Dwarf Fortress

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Dwarf Fortress

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm hoping this is the right spot for this. I keep having issues knowing exactly which forums is used for what...

So... Who plays Dwarf Fortress here?

Anyone actually get anything built at all? Any tales to share? Any tips? Any common mistakes for new players to avoid?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by LAYF » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:49 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:I'm hoping this is the right spot for this. I keep having issues knowing exactly which forums is used for what...

So... Who plays Dwarf Fortress here?

Anyone actually get anything built at all? Any tales to share? Any tips? Any common mistakes for new players to avoid?
It is :)

And yes.. I play...
Will post later... have stuff to do right now :)

EDIT:

Ah.. time to respond.

I play dwarf fortress, (but with a graphics add-on, the ACSII kills my brain slowly)
It takes me really long time to get anything up and running usually, but it mostly newer fails. I always start by digging out a nice big cave and put someone to work moving things out of the way. Then putting in workshops and such, creating traps right away...

Sadly, in the 3 games I have played so far, I ended up losing half or whole my fortress to lava because I did not notes it before it was too late... started up a new game a few weeks ago, but have not had the patience to play it... (I hang out here way to much instead)

But all in all a great game.. I takes time, and most of that I donÔÇÖt know what IÔÇÖm doing :P and the other half where I know what I do, I just fail to succeed :P but itÔÇÖs all part of the fun and challenge...

(oh, and I cheated the first time by following a TUT on how to get my fortress up and running....
-Best regards LAYF

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:37 pm

See, I tried to get a graphics add-on to work, but it didn't work for some reason, so that doesn't help me understand what's going on. >_<

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Hmm.... what system are you one? (mac OS or Windows or?) and what verson of DF?
-Best regards LAYF

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:17 pm

I "casually" played it now and then... Also with a graphic add-on, since indeed, the ASCII slowly melts your brain otherwise.

Anyways, it's a shame that it's such a hard game to master! Once you do learn even half of all the things you can do, it's amazing just what the possibilities are...

Anyways, haven't played it in ages. But it's an interesting game, to say the least. Sadly I don't think I have any "good" worlds left... I remember one in which I was pretty good. Managed to get mithril and lava furnaces and all running. I had a steady army, but eventually managed to get overrun by goblin ambushes. Well, they couldn't exactly get in since I had taken out the drawbridge, but neither could we get out, so... (I sooo wanted to fire a ballista at them but apparently that thing was only able to fire it at the same level or something... Which made the whole purpose of putting it on a tower redundant in retrospect.)

Now I only have what seems like a "crappy" world left, with a version of DF that's probably at least a year out of date. And I'm not sure if I can even begin to remember all of the controls and how stuff works, especially military, assuming they haven't changed it. And now I'm considering reinstalling thanks to you guys. Sigh.

I never had anything real interesting with Dwarf Fortress though, I'm sorry to say. Never found a chasm or a demon pit or something similar... Never even managed to breach into hell. (Mostly because I wanted to "be ready"... Haha yeah right.)

Oh! Now I remember ONE event I do think worth sharing...

So in my "good" fortress, I had breached into the depths below, and I had an entrance into there- I had it sealed off with three doors since my scouts had previously noticed a forgotten beast in there, but the bastard went into hiding before my army could track it down. Surely enough, one of the days it decided to come knocking- I immediately activated the alarm, all dwarves in the lower levels dropping what they were doing and running for the safety of the higher levels- While on said higher levels, my army grabbed their weapons and began marching down the stairs to an interception point to capture the beast. Sadly, the beast smashed down the doors FAR faster than I had expected (Note- Next time use adamant to contain mighty beasts) and managed to get at some of the dwarves as they tried to flee to higher levels- 3 casualties total. Some dwarves were still running upwards as the army arrived at the interception point, meaning the beast would have to go through my army if he wanted to get at the rest of my fortress. And so I waited... And waited... Until I realized the beast wasn't coming up. At first I was angry thinking the beast had AGAIN run away to come back at me on another day, but as I descended through the levels I found him- Dead. Killed by an pickaxe.

Apparently, one of my miners was taking none of his shit as the beast tried to get at him, taking it out with a single strike to the face with his trusty pickaxe- Before further retreating to the upper levels like nothing had happened. Like, he didn't save the kingdom or anything like that, no sir.

TLDR: I had one awesome dwarf. :P

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:46 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Hmm.... what system are you one? (mac OS or Windows or?) and what verson of DF?
Version 34.11 on Windows 7.

Nice, M0rt. :lol:

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Hmm.. tried this version http://artgoblin.pl/df.php
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: wrote:
Are you starting a new game after downloading the file? Then you're in the clear! But if you want to use an existing world (save) instead, read this!
1) copy your old /data/save folder to a new version of DFG
2) delete data/save/region***/raw/ (the whole folder!)
3) copy /raw/ from the main new DFG folder into your data/save/region***/ folder

And m0rt.. Thats just so anoying yet fun what you describe there :lol:
-Best regards LAYF

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:02 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Hmm.. tried this version http://artgoblin.pl/df.php
Ooh, thank you. I can notice the difference even as it creates the world! :thumbsup:

And now, back to coursework. *headshakes*

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:04 pm

:D
Your welcome... (Its really nice not to feel the brain melting from trying to regonice * ' ^ ┬┤ and ` from each otther :P
-Best regards LAYF

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:08 pm

I played Dwarf Fortress quite a bit, up until the point I got bum-rushed by a crap-ton of goblins and lost everything.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:26 am

I'm new to DF, so I fumble with controls. I play Lazy Newb Pack version. It has nice tiles installed by default. Though I can easily play ASCII version of Dungeon Crawl, ASCII DF is confusing as hell. And I don't understand military at all. Also I use Dwarf Therapist (probably some fork) with animals and aptitudes for roles (I didn't find how to butcher animals in game).

M0rt, that's because attack with pickaxe use mining as weapon skill.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:19 pm

I am going to give DF another shot.

DF was once really popular in my high school class because one of my friends named all of his dwarfs after everyone in the class and would post when they did something remarkable. "Girl A just went berserk and killed the teacher. Guy M was the only one to die horribly in a giant attack. ect.." This really got a lot of people into DF. So if you are looking for a way to get someone that understands your DF rantings, just introduce it into an environment like my friend did. You might either gain a bunch of people to talk to ... or a bunch of people that will never talk to you again. It is really kind of a toss-up.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by WhirdCheese » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:49 pm

I never seem to get attacked. Never find any forgotten beasts. To tell the truth all I use it for is the object testing arena.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Accumulate wealth. Start in young worlds. Start near goblins. Start in savage terrains.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Lucky, I always get attacked in my second year. Just fought off a large goblin incursion and promoted my leader to Mayor.