TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

22 August 2019 GAP on the attack

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:36 am

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: 22 August 2019 GAP on the attack

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:37 am

He's high level. Something like that will be an irritant. It'll take more than that to bring him down.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

GuessesWildly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by GuessesWildly » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:41 am

Can anyone give me a quick reminder of what the items fumbles is holding do? He is obviously planning something but I don't get what's happening in his panels.

Panando
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Panando » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:51 am

It's the potion of levitation that when applied to an item grants the user the ability to levitate (something like that), there was a long argument between the goblins over what exactly constitutes "levitation" so we don't know exactly what the effect will be.

His staff has the ability to destroy magical ropes/bindings.

His moustache turns him into Kickasso and was revamped by Minmax.

sshipway
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by sshipway » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:59 am

If Fumbles' staff breaks magical bindings, what would happen if he used it on Kore? Would it free all those chained souls? Possibly even free Kore's soul?

Dendr
Mutters to Themself

Post by Dendr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:46 am

GuessesWildly wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:41 amCan anyone give me a quick reminder of what the items fumbles is holding do?
Here he got them
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/08242015-2

Here he identified potion:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04032017-2

And here, staff:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-19

Back to the newest page... Thus, will moustache be glowing now?

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:49 am

Dendr wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:46 am
GuessesWildly wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:41 amCan anyone give me a quick reminder of what the items fumbles is holding do?
Here he got them

And here, staff:

Oh, it better be. It better engulf his face in GLORIOUS (non-heat-producing) flames. I'm just a bit worried about the 'bursts' of levitation it grants. What does that entail?

And while I understand we're following tabletop rules here, a damn sword stuck down your neck almost so much to the hilt that I didn't even see it at first glance should do more than inconvenience you...

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:03 am

TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:49 am
Here he got them

And here, staff:

Oh, it better be. It better engulf his face in GLORIOUS (non-heat-producing) flames. I'm just a bit worried about the 'bursts' of levitation it grants. What does that entail?

And while I understand we're following tabletop rules here, a damn sword stuck down your neck almost so much to the hilt that I didn't even see it at first glance should do more than inconvenience you...
Biscuit had two blades jammed into really bad spots.

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/08282012
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 am

Generic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:03 am
Here he got them

And here, staff:

Ouch, yeah, ok. I'll leave it be. Atleast Kore DID lose his magic effect due to the stabbing, so it's having some profound effect on him.

Also, I just reread the page and noticed Thaco's blatant misdirection in the very first panel. "You go low, I go high" MY ASS!

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:34 am

TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 am

Ouch, yeah, ok. I'll leave it be. Atleast Kore DID lose his magic effect due to the stabbing, so it's having some profound effect on him.

Also, I just reread the page and noticed Thaco's blatant misdirection in the very first panel. "You go low, I go high" MY ASS!
I was confused about that as well. Is this some revolt from Complains that Thaco foresaw perfectly?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:51 am

Since Thaco can see about one round into the future, I guess he had to see it coming.
It may also be an inside-joke between father and son.

Also, Fumbles is finally going to levitate.
Pity, he did not practice it beforehand.
Go, Vorpal!

BTW [edit]:
two tweets related to this page:
sketch of lower row (in the background)
Cheyenne had to reshade something three times
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Furmanda
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Furmanda » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:28 am

sshipway wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:59 am If Fumbles' staff breaks magical bindings, what would happen if he used it on Kore? Would it free all those chained souls? Possibly even free Kore's soul?
My thoughts exactly seeing him look at the staff in this page (if it releases the souls, perhaps they attack him or it inconveniences him/his power gets nerfed, it would be too easy if it outright killed him).

It never occured to me before, weird.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Generic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:34 am
TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 am

I was confused about that as well. Is this some revolt from Complains that Thaco foresaw perfectly?
As Krulle said, it's either Thaco seeing into the future and knowing what was going to happen, or a known tactic between the two to always announce opposite of what they want to do in battle. It might also just be Thaco saying whatever to distract Kore and Complains going "Yeah yeah old man, I know you can see into the future"

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:37 pm

More info on that fro Ellipsis herself:
https://twitter.com/EllipsisGoblins/status/1164613992414736384 wrote:
https://twitter.com/bejotape/status/1164606362401288193 wrote: Thaco says he's going high, but end up sliding on the floor. Was that intentional? Did I got it wrong?
That was the Father/Son duo deliberately misleading Kore. If not for that maneuver, Thaco would be in negative hit points right now. ☺️
Does not explain how the two coordinated this.
Since I searched for an earlier instance of such a misleading tactic, and did not find it, I feard I missed a rference in my quick and dirty search. Since Ellipsis doesn't refer to a previous comic, I do not seem to have missed such a reference.

But Kore failed his bluff check. :)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:48 am

I need a reference for how much damage a high level pc is supposed to soak up before going down. I know it's a lot. Biscuit nosold a dagger in his subclavian veins, and a sabre only bothered him.
We saw Goblin Slayer bite it, but I think he must have been intermediate level at most.
So, how close is Kore to going down? Or rather, how much is he expected to take before his altered state comes into play? How far has the goblins to go before defeating him?

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:18 am

sshipway wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:59 am If Fumbles' staff breaks magical bindings, what would happen if he used it on Kore? Would it free all those chained souls? Possibly even free Kore's soul?
If you look closely, you will notice, and that's been consistent since he lost his helmet, that his head (and perhaps all of him) literally consists of these soul representations. Especially in panel 6, you can see that the head below is a hollow space. And we know now that this isn't part of his IME (safe if the IME in panel 6 should have been forgotten).

I think that something like that is no coincidence with Elli.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:00 am

The levitation discussion wasn't so much an argument as clarifying the rules. Levitation let's you go up or down at will, but if you want to move in any other direction, you must provide your own propulsion.

I don't think the staff would work on Kore, but that's an interesting thought.

Elli said on Twitter that Thaco announcing the plan and then doing the opposite was a practiced tactic.

Kore said he's immortal. There's a good case to be made for it. Not only has he survived immense damage, he's apparently thousands of years old (the last of the Greyhill paladins, the group that forged the Axe of Prissan), and if you look at his head now it seems to be translucent between the tiny trapped faces. It's some curse or the power of The Sacred or something that's keeping him alive. His equipment is getting shredded, and he's been slowed down, but I think he's unstoppable by conventional means. Elli has said in the livestream that the fissure in his head is a portal to Hell.

But what would happen if Fumbles put the mustache on Kore and then willed him to float?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 am

An IME represents your soul/state of mind, but isn't it. When it lights up you're seeing a photo, not a window (if that makes sense).

And if it does work then it will be such BS that this one dungeon has all of the required tools to severely injure Kore with only one cleric fought beforehand. Magic staff that coincidentally frees his souls, magic VR golem only useful if a boss battle's coming up, long drop that leads to another part of the dungeon just on the off chance you drop a big beastie in it.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:59 am

Glemp wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 am
An IME represents your soul/state of mind, but isn't it. When it lights up you're seeing a photo, not a window (if that makes sense).

And if it does work then it will be such BS that this one dungeon has all of the required tools to severely injure Kore with only one cleric fought beforehand. Magic staff that coincidentally frees his souls, magic VR golem only useful if a boss battle's coming up, long drop that leads to another part of the dungeon just on the off chance you drop a big beastie in it.
I interpreted it as the faces that seems to make up most of his body.

GuessesWildly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by GuessesWildly » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:38 am

Glemp wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 am it will be such BS that this one dungeon has all of the required tools to severely injure Kore
OR maybe it's on purpose. Someone or something knew Kore would be here, fighting a group of goblins, and if the goblins had just enough of an edge, they would have a chance to beat him.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:54 am

WearsHats wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:00 am Elli has said in the livestream that the fissure in his head is a portal to Hell.
WHAT? Such an immense spoiler? In a live stream?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Glemp wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 am

Right. But it's not just the IME. Looking at Kore's face (and, I believe, the rest of his body) it seems the souls of his victims (or something about them) are indeed magically bound to him. Still seems unlikely the staff would be able to do anything about that, though. Especially since, looking back at the identification text, it specifically says it can free the wielder of the staff.
Changes_everything wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:54 am
WearsHats wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:00 am Elli has said in the livestream that the fissure in his head is a portal to Hell.
WHAT? Such an immense spoiler? In a live stream?
It was around the time of the breakdown, so she might have said more than she otherwise would. She was drawing Kore's head and gave us some information about it. It's been mentioned on the forums a couple of times before. I'm not sure how much of a spoiler it is. Both because people already guessed that just from looking at it and because we don't know what part that might play in the story. (I've got a guess. But other forumites weren't so sure I was right. We'll see.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 pm

I agree. I don't think there is any lack of portals to hell at the moment. They seem to be everywhere. Kore having one in his head is not really a big deal at this point.

Furmanda
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Furmanda » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:48 am

He could still serve as a device for transporting the axe of prisan back to hell, or whatever is needed to save the world.
His decay is the same effect as the other corruption observed in the setting (and the comic's frame), I guess.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:01 am

Yes. But portals to hell has been established and are (currently) ubiquitous. The Butler having a gun in a Poirot story could be a spoiler. Schwartzenegger having a gun is not much of a spoiler, even if that gun comes into heavy use.

Anyways. Spoilers are in the eye of the beholder and I will not try to tell anyone they are wrong in this regard.

On a current page related note: Complains hand is growing at an alarming rate I think.