Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:49 am

I understand their desire, with spell slots slowly draining away, encouraging casters to use only their cantrips, just in case there's another fight later, that may need the fancy spells more.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:55 am

Well in the original game the there was a wizard and a cleric and a pair of fighters. The fighters were happy with a short rest but the other two, the cleric especially, always wanted another long rest before he would do anything. It resulted in a lot of interrupted 'just standing around until we can do a long rest' random encounters.

What has happened is that nearly everyone switched to short rest classes, fighters, monks and sorcerers, in the game I am running for them now so they don't have to worry about it.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:51 am

Wise of them. Lurn is soon to be mostly ineffective, with one spell slot left at midday. Then again, he can still reliably make 1d6+5 damage ranged attacks, or 1d8/1d12 to heavily armoured targets. So it's not that bad, just means he can't heal much... Which reminds me, need to work on getting a pouch of rocks.

Unrelated to this game, anyone hear about the latest ruleset to be released for 5e? All I know about it is the name - Eberron: Rising from the Last War - and that it includes an Artificer class and something about races and "Dragonmarks." Sounds interesting, I think.

I've looked into the Artificer a little, and it's certainly an interesting class; sort of like a magical engineer. I don't know much depth of D&D, but seems like a fairly standard caster setup; Long rest to recover spell slots, spell slots are split up by level... Only up to level 5 spells, though. Makes up for that with its class features, though. One of the branches can apparently make cannons.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:10 am

Maybe. They have been doing some pretty stupid stuff that no amount of short rests is going to clear up for them.

Lurn's tag alongs are back with him and they have a goodly number of rocks stashed.

I have seen some advertising for it but I haven't delved into it at all. I recently received Mordenkainen's tome of Foes and Volo's Guide and am trying to work through them. Surely Spider will have some insight though!

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 am

I have bought the Eberron book. Been too busy to really look at it carefully though.

I played an Eberron game when it was 3.5
It is by FAR my favorite D&D world. I like the flavor and high magic and the whole backstory. There is pretty much magic everywhere. Street lights in most decent sized cities are magical. Magic railroads and such too.
I played an artificer and it was much fun. They have tweaked it a lot to make it work for 5e though, and I haven't really looked at the changes yet.
The warforged characters got the biggest tweaks by the look of it.

However, I'm hoping to play some Eberron!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:31 am

I'm planning on getting it and mining it for stuff to use in my eventual reboot of 'Surviving Castle Heterodyne', among other reasons. Still have Sword Coast Adventures Guide and Ghosts of Saltmarsh on the 'to read' stack though.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Completely unrelated to this game, but I killed my first PC in my RL game. He ran off by himself to loot on his own and got dropped. Can't say it was surprising but it was an underwhelming way to go...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Well, it's what happens when you leave the party on your own.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:33 pm

How'd the player take it?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:14 am

The player is a negotiator type of PC and will often try to negotiate his way into good things and out of bad things. He gives long, contrived reasons why his PC should be able to know/do things, generally ill-conceived. For example last session he rolled poorly and used is luck feat to re-roll and rolled even worse and the proceeded to try and explain why he hadn't actually used the luck point as he was just 'checking to see' what would have happened had he rolled the luck point.

He reacted like he normally does and tried to negotiate his way out of death. I had to cut him off and tell him he could spend the rest of the session rolling up a new character, which he accepted. The rest of the party laughed at him and suggested he be less himself in the next character. He rolled up a new character that was nearly identical to the one that died, saying they were long lost twin brothers :meh:. The rest of the players laugh/booed him silent before I could react. He has until next session to get me a new character.

He is the most challenging player in my group to handle but he is generally positive, happy and is always available to play :shrug: despite his being in a pain to DM.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:03 pm

Okay, army team! Big fight going on now but you are only a small part of it. That said, your actions can, and will, impact the greater battle for better or worse!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:44 pm

Quick check: Sticking to the rule of non-named characters dropping below 0HP dying instantly, yeah? Just considering the Grave Cleric thing of healing being better at 0HP and how best to use my spells.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:11 pm

Ask everyone their name. :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:27 pm

:lol: Perfect thing to do in the middle of a battlefield.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:01 pm

"Pardon me, I'm about to knock you out, I'm Kroshav, what's your name?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:30 pm

That's a thing, isn't it? The option to do nonlethal damage with a melee weapon? Is that the one case where an NPC, by RAW, survives hititng 0hp?
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:49 am

Dlover wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:44 pm Quick check: Sticking to the rule of non-named characters dropping below 0HP dying instantly, yeah? Just considering the Grave Cleric thing of healing being better at 0HP and how best to use my spells.
Yep, unless you are specifically using non-lethal damage to knock them unconscious. In those cases they aren't actually dying though. You've done that twice on the hobgoblin mages just to have their companions kill them instead. Whether or not that is their general behavior or just orders for that mission you can give me a history check.

All of your squad is named and there are several named enemies in this camp.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Apologies for the delay, computer issues have chewed up my evenings.

I will get an update up for army group tomorrow earlyish. NSF you can attack, unless you are planning on running all the way to the tent this turn? If you are staying with the group you'll still be 20 ft from the tent entrance.

Forest group, you are at the end of the rainbow. What are you doing now?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:33 am

Dlover wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:27 am ((I definitely appreciate giving us that ability, and it saves you a little bit of the work too, since you have less decisions to make. Though at the same time, I appreciate your guiding just as much, since I don't know how most classes generally work.))
You controlling the NPCs prevents me from playing chess with myself and definitely saves me time in considering what they would do with the information they have.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:37 am

I'm getting an appreciation for Bless. I pretty sure it made at least two misses into hits so far this battle just for Jaq.
I am thinking that the rest of the battle area is probably just as chaotic as our small area?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:54 am

It also allowed Kroshav to stop Fadris from getting away from him.

There is heavy fighting going on to the south and you saw an attack sally out of the city that should be arriving on the east side of the camp soon. On top of that there is fighting in the forest to the west and the giants causing havoc inside the camp.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:14 am

Bless is great, as long as it can be kept up, but it has the advantage over other concentration spells of also buffing your Con Save to maintain said spell if cast on yourself.

With the number of attacks Celus does, he might have been a better target for the third one than Arbelm, but he also needs it less... not sure how many times it might have made a difference though.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:16 am

Hard to say, but at least once it would have landed a hit for Celus. Bless saved Arbelm from full fireball damage though.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:09 pm

Bless and Bane are both severely underrated spells. Bless is definitely the better option for a situation like this (I really should have put it on my squad from the start), and we've seen how effective Bane is against a small number of enemies in that giant skeleton fight.
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:32 am

((Just took out a bystander!))

LOL, I didn't know I could just ignore him...
He was on the map there and I thought If I just went to the tent without dealing with him, Jaq would have gotten his attention and he'd start trying to stab Jaq.