April 2 2019 - Yogurt Space Monkey

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:28 am

New page - http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-7-2019

So this is a thing apparently.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Re: April 2 2019 - Yogurt Space Monkey

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:36 am

Is it just me, or are the lines slightly thicker? Anyway, just want to say that I really like the page.

The symbols on the wall look like the symbols in the "floor goes bye-bye" room, maybe they should be touching them to change their color?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:57 am

I love Fumbles' sophisticated testing method.

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-7-2019 wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Early sketches of panel 1, panel 3
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:46 am

I personally don't like the yogurt monkey joke, at all, but I am curious what's about to happen. I'm just glad it isn't the dollar store group anymore.

Gift Fastidious
Whispers Softly

Post by Gift Fastidious » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:18 pm

TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:36 am Is it just me, or are the lines slightly thicker? Anyway, just want to say that I really like the page.

The symbols on the wall look like the symbols in the "floor goes bye-bye" room, maybe they should be touching them to change their color?
It could be related, but if it was exactly the same, then the stairs would already be gone now, so it's possible that this is a reverse of that trap, in which the stairs ago away unless all the symbols are the same color.

As for Yoghurt Space Monkeys: I wonder if they would be space monkeys made of yoghurt, space monkeys known for their love of yoghurt, or monkeys from yoghurt space.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:02 pm

I think the switch from scene to scene needs lightness and there is only so much idiocy which is amusing for Minmax & Kickasso to banter between for us amusement seeking 4th wall members.

Art - Excellent, good scene setting, nice balancing on the page. Good flow of action and dialogue through the page to get to the end.
Colouring - Excellent - Seriously excellent.
LineWork - Good to Excellent - I cannot really grade line art so I am just presuming it's excellent.
Action Scenes - there are no action scenes, so I the use of a swinging blade to defeat an poignant is not something I can grade in this page. Fair to Middling attack roll on a bottom stair case though. I could almost hear the dice being rolled and the DM sighing to themselves about pointless things being checked for traps by an inadequately skilled member of a campaign group. Perhaps Thaco might be better at detect traps?
Plotting - Fair to Good.
Dialogue - Good, but we will see. More character development
Dungeon Features - My breath will be held for a suitable period of time hoping the glass staircase is indeed a trap.A trap of transparent trapping toffee perhaps.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Gift Fastidious wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:18 pmAs for Yoghurt Space Monkeys: I wonder if they would be space monkeys made of yoghurt, space monkeys known for their love of yoghurt, or monkeys from yoghurt space.
I'm going to guess the last one.

Plasmeus
Mutters to Themself

Post by Plasmeus » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:27 am

I can’t handle it.

It looks too similar to the “lesser” finger horror corridor with dies party.

All I can think of is a “greater” finger horror bursting through the staircase and chasing them :'(

I’m as freaked out as I was when “Door” happened and thought the same thing was going to occur. Hopefully this ends as well as that!

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:35 pm

That last panel keeps messing with my head. They are going up the stairs, with Minmax in the lead, all the evidence including backpacks confirms this... but they are moving down from top to bottom of the panel. Disorienting, every time I look at it.

I keep wanting to whine, "Why, Thunt? WHYYYY?"

Sure, the whole page is an April Fools prank. "Magical space monkey made of yogurt," indeed! Pretty funny, all of it. But that last panel... only Thunt could even think of pulling something like that!
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:07 am

Maybe it's the point above the top end of the staircase from where the Yoghurt Space Monkeys are observing the adventuring party before throwing Space Yoghurt onto the staircase. Then we get this (Youtube video from japanese gameshow).

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Moving the plot forwards: Naeh. Not really. Might be to establish something obstacleish happening with the stairs?
Developing characters: No. Everyone is as they use to.
Setting the mood: This must be it. Jokingly paranoid and with an odd reference to space that is a bit out of place in a fantasy setting.

Righty then. From death scene to oh-my-god-he-looks-stupid to the usual Kickmaxo stupid bumbling.

I am not sure what I am supposed to feel. Anyone else remember that "Go to hell and shit on satans couch"-thing? When do anyone plan to have that happen?
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:19 pm

Complains explained how difficult it was going to be and Big Ears swore to do it all the same, but there's yet to be any establishment of how he'll accomplish this task. My guess is, he'll just have to keep leveling-up as usual and they'll learn how to open a hell-portal along the way. At the very least, they need to escape the Dragon's Maw before Big Ears decides to strike out on his own; I doubt he will because it'll still be a long trek to the Goblin Village after crossing the Forever Drop, with or without Kore fallowing behind.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

soulsabr
Remains Silent

Post by soulsabr » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:20 pm

Am I the only one to notice that the wall with the three symbols is on their right in panel two but on their left in the final panel? Either this is a goof or Thunt is about to Thunt us again.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:35 pm

Good catch.
I fear Thunt goofed.
Gonna send him a tweet, and see if he wishes to repair this, or whether it'll be a hint that it's important....

I'm in the wrong timezone though, my tweets to him often get ignored (which is fine, he's a busy man and should be drawing comics instead of answering my ramblings).

Honestly, looking at it, I also find the forms in the last panel rather... different from the forms in the second panel. (Look at how wide the forms get towards their upper side, this I can't see in panel 2.)
Might be a shift of perspective.
Possibly the forms are shape-shifting all the time anyway...

Edited to add even more:
In the last panel, the black "shadow" seen in panel 2 runs the same, although I would hve expected it to be a shadow of "non-reflection" of the passageway in panel 2, and therefore should be completely different in the last panel.

Ugh, I feel I am overanalyzing the images now. That's one of the reasons why I usually don't look at much detail in comics. I want to read the story, and details in the images are enjoyable but usually only distractions...
The creators can do with the images as he pleases, to concentrate on the storyline and forward that.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 am

so, he has tweeted, but far as I can discern not reacted to my tweet to him...

hovnarren
Remains Silent

Post by hovnarren » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:04 am

:wall:
probably an error, but the wall decoration might be shifting to

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:57 am

hovnarren wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:04 am :wall:
probably an error, but the wall decoration might be shifting to
Jag tycker om ditt användarnamn.

I don't know why we are so concerned with that, given that the stairs obviously leads to an empty void.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:07 pm

Actually, you might be onto something; those symbols don't have reflections. Error or not, we may be seeing under the stairs and this trap will probably drop them straight into Kore's path.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Do you mean Thac0?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:42 pm

In the treasure room: Complains warns of minor details being traps while Minmax is playing with the same detail mentioned.
On the stairs: Minmax is paranoid about every minor detail being a trap, Complains dismissively scoffs.

Thaco takes his son's side in the stairs argument and is actually consistent with himself from the treasure room, but Complains is the one completing the character-switch.
Last edited by BuildsLegos on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:26 am

I did not catch that.

Yeah. Maybe. MinMax player has clearly been playing Bowst for a bit, and might have gotten stuck? And... Complains player... I dunno. Needed to play up the character turning into a demon, and just kinda... Did something Complains don't usually should do just because of...

No.
I don't know what is going on.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 pm

An easy solution for Thunt: adjust the "not every detail" bubble to come from Thaco, so that he and Complains will be fine.

For Minmax, I think this has been another matter that he's trying to improve his role-play. After that business in the treasure room, he might have decided Minmax is now more paranoid about these things.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:11 pm

What Minmax player needs is to chill down a bit and play up others. His roleplaying is alright when it needs to, but he is a bit of a spotlight grabber.

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Generic wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:11 pm What Minmax player needs is to chill down a bit and play up others. His roleplaying is alright when it needs to, but he is a bit of a spotlight grabber.
Well, Minmax has been spotlight grabber from the start. That's part of his character and role-play, no?