30 July 2019 -- Big Ears' Ears

Discuss the comic here!
SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

30 July 2019 -- Big Ears' Ears

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:33 am

Link to Comic

Well, this isn't looking good.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

30th July 2019: Crunch Crunch

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:35 am

Well this should be interesting. I guess the only question now is whether the golem did enough damage to Kore that they stand even a fraction of a chance against him.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 30 July 2019 -- Big Ears' Ears

Post by Krulle » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:48 am

Well, they're still redefining 1/3 challenge rating.

Oh, and I assume the helmet will work, just a tad later than expected, and Thaco's blindfold will allow him to lure Kore to where the Golem will hit a tad later....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:23 pm

I suspect that Ears might get desperate enough and pull a Van Gogh to get the helmet on.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Maybe Minmax will drop in?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

energyscholar
Remains Silent

Post by energyscholar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Wow I did NOT expect the helmet to not fit because of Ears ears' were too big! Wow that's great! Hilarious! Prompted me to sign up on this forum! Fabulous!

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:57 pm

jbrecken wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:23 pm I suspect that Ears might get desperate enough and pull a Van Gogh to get the helmet on.
That's exactly what I thought. He IS a paladin.

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Post by LarsenSan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:04 pm

I just realized what is the best move they can do now: force the helmet on Kore. Yeah, the golem can be dangerous, but, Kore can get disoriented when he suddenly is not in his body... body they can damage and cripple while he's not in complete control... just an idea.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 pm

I can't remember. Has Minmax used the helmet yet? He could probably do some good damage to Kore as well, and it would probably fit. It would be a better move than Big Ears cutting off his ears.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:20 pm

I wonder if this is what Young and Beautiful saw at Big Ears' naming ceremony.

eleras
Remains Silent

Post by eleras » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:04 pm

SamWiser wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 pm I can't remember. Has Minmax used the helmet yet? He could probably do some good damage to Kore as well, and it would probably fit. It would be a better move than Big Ears cutting off his ears.
Not yet. Minmax got separated from the GAP.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:33 pm

eleras wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:04 pm
SamWiser wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 pm -snip-
Ah. For some reason I assumed Minmax dropped down right behind him. It definitely seems like he is due for a heroic charge to save everybody sometime in the next few pages.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:19 pm

SamWiser wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:33 pm
eleras wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:04 pm
SamWiser wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 pm -snip-
Ah. For some reason I assumed Minmax dropped down right behind him. It definitely seems like he is due for a heroic charge to save everybody sometime in the next few pages.
I hope not. I am quite tired of MinMax at this point and appreciate the break from him.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 pm

Where is Señor Vorpal? Why are we only seeing two goblins charging?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:20 am

Funmbles already used the helmet (dance moves), and I doubt that an Alter Ego may also use the helmet.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:32 am

SamWiser wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 pm I can't remember. Has Minmax used the helmet yet? He could probably do some good damage to Kore as well, and it would probably fit. It would be a better move than Big Ears cutting off his ears.
Goblins are about the size of a five-year-old. If the helmet is this tight a fit for them, there is no way it will fit Minmax. Or Kore, for that matter.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:57 am

Morgaln wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:32 am Goblins are about the size of a five-year-old. If the helmet is this tight a fit for them, there is no way it will fit Minmax. Or Kore, for that matter.
many magic items size to fit the user .. in my limited recollection that is - not being designed to fit the ears of the user is a silly but probably legitimate twist. I wonder how K'Sless would fit the helmet when his mohawk flicked upon being filled with battlelust ...

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:13 am

Hmmm my DM always has magical items resize to fit the wearer (D&D is inspired by Tolkein after all) - so when you find loot in a dungeon it's good for the human, the hafling, or the non-humanoid party member. Definitely didn't suspect this turn of events, and certainly different gaming rules than I'm used to playing by! I had guessed that the goblins weren't going to get rid of Kore that easily, and that this was going to turn into a face-off.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:49 am

From Twitter:
Kirby wrote:Huh.
I didn't expect that to happen.
Aren't magical items supposed to change their size to accommodate the user?
Elli wrote:That's a feature that many magic items have. Not all of them, though.
Apparently whoever designed this dungeon wanted a golem VR helmet that only works for small creatures.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:41 am

TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 pm Where is Señor Vorpal? Why are we only seeing two goblins charging?
I really can not be sure at all. I've lost most sense of direction and orientation in the scene at this point. It seems awfully out of character for him though.
jbrecken wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:23 pm I suspect that Ears might get desperate enough and pull a Van Gogh to get the helmet on.
I hope not. More body horror straight after the "Forgath and oddly fuckable dwarf-bunny" storyline will be losing it's impact, I think.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:10 pm

I will admit that the first time through I missed that the helmet didn't fit because of the ears. Initially I assumed it was because Kore broke part of the golem.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:30 pm

WearsHats wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:49 am From Twitter:
Kirby wrote:Huh.
I didn't expect that to happen.
Aren't magical items supposed to change their size to accommodate the user?
Elli wrote:That's a feature that many magic items have. Not all of them, though.
Apparently whoever designed this dungeon wanted a golem VR helmet that only works for small creatures.
Or over time it only went smaller, smaller, and smaller. And needs to touch the head inside the helmet to adjust, thus making it impossible for larger creatures to use it after smaller creatures...

It's also not "equipment" in the sense of armour or the like, so the magic may indeed be restricted to controlling the Golem and nothing else...

thisnameismeta
Remains Silent

Post by thisnameismeta » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:08 pm

This panel with the prophecy from fumbles makes me think ears will be doing some damage to his namesake to get the helmet to fit "the ears will not hear" http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Oh good catch!

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Nice observation on the prophecy. I had forgotten about those or at least, they did not sit in the front of my mind.

I think its a fair interpretative but I have no idea if it is a realistic interpretation to this event. Mostly because it looks/sounds like the Golem was smashed apart by the sole remaining weapon in Kore's right hand, one of his axes. It could be a reference to BigEears not hearing something, so it is referring to his inattention not his ears being hearing apparatus.

I wonder if the prophecy "The Dwarf Cries No More" is matched with "The Ears Will not Hear"? Or even "Two Coins for a Dead Dwarf" and "Another Leg Lost".

The prophecy I do look forward to is "The Death of a Goblin, the Death of a God"... which of our goblins will become unto a God?