Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12782
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:26 am

((Lurn's going at the same time, yeah. Since everybody else is going to be getting Spider Climb there's no need for Guidance. Though he and Kroshav could both do with it, apparently.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4559

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:43 am

Lurn waits until Jolly is clear before starting down makes it more than half way before a strong gust tears down the Cut and catches his heavy, but not too heavy, pack. He does his best to hold on but doesn't quite manage as he releases the thick root he is holding, he manages a desperate grab along the wall as he falls backwards but doesn't find anything that can support his weight.

Dex save: 1D20+1 = [11]+1 = 12


He lands awkwardly and painfully on his backpack before striking his head on the ground. Things blur a moment and then come, painfully, back into focus and Lurn is pretty sure he bit through his tongue.

Fall damage: 2D6 = [6, 5] = 11


He doesn't call out during the short fall and both Jolly and Kroshav are focused ahead, Kroshav just beginning his climb.

((Ouch, guessing he is going to pick himself up and stumble across?))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 17970

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:05 am

thinkslogically wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:38 am
While Jaq and hope wait for holy to get across, Ves starts tying three ropes together, and then tying a harness loop around Jaqs waist.

"Just in case. Make sure and secure that when you're across."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2295
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:07 am

"You got it, Ves. Good idea."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16925
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:20 am

Rodgeir wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:42 am
((Oh and looks like you posted over in Sundered way about Jaq as well Thinks.))
((Doh! Thanks! That should be Jaq and Joe too (not hope, obvs))

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4559

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 am

((Can I get that dex save from Kroshav?))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 17970

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:20 am

((Oops, missed the whole second half of the last page of posts!))

DEX save: 1D20 = [14] = 14
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4559

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:50 pm

Jolly's warning gives Kroshav just enough time to take a big step back and to the side as several hundred pounds of ravine wall falls inches from his snout. Taking an extra step back he looks over and is momentarily disoriented by Jolly standing sideways on the wall, dust blowing around him. Jolly, a look of concern on his face, asks,

"Ya okay Kroshav?"

((New athletics roll from Kroshav if he doesn't plan to stay in the ravine now.))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 17970

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:56 pm

"Yeah, thanks for the warning... Go, I'm coming!"

Athletics: 1D20+7 = [15]+7 = 22


((Once he makes it up, he'll toss a rope down to give the others a power assist once they reach this far side.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4559

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Jolly waits for a few moments to make sure Kroshav is okay and is doing well on his climb before jogging up the wall. Once at the top he waves back to those waiting on the other side.

Kroshav moves 20ft to the side and scales the wall with almost no effort, this section being filled with a thick roots nearly the entire way up. As he reaches the top Jolly reaches down and helps him over. Turning they both watch as Lurn stumble runs to stand below them as Kroshav tosses a rope down to him. Taking hold of the rope the battered firbolg half climbs, half is pulled up by Kroshav and Jolly.

The roar up the ravine does seem closer, but could just be the wind blowing harder too.

((Okay, only Jaq and Joe left. They just going to run across?

Going to say the entire Jolly, Lurn, Kroshav crossing took two minutes.))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12782
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Lurn does indeed pick himself up and head straight for the climb. While painful, the fall was hardly something the durable giant-kin would consider serious. Not really even worth healing himself. With the help from the two at the top, Lurn hauls himself up, muttering to himself,"No wonder there would have been some good to stabbing myself, would have stopped us from making this mad dash. I pray Jaq is able to cross before the water becomes too strong, else he will be stranded... And I doubt we have enough ropes to form a stable guideline for crossing a deadly river this wide."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16925
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:39 pm

((Send Jaq with spider climb and Joe's pack, I can fly and carry Joe, I think. Can someone check the maths on that for me? I'm swamped irl right now...))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12782
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:09 pm

((Ves could carry Joe and her pack both. Joe is stupidly light.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16770
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:20 pm

(Joe is a smul gurl, and if she can get by with less casting she will. So she’ll concentrate spiderclimb on Jaq.)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16925
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:00 pm

((great! One less thing to worry about with this impending flood...))

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2295
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:04 pm

Jaq spiderclimbs down as fast as he can and then dashes over to the other side!

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4559

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:53 pm

Once the spell is cast Jaq steps over the edge and feels an odd sense of vertigo as up and down reorient themselves. After taking a few hesitating steps he begins running quickly down to the floor and again needs to take a moment to reorient as he steps from the wall. Moving quickly he risks a glance up the ravine and is pretty sure that he can see something in the distance. Pausing at the wall up he lifts a leg like he would to climb stairs and places it on the crumbling soil. For a moment he is sure he is about to fall backwards before again finding his balance and running up the wall to the waiting trio.

Jolly stands squinting to the northeast up the ravine.

"Something's coming," he points, "it's moving but dunno how fast. Pretty fast though."

Below in the ravine three deer run past at full speed to the southwest as a bolt of lightning flashes overhead followed nearly immediately by thunder.

((Ves and Joe left!))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12782
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:35 am

"The water's not far off, then." Facing the remaining two, Lurn waves his hands over his head and shouts, hoping they can hear him clearly, "It's coming! There's little time left!"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16925
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:25 pm

"Ready?" Assuming Joe is ok with being carried, Ves ties the rope around Joe's waist and hooks her arms under Joe's as well to lift the gnome off the ground.

"Here we go."

She uses her Aasimar flight for the day and flies across to the others.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16770
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:25 pm

(I didn’t know Joe was a gnome!)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4559

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Ves closes her eyes after getting grip on Joe feels the light flow through at her summoning. Opening her eyes she feel her shimmering wings of light slowly moving, headless of the winds. Leaping forward she snatches an unknown gnome from the ground glides effortlessly across the empty space below her carrying the little halfling.

To those watching it is hard not to see their guide as some sort of angel, a radiant creature made even brighter by the darkness of the storm behind her. Landing in front of the rest of the party she lowers Joe to the ground. Jolly involuntarily takes a step back from her and averts his eyes to look up the ravine.

((You got 8 more rounds of flight, you going to do anything else with them?))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 17970

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 pm

((Thinks is chronically bad at keeping the small races distinct from one another!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4559

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm

((Happens to the best of us.

Everyone is across, what's the plan now? The side of the Cut is harder to transverse than walking on the bottom, pretty much like being in the forest as normal speed wise. Large thunderstorm a short distance away. Nearly dinner time.

What's everyone doing?))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12782
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:26 pm

"We made that mad dash to get free of the hobs, right? We should make some distance from the ravine before camping down. If they get back here we don't want them to see us camping right here."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16925
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:28 pm

((nah, Ves is a practical sort and wouldn't waste it. So unless someone forget their pack on the far side and she has to go back for it, shell just end the effect. Also yes, apparently I'm gnome/halfling racist... :S ))

Ves looks up the ravine, and at the sky.

"This rain'll cover our tracks better than we could have hoped for, but we want to find somewhere to camp soon. Its going to be an uncomfortable night.

Ves leads the group on a bit towards higher ground if she can, looking for a dryish place to stop and set up camp for the night.

Survival: 1D20+5 = [16]+5 = 21

Post Reply