D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Kryz perks up at Saca's suggestion and tries not to look too interested.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 pm

"Fair enough. I probably wouldn't trust me either. Ah well, worth a try I guess! What time are we up in the morning then? Where do we get your cart?"

At this, Sildar can't help but speak up. Has anyone ever told you that you're lousy at making people trust you? he says with a smile. Gundren gives him a terse look and replies to Kryz. The cart will be delivered to this inn at sunrise. I cannot, of course, control when you leave, so that will be up to you as a group, but I do expect you to have a promt start.

"So, the poster said lodging for the night will be provided. I'm assuming that also includes an evening meal and a nightcap, for sure? You wouldn't want the people guarding and transporting your precious cargo to start the first leg of the journey hungry and tired because they couldn't sleep due to aching bellies and minds un-soothed by the sweet caress of beer, right?"

Dinner will be provided with the room. Refreshments will be provided too, within reason. While I appreciate the taste and feeling of a good mug of beer as much as the next dwarf, I also know how it can dull the senses and weaken the mind the next morning.

"Oh, and what beasts of burden are we talking about?" she asks, her interest piqued.

Gundren looks taken aback at the question. Um... a pair of oxen, I believe. Perhaps a pair of carthorses. I didn't bother to check. Does it matter?

"If we happen to run into any bandits or other danger and manage to ... make the road a bit safer in the process, would we possibly get some sort of bonus?"

Let's first see if you make it to Phandelver safely before you start negotiating any bonuses.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:31 pm

Pleased others are asking the hard question she pulls over an empty chair and sits at Gundrun's table absently snagging Sildar's 'abandoned' soup while she listens and looks at the map.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:07 am

The cart will be delivered to this inn at sunrise. I cannot, of course, control when you leave, so that will be up to you as a group, but I do expect you to have a promt start.
At this point, Saca turns to face the others in the group. "Does anyone have other plans than to leave at sunrise, after the cart was handed to us? If so, tell me now, please."

Dinner will be provided with the room. Refreshments will be provided too, within reason. While I appreciate the taste and feeling of a good mug of beer as much as the next dwarf, I also know how it can dull the senses and weaken the mind the next morning.

"Why thank you kindly for your generosity." Saca says in reply to Gundren, flashing another smile at him, this time a grateful one, but not any less pleasant than the last one. "And naturally, I wasn't planning to drink myself senseless."

Um... a pair of oxen, I believe. Perhaps a pair of carthorses. I didn't bother to check. Does it matter?

"Well, of course it matters. An ox is strong, but slow. It also is harder to scare and will rarely be attempted to be stolen, which can both be helpful. A horse is much faster - yes, even a widely built cart horse - but easier to startle and has more temperament to begin with. More intelligence, too. And will attract more horse thieves, naturally. The whole journey will be different, depending on which beasts of burden you got us." Saca patiently explains.

Let's first see if you make it to Phandelver safely before you start negotiating any bonuses.

"Well, I guess I shall not be overly motivated to find 'permanent solutions' to any dangers I encounter then." Saca says, frowning a bit.
She then leans over to the bodyguard Sildar and asks quietly "Does your boss always struggle at motivating people to do their best like this, or was this a flunk just now? I mean even a simple 'yes' would have obligated him to nothing - as I said possibly - and yet kept me striving to do my best."
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 am

Aimee takes a slurp of soup and smiles warmly at Saca as she she asks about other plans and shakes her head, spilling some soup on the table. She mumbles quietly,

"Good soup!"

She leans in as Saca whispers to Sildar so she can hear too!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:33 am

Kryz watches Aimee help herself to the food and his stomach growls.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:07 am

Balin observes the others carefully:
Insight: 1d20+4 = [16] = 20
He gives Kryz a steady look, sighs, and gestures to him sit down.
"You'll pay me back in kind when we get there, young dragonborn."
He orders soup and bread for them both, beer for himself, milk for the dragonborn. He gives Kryz an ironic look. "Beer when you're older. We wouldn't want to stunt your growth."

(( Begars can't be choosers. If Kryz wants a beer, he's going to have to cough for it! :chuckle: ))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:49 am

Kryz grins. "Thanks, old man!

Kryz throws himself on the bread and soup and milk with considerable enthusiasm, drinking the soup down straight from the bowl. He finishes quite quickly and burps happily.

"Well that filled a hole. Thanks, Balin. I'll get you back."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:57 am

Aimee wonders if Kryz got a better soup than hers. She looks around for her bread and milk.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 pm

"Well, of course it matters. An ox is strong, but slow. It also is harder to scare and will rarely be attempted to be stolen, which can both be helpful. A horse is much faster - yes, even a widely built cart horse - but easier to startle and has more temperament to begin with. More intelligence, too. And will attract more horse thieves, naturally. The whole journey will be different, depending on which beasts of burden you got us."

Unfortunately, that will be a discovery you must make tomorrow morning. I do not know what they will provide you.

"Well, I guess I shall not be overly motivated to find 'permanent solutions' to any dangers I encounter then."

Gundren listens to Saca's complain with a stone face, but upon his hearing her whisper to Sildar, annoyance flashes across his face. Even Sildar's normally cheerful visage seems more awkward and uncomfortable. I am not paying you, Lady Saca, for "permanent solutions". I am paying you for the safe delivery of my gear. As long as the cart is delivered safely to the destination in Phandelver, I will be satisfied with any solutions to problems you may have on the road, permanent or otherwise.

At this, Balin studies Gundren and his guard with a keen eye. He can tell that Gundren is not normally the one going to do field work. His fine clothes and a somewhat concealed bulge around the waist suggest a sedentary lifestyle, perhaps of a successful business man or a noble. And while his words and attitude may seem harsh, Balin thinks this might be more to do with stress than malice, and the amount of gold spent on them seem to suggest good treatment of his workers. (Afterall, how many jobs provide a place to sleep and food for the road!)

The comfortable attitude between Sildar and Gundren would suggest they have worked together for a while. While the guard seems to be easy-going and easily amused, he would be a force to be reckoned with in a fight. Either way, neither of the party's new employers seem to come off as untrustworthy, or intending malice in any way. Simply a businessman wanting some protection for the gear that will help him in his first visit to an unfamiliar site.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Balin looks at Gundren and asks "Anything in the cargo that requires special handling or anything perishable?"

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:51 pm

No, nothing that should need any special handling. Anything breakable is packaged in hay to protect it, the rest is food that will not spoil, or things that shouldn't be broken by a normal cart-ride.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Balin would notice a momentary twinge of annoyance cross his face at being denied a "grown up" drink, but is clearly hungry and grateful for the kind gesture.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Saca shudders visibly at being called a "Lady" by Gundren but otherwise lets it slide.

A look of understanding dawns on her face, when she notices the annoyance in her future employer's voice and words. "Apologies, I'm still kind of used to have people ignore what I say, more often than not, and thus not to having to reign in my tongue. It's not a habit you shed easily." she explains both to Gundren as well as Sildar.
"But in any case, I would say that if you want to keep conducting business in that area, permanent solutions to dangers or problems will only benefit you. However, that is still -your- decision, naturally, so suit yourself." she adds towards Gundren with another smile, though it is slightly sheepish.

Since she's not one to miss out on a free meal, she waves a staff member over to order a simple, yet filling (filling as in sates the hunger, not making her belly bloated) dish and another mug of beer. Besides, when her mouth is already full, it's so much harder to cram her foot in there, too.

Saca seems good natured, but ... unpolished, especially concerning social norms. Balin can't decide if she's really interested in doing this job well, or if she's just in for the money, the 'travel expenses', the thrill, etc. It is quite obvious that she is very invested in the matter of good beer, and even takes its quality quite personal, especially if it's bad.
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:41 am

Aimee tells the waiter Saca brings over to get her the same thing as Saca but instead asks for watered wine, mostly content to just smile around the table and listen to the conversations. She does watch Kryz eat a bit before asking,

"Hey, Kryz! Can you go like this for a second?" She opens her mouth widely and tilts her head back (like at a dentist office). If he complies she will lean in to check out his teeth, a huge grin on her face.
----
Aimee is hard to read under what appears to be genuine happiness with, well, everything. She is clearly inexperienced with the world outside of whatever this Academy was and her motivation for wanting to go on this supply run isn't clear. While she seems distractable, maybe due to the unfamiliar surroundings, she is clearly able to focus when she wants and then whatever it is gets her full attention until she is satisfied.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Kryz looks suspicious.

"Whyyyy?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:32 pm

"Well, I would really like to see all your teeth! At the Academy they wouldn't let me ask any of the dragonborn that visited but you're here and not there and they kicked me out already so... Like this."

She shows Kryz what she wants again and explains with her mouth open and head hanging back,

"Ya gus ah ga ew 'is."

((I actually leaned back and did it to figure out what it would sound like to say "You just have got to do this" like that. Realism.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 pm

((then how could I refuse?))

"All right, but don't mess with me. I sneeze sparks if I get a fright."

Kryz raises an eyebrow, but obliges although he's still suspicious.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Sildar stands to get a better look inside the maw of the dragonborn, and even Gundren straightens up, trying to get a slightly better angle without making it obvious. Then he realizes what he's doing and snaps back down. Anyway, we are on a tight schedule. Sildar and I are leaving tonight to get there as soon as possible. If there are no other questions, we must go.

After answering any last-minute questions, Gundren stands and walks towards the door. Sildar turns to the group at the table. Hey guys. I know that Gundren seems a little... tense here, he glances at Saca, but he really is a good guy. He always pays his employees well, and he's a good businessman. It's just this job... It's making him a lot more nervous than usual. Even I don't have all the details. All he keeps saying is that it's going to be big. Don't judge him badly if he offended you tonight. This isn't who he usually is.

At that, Gundren shows some of that "tense" behavior. Sildar! It's time to go. I'm paying you to protect me, not to gab with the guards!

Yes, sir! Coming! At that, the party sees Gundren and Sildar leave the inn and lead two horses towards the main road through the town. Shorly after, the wait staff offers beer and food to any that haven't gotten some yet.
► Show Spoiler

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:17 pm

(( So what time is it? Is it early evening , or starting to get dark? As far as that goes, what time of the year is it? If it's early enough, Balin may go do a little shopping before turning in.))

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:21 pm

It's dusk, and I'll say early spring for the time of year. Most shops would be closed, but in a big city like this, there would no doubt be some still open.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 am

Aimee leans in to take a look at Kryz's teeth and seems to be counting and humming happily. After about 10 seconds she leans back and says with a pleased grin,

"Omnivore all around looks like! Ha! Verak owes me three days of cleaning dishes at the...ah right. Still good information to have. Thank you! You said something about sparks when you're scared?"

Her eyes narrow and she sucks on her lower lip contemplating something.

"You scare easily?"
---
As Sildar and Gundrun go she waves them off and says,

"See you soon!"

She finishes her meal and gives everyone at the table a warm smile and rises,

"I am beat! It was wonderful meeting you and I will see you tomorrow, bright and early!"

She will then secure herself a room, loudly and jovially. As she wonders at the luxury of her own room she pulls a thick blue black tome from her robes before disappearing to wherever her room is.

((She is on a early to bed, early to rise schedule. She is going to be up well before dawn.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:41 am

"You scare easily?"

"Pfffft! No!"
Kryz looks mock offended for a moment then can't hold back this easy smile any more and laughs.

"But I've worked with enough jokers to know a few sparks stops folk messing with me too hard. ... It's also something fun to do to spook the new guys!"

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:09 pm

"Bye Gundren and Sildar. Have a safe trip!"

Saca can't help but find herself amused by Aimee and Kryz. Since Aimee is going to bed so soon, she looks over to the blue creature and asks him jovially: "Why don't you tell me a little bit more about your time at sea, if you please? What kind of paint/dye did they use to make the orange markings on you, for example?"
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Balin stands up abruptly. " If you'll pardon me, I need a few more supplies from town." He then heads out to see if he can find a sutler who is still open.
Last edited by Lurks_In_Shadows on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.