Sept 16, 2019 I'm A Monster

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Sept 16, 2019 I'm A Monster

Post by WearsHats » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:12 pm

ForgetsKeys wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:56 am So now we know that Fumbles is still keeping up his /11 levels even after becoming a teller, and we know what level he's at. This is the first confirmation we've gotten of this, right?

I was caught a little off guard by the rage that Big Ears is showing. I mean, a full-out attack on Kore is definitely the right thing to do at the moment, but I thought it would be fueled by trying to protect the other goblins, not to avenge Chief. I guess he acted similarly when One-Eye was killed, but I'm just not used to seeing that side of him.
Teller is a role, not a class. It does not in any way affect your level. It's just bonus features you get for being a Goblin Teller instead of just a standard Goblin Warrior.

Ears has been through a lot lately. And he hasn't really had a chance to grieve for Chief. Probably on some level he blames himself for not being able to protect the people he cares about. But I think it's both things here. He's voicing his rage and letting it fuel him, but the thing that motivated him to make the sacrifice to take control of the golem was his need to protect the clan.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Buys Knicknacks
Remains Silent

Post by Buys Knicknacks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:51 pm

ForgetsKeys wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:56 am I was caught a little off guard by the rage that Big Ears is showing. I mean, a full-out attack on Kore is definitely the right thing to do at the moment, but I thought it would be fueled by trying to protect the other goblins, not to avenge Chief. I guess he acted similarly when One-Eye was killed, but I'm just not used to seeing that side of him.
Well, if you look WAAAAAY back at the pillars which showed what someone sexually desires, we learned that Big Ears is gay.
http://goblinscomic.com/comics/20151101.jpg
Here's the last page we have of Chief before he fights Kore. It's also the page where Chief lied to sacrifice himself and buy the rest of them time to get into the dungeon crawl.
http://goblinscomic.com/comics/20101029.jpg

The picture on the pillar looks a LOT like Chief, although he's a little more buff than Chief was. The ears, the shape of the face. I suspect it's an idealized image in Big Ears' mind of Chief, as he remembers him before the GAP started adventuring.

Dendr
Mutters to Themself

Post by Dendr » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:13 pm

Now I'm wondering with what did he cut his ears? Was it the Axe-hole?

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 am

Krulle wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:49 pm the Big Yellow is a great Goblin, because if his great deed, his cutting off his Ears makes him Big Ears.

And I dom't think this'll be Kore's end.
As antagonist maybe, although I don't even think that, he'll somehow tell the story, and Big Ears might pu together what happened to him, the Axe, and why the dimensional border is braking down.
I mentioined this above - but honestly none of them live up to the names they were given when they were born, anymore. Chief isn't the rightful Chief. Thaco is supposed to be Chief. Complains got over their names and started raging, turning his discontent on his enemies through action. Fumbles is leveling up and no loner fumbling constantly, he's now the most powerful teller ever - saving the whole party from doom. Now, big ears won't have big ears. Dies Horribly lives! They were meant for greater destinies than the short sighted visions and rules their old teller had - which ultimately led to their whole clan's slaughter. Big ears is actually the very last one to shed that old identity through the conscious choice of free will - same as when they decided to break the mold and become adventurers.

RayRay
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by RayRay » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:01 am

Whoa, who's that godly being floating around? I don't seem to recognize him! :D

machiavelli33
Remains Silent

Post by machiavelli33 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:09 am

Ears needs to get two of his big golem-fingers on each hand into that split in Kor's skull and pull. Pop that sucker open like a stubborn clamshell.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:02 am

Krulle wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:49 pm the Big Yellow is a great Goblin, because if his great deed, his cutting off his Ears makes him Big Ears.

And I dom't think this'll be Kore's end.
As antagonist maybe, although I don't even think that, he'll somehow tell the story, and Big Ears might pu together what happened to him, the Axe, and why the dimensional border is braking down.
Agreed. Before Kore exits stage left, I think we need some loredump on what has been going on with him.
machiavelli33 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:09 am Ears needs to get two of his big golem-fingers on each hand into that split in Kor's skull and pull. Pop that sucker open like a stubborn clamshell.
Snack-a-crack. POP! Leave the Golem shoved halfway into that Hell-gate of Kore's when the 4 turns are over.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Your.Master
Mutters to Themself

Post by Your.Master » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:31 pm

I feel like I'm missing something -- how did we jump to the conclusion that big ears chopped off his ears to get the helmet on? Was this stated in some drawing stream or something?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:18 pm

1. We established (from an earlier page and Elli confirming on Twitter) that the reason Ears couldn't use the helmet was that he physically couldn't fit it over his ears.

2. Ears is the only member of the GAP in the room who hasn't used the golem.

3. Ears would sacrifice anything to protect his family.

So, while we haven't definitively seen that that's what happens, it seems a fairly safe bet. Do you have a different theory that fits the facts?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:14 pm

Generic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:04 pm
slikmar wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 pm And, SVK hasn't touched him with the staff yet. Hoping to see if that does anything.
Won't do anything. It is the wielder who can be freed of bonds if I remember correctly. Kore is unarmed though. If he himself reaches for the staff...

Honestly, I think it would be wierd if Kore was thwarted by just touching or picking up a magical weapon. Ears mutilating himself at least feels earned.
The "cut magical ropes" staff was not found in the panel of weird weapons. I don't think we know what it's true limitations are.

Also - fumbles pulled a copy of oblivous out of the time portal. What happened to it?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:44 pm

rwstyles wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:14 pm
Generic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:04 pm
slikmar wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 pm And, SVK hasn't touched him with the staff yet. Hoping to see if that does anything.
Won't do anything. It is the wielder who can be freed of bonds if I remember correctly. Kore is unarmed though. If he himself reaches for the staff...

Honestly, I think it would be wierd if Kore was thwarted by just touching or picking up a magical weapon. Ears mutilating himself at least feels earned.
The "cut magical ropes" staff was not found in the panel of weird weapons. I don't think we know what it's true limitations are.

Also - fumbles pulled a copy of oblivous out of the time portal. What happened to it?
Darn. Yeah. I spoke out of my ass. I have no idea how the staff works. I just imagined they jammed it into the identifying field to be sure, since I had no memory of it being useful against Kore.
Why would they not do that?

I would like to know if Fumbles is oblivious enough to pull the sword, or if he has a high wisdom stat.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:02 am

rwstyles wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:14 pmAlso - fumbles pulled a copy of oblivous out of the time portal. What happened to it?
Nope, that was role-playing their puppets by Fumbles and Minmax.
Observe the nonsense letters on Fumbles' forehead. (http://www.goblinscomic.org/comic/11242016-2/)

(viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1645#p214926)

Therefore Fumbles never pulled Oblivious out of anywhere.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:38 am

Generic wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:44 pm
rwstyles wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:14 pm The "cut magical ropes" staff was not found in the panel of weird weapons. I don't think we know what it's true limitations are.

Darn. Yeah. I spoke out of my ass. I have no idea how the staff works. I just imagined they jammed it into the identifying field to be sure, since I had no memory of it being useful against Kore.
Fumbles did (by accident) and we know exactly what it's capable of.
"The Staff of Notangle. This staff will destroy any magical bindings, thereby freeing the wielder. It has no effect on non-magical bindings, such as standard rope, etc."
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:15 am

Shardstorm wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:38 am
rwstyles wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:14 pm The "cut magical ropes" staff was not found in the panel of weird weapons. I don't think we know what it's true limitations are.

"The Staff of Notangle. This staff will destroy any magical bindings, thereby freeing the wielder. It has no effect on non-magical bindings, such as standard rope, etc."
Look. I did not imagine it.

Gazirra
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Gazirra » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:53 pm

Generic wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:15 am

That makes it sound like Kore's curse is gonna be lifted. It may be a geas, or sometimes known as a "binding."

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:01 am

Gazirra wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:53 pm
Generic wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:15 am

That makes it sound like Kore's curse is gonna be lifted. It may be a geas, or sometimes known as a "binding."
Wielder.

FullmoonCat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by FullmoonCat » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:31 am

Kore's going to need some Flex Seal, 'cause that's a lot of damage!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:06 am

https://twitter.com/EllipsisGoblins/status/1175555848367558656 wrote:I just updated the current Goblins page, to include the hand damage. Now to redraw the upcoming page bits. http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21-2019
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:44 pm

Inks for today's page are up for patrons. I'm excited to see it colored and to see what people make of it.

► Show Spoiler