D&D 5e--Lost Mines of Phandelver

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: D&D 5e--Lost Mines of Phandelver

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:36 am

There's an app I really like on my phone called "Fifth Edition Character Sheet" with a green d20 icon. The free version gets you a character creator for level 1, but the paid version is like two bucks and guides you through levelling up if you need it. It's also got all the official material in it. The only real issue is that because its 3rd party, some of the names of feats and class features aren't the official ones, but it's not enough to really be a problem. They incorporate point buy in the app if it's of interest for a trial.

Or, this is the first result on Google :)
http://chicken-dinner.com/5e/5e-point-buy.html

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:20 pm

Too late to hop in? I am in pretty much every DnD game on the forum, why break the streak and miss this one?

Oh and I am familiar with the Mines through the Adventure Zone but I am guessing they followed it VERY loosely.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:18 pm

I'd be happy to have you, Rodgeir! Itll be good to have another experienced player to call me out if I make any mistakes.

Right now we have 2 clerics and a bard. No word on what Quarg is making yet.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Great! I was looking at a rogue. Or a warlock.

What are our background choices? Can we use Xanathar's guide?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:26 pm

Aimee Glade'ver
Half elf warlock
5'7"

Str: 8
Dex: 13 + 1
Con: 14 + 1
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 15 + 2

Racial traits: Darkvision and more!

Background: Cloistered scholar (library access)

Skill proficiencies: Arcana, deception, history, religion
Saves: Wisdom, charisma

I have a pair of daggers, light crossbow, leather armor, arcane focus

Spells:
Cantrips: Eldritch blast, prestidigitation
Level 1 spells: Hex, charm person

Patron: Great Old One
Ability: Awaked mind

Languages: Common, Elf, Dwarf, Orc
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:55 pm

A warlock would be cool. As for backgrounds, I would prefer if you would stick to the ones in the handbook, but if you find one you really like in another source, give me the info, let me know what it is and I'll give final approval.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Just as a minor point of note, but keeping your stats as even numbers is generally a good idea because even numbers is when the modifiers go up. it depends how far you're planning ahead a bit, but in Rodgeir's case for example, adding the +2 to CON and +1 to CHA would give you one extra HP and wouldnt affect your CHA because there's functionally no difference between a 16 and a 17 :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:19 am

Thinks is generally correct, except in this case I can't choose where the +2 goes without changing my race (half elf gets +2 to Cha and +1 to two other stats). That said I could move my standard array 15 from Charisma to constitution and the 14 to Charisma and get that extra HP.

In my case I was planning for the level 4 Ability Score Improvement where I can increase any stat by two or two stats by one. I am going to drop a point in my odd scores then. With the fiendish vigor invocation (2nd level) the missing HP probably won't be as big of a deal. Hopefully :).

What is worth considering is that I am planning for something, that given the pace of forum games, is likely not going to happen for a year or so at the earliest :shrug: .

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:41 am

Yes, you're right - I got the numbers backwards! You'd need to adjust the standard array distribution rather than where the +2 goes :)

Anyway, not that you specifically need or want that advice, just thought it was worth a mention as other folk build their characters.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:00 am

Never built a warlock before and I am always open to advice!

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:02 am

Sam, do you want me to convert Balin to standard array or just nerf his numbers? Your game, your call.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:06 am

Uh...

Let's just do standard array. It makes sense for everybody to use the same system.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:30 am

:thumbsup:

► Show Spoiler
Here's the redo using standard array.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:34 pm

I updated above, not as detailed as Lurks though. What would you like before we start Sam? Will there be a Google sheet with everyone's stats?

Also my background is from Xanathar's, but I can switch it to sage instead for more or less the same stuff.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Before we start, I'm wanting characters from everybody. I'll try to look for a google doc sheet or something similar that will allow us to easily look at and edit our characters. (Any suggestions would be nice).

Right now we have a completed character from Lurks, and Rodegier and Thinks are about 90% done. Gathers mentioned they were using the premade cleric, though might want to look at the different focuses to see what kind of cleric they want. Quarg has been pretty quiet lately. I'll give him some time to build a character before moving on. I'm hoping we can start before this time next week.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:35 am

I can throw up a Google sheet based on what is used in my, Thinks and Spider's games if you'd like?

Here is a direct copy of what I use in Tests and Trials.

I changed the name of the tabs so people can just update the content and it will automatically update the first page, which is a time saver as it shows all the saves etc.

Lurks and Thinks are familiar with it and I can help put things in, but it is really pretty easy!

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:45 am

Yeah, that will work. Thanks Rodgeir!

I'll double check everybody's characters later today to make sure nothing is missing from the ones who have made them.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:23 am

How much background do you need on the characters before we get started?

I can drop in the stats that are up tonight. Gathers wanted the cleric pre-built?

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:54 am

I would say that depends on whether Sam wants a quick module run or if he's going for full campaign like Spider did. Spider got a full background out of me (and I'm guessing the others) before we started and incorporated it into his world. But it sounds like Sam is just wanting to get his feet wet, so I don't think we'll need quite that level. ;)

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:03 am

Yeah. Don't need a full backstory. I will post a kind of "beginning adventure hook" later tonight, and hopefully you can fit your backstory in to make sense as to why you are going on this adventure.

I know that's kind of railroad-y, and I'll try to avoid that kind of thing in the game, but I'm realizing I should have given you that info much earlier.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:59 pm

I have added the basic stats for Thinks, Lurks and my characters. Lurks you will need to update the inventory, same for you Thinks. Kryz also needs some more details as well as some information on armor weapons. Aimee should be a go...ish.

I will add Gathers character when I get confirmation on her character stats, no need to do double work!

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:11 pm

I've updated the Google sheets for Balin. Are we just using max HP as a default? I was originally using the default HP of 5+con (which with standard array would actually be 7). I could re-roll the HP otherwise.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:54 am

Starting HP in 5e is the max on your HD+con. So for a cleric it would be 8+con modifier, in Balin's case it's 8+2 =10. No rolls needed!

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:43 am

Ah, I missed that. Thanks! :chuckle:

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Adventure Hook:

Help Wanted

Looking for help moving a cart of supplies from Neverwinter to the border town of Phandalin. Will be responsible for fast and secure transport of all goods. Everybody involved in transport and protection of goods will earn 10 Gold Pieces each when the cart is delivered to Barthen's Provisions in Phandalin. Equipment will be inventoried before payment.

Interested parties meet me at The Philosopher Inn in Neverwinter tomorrow evening for approval and handover of goods. I will be leaving as soon as the meeting is over with my bodyguard. You will be expected to leave the next morning. Lodging for the night will be provided at the inn.

---Gundren Rockseeker

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett