Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 12, 2019 8:10 pm

Kroshav has a pendant, but his shield also has The Fist on it, though he casts a lot fewer spells that need use of a holy symbol.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 15, 2019 3:38 am

Pfft, so it was suggested that I get Lurn Magic Initiate for Druid so he can pick up Shillelagh and have a 1d8+5 melee attack... But that's basically an entire feat for +2 melee damage, since the low level druid spell list is looking a lot like the cleric's.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 15, 2019 4:44 am

Well besides the two extra damage it would also increase your chance to hit by two and become magical as well. Shillelegh is solid but with 17 strength you're not a slouch in that department anyway. Would probably be a stronger pick up if you were some scrawny weak cleric with only a plus one. As it is you could put your ASI into STR and Dex, increase your attack and damage by one and your AC by one. If you do go the magic initiate route the best pickups for the other two spells would probably be either entangle or faerie fire for your first level and for a grave cleric mold Earth is quite handy. In the last real life campaign I was part of we had double clerics and I was able to talk the dm into letting me swap out guidance for mold Earth since double guidance cheesiness is just dumb. Otherwise a ranged attack cantrip might be handy, since you're save only?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 15, 2019 5:46 am

You're right about the stats, honestly. I'd been thinking it was either that or putting two into CON to get that up to 20 alongside WIS. The dex wouldn't be half bad, though, since the armour I have right now still has room for the extra +1.

As for ranged attack cantrips... From Druid I guess it would be Poison Spray, Produce Flame, or Thorn Whip. Poison Spray has the best damage, but only 10' range and it's Poison damage, which I think has been said it's resisted by a lot? After that, Produce Flame is basically as good as Thorn Whip or better in every way... I suppose a 1d8 attack wouldn't be bad to have up the sleeve, but I could achieve that if I just used my crossbow... Admittedly, wouldn't have the big +5 to-hit from wisdom, but if I buff up dexterity I'd only be losing +3 and gaining +2 damage.
As for Mold Earth... I've heard it's a neat spell if you use it creatively (Thanks to Animated Spellbook), but can't actually find it in my phb. Like, it's not in the spell lists as far as I can tell.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 15, 2019 6:08 am

If you didn't already have Light, I'd say Produce Flame for sure.

Mold Earth is from XGtE, I think.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 15, 2019 6:29 am

:o I forgot XGtE had spells in it. It's just been subclasses to me. XD Yes, ignore that Toll The Dead is from XGtE

Also, Magic Stone is hilarious. Just dinking people with pebbles for 1d6+5 damage. That's basically more dangerous than Lurn's mace (Same max damage, better minimum), and to top it off one cast gives three total attacks, which others can take.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 15, 2019 7:02 am

Since that uses your modifiers, it'd make Jolly actually effective in combat... and as a BA cantrip, you still get an action and can cast a spell that uses a slot. You just need 3 followers who can all throw a pebble each turn... :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Got to say that I am disappointed in the effectiveness of the fire skeletons. Fire is clearly not the way to go...next time something like acid would work out better...

I just looked at magic stone and that is a crazy cantrip for just a bonus action. The stones have better normal range than a javelin and a hand axe and can make a couple kids deadly effective.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Right? They're insanely effective.

Also, I realised something overnight... Mold Earth is actually so thematically accurate for a Grave Cleric. Just take a few turns of magic and boom, you've got a grave. XD
How many turns exactly depends on how well you want to make the grave. Typically for a full grave six feet down, and it'd have to be about six feet long to suitably fit most races, and then width would be, like... what, 1.5 feet? ... I feel like I'm doing something wrong, because my math is telling me that would take 54 cubic feet of soil, and that seems like a lot.

Anyway, maths aside, maybe I should take Magic Initiate just for the sake of having grave-making magic and magic pebbles to put on graves instead of boring old normal pebbles.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 15, 2019 6:05 pm

I just had an idea for a group of druids who defend their grove by casting magic stone on pebbles and giving them to squirrels to throw at invaders instead of acorns...

I didn't come by mold earth legitimately as far as the rules are concerned, but my grave cleric dwarf has really low strength so he carries a shovel (using quarterstaff stats) as his weapon and it is also the form of his spiritual weapon. He just loosens the dirt with the shovel, then moves it out of the hole, bodies go in, move the dirt back.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Mold Earth can loosen the dirt too, y'know. XD Still, it's a neat bit of flavour to have.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Don't think it loosens the dirt without a generous reading of the last ability though.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Ooohkay for some reason I'd inserted "Loosen dirt" into the first part. Shovel is very much necessary.
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri May 17, 2019 9:11 am

We might have a moment to catch our breath and do some quick healing while the big bad lets us make a choice before fighting, which will be a good thing. Burns; I have some really ancient, maybe tainted, healing potions which Joe could use. I think Jaq will be taking that gamble.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 17, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm out of spells, possibly having 'wasted' my two divine smites on the fire skellies, but I've got a full tank of Hands.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 17, 2019 12:42 pm

I have two luck points and no Ki left, but I can heal 3hp if needed and still fly/do the death from above thing.

Question: is there a ceiling in this place? And if so, how high is it?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri May 17, 2019 1:51 pm

No ceiling, sky is the limit! Actually limit is more like 600 ft and then you fall but think of the view!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 17, 2019 2:17 pm

Cool :) I suspect fall damage is only going to work well for a couple of levels (if that) before every bad guy gets too big / can fly so might well give it a try if the opportunity arises. What could possibly go wrong :lol:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri May 17, 2019 2:33 pm

I foresee no issues. None at all.

Tried to find a link to the scene in Dogma where Matt Damon is dropping people but came up with nothing. :(

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 17, 2019 6:34 pm

Well, 600 ft would max out at 20d6 fall damage to Ves as she plummets back down, which would average 70 damage. Starting at 4th level, she'll have Slow Fall, and be able to reduce damage by 5 * monk level, so 20 to start. That drops the 70 damage down to 50, which is would be survivable, as long as Lurn or Kroshav are standing by. By level 14, she'll be able to drop at terminal velocity and negate that 70 damage...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 pm

:lol: welp, I think successfully flying even 300 feet up will be a miracle regardless, given that it'll require a successful grapple for like 5 rounds while getting murdered by touch spells. I doubt Ves's 30hp will last too long and she's not quite that reckless...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri May 17, 2019 10:02 pm

Lurn still has an absolutely massive amount of healing available. Four level 1 slots, one level 2 slot. If we don't want to re-up Spiritual Weapon then that's four shots of 1d4+5 or 1d8+5 and one of 2d4+5 or 2d8+5, no 2d if I recast Spiritual Weapon when it runs out.

Basically get close to Lurn and he can fix you up, don't get close and he can put a bandaid on. (If you're really badly hurt it'll help if you get really close and then just pass out, though, so I can give a guaranteed 13 hp).

Also, does using my bonus action to control the Spiritual Weapon count as just an action, or as a spell? Impacts whether I can heal myself right now or just try to blast another skeleton. (Well, I'll just be making rolls for both cases, so if it does count as a spell the Toll The Dead will be ready)
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat May 18, 2019 12:36 am

I believe it just uses your bonus action so you have your standard action left, correct me if I am wrong Spider/Thinks. You can't trade your standard for another bonus action.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 18, 2019 1:28 am

So I can take a standard action for a spell that isn't a cantrip?
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat May 18, 2019 3:23 am

Controlling the spiritual weapon is a bonus action and not a spell so you can cast a standard action spell, cantrip or otherwise.