1 September 2019: Flurry of Blows

Discuss the comic here!
Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Re: 1 September 2019: Flurry of Blows

Post by Shardstorm » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:49 pm

I'm not sure in 3/3.5, but in 5th Edition D&D you can also be limited by resources. If Resurrection magic requires some crazy resource, say 10,000 souls, then it is limited by that as well.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

RayRay
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by RayRay » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:03 am

Every time I look at the page: Since when is Fumbles actually a genius? Did he pass his insta-fail stage of life and enter the insta-win one?

Dendr
Mutters to Themself

Post by Dendr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:37 am

Thaco was wondering about it too... let me see... 2.5 years ago:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/02272017-2

Korppis
Remains Silent

Post by Korppis » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:05 am

Even by vanilla D&D rules you need diamonds worth of 10000gb to cast Resurrection spell.
5000gp for Raise Dead.

It is quite possible that Dellyn & SC used money they get from adventuring to help them to raise on their positions and easy living on Brassmoon City and that is more they can pile up even together.

Also, it is likely lots of more than GAP or MinMax and Forgath have ever seen.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 am

Kor :freaky: :freaky: :freaky: :freaky: :freaky: :freaky: :freaky: :freaky: :weep: :weep: :weep: :freaky: ppis wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:05 am Even by vanilla D&D rules you need diamonds worth of 10000gb to cast Resurrection spell.
5000gp for Raise Dead.

It is quite possible that Dellyn & SC used money they get from adventuring to help them to raise on their positions and easy living on Brassmoon City and that is more they can pile up even together.

Also, it is likely lots of more than GAP or MinMax and Forgath have ever seen.
Comic is probably set post peak diamonds. I can't remember seeing any diamonds, despite it being a common material requirement for spells. :s
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 pm

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:50 am

Glemp wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 pm Raise Dead is only 500gp: https://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/raise-dead
That's 5e. Revivify is only 300gp of Diamond's in 5th. But I'm given to understand it was more expensive in older editions.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Korppis
Remains Silent

Post by Korppis » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:10 am

When Goblins started more than 10 years ago D&D was still using 3.5e rules where resurrection and raise dead used shtload of diamonds. IIRC when 4e came out Ellips stated that she wouldn't be updating setting for the new ruleset. This seems to be case for the 5e too.
F.ex Kore's paladin status would not be issue in 5e where paladins can have any alingment.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:38 pm

On special request of fans on twitter (link), Ellipsis tweeted a gift, the last panel in HD, for your use as background or similar:
https://twitter.com/EllipsisGoblins/status/1170073563220434944 wrote:By popular demand, here's that SVK panel. I removed the text, the hell strands in the gutters and the top of Kore's head, at the bottom. Please consider becoming a Patron, for ongoing access like this to all the pages. 💜 https://patreon.com/Goblins
(3$ per month gives HD images access, see here or Patreon)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WilliamPaul
Remains Silent

Post by WilliamPaul » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Dude is going to inform kore that "monster" can be holy . Kickasso has massive skills from imprints.

LivesOnce
Remains Silent

Post by LivesOnce » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 am

With all the diligence you guys put in analysing the comics... How did everyone miss the demon face just in frame at the bottom left of Vorpal's panel?
:paranoia:

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:07 pm

LivesOnce wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 am With all the diligence you guys put in analysing the comics... How did everyone miss the demon face just in frame at the bottom left of Vorpal's panel?
:paranoia:
It's been mentioned. In a quote perhaps, but mentioned none the less.

Welcome to the forums. :lol:

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 am

That's the top of Kore's head, as mentioned in the twitter quote I gave earlier. It just shows how clsoe to being a demon Kore is.
Seing the camera angle, Elli could've done without, but it highlights that Kore's head really is split in a left and right half.
That there may not be much left of his brain.

But in D&D bodies are just sacks of HP, it doesn't seem to influence the characters much.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:06 am

"That upstairs more ahead of me than I had thought it would be, and is not like to have much earth brain."

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Krulle wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 am That's the top of Kore's head, [...]
Seing the camera angle, Elli could've done without, but it highlights that Kore's head really is split in a left and right half.
[...]
It also helps locating Vorpal in space, now we have a rough idea how close he is and how high he is above the ground, or specifically, Kore (to make observations whether he is within range of melee attacks, etc.).

If there were no visual anchors to his position (like on the "cleaned wallpaper"), the following actions might start out a bit confusing, as it would take us time to figure out "how did they get there where they currently are". (And given the track record of nitpicky people around here for action scenes, I'd say it's not worth the hassle... :P :D )
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 pm

Inspired wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:18 pm
Krulle wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 am That's the top of Kore's head, [...]
[...]
It also helps locating Vorpal in space, now we have a rough idea how close he is and how high he is above the ground, or specifically, Kore (to make observations whether he is within range of melee attacks, etc.).

If there were no visual anchors to his position (like on the "cleaned wallpaper"), the following actions might start out a bit confusing, as it would take us time to figure out "how did they get there where they currently are". (And given the track record of nitpicky people around here for action scenes, I'd say it's not worth the hassle... :P :D )
My thoughts exactly. We're a difficult lot, us forumdwelling goblins: "ooooh, there's no point of referenceeeee, how hiiiiigh is he, how far away from Korrreeeeee, weeeei weeiiiiii!!" I kid, I've also made some remarks about unclear battle sequences, So I'm very happy to know "where" this encounter will start. I would've loves just a centimer or five more of Korre's head, though, just a tiny bit more to make it clear what it is.

Other than that, I'm impatiently waiting to see how this turns out! We're already almost two weeks further!! The suspense, it's killing me (and those goblins on the floor with axes in their chests...)

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:00 am

I for one think that characters location and direction is very important in an action scene. You nitpick details. Those are not details. Those are the broad strokes.

This case is great. Fumbles is a bit up, and approached Kore from behind. He is not to far away. He's still got Kores attention. I know the stakes, everyone's location, state and fokus. Everything important is clear and center frame. Last frame with Kores head poking up is good enough to be half a page I think.
Last edited by Generic on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:03 am

Well, if you really want to know a tad more, on twitter he posted two sketches of panels of the upcoming page,
and then there's Patreon, of course.

Argh Blargle
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Argh Blargle » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:12 am

"Señor Vorpal Kickass'O"

Words cannot adequately express how much I want to see Kore get his ass kicko'ed.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 am

Argh Blargle wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:12 am "Señor Vorpal Kickass'O"

Words cannot adequately express how much I want to see Kore get his ass kicko'ed.
Ditto. I want to see them(or at least some of them), prepare to go to hell, instead of running from Kore.

RayRay
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by RayRay » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:11 am

Dendr wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:37 am Thaco was wondering about it too... let me see... 2.5 years ago:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/02272017-2
I meant, in decision-making. Psychology is a valid skill but it can only go so far in battle.
Although he might fail terribly when the next page is out, ant then the party is doomed. :shrug:

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:20 am

A TPK at this point would be cool, yes. They die now, due to one final fumble of epic proportions, perhaps taking Kore with them. MinMax, Kin, Saves, Dies and Grem team up to finish the job and take the axe to Hell. I'm game!

Wanderl0st
Remains Silent

Post by Wanderl0st » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:11 pm

I'm a bit new, and just now noticing this, but what's that robe fumbles has on? I looked back through the comic and it's definitely a magic item, since it bursts into flames here, but i cant find where he gets it.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:22 pm

Krulle wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:01 am
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Where did that black cloak come from? I don't recall seeing it in the loot pile"
ImageImage
[edit](sorry, cannot get the second image url on this device, pulled the one shown from the Shit... G:AR thread....)edited in the first image[/edit]

So, not much info about the Shadowflame cloak, if it even does the same in G:AR and the comic...
Not easy to tag and remember all the stuff from the Wall of Loot, or the Wall of Identification....

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:56 am

Wanderl0st wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:11 pm I'm a bit new, and just now noticing this, but what's that robe fumbles has on? I looked back through the comic and it's definitely a magic item, since it bursts into flames here, but i cant find where he gets it.
He put it on before the imprint ritual. He blocked a flea demon with it and the demon was slightly set on fire.