j-prime
Mumbles Incoherently

April 22 2019 - Oops!

Post by j-prime » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:21 am

Typhlosaurus
Remains Silent

Re: April 22 2019 - Oops!

Post by Typhlosaurus » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 am

Looks like the similarity between these wall shapes and those in the Kore/Kin battle room is confirmed.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:43 am

Minmax was right.
It was a trap.
And Fumbles fumbled his throw and triggered it.
So, who will you rescue, MM?
Your one trueseeing Love, or your new best pal Maxo Kickaxo and his adventuring group?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:54 pm

Well, that de-escalated quickly.

Will he have to rescue the goblins before finding Kin? Or will he quickly rescue Kin and then find the goblins? Or is the GAP officially breaking off from Minmax for a while?

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Typhlosaurus wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 am Looks like the similarity between these wall shapes and those in the Kore/Kin battle room is confirmed.
That's ominous considering the same thing that happened to Kore just happened to the goblins. What are the chances that all falling characters end up in the same place?

Plasmeus
Mutters to Themself

Post by Plasmeus » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:09 pm

:paranoia:

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Post by LarsenSan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Minmax is alone... again... Woa...

"Be an adventurer" they said. "You'll have fun" they said.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Did Fumbles poke that ceiling spike? What made it fall?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:30 pm

RocketScientist wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:48 pmDid Fumbles poke that ceiling spike? What made it fall?
Did you forget what these wall-symbols do? As in, literally the thing we're talking about right now?
ForgetsKeys wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:55 pm
Typhlosaurus wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 amLooks like the similarity between these wall shapes and those in the Kore/Kin battle room is confirmed.
That's ominous considering the same thing that happened to Kore just happened to the goblins. What are the chances that all falling characters end up in the same place?
Great minds think alike.
BuildsLegos wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:07 pmActually, you might be onto something; those symbols don't have reflections. Error or not, we may be seeing under the stairs and this trap will probably drop them straight into Kore's path.
I called it, at least half-way!
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Goodstuff
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Goodstuff » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Interesting trap, to be sure, but I find the pacing for the last 5 pages or so to be very "off", too slow and with "meh" build up.
Page 7: "This looks like a trap."
Page 8: "It was a trap! Oh my!"

On a lighter note: Hell is seeping into the realm, I'm curious to see it corrupt/break the carefully laid puzzles of the dungeon :)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:23 am

For those interested: panel 7 as sketch:
► Show Spoiler
I love the small details, Thaco deflecting a missile, Big Ears shield forming an umbrella. I just find Fumbles standing a step too low and a tad too far from the wall.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:43 am

Oh great, we're back to teleporting characters around.

If we look at the last panel of the previous panel, we see Ears, Thaco and Complains walking in that order, about one step apart. Then in panel 4 and 6 of this page, Complains is suddenly in front of Thaco. In panel 7, we suddenly see Thaco in front of Complains again and Complains is.standing right next to the corner of the wall, so still at the very botttom of the stairs, not halfway up as shown in the previous page. In panel 8, Complains switches back in front of Thaco and the corner of the wall is suddenly nowhere in sight.
Similarly for Fumbles. In panel 4, he's clearly next to the third black panel on the wall. But in panel 7, we see that it is the middle panel that has been lit by his touch; a panel that is several steps down from where he was previously.

Also, if we count the number of steps on the stairs in both the second and the last panel of the previous page, there are a total of 17 in both cases. Even if we allow for extra steps to be hidden by perspective, there can't be more than 20. Minmax is 17 steps up in that last panel, so he can't be more than three steps from the top. In panel 7 of this page, he's suddenly down twice that amount, even though the stairs only have 14 steps in that panel.

This whole scene is completely inconsistent. Panel 7 especially clashes with everything established in other panels.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:03 am

The stairs have at least 19 steps, probably 20-23, in the introduction panel; we should keep in mind that goblins have the figure of small children and we only see their heads.

It's not completely odd that Thaco might stop to speak the first lines of this page, but that we're at least given an incomplete image is a flaw for sure. Then he might leap forward to grab a knife, which is better than doing nothing, but that he faces backward suggests otherwise.

Fumbles' symbol-continuity confirms what I was hinting at with the previous page: Thunt is seriously slipping and might need to let someone else completely take over the visuals.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:57 am

Ah. Don't try to fool me MinMax. You got upset by a character falling a while back, but you forgot about him in a few pages. What is a couple more?

Anyhow. I can not remember anyone dying after falling since the Viper tent, so they are probably fine.

Someone in the Maze of Many perhaps? I... I can't really recall. The only thing of any note that happened in the Maze of Many was that Kin forgot about MinMax. But now that is undone with her IME so I tend to just blank over anything that happened in that dungeon crawl.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:27 am

The worst death was with this Goblins Adventuring Group.
So, why would Mr. Thunt not finish the job Minmax and Forgath (and the Drow) started so long ago?

Because it would make a bad story which leaves a feeling of missing conclusion...

Well, now for a spoiler alert.
► Show Spoiler

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:57 am

Man... I was really hoping that MinMax would stick with the party for at least a little while.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:09 pm

Generic wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:57 amAh. Don't try to fool me MinMax. You got upset by a character falling a while back, but you forgot about him in a few pages. What is a couple more?
Are you referring to Forgath, who fell long after Minmax could do anything about it? Do you also forget that the only way he can even find closure is complete the dungeon and then- Image -go the long way around? Maybe you meant Big Ears, except Minmax is the one who grabbed him. Unless you count Minmax himself balancing on a log, I can't think of any other situation he's been in where falling was an issue.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 am

BuildsLegos wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:03 am The stairs have at least 19 steps, probably 20-23, in the introduction panel; we should keep in mind that goblins have the figure of small children and we only see their heads.

It's not completely odd that Thaco might stop to speak the first lines of this page, but that we're at least given an incomplete image is a flaw for sure. Then he might leap forward to grab a knife, which is better than doing nothing, but that he faces backward suggests otherwise.

Fumbles' symbol-continuity confirms what I was hinting at with the previous page: Thunt is seriously slipping and might need to let someone else completely take over the visuals.
Yes, he's slipping. Has slipped. Isn't giving the webcomic anywhere close to his full attention. Given all the stuff that's happened over the last few years, I don't find this even slightly surprising.

Nothing lasts forever. People grow and change. I think his creative energy is restless, urging him to focus beyond this one story that was mostly set in stone when he was much younger... except what would that be? Goblins is his life's work. He can't let himself doubt its value. So he's been doing related side projects.

It's possible that all the work and love he has already put into Goblins will pay off -- that the animation project, for instance, will do well enough financially to support having someone else draw the story going forward.
► Show Spoiler

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:19 pm

I wonder if thunt has thought about just making it black and white for the time being and that way he can get the comic out faster. He can start colouring when he has more time or gets someone else to do it. These panels are coming out so painfully slow.

I'm sure he has turned a lot of people away because of it.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:26 pm

Thunt doesn't do his own coloring. He has a professional color artist. (Cheyenne Wright)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:29 am

He (Thunt) does flat colouring, the shading is done by Cheyenne.

Something like this is given to the shading artist, who then does the shading (result). I don't have examples given to Cheyenne right now, this example is from the artist before Cheyenne.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:00 am

BuildsLegos wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:09 pm
Generic wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:57 amAh. Don't try to fool me MinMax. You got upset by a character falling a while back, but you forgot about him in a few pages. What is a couple more?
Are you referring to Forgath, who fell long after Minmax could do anything about it? Do you also forget that the only way he can even find closure is complete the dungeon and then-
► Show Spoiler
(Spoiler tag added by Generic not to show map again) -go the long way around? Maybe you meant Big Ears, except Minmax is the one who grabbed him. Unless you count Minmax himself balancing on a log, I can't think of any other situation he's been in where falling was an issue.
I don't know about you, but I can be distraught about things that are out of my control.

Minmax did not seem to be to upset about Forgath biting the dust on the bridge. He had some reaction just after, but close after that he was goofing around with kickasso. Forgath falling had no lasting impact on him, and now I don't see how this should affect him much.

And concerning falling: It was a long time since anyone died from falling. There has been a lot of falling though.

Sum: I don't think the goblins are in any danger, and I am not feeling whatever MinMax is expressing in that last frame. Since I don't think it will have any lasting impact on him. I am not concerned, and I don't feel that the character is concerned. Not really.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:06 am

Sessine wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 am
BuildsLegos wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:03 am The stairs have at least 19 steps, probably 20-23, in the introduction panel; we should keep in mind that goblins have the figure of small children and we only see their heads.

Yes, he's slipping. Has slipped. Isn't giving the webcomic anywhere close to his full attention. Given all the stuff that's happened over the last few years, I don't find this even slightly surprising.

Nothing lasts forever. People grow and change. I think his creative energy is restless, urging him to focus beyond this one story that was mostly set in stone when he was much younger... except what would that be? Goblins is his life's work. He can't let himself doubt its value. So he's been doing related side projects.

It's possible that all the work and love he has already put into Goblins will pay off -- that the animation project, for instance, will do well enough financially to support having someone else draw the story going forward.
As far as I am concerned, the slipping was complete and over with at "Kersploasion for no reason" and whenever the first time a lot of money went missing.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:50 am

Generic wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:00 amI don't know about you, but I can be distraught about things that are out of my control.

Minmax did not seem to be to upset about Forgath biting the dust on the bridge. He had some reaction just after, but close after that he was goofing around with kickasso. Forgath falling had no lasting impact on him, and now I don't see how this should affect him much.
How could I forget, all humans have the power of the Giro Giro Fruit and Minmax can just see through the mountain that Forgath fell. It's the same power that lets you know I am a nudist.

Or, for all he knows, Forgath won the battle with his dwarven laser-vision (actual Minmax belief) and is waiting at the Dragon's Maw exit wearing Kore's armor and waiting to serve as the priest in Kin's wedding. My new signature was well-chosen.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 am

BuildsLegos wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:50 am
Generic wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:00 amI don't know about you, but I can be distraught about things that are out of my control.

How could I forget, all humans have the power of the Giro Giro Fruit and Minmax can just see through the mountain that Forgath fell. It's the same power that lets you know I am a nudist.

Or, for all he knows, Forgath won the battle with his dwarven laser-vision (actual Minmax belief) and is waiting at the Dragon's Maw exit wearing Kore's armor and waiting to serve as the priest in Kin's wedding. My new signature was well-chosen.
Ah. Yeah. He did not see the fall. You are correct. I did not think of that. Anyway, being left with Kore is pretty much established as being a death sentence. And they knew they were being chased by Kore in the dungeon itself. Not looking to good for Forgath. But, yeah. I forgot he did not see the fall. He still got over worrying/being saddened pretty quickly.