14 Oct. 2019: What have you done?

Discuss the comic here!
ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

14 Oct. 2019: What have you done?

Post by ForgetsKeys » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Link to the comic: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-23-2019

Now we know the context of one of the quotes we got ages ago.

sshipway
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 14 Oct. 2019: What have you done?

Post by sshipway » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:09 pm

Well that explains a lot.
Now, if only someone had a staff that could free magical bindings...

Lightning Lance
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Lightning Lance » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm

sshipway wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:09 pm Well that explains a lot.
Now, if only someone had a staff that could free magical bindings...
Yep. Also, did not expect Big Ears to have completely ripped his ears off to that extent.

Dustin_S
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dustin_S » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:51 pm

an incredible reveal, but still doesn't justify his *fantastic* racism.

Kore has been such an implacable foe; almost literally an unstoppable force. But now he's just...walking away? after all those murders of innocents and his relentless pursuit of the goblins, his murder of chief, he's just walking away?

I'm gonna give this storyline time because *of course*! but Kore didn't spend a thousand comic pages chasing these goblins just to tell them his secret.

I love goblins, and hopefully y'all find this criticism to be at least hopeful, if not constructive, but this page kinda fell flat for me.

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 pm

I mean...he's losing. Horribly. Even if he's level 14 or so. He's been whupped on with a +7 axe. Swallowed a lightning bolt to the face. Fell a hundred feet or so. They've just thrashed him with 10+ rounds of Iron Golem. He needs to sleep and heal up and re-equip himself. He's definitely lost the tower shield and one handaxe. And he appears to have lost his two super-crossbows (in previous drawings, you could see them when Kore's back was to the camera, but they're no longer present).

For me, panel 4 and 5 of the previous strip cement it. This dwarf is in some shit, and he knows it. They had the Golem (and he didn't know the exact rules of it). Fumbles announced himself as a powerful caster and threw out a bunch of area healing in a single spell. In-universe, depending on how much Kore knows about high level spellcasters and whether or not he's as meta as other characters have been, that pronouncement is pretty big. You don't fuck with a cleric who can heal a group of people in one spell. That guy can also use Slay Living, or maybe even Harm.

The GAP could stand to rest, but not nearly as much as he needs to. Especially if he didn't sleep after the fight with Forgath because he expected to just roll the goblins and everything in the dungeon crawl like it was nothing.

Strawberrycocoa
Mutters to Themself

Post by Strawberrycocoa » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:04 pm

I was really hoping the predictions that Big Ears chopped off his own namesake ears would be wrong, and he had just jammed the helmet on so tightly that it couldn't be removed, or something. Jesus Christ, that's a hell of an image to check in to.

Regarding Kore walking away, he doesn't see to be moving very fast. What's stopping the GAP from following him?

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Strawberrycocoa wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:04 pmRegarding Kore walking away, he doesn't see to be moving very fast. What's stopping the GAP from following him?
Talking to Chief. As Kore intended it would.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:38 pm

So now Big Ears isn't big or even Ears anymore, is he?

The final panel makes it look like his head is hollow, much like Kore's is. This makes me worry a little.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Strawberrycocoa
Mutters to Themself

Post by Strawberrycocoa » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:25 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:38 pm So now Big Ears isn't big or even Ears anymore, is he?

The final panel makes it look like his head is hollow, much like Kore's is. This makes me worry a little.
I think Ellie is just mercifully sparing us the detailed rendition of seeing the insides of Ear's skull-goop.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:39 pm

If ound the perspective misleading, as the sword (or backpack) BE holds behind his back makes it a weird "frame" for Ears' left side....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Post by Sidewaysgts » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:13 am

Im wondering if Fumbles spear is going to come in handy later

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:16 am

Fumbles Staff of Notangle?

It only frees the wielder.
I hope Fumbles can give it to Chief, and Chief take it with him into the hell of Kore's head.

Also, for those interested:
sketches of panel 1, panel 3
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:14 am

I think N'Ears went a bit overkill there. He didn't have to cut off his ENTIRE EAR DOWN TO THE SKULL. He probably could've just taken off a piece on each side.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:19 am

I asked Elli about it on Twitter, wondering how Ears could hear with the cut that deep. Here's what she said:
I think of it as slicing off a human ear. Your hearing would definitely suffer, especially when the wound is fresh, but the actual 'hole' leading to the ear drum is still there.
So the wound isn't more than skin deep. What we're seeing is blood and maybe a patch of underlying muscle and connective tissue. But it's only the flaps that have been cut off.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:14 am

Whoa

Dark man

:paranoia:

WorldWarIV
Mutters to Themself

Post by WorldWarIV » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:36 am

Oh wow that was disturbing :becry:

Dustin_S
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dustin_S » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:49 am

Strawberrycocoa wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:04 pm I was really hoping the predictions that Big Ears chopped off his own namesake ears would be wrong, and he had just jammed the helmet on so tightly that it couldn't be removed, or something. Jesus Christ, that's a hell of an image to check in to.

Regarding Kore walking away, he doesn't see to be moving very fast. What's stopping the GAP from following him?
Where was the prophecy of Big Ears cutting off his ears? I don't remember that! :(

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:19 am

Krulle wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:16 am Fumbles Staff of Notangle?

It only frees the wielder.
I hope Fumbles can give it to Chief, and Chief take it with him into the hell of Kore's head.
I'll be disappointed if Kore gets defeated by a random staff that Fumbles just happened to pick up while on the run from Kore. That's a little too convenient, although I guess that probably happens often in a D&D campaign.

The Axe of Prissan had a much more believable introduction to the story. It was during a quest that had nothing to do with Kore, and the axe was designed to draw Big Ears to itself.

On the other hand, I hope the staff plays some role in the plot. Otherwise, why include it?

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:48 am

Crap, I was hoping I was wrong about poor Ears.
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Well, one more line from that panel of foreshadowing done!

Gotta love how its usage has been predicted based on the previous panels, and yet the page actually IS as impactful as it should be. About that last panel, remember that "life forms" are treated kinda like a "sack of blood" in DnD and the comic followed this concept too. It also has the "convenient" side effect that it needs less details and is less gore-y (thus more reader friendly).

Also, Ears desperately needs a hug. (And some cleaning up.)
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

Furmanda
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Furmanda » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:41 pm

speakslittle wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 pm I mean...he's losing. Horribly. Even if he's level 14 or so. He's been whupped on with a +7 axe. Swallowed a lightning bolt to the face. Fell a hundred feet or so. They've just thrashed him with 10+ rounds of Iron Golem. He needs to sleep and heal up and re-equip himself. He's definitely lost the tower shield and one handaxe. And he appears to have lost his two super-crossbows (in previous drawings, you could see them when Kore's back was to the camera, but they're no longer present).

For me, panel 4 and 5 of the previous strip cement it. This dwarf is in some shit, and he knows it. They had the Golem (and he didn't know the exact rules of it). Fumbles announced himself as a powerful caster and threw out a bunch of area healing in a single spell. In-universe, depending on how much Kore knows about high level spellcasters and whether or not he's as meta as other characters have been, that pronouncement is pretty big. You don't fuck with a cleric who can heal a group of people in one spell. That guy can also use Slay Living, or maybe even Harm.

The GAP could stand to rest, but not nearly as much as he needs to. Especially if he didn't sleep after the fight with Forgath because he expected to just roll the goblins and everything in the dungeon crawl like it was nothing.
If it was true that Kore was so close to death, they could finish him now, even if he had the paladin status. I agree that if he is fleeing now, they should go after him and just coup de grace him.

And on the other hand, if he is so invincible, why would losing paladin status be game changer anyway, it should not make such a difference if he is a being that can survive split head and one half being torn off.

Typhlosaurus
Remains Silent

Post by Typhlosaurus » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm

What? Is no one going to talk about the explanation for Kore's alignment?

We've been waiting so long and I'm relieved to have one, but I'm not convinced that I like it. It feels like it's treating alignment as a property of the character, like strength or hit points, rather than being a description of the nature of the character like "funny but shy" or "driven by anger at the gods". That was rather the way I remember playing D&D as young teens and not the way I like to imagine we'd play it now.

Can someone make me feel better about this? I normally love both goblins plot twists and Eli's occasional moral philosophy speeches.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Typhlosaurus wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm What? Is no one going to talk about the explanation for Kore's alignment?

We've been waiting so long and I'm relieved to have one, but I'm not convinced that I like it. It feels like it's treating alignment as a property of the character, like strength or hit points, rather than being a description of the nature of the character like "funny but shy" or "driven by anger at the gods". That was rather the way I remember playing D&D as young teens and not the way I like to imagine we'd play it now.

Can someone make me feel better about this? I normally love both goblins plot twists and Eli's occasional moral philosophy speeches.
It's possible that treating alignment as a property gives one more power to explore the nature of a character. Rather than constantly asking "Is this a lawful good action?" or "Technically I'm following the code, so it's okay", the question is "Would this character do this?" I think Kore may still be a complex representation of "good". He seems to believe that he is good, and that the beings he kills are evil and must be killed. Also, the flea demon hinted that Kore is "good", but he goes about doing it in a way that other good characters would disagree with. Allowing Kore to subvert the rules on lawful good allows for a more interesting exploration of how far a supposedly-good person will go to achieve what they believe to be "good."

But eh, we'll see how this pans out. Maybe Kore is just a mindless killing machine.

Dellisrob
Remains Silent

Post by Dellisrob » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Hey! I've been a goblins fan and regular reader of the forum since before the maze of many. Had a thought I wanted to add.

Just want to mention that Minmax foreshadowed the new name for Ears. He called him Big Yellow. (Sorry don't know how to link or I would) Some traditions hold yellow to mean friendship. I think it fits his size, character, and class.

Sneaky Minmax :)

Strawberrycocoa
Mutters to Themself

Post by Strawberrycocoa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Typhlosaurus wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm What? Is no one going to talk about the explanation for Kore's alignment?

Think of the "alignment-shift"property as a gel filter on a piece of lighting. You can use it to tint the light Blue (Good).

Kore is the Lighting Technician, and his deity is the Director. The Director wants only Blue light on his set. Kore's lights are all Yellow in color. So he puts a Blue filter on everything to give the deity what he wants. The Director sees only Blue light even though the truth of the light's nature (Kore's actions) are still Yellow in reality