30 July 2019 -- Big Ears' Ears

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 30 July 2019 -- Big Ears' Ears

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:12 pm

The last one sounds like Duv, who sees herself as a kind of god for the Goblins....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:02 am

I read that last prophesy as a Goblin dying to kill a God, perhaps the demon god in the Axe?
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:27 am

SeeAMoose wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:02 am I read that last prophesy as a Goblin dying to kill a God, perhaps the demon god in the Axe?
That is my guess as well. I hope it's got nothing to do with what comes in the comic later.

It could also refer to The Dies Deal that killed the Demoness.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

RayRay
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by RayRay » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:45 am

jbrecken wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:23 pm I suspect that Ears might get desperate enough and pull a Van Gogh to get the helmet on.
That would be gruesome, but expected. I will hope it doesn't happen, but I suppose it would be hard to stop.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:30 pm

Generic wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:27 am
SeeAMoose wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:02 am I read that last prophesy as a Goblin dying to kill a God, perhaps the demon god in the Axe?
That is my guess as well. I hope it's got nothing to do with what comes in the comic later.

It could also refer to The Dies Deal that killed the Demoness.
I don't think it is the latter as that has already happened and as such wouldn't be much of a prophesy.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 am

Hmm, yeah, given all those posts above, cutting his own ear(s) off seems like a legit move from Ears now.

Even though I understood that he couldn't equip the helmet because his ears weren't fitting, I had the same idea as Moose that the real reason behind that was that Kore had chopped the golem apart (he already finished with some fingers on the panel before), thus rendering the "remote control" useless.
If that's true, it would be nice to see what have remained of said golem before attempting the Van Gogh move so it wouldn't be in vain...

Off topic:
Has any of you played Crusader: No Regret back in the days? This arc reminds me on the parts where you could hijack robots to kill stuff for you.
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:38 am

So the goblins are back in danger because the helmet won't fit. Well, that's a lame way of bringing the dramatic tension back in. The kind of thing a poor DM might do, to rob his players of a deserved victory through planning.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:35 pm

Well, I LIKE IT. this ain' a game, even though the start referred toit, but the Goblins have no players we know of.

And it gives nice moments of fun and comedy, something to smirk about while reading a story.

Although these kind of jokes might work less good if you have the full paper version and can read it in one go.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:43 pm

SeeAMoose wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:10 pm I will admit that the first time through I missed that the helmet didn't fit because of the ears. Initially I assumed it was because Kore broke part of the golem.
Inspired wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 am Hmm, yeah, given all those posts above, cutting his own ear(s) off seems like a legit move from Ears now.

Even though I understood that he couldn't equip the helmet because his ears weren't fitting, I had the same idea as Moose that the real reason behind that was that Kore had chopped the golem apart (he already finished with some fingers on the panel before), thus rendering the "remote control" useless.
If that's true, it would be nice to see what have remained of said golem before attempting the Van Gogh move so it wouldn't be in vain...

Off topic:
Has any of you played Crusader: No Regret back in the days? This arc reminds me on the parts where you could hijack robots to kill stuff for you.
I'm with Moose and Inspired here. I think the helmet doesn't work because the golem is destroyed. I'm really leaning that way just due to the ordering of the panels. You specifically see Kore smash the golem before the helmet goes on Ears head. If it was just that it didn't fit due to his ears, there'd be no point in showing Kore smashing the golem.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:27 pm

Rooks wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:43 pm
SeeAMoose wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:10 pm I will admit that the first time through I missed that the helmet didn't fit because of the ears. Initially I assumed it was because Kore broke part of the golem.
Inspired wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 am Hmm, yeah, given all those posts above, cutting his own ear(s) off seems like a legit move from Ears now.

Off topic:
I'm with Moose and Inspired here. I think the helmet doesn't work because the golem is destroyed. I'm really leaning that way just due to the ordering of the panels. You specifically see Kore smash the golem before the helmet goes on Ears head. If it was just that it didn't fit due to his ears, there'd be no point in showing Kore smashing the golem.
Oh? We need reasons to show things now? Like that instance where Idle got stabbed in the tummy and then nothing came of it? Or Kore having a flippy shield that is now gone forever and served no purpose? Or the switchbeast! Remember the switchbeast? It... Umh. Killed some Vipers before Biscuit would have killed them anyway?

No. I think it does not fit due to ears being big. That, and being stoic, is his character. And he will cut them off because why not? Every one else of the goblins got twisted or mutilated, so it's his turn now.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:40 pm

redfeather wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:38 am So the goblins are back in danger because the helmet won't fit. Well, that's a lame way of bringing the dramatic tension back in. The kind of thing a poor DM might do, to rob his players of a deserved victory through planning.
I think we missed a great opportunity to put them in danger a while back. Where Kore discarded the "Dungeon gimmic" by just tossing it asside. The Golem should have been out at that point.

Or, we can have a completely empty room with no gimmic. The Goblins are hiding. Kore is talking to himself just like it was planted a while back, and we got to learn something interesting about him. Because right now he is... Dunno, a slow ticking clock? Towards... Something? I don't see his purpose for the story anymore once he forced them into the dungeon.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:25 pm

Not sure why you read the comic Generic, or why you post here either for that matter.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:43 pm

Shardstorm wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:25 pm Not sure why you read the comic Generic, or why you post here either for that matter.
Good thing you don't need to worry about that.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:04 am

Generic wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:27 pm Oh? We need reasons to show things now? Like that instance where Idle got stabbed in the tummy and then nothing came of it? Or Kore having a flippy shield that is now gone forever and served no purpose? Or the switchbeast! Remember the switchbeast? It... Umh. Killed some Vipers before Biscuit would have killed them anyway?

No. I think it does not fit due to ears being big. That, and being stoic, is his character. And he will cut them off because why not? Every one else of the goblins got twisted or mutilated, so it's his turn now.
Well, first things first.
Big Ears should've died in Brassmoon City in the original storyline draft. Thunt changed that in short notice.
We may have reached the point where this version of the storyline can merge the original one again...

Second, the switchbeast was the reason why Biscuit got brought to "the border of the viperclan lands" anyway, and therefore the reasonw hy he could escape death. I liked that part. Yes, it is slightly unsatisfying that we don't know with certainty what happened then...

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:16 am

Shardstorm wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:25 pm Not sure why you read the comic Generic, or why you post here either for that matter.
► Show Spoiler
We are getting a bit derailed of the topic, here :)

I wonder if Kore manages to get out again and meets Forgath who also looks like a golem now (does he count as one?), would he get a PTSD assuming he wouldn't be totally insane to begin with? :D

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:15 am

Krulle wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:04 am [...]
Well, first things first.
Big Ears should've died in Brassmoon City in the original storyline draft. Thunt changed that in short notice.
We may have reached the point where this version of the storyline can merge the original one again...
[...]
I did not know that. So, this whole hell-breaking-loose thing is not really related to Ears all that much?

The one I hope bites it now is Complains. Then he'll have to regrow some hitpoints again, and he can have his demon-plotline advanced.

thisnameismeta
Remains Silent

Post by thisnameismeta » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:38 am

Rooks wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:43 pm I'm with Moose and Inspired here. I think the helmet doesn't work because the golem is destroyed. I'm really leaning that way just due to the ordering of the panels. You specifically see Kore smash the golem before the helmet goes on Ears head. If it was just that it didn't fit due to his ears, there'd be no point in showing Kore smashing the golem.
If you look at http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-15-2019 you'll notice that the golem takes what seems like far more severe damage earlier in the battle with Kore (the swipe that takes a deep cut out of its side) and this in no way impairs Thaco's attempt to put on the helmet. In contrast, in the current comic the golem just seems to lose some fingers before Big Ears has trouble putting the helmet on. Big Ears also seems to be under the impression that it's his ears that are in the way, as you see him try to fit them into the top of the helmet to let it go on after his initially unsuccessful attempt. Also look at this twitter thread - - where Elli seems to confirm that the problem is the helmet doesn't fit Big Ears.
Last edited by WearsHats on Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tag

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:37 pm

thisnameismeta wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:38 am
Rooks wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:43 pm I'm with Moose and Inspired here. I think the helmet doesn't work because the golem is destroyed. I'm really leaning that way just due to the ordering of the panels. You specifically see Kore smash the golem before the helmet goes on Ears head. If it was just that it didn't fit due to his ears, there'd be no point in showing Kore smashing the golem.
If you look at http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-15-2019 you'll notice that the golem takes what seems like far more severe damage earlier in the battle with Kore (the swipe that takes a deep cut out of its side) and this in no way impairs Thaco's attempt to put on the helmet. In contrast, in the current comic the golem just seems to lose some fingers before Big Ears has trouble putting the helmet on. Big Ears also seems to be under the impression that it's his ears that are in the way, as you see him try to fit them into the top of the helmet to let it go on after his initially unsuccessful attempt. Also look at this twitter thread - - where Elli seems to confirm that the problem is the helmet doesn't fit Big Ears.
Thank you for the share. That note from Elli would indeed point to me being mistaken.
Generic wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:27 pm Oh? We need reasons to show things now? Like that instance where Idle got stabbed in the tummy and then nothing came of it? Or Kore having a flippy shield that is now gone forever and served no purpose? Or the switchbeast! Remember the switchbeast? It... Umh. Killed some Vipers before Biscuit would have killed them anyway?

I think there is always reasons for an artist to go through the work of detailing something in a scene. Whether that point works with the audience or is carried out long term is a different thing. I felt compelled to discuss each of your points, but as most internet discussions go, I'm sure this won't sway you one way or another.

Idle was stabbed in the belly because she was in a battle. It was detailing part of that scene. And as for "nothing came of it"... yeah... because it's called healing magic. I've always pictured DnD characters suffering wounds like that in every battle as swords fly and magic scorches them. And then, through healing magic, they are fine. It's part of that whole imagination thing that comes with DnD IMO.

Kore having a flipping shield to me was just another instance of showing that Kore had a load of gear and items for handling bad circumstances that would otherwise be problematic for similar characters (i.e. big tank like Paladins with Tower Shields, etc). Yes, it looks like it was lost at this point, but given he's trying to get through a dungeon crawl, it doesn't seem that strange that it was just ditched at some point given all the crap he's going through. I realize I'm very much in the minority here as people lost their minds over the shield, but just my point, for all that its not worth.

The switchbeast was part of a trap for Biscuit. It's a story line that's been seen in tons of books and movies. Throw the hero in the pit with a giant baddie. in this instance the hero managed to flip the script, give the baddie a means of escaping the pit that he's been in forever, and surprise surprise, the baddie killed some things that had trapped it in that pit, and that was much easier to eat than Biscuit. That doesn't seem that far fetched or pointless.

All that being said, as I stated earlier, based on Elli's Twitter reply, it would seem that I was mistaken and that it is simply an issue of fitment.

Piximae
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Piximae » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:53 pm

Tofu wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:39 pm Nice observation on the prophecy. I had forgotten about those or at least, they did not sit in the front of my mind.

I think its a fair interpretative but I have no idea if it is a realistic interpretation to this event. Mostly because it looks/sounds like the Golem was smashed apart by the sole remaining weapon in Kore's right hand, one of his axes. It could be a reference to BigEears not hearing something, so it is referring to his inattention not his ears being hearing apparatus.

I wonder if the prophecy "The Dwarf Cries No More" is matched with "The Ears Will not Hear"? Or even "Two Coins for a Dead Dwarf" and "Another Leg Lost".

The prophecy I do look forward to is "The Death of a Goblin, the Death of a God"... which of our goblins will become unto a God?
I have a feeling that Kore might not be in full control of his body. We know he's cursed, but who's to say he's not fully concious? I feel like he might internally be crying over how he in involuntary killing. It's fully possible he's literally being controlled by a demon. Also might be why he "can't die"

Maybe in an odd twist of date Ears sacrifices himself for Kore's redemption. Refusing the advice of his friends.

Or in just reading way too into it.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:50 am

Rooks wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:37 pm [...]
I think there is always reasons for an artist to go through the work of detailing something in a scene. Whether that point works with the audience or is carried out long term is a different thing. I felt compelled to discuss each of your points, but as most internet discussions go, I'm sure this won't sway you one way or another.

Idle was stabbed in the belly because she was in a battle. It was detailing part of that scene. And as for "nothing came of it"... yeah... because it's called healing magic. I've always pictured DnD characters suffering wounds like that in every battle as swords fly and magic scorches them. And then, through healing magic, they are fine. It's part of that whole imagination thing that comes with DnD IMO.

Kore having a flipping shield to me was just another instance of showing that Kore had a load of gear and items for handling bad circumstances that would otherwise be problematic for similar characters (i.e. big tank like Paladins with Tower Shields, etc). Yes, it looks like it was lost at this point, but given he's trying to get through a dungeon crawl, it doesn't seem that strange that it was just ditched at some point given all the crap he's going through. I realize I'm very much in the minority here as people lost their minds over the shield, but just my point, for all that its not worth.

The switchbeast was part of a trap for Biscuit. It's a story line that's been seen in tons of books and movies. Throw the hero in the pit with a giant baddie. in this instance the hero managed to flip the script, give the baddie a means of escaping the pit that he's been in forever, and surprise surprise, the baddie killed some things that had trapped it in that pit, and that was much easier to eat than Biscuit. That doesn't seem that far fetched or pointless.

All that being said, as I stated earlier, based on Elli's Twitter reply, it would seem that I was mistaken and that it is simply an issue of fitment.
Oh, don't worry about that. I find internet discussions easier if I see them as just that. Discussions. In particular for non issues like this webcomic. I enjoy them for what they are and am not here to change minds/have my own non-altered.

i think the problem with the shield was how confusing it was in a scene with lots of action and movement. It seemed very very specific for me. "Hey, take note of this. This is important." I think I called it a Chekov's gun when talking to someone.It just seemed so very important, so I expected someone to make some kind of use of it against Kore.
And at this point I think we already established Kore to like his gadgets. I do miss the crossbows though. They were just so cruel,unfair and overpowered. Far better for Kores character than the axes I think.
So, overall, I think one could just have cut the shield flip out and noone would have noticed anything missing.

But, minority? People lost their mind when the shield was lost? Now I am interested, please continue.
► Show Spoiler
For the "Barbarian goes in the pit with the bear"-trope, it was over a bit to quickly to fully serve that purpose, I think. Biscuit felled a tree with one stroke. It was so effortless for him, so the Switchbeast being there, and changing sides, really did not matter. The same thing would have happened if the Switchbeast was there or not.
Yes, granted: The Beast served as the back-stab from the Vipers. It was the incitement for Biscuit to go back. For that, it served a purpose. Not in proportion to the setup it got though.
If i would have subverted that trope, I would have the Switchbeast do a grand entrance. Large, powerful. Intimidating. And then Biscuit would kill the Switchbeast. With just one stroke of his axe. Bam. Over. Then turn to the Vipers and grin. "Oh, you've messed up now buddies". Then it would also have served a purpose to set up Biscuit as a badass, and Elli would have had the opportunity to show off the cool monster. That same thing did happen in that scene, but it was the Viper "Dies unceremoniously" who filled that role.

Then he would fight back through all of the traps and ambushes that the Vipers used on the Bugbears earlier. Or cleverly circumvent them. It was a huge point a while back how great the Vipers were at dealing with large brute force threats. Now nothing of that happened, and he just got back and murdered them all until Grem put a stop to him.

What happened now is quicker though. And I can appreciate that.

Let's see. Idle. Yeah. Sure. Those things happen in DnD. This is not DnD though. It's a webcomic. I don't think the "Alright, that was odd, but that is what happens in DnD" holds any water anymore. Back when people spoke of random encounter tables and politely waited their turn in the initiative order that would have worked. But now?
► Show Spoiler
I thought it was obvious that it was the ears that was to big from how it was depicted. I assume the golem is really resilient, save for maybe it's rune in the forehead.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:22 am

Inspired wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:16 am Step 1: Click on username
Step 2: Click "add to foe"
Step 3: Enjoy the filtered messageboard.
Yes, because the mature and responsible way to deal with your problems is to plug your virtual ears to all dissent, so that you can live forever in an echo-chamber hug-box where there's no danger of you ever learning anything, or being forced to grow and adapt to a world which doesn't revolve entirely around your selfish whims. God bless the Internet.

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:38 pm

redfeather wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:22 am
Yes, because the mature and responsible way to deal with your problems is to plug your virtual ears to all dissent, so that you can live forever in an echo-chamber hug-box where there's no danger of you ever learning anything, or being forced to grow and adapt to a world which doesn't revolve entirely around your selfish whims. God bless the Internet.
Yep, topic derailing again :) Reply at that:
► Show Spoiler
Back on topic:
Piximae wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:53 pm I have a feeling that Kore might not be in full control of his body. We know he's cursed, but who's to say he's not fully concious? I feel like he might internally be crying over how he in involuntary killing. It's fully possible he's literally being controlled by a demon. Also might be why he "can't die"
You mean something like Durkon had in the Order of the Stick comic? But instead of vampiric posession it's a demon this time?

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:02 am

redfeather wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:22 am
I mean I suppose the mod team could always just start banning people for being trolls ruining the experience of the vast majority of other users. You are aware that option is available to us, right? Because frankly the constant passive-aggressive jabs at everyday users for trying to discuss the comic, enjoy the forum or disagreeing with people are getting old fast.

As much as I adore freedom of speech and as much as I have tried to foster it in this community, we are rapidly approaching the point where we are going to start taking action against users who go out of their way to ruin the experience for other forum members by being nothing but negative and argumentative. If you have a critique of the comic, great, bring it up and discuss it politely, but stop shouting down other users. Don't say I didn't warn you.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:40 am

SeeAMoose wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:02 am As much as I adore freedom of speech and as much as I have tried to foster it in this community, we are rapidly approaching the point where we are going to start taking action against users who go out of their way to ruin the experience for other forum members by being nothing but negative and argumentative. If you have a critique of the comic, great, bring it up and discuss it politely, but stop shouting down other users. Don't say I didn't warn you.
I am not "shouting down" anyone. I am admonishing those who advocate a course of action which I consider ill-advised, to suggest that they stop directing others to do so something which isn't going to help anyone. It's the same thing I would do if someone told a kid to go play in traffic; I wouldn't trust myself to tell the kid anything, since I'm not good with children, but I would absolutely tell the other adult "You should not be telling children that." If you want to ban me for trying to help improve the community, then tell me now and I'll stop posting completely, so that the ban itself won't be required. I'll just mentally consider this community utterly closed to myself, the same as any other community which cares more about people's shallow, selfish feelings and self-esteem, than their actual health or maturity or other such tangible benefits.

Derail response to Inspired:
► Show Spoiler
You mean something like Durkon had in the Order of the Stick comic? But instead of vampiric posession it's a demon this time?
Except of course that Kore has been this way for years if not centuries, so we can probably rule out a Crowning Moment of Awesome from the real Kore who's trapped inside the demon's head. Much more likely, the real Kore is the one who has been warped into something that *resembles* a demon, but is still absolutely himself. That version's more horiffic anyway, and thus makes better drama.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:52 pm

redfeather wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:40 am Except of course that Kore has been this way for years if not centuries, so we can probably rule out a Crowning Moment of Awesome from the real Kore who's trapped inside the demon's head. Much more likely, the real Kore is the one who has been warped into something that *resembles* a demon, but is still absolutely himself. That version's more horiffic anyway, and thus makes better drama.
Agreed. I also think that version is better. It's not much of a curse otherwise. More of a possession. He might be forced, but I think he is indeed the agent in this.

We all know by now what spoilers mean in this thread. Off topic below.
► Show Spoiler