the large square, stood an object that towered over the stage even from this distance. It was shaped vaguely like a teardrop, shimmering a crystal blue as if carved from glass. Briefly the old man rasped his throat, and then suddenly began to speak in a loud, clear voice, that echoed over the crowd below.

"Welcome, one and all! Be you loyal inhabitant of the city, or visitor from lands close and far away, all are embraced with open arms on this day. For it is the great festival! And we are here to both mourn, and celebrate, events only remembered in stories and song." the man spoke, and gestured to beyond him with open palm as he continued. "Behold- The keystone. A gift of the late goddess Fing. It was in the early days, when the world was young, that she descended upon our world in person, to answer a call of aid. Tormented by an evil spirit we were then, an evil god having deemed to claim the world for himself- Whose name was forgotten in both book and song to no longer honor it's name. A fierce battle ensued between them, and we would not be telling this story today if it were not Fing who came out victorious... At the most grave cost, for her opponent had struck deep, and created a wound filled with malice beyond mortal poison, that spread. It was said that as she too fell, a tear shed from her eye, and fell down upon the world. Our keystone."

The man was silent for a moment. Many listened with enraptured ears, evidently the first time they've heard the tale. Others listened with only a modicum of interest, no stranger to the tale, but keeping silent as a sign of respect.

"I'd ask from all of you today, to pause for a moment, and hold grief for this loss. For a lady as fair as her, to come to aid, would have been a blessing upon this world. But then, rejoice, for see her gift she left, as even in death she wished for her chosen ones to prosper. Many of you have already seen it's power first hand, used it, to come and join us here today. For Fing was the lady of space, while her brother, Chron, resides even now over time." he spoke that bit with a fair bit of pride, displaying his holy symbol. "For if one gazes deep within the stone, one can see distant lands and shores, and travel to them with ease, rather than the impossible journeys they would have been. And with such a boon, no other realm shall be as connected as we have been, or as prosperous."

"So now, rejoice! Let us celebrate! Hereby, I initiate the keystone festival- 7 days of merry-making, beginning... Now!"

Welcome to the Keystone Chronicles! This will be assuming we can actually arrange it between timezones a D&D campaign hosted on the weekends, starting in the city of Keystone and it's surrounding realm. Keystone is often considered the "capital of the world', for it's legendary artifact after the same name. A large crystalline structure that, by all accounts, is the last artifact of a now dead god that allows travel between distant parts of the realm with ease. Be it through this or other means, your character would be here to partake in the festival, a week-long celebration that holds many events, parties, ceremonies and everything in between. Just hope you may get to see the final celebration at the 7th night...

There are still a couple things to set in stone in full, most importantly starting level which I'm considering giving a little bump up to level 3, and there's no doubt lots of questions (Which you're free to ask), but the most important things are set in stone.

This will be:
-A D&D session run on the weekend on whatever time ends up working out
-Each session will try and be run with 3-5 players, which will ideally are constant, can be switched out with little issue given a special little thing.
-Start in the aforementioned setting (and with whatever background your characters would bring in addition)
-(Most likely) start at level 3, with some added equipment and resources to compensate

There is one thing I should add, but I do want to keep as a little secret for those who want to be truly surprised. It is linked to why it would be "no issue" if players switch out from time to time, so if you think it relevant to know, it is here, spoilered.
► Show Spoiler
So this is an interest poll, and a check to see who could play when. I've created a poll here for next week which is... Probably more generous than even I myself can afford, (probably too soon too) but it'll do to see what the possibilities are. And I'd be glad to hear of what those interested in playing might be thinking of playing as. :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The keystone Chronicles

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:47 am

I've added my times :) I'll need to see what the finalised plan looks like for the day and that, but a few hours on one of those days is feasible (I can't do all three days in a row!).

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:21 am

Oh yeah, no worries, I'm not planning to play all three days, just SOMEWHERE in the weekend. So far it's looking like late fridays will be the option to be after all. Those who selected those timeslots, is that just for this week, or would you be available every week around the same time..?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:42 am

Actually, it would be one week only for me. I'm usually out on Fridays. Sat/sun is a bit more flexible, but honestly, once a month is about as much as I could commit to a dnd game.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:18 am

I'm usually free most weekends, but I definitely won't be for the first two weeks of March. And it will vary a fair bit after that. I reckon there's a 60-70% chance I'm free each weekend?

Also, what's the plan for stats? Point buy/standard array, or rolled?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 am

I'm gonna say roll 5d6 and keep the three highest stats, or standard array should you prefer.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:31 am

5d6 = [6, 4, 4, 2, 2] = [6, 4, 4] = 14
5d6 = [4, 2, 2, 1, 1] = [4, 2, 2] = 8
5d6 = [5, 5, 5, 4, 4] = [5, 5, 5] = 15
5d6 = [5, 4, 4, 3, 1] = [5, 4, 4] = 13
5d6 = [5, 5, 3, 3, 1] = [5, 5, 3] = 13
5d6 = [6, 6, 5, 3, 1] = [6, 6, 5] = 17

Like this? I'm not sure if your roller has drop lowest or multiple roll functions, but I couldn't figure it out so I just did it manually.

Also, I noticed that with CoyoteCode down, everyone in the games forum is now using your roller...

Did you secretly sabotage CoyoteCode? :paranoia:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:49 am

M0rt, did you mean 4d6 and keep the highest, or were you planning on everyone being super awesome?

The standard array gives an average of 12 points per stat, 4d6 drop 1 = 12.24; 5d6 drop 2 = 13.43

Just something to consider if you're going for the standard array as your back-up for the 5d6 format. Standard array + 1 across the board would be a bit more even :)

-----------------------------------------------------------

5d6 = [6, 6, 5, 5, 4] -> 17
5d6 = [6, 6, 4, 3, 1] -> 16
5d6 = [6, 6, 5, 5, 3] -> 17
5d6 = [6, 5, 4, 3, 1] -> 15
5d6 = [4, 4, 3, 3, 2] -> 11
5d6 = [5, 4, 3, 1, 1] -> 12

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:00 am

I mean... That IS an excessively lucky amount of rolls you got there, but I went with 5d6 to give some bad luck insurance, and the standard array should be a backup should that somehow not be enough. Why, do you guys prefer to roll 4d6 and take whatever tidings it brings instead..? :P

Generally I don't mind if the average player is a bit "better than usual", and you're right the standard array+1 would probably be a bit better.

As for sabotaging coyotecode, I can neither confirm nor deny that. (Also there is a "keep" function on the dice roller if you enter k, so 5d6k3)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 am

When it comes to stats I don't mind at all :)

Do you have any restrictions on PC types, races etc.? I appreciate you've not selected a time/date slot yet by the way, I just enjoy building PCs anyway whether I get to use them or not :lol:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:23 am

It's probably gonna be late friday looks like, so atm it's not looking like you'd be in it... But hey, like I said, who knows? The way this is gonna be set up so it's possible PC's come and go, so maybe if times do match in a future session you can join in then..?

As for races/classes, anything in RAW and any official side book is alright (Though I might need some online resources on them as I don't own all of them.) and I might approve of other stuff if I give it a look and don't see any issues (races more likely than classes, because for the latter it's hard to tell if it's OP or not)

And if we're going to be doing this on roll20, should probably end up making sheets on there..? I should be looking into that...

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:26 am

I'm happy with 5d6 too (even if I didn't roll nearly as amazingly as Thinks :roll: :lol: )
thinkslogically wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 am When it comes to stats I don't mind at all :)

Do you have any restrictions on PC types, races etc.? I appreciate you've not selected a time/date slot yet by the way, I just enjoy building PCs anyway whether I get to use them or not :lol:
I have, no joke, almost two dozen character concepts half-built. Most of them aren't anything other than a brief attempt at something which could maybe be fun (e.g. Gnome Barbarian, Dragonborn Grapple Rogue, etc) and a few are built around UA classes (e.g. Tranquility Monk, Stone Sorcerer) but still. Half the fun is just making crazy ideas, even if I'm never going to get to use most of them :lol:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:44 am

Sheets on Roll20 are pretty easy to setup and drop information into.

I would say that I can do one of those days this week and honestly Saturday is looking better than Friday. I am normally free on the weekend but I don't want to take time from my other Roll20 DnD group if I can help it, they get cranky if their DM doesn't show up!

5d6k3 = [6, 5, 5, 5, 1] = 16
5d6k3 = [6, 6, 5, 4, 1] = 17
5d6k3 = [6, 5, 5, 4, 3] = 16
5d6k3 = [6, 5, 5, 4, 1] = 16
5d6k3 = [6, 5, 4, 2, 2] = 15
5d6k3 = [6, 5, 4, 4, 4] = 15

Well. That was nice. Happy with this.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 am

Well I rolled that well once before with 4d6 (in Thinks game) so it can happen. Just not as often. :D

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:51 am

Maybe 5d6 IS a bit too good... :lol:

Or maybe my dice roller is rigged... :P

Also you guys should be able to use this link to join the campaign I think..? https://app.roll20.net/join/4293047/Rb_gzA

Also if the order here is weird... I got ninja'd and had just deleted my post so I could also share the roll20 link. :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:04 am

With stats like that you're basically obligated to do a 12 classes multiclass build :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:05 pm

Pahahahahahahaha! Or a bard. Those stats are ludicrous!

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:12 pm

Yeah, Swords/Valour Bard would work well. Or a Paladin. Or a Monk. Basically, anything that needs/wants multiple good stats, and can find uses for them, would be super strong.

...if you go Paladin and max CHA first, you'll have +7 on your lowest save by Lv6 :lol:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:53 pm

So you're saying half elf paladin is the way to go? :D

I will have to think about it some more. Starting at level 3? Hm. When does everything need to be in place by?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:00 pm

I was thinking this week, but honestly that's probably too optimistic to make happen. :P Next week in the weekend seems like a good goal to try and set..?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:08 am

Next week will probably work out better and let people get into Roll20 to enter their information on the sheets.

How much stuff do we start with at level 3? Any magic items?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:14 am

I had been considering that. RAW suggests at level 3 you shouldn't, but maybe..? Maybe I'll just give everyone an additional 50G they can spend on whatever meager things such gold can provide.

EDIT: though actually RAW does say that "high magic" settings and such should give more starting gear, and this is definitely a high magic setting so... Yeah, I'll allow a common magic item, with discretion.

EDITEDIT: or uncommon maybe... Common doesn't seem to have much. :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:45 am

There's a list of common magic items in... I want to say Xanathar's?

Also I probably won't be able to do next weekend, but that's fine. You guys can get started without me :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:33 am

Xanathar's has a list of common items but it isn't terribly long either. Looks like their names are on dndbeyond but not their descriptions.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:41 am

Yeah, uncommon is the usual start levels, so pick from there... Though make sure to doublecheck with me first in case there's any reason to bar them :P