Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:41 am

((ooc I'm struggling to decide what Ves would do here. On the one hand, they just kicked ass. On the other, she had her ass kicked and Jaq has a hand curse...))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:13 am

Joe searches around for any traps as they get close to the smaller building.
[1d20+4] = 6+4 = 10

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:55 am

"Yeah, let's take our time and be careful," Jaq says to Joe as he walks up in the front with her, also checking for traps.
Trap searching 1d20+4 = [19] = 23

He will have his bow out and ready and is not so worried about stealth right now, as he is not wanting anyone to get hit by some ancient trap or pitfall.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:06 am

Joe and Jaq give the old building a once over for traps. Joe finds nothing of concern and Jaq spots a few rocks from the fallen wall that could possibly roll onto unprepared and unlucky toes but no traps. A glance inside the building's mostly intact room reveals a stone floor with a fair amount of soil buildup in a corner and spots on the walls and floors that look to be discolored by rust (Joe would note these spots more or less line up with where she saw the skeletons).

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:40 am

Lurn keeps his shield and mace - I'm going to assume he retrieved it by now - in hand, not willing to let down his guard in this ruin. "Unfortunately, curses are not the cheapest matters, and it may require a powerful dispelling. That would mean it's in the range of gold coins, at least. The stronger the curse, the higher the cost of removing it."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:01 am

Jaq sighs at Lurn's comment about the cost of lifting curses. "Let's not worry about that now. I'll do what I have to do to pay off whatever church deals with this for me." He says with a half-hearted smile. "It could be worse. We are all alive and kicking yet."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 am

((Moving beyond the smaller building? There are piles of bones to the east where Joe was fighting and then a good number inside the larger ruins that aren't visible.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 am

"So, nothing in the small building of interest...Where to next?" Jaq points north with a questioning look. There seems to be an area of the temple there that we didn't really go to at all, but where skeletons came from and moved toward us.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 am

Ves glares at the bones suspiciously.

"I don't like the idea that these can just get up and trap us inside. Can we burn them or something? Stop them being able to get up again?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Joe nods and starts firebolting the bones, making sure to turn them into ashes.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Joe proceeds to burn up random bones and clothing scraps scattered across the ground. It quickly becomes evident that it is tricky to hit them on the ground from a distance. It's also going to take a long time to get all the bones burnt into ash.

Perhaps gathering the bones and starting a sustained fire would be more efficient, if less flashy, way of ashifying them?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:54 pm

"Removing these corpses would be a long and tiresome procedure. Still, maybe it would be smart. If the powers here can raise any corpse nearby it would be smart to cut back its forces."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:55 pm

"any ideas how? I can build a fire..."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:42 pm

"I think dry bones burn fairly well, so I think we'd only need a little wood to get it started, and after it's hot enough to burn the bones that would take care of it. So if we focus on collecting them into a pile we could deal with it relatively efficiently."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 pm

"Can't say I like the idea of collecting them all in a big pile for Anti-Kevin to pop out of somewhere and wake them all up at once."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:03 pm

”So instead o waitin’ ye rather go n risk wakin tha dead to gath’r tha bones? Ah rather not chance it.”

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:08 pm

"One small pile, then. And once that pile is burned, another small pile. Then another. However long it takes."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:51 pm

The group makes a medium sized fire and gather the bones they can find and begin burning about skeleton's worth, while these burn they start another fire and burn another set of bones and so on until they have half a dozen fires burning six piles of bones. Nothing tries to stop the group as they gather the bones nor while the bones burn slowly to ash.

While gathering the bones outside the ruins the group finds bits of rusted armor and pitted, poorly maintained weapons.

((Are you gathering bones from inside the big ruins as well or just outside?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:35 am

"Entering that building may be dangerous. My faith rejects its manipulations, for I know the truth of what death brings, but I am not so foolish as to take risks alone, and if anyone else enters without similar protection they would be at greater risk the closer they come to the pool. I can afford no more healing this day, so should it claim anyone I may at most pull them free and keep them from death... Kroshav, what does your faith say of the dead? Does it give you cause to inherently reject the idea that the dead may suffer in the least?"

((Only asking Kroshav because Ves is new to religion - having only started considering it without making any decisions, to Lurn's knowledge - and nobody else seems to hold particularly strong faith.
OOC, I'd say the three with advantage of the saves should be the only ones to consider going inside just for clearing out skeletons. Staying outside means the others have longer to make their checks or be intercepted by someone who did make the save. But, y'know, IC Lurn doesn't know that just all three with religious links get innate resistances.))
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:47 am

"Uhh... If you're gonna die, do it well, in the name of what is right. If you need to make other people dead, be sure they have earned it, and do it with mercy? Not sure about any least sufferings...", Kroshav tries to respond to the well spoken cleric's question.

"Say, you said bashing skeletons works better... Guess I should make myself a war hammer just in case. Is that why you carry that mace you gave Ves?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 am

((I thought Kroshav was given the mace? Ves dropped it for him anyway))

Ves shrugs.

"I don't like this place. Gives me the shivers. But if we're going to go, let's get it over with. Go carefully, and if it looks like things are turning nasty, we run. Keep the way back clear of dead too. I don't want to get trapped."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:48 am

((I know she grabbed it, but I think she went all angel after that and never got it to him? :D ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:58 am

Jaq will watch for trouble from the far west side of the building then, far from the pool as Lurn suggests. "Joe, wanna tag along with me?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:00 am

"Hrm, hardly teachings that would steel your will against that influence... All of you, harden your resolve, and have faith; the dead do not suffer. Should that power seek to draw any into the pool, understand this. That voice the undead spoke with made no denials of my saying that it used only lies and manipulations. Do not trust what you hear."

"Being better for dealing with skeletons is incidental. My main weapon against any foe is my faith - literally so - and not all of the undead will be so easily crushed. I carry a mace because it is convenient to do so, and with a bludgeoning weapon it would be easier to subdue without killing if the opportunity comes, compared to a blade. In general, my order favours no particular weapons, but our patron Lord has at times wielded a bastard sword, and those with the knack often follow his example."

Lurn nods when Ves says she doesn't like the place. "Agreed. In a pinch, I have recovered enough to call upon my Lord to repulse nearby undead for a time, but caution is still smart."
((Where are you thinking we go? Past the church place and further into the ruins? Into the church to investigate where the cloaked undead came from? I don't know that Lurn ever realised the stairway was there, since he was out of the room when cloaky came in and otherwise focused on the giant.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 am

((There is nothing past the church to the north except a stone wall. Climbing the wall would put you at the base of a mountain. West side of the church ruins has some parts that no one has looked at yet.

The group walked past a lot of ruins in getting to the church but they were mostly just foundations.

The mace was passed to Ves who went full firefly and never passed it on to Kroshav :D.))