26 Sept 2019: Speak with them

Discuss the comic here!
Inspired
Game Master

Re: 26 Sept 2019: Speak with them

Post by Inspired » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:36 am

ForgetsKeys wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:16 am Maybe the souls are the ones imprisoning Hell. As in, the souls create a barrier for his hell-portal. Maybe he needs a high content of souls to do this, so he kills every sort-of-evil thing he comes across rather than killing good beings.
Wouldn't the alignment affect the prison? I'd assume if something is evil aligned it would actually weaken the barrier (see the working of the Axe of Prissian), so if anything he should kill good-aligned stuff to maintain the prison, no? Or does it only mean quality? (E.g. you need more evil things for the same barrier as less good souls?) In any case we saw him kill innocent children in the early comic, so yeah, alignment might aswell just be a reason for him to kill and not an actual parameter to count with.

I'm also waiting on a ton of exposure and speech bubbles, because I'd really like to see things explained / resolved... But from the comic's POV, yeah action scenes with only some key info drops would be working better. They are still in an encounter, after all.
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

wordelo
Mutters to Themself

Re: 26 Sept 2019: A Splitting Headache

Post by wordelo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:52 pm

I am actually expecting chief to explain that the GAP, Kore, Minmax, Forgath and friends, Kin, and any other monster should band together against this "sacred" demon deity thing. It will only benefit the realm as a whole.

one of my favorite stories is two enemies getting together against an even greater evil. The movie I saw recently called "bad Samaritan" is about a thief who tried to rob from a murderer/kidnapper who tries with all his might to rescue the woman he found while robbing this dude's house. David Tennant is amazing.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:52 pm

Generic wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:02 am
machiavelli33 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:09 am Ears needs to get two of his big golem-fingers on each hand into that split in Kor's skull and pull. Pop that sucker open like a stubborn clamshell.
Snack-a-crack. POP! Leave the Golem shoved halfway into that Hell-gate of Kore's when the 4 turns are over.
And watching it come true was glorious.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:38 am

Glemp wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:52 pm
Generic wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:02 am
machiavelli33 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:09 am Ears needs to get two of his big golem-fingers on each hand into that split in Kor's skull and pull. Pop that sucker open like a stubborn clamshell.
Snack-a-crack. POP! Leave the Golem shoved halfway into that Hell-gate of Kore's when the 4 turns are over.
And watching it come true was glorious.
I still think Ears should have shoved the golem down the hole. If Kore had a smooth stone butt sticking out of his face by now I would have been ecstatic.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Hyuuint
Remains Silent

Post by Hyuuint » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:18 pm

All I can think is:

DANGER DANGER IT IS A DISTRACTION MOMENT EARS SPEAKS HE LOSES THE GOLEM AND KORE KNOWS THIS HE WATCHED AND LEARNED DANGER TRAP DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO CHIEF!!!

But that's just me and I may be reading the room wrong.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:54 pm

Hyuuint wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:18 pm All I can think is:

DANGER DANGER IT IS A DISTRACTION MOMENT EARS SPEAKS HE LOSES THE GOLEM AND KORE KNOWS THIS HE WATCHED AND LEARNED DANGER TRAP DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO CHIEF!!!

Depends on how Herbert wants to train his players to react to character moments.

But yeah. They really should not stop clobbering. At the very least Complains should be doing backflips to build up bonus on that insane sword of his.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:30 am

redfeather wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:07 am [...]
Since Kore crushes the little object which corresponds to Chief's soul, does this liberate Chief from his control? Or are these just "potions" of Speak with Dead? (Houseruled to involve the victim's sole rather than just their corpse.)

[...]
My guess is that it's a magic pellet that does exactly what Kore told Young and Beautiful. Allow him to give a dead person one order or have it answer any number of questions. And that Chief is just bound to him in some other way.

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:47 am

"Chief. Speak to them. Tell them how they should just let me kill them." It's been Kore's one goal. The only thing that would stop them from defending themselves against him would be if somehow killing him would release all sorts of evil (like evil spirits of all the bad monsters and demons he's killed?) or actually break a barrier protecting the prime material plane, imagining that he's somehow part of the whole equation with the axe of prissan. Regardless of whether he's keeping Chief's soul out of hell, he's certainly trapped it. Can't be a fun way to spend eternity. Also - Chief was good aligned. He wouldn't go to hell.

I like the idea that he's somehow a good litch - his soul being contained somewhere else like a holcrux. I think it's more likely that he is somehow powered by the souls he takes. After all, he seems to be made up purely of those screaming faces, and he seems to be losing power as they are torn apart - although it's not actually killing him. Like a soul vampire ... eek. If he is sort of more like a construct, then he'd be robotically following directions and have no choice but to continue on his war path. Seems obvious he's not operating on his own free will, after all. Either way it does feel like we're about to learn more about Kore. We've waited so long to find out!

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:53 pm

Derkins wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:47 am "Chief. Speak to them. Tell them how they should just let me kill them." It's been Kore's one goal. The only thing that would stop them from defending themselves against him would be if somehow killing him would release all sorts of evil (like evil spirits of all the bad monsters and demons he's killed?) or actually break a barrier protecting the prime material plane, imagining that he's somehow part of the whole equation with the axe of prissan. Regardless of whether he's keeping Chief's soul out of hell, he's certainly trapped it. Can't be a fun way to spend eternity. Also - Chief was good aligned. He wouldn't go to hell.

I like the idea that he's somehow a good litch - his soul being contained somewhere else like a holcrux. I think it's more likely that he is somehow powered by the souls he takes. After all, he seems to be made up purely of those screaming faces, and he seems to be losing power as they are torn apart - although it's not actually killing him. Like a soul vampire ... eek. If he is sort of more like a construct, then he'd be robotically following directions and have no choice but to continue on his war path. Seems obvious he's not operating on his own free will, after all. Either way it does feel like we're about to learn more about Kore. We've waited so long to find out!
One thing I am sure of. Thuntian dwarves suck at remaining dwarves.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:36 pm

Oh my gosh, I just remembered something from YEARS ago. When Ellis received that "Welcome home" banner from her fans, somebody actually contributed to that with a pic of chief in Kore armour. (It's visible at about 6 minutes 10 seconds.)
Link to the video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfoBRPrrHzY

In some way it has become true, I guess. :mindblown:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:48 pm

I'll be disappointed if Chief says anything else:

Fly, you fools!
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

Frownsalot
Remains Silent

Post by Frownsalot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:32 am

These are my thoughts about Kore and the Axe.. maybe I double someones idea, sorry in advance ö

Kore, being one of the creators (was confirmed by the critter ghosts, whats their name again) is bound to the axe directly. He is the portal into it.
Also because the Axe is strengthened by good deeds, him doing them strengthens it/the bond.
The Axe is the ultimate good, so anything to strengthen it is greater than anything breaking his Paladin oath.
His ability to summon kills back so easily confirms this, for me at least, as he is the source himself.

Kore is going to try and convince GAP to give him the Axe back and let him kill them to restrengthen the Prissan/Prison. Also becasue killing Kore would also destroy the bond AND the Axe.

Somehow I feel that they will not just throw the Axe into kore, but instead all go into the portal WITH the Axe.

Just a quick brainfart from work... I re-registered my old account which got cut due to inactivity

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:36 am

If your last login was really a while ago, it was lost in the forum crash(s)...

(this incarnation of the Goblinites forum only exists since Feb' 2013 - whoops, already 6 and a half years again...)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:02 am

My interpretation was that the beads Kore breaks do not contain the spirits of his killed victims, (in fact, he didn't kill YNB so thats for sure) but these beads are like magic potions that enable speaking to a desired dead creature (and forcing that dead to answer truthfully).

ie. the box full of beads is like a box full of "speak to dead" potions, not dead spirits.

-

I think Kore is only letting them speak to chief as a distraction - it could be a distraction that will allow him to run away, or to surprise attack. Given his greatly damaged state the "run away" option is tempting, but considering what we know about him I don't think it's even remotely likely.

So, I believe next update we will see chief speaking very briefly before Kore will do some nasty surprise attack. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe he will grab the golem controlling helmet himself, or grab a weapon.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Just pointing out those he summons are bound to "Perform one task or answer any number of questions."
Kore didn't ask a question; he set a task "Dead goblin. speak with them." No time limit or conditions.
Chief can tell them anything he wants. From as short as "Hi" and leaving, to trying to answer all THEIR questions. I don't think he CAN try to operate the golem. But he can stay as long as he keeps talking. (There might be a duration limit, but Kore didn't state it.)

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:33 am

I hope this does not make Elli go back and change every frame, but did Kore fix his gauntlet after having the racist axe-sword piercing his hand?

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:49 pm

Arrow wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:02 am Maybe he will grab the golem controlling helmet himself
Maybe Kore doesn't have enough head left to make the golem-helmet recognise he's wearing it?

Piximae
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Piximae » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:02 am

Hyuuint wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:18 pm All I can think is:

I'm not sure if speaking would count as a move, but yeah. I highly suspect Chief is a distraction. Just like Fumbles is.

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 am

Um, somehow Big Ears got that helmet on. I'm thinking his big ears are lying on the floor right now, and he's going to need a new name.
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

Furmanda
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Furmanda » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Can the piece of head the golem tossed asside attack independently from Kore#1?

Cerezoss
Remains Silent

Post by Cerezoss » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:55 am

Furmanda wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:42 pm Can the piece of head the golem tossed asside attack independently from Kore#1?