Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:29 pm

The purple cloaked huge female hobgoblin doesn't bother to look up as Kroshav's javelin flies past her head. She is too intent on the map and whatever she is saying.

Jesp moves to the NW and swings at the hob in front of him who is trying to listen but is also prepared to dodge away from the intruders. Despite the attempt to dodge the dwarf connects with a crack into the hob's side and clearly breaks some ribs but isn't enough to kill him. The hob coughs up a mouthful of blood but an arrow from Amar proves to be more than enough to put him out of his misery. Ern sends another arrow into the caster.
Just outside the remaining guard swings at Celus and the Jolly but both manage to block the swings with relative ease.
Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Outside orcs
Team Lurn
Team Jesp
Right guard (-39 HP)
Jaq (Blessed)<-----
Big female hob
Caster hob (-23 HP)
Inside guard
Team Kroshav (Blessed)

((The hob furthest to the left is dead and Jesp is directly south of them.))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:38 pm

Jaq will let an arrow fly at the incoming new threat, (Orc 1) blessed longbow attack: 1D20+8+1D4 = [7]+8+[3] = 18

damage, no sneak attack modifier: 1D8+6 = [3]+6 = 9

Knowing he can do much better if he can hide and attack with more damage, he tries to move somewhere more advantageous. He will use his movement and his cunning action for more movement to get over to the side where Jolly is, getting as close to the main tent north of Jolly as he can.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:20 pm

Ves hurriedly bundles the items together and shoves them in her pack.

"Let's go through this somewhere where there are fewer bears" she whispers, and motions for Joe to follow her quietly away from the hilltop and the cave.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:55 am

Joe nods and tries to quietly follow, occasionally presigitating where they came from as to remove the tracks from the bears.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:49 am

The first orc stumbles before righting himself as the arrow hits, the orcs behind him laugh at the clearly comedic moment. The first orc is less impressed.

Inside the tent the huge female hob straightens and barks a short order to each of the remaining lightly armored hobs. These hobs split, two heading west and two east. One of each slices open the side of the tent and the other slips through before the first follows them (they are just outside now). The huge hob follows their exits before locking her gaze on Kroshav and saying something to the caster.

The caster nods and points a finger at Kroshav. A small flame leaps forward, growing rapidly with a roar as everything around Kroshav is enveloped in flame. The flame blows aside the tent flap and expands to engulf those fighting by the entrance. Hep, Fand and Beck all are caught unprepared by the blast of flame and only the fires on Fand snuff out when he falls. Surprisingly the right guard also gets caught in the flame and drops. Everyone else manages to avoid the worst of the damage and the flames stop before reaching Indra and Dama.

((Dex saving throws from all three of you!))
The entire south side of the tent is now burning vigorously.

Inside the guard hob moves up and strikes at the stunned dwarf twice, the second blow slicing deep.
Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Outside orcs
Team Lurn
Team Jesp
Right guard (-39 HP)
Jaq (Blessed)
Big female hob
Caster hob (-23 HP)
Inside guard
Team Kroshav (Blessed) <-----

Maps:
Inside
► Show Spoiler
Out
► Show Spoiler
((Forgot to move Jaq but he is now above Jolly's position.))
----
Ves and Joe make a hasty retreat from the hill and head northwest for a quarter of an hour before feeling like they are likely out of bear danger and can spend a moment examining the Fancy loot.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:29 pm

Ves hands it over to Joe to look at more closely.

"What do you make of it?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:46 pm

Dex Save: 1D20+1D4 = [12]+[4] = 16

Con Save (for Bless): 1D20+1D4+2 = [13]+[4]+2 = 19

((Hep and Beck are dead dead?))

((If 16 succeeds, Kroshav is already resistant, so should take only 7 fire damage, or 14 if he fails. Bless stays up.))

Kroshav: Grabs sword and charges the caster. Longsword: 1D20+7+1D4 = [1]+7+[4] = 12
1D8+7 = [6]+7 = 13

Celus: Enters the tent and hurts the caster like Kroshav apparently cannot.

Hep: Dead?

Dama: Fires on the approaching orcs, and backs up a bit so she's not the first thing they encounter.

Jolly: Moves up in front of Dama (NW of Indra) and readies an attack for the approaching orcs.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:33 am

((Hep and Beck are dead dead. Fand only 'survived' by a single hit point.))

Kroshav weathers most of the fireball's damage behind his shield, only getting a little singed around the edges. Dropping his shield and calling for Celus he closes the distance with the caster and swings. The caster however, merely leans back and the sword misses by a fair margin. Celus enters the burning tent without hesitation, looking more or less unburned, and sights in on the caster. With a roar he lands two quick attacks on the caster, the second of which leaves him without a head. The large purple hobgoblin tilts her head away to avoid the blood and says in common,

"Well. This may be more entertaining than I first thought. You will have the honor of dying by the hand of Fadris the First General of the Black Star." She lifts a fist covered in a black star towards Kroshav and Celus in a salute.

Outside the tent Dama puts down the first orc to hoots of derision from the remaining five. She then moves back while waving Jolly forward. The angry, crispy Jolly moves up and readies an attack. His stream of curses at having been badly burnt three times in two days gets the orcs' collective respect. The burning tent is now drawing significantly more attention but no reinforcements arrive to help out the orcs, yet.
Arbelm, red on all her exposed skin, blinks at the dead hob in front of her. Then takes in the dead members of her squad and that Celus and Kroshav have both went into the tent with Jesp's team. Turning her head she sees the orcs coming and, looking the other direction, sees the two hobs escaping from inside the tent through its walls. Her eyes linger on the pair that seem to be intent on whatever task they were given before turning back and calling, "Those outside, hold here as long as you can." She then turns and attacks the first of the hobs coming out of the tent before they are able to put a up defense.
The orcs come in swinging their great axes. Indra is ready and slashes out but is blocked by an ax haft. Jolly also has time to slash out and cuts a deep wound in orc 3's side. Orc 3 uses all of his momentum and crashes through Jolly's defenses and cuts the burnt human deep, dropping him. In a flurry of movement Indra deflects Orc 2, 4 and 5's slashes and somehow has time to jab her rapier into orc 2's throat. The jab does leave her open when orc 6 steps over Jolly's body and leaves her with a shallow gash down her thigh.
Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Outside orcs
Team Lurn<----- (need a dex save)
Team Jesp
Jaq (Blessed) (need a dex save)
First General Fadris
Caster hob (-45 HP)
Inside guard
Team Kroshav (Blessed)

((Fand and Jolly are still alive and you have found a named enemy NPC! Congratulations.

Maps:
Inside
► Show Spoiler
Outside
► Show Spoiler
))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:13 am

Lurn casts Spare The Dying on Fand, then moves to Jolly's side and lays a healing hand (Cure Wounds with a Level 2 slot for for 21 healing) on him, heedless to the orcs around. "Indra, Jolly, I'll do my best to keep the two of you alive, but my own ability to fight will be limited. All these bastards have done too much damage already, so give them hell for me."
((Indra will attack the orc again.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:30 am

((Battlemaster maneuver or just straight?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:41 am

((Ummm... I think it's probably better to save them for either Parry or Riposte if she has them.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:29 am

Jolly gasps as the massive wound from his shoulder to his belly re-knits along with his numerous burns and his eyes pop open to see Lurn and the orcs still around him. He gives a strangled, "AAGH" in confirmation to Lurn's statement. Indra is too busy killing orc 5 to respond.
((She has parry, riposte and trip. She's used riposte once and has 3 die left. Still need that dex save for Lurn please. You're looking for a 14 or better.))

Back in the rapidly burning tent Jesp takes a breath while considering the heavily armored hobgoblin in front of him. The dwarf thinks he sees an opening but the hobgoblin quickly blocks the blow with his shield. Amar and Ern, both looking rough, fire at the hob Jesp is fighting but neither find a chink in his armor. Looking up at the burning ceiling the pair both move near the spot the two hobs cut a gap in the wall to the east. The guard smirks at Jesp and growls,

"I am Ginrak, Life Guard of Fadris of the Black Stars. You stand no chance against me little one."
Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Orcs (four left)
Team Lurn (need a dex save)
Team Jesp
Jaq (Blessed) (need a dex save) <-----
First General Fadris
Ginrak
Team Kroshav (Blessed)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:46 am

Dex saving throw/blessed: 1D20+7+1D4 = [15]+7+[2] = 24
(Jaq moved over to above Jolly before the fireball, was he still in blast range?)
Jaq will move 20 feet south and attack the orc to the east (#4)
Blessed longbow attack: 1D20+8+1D4 = [20]+8+[3] = 31

Arrow with sneak attack and critical WOW that is a lot of dice.: 1D8+6+2D6+1D8+2D6 = [2]+6+[5, 5]+[1]+[1, 2] = 22

After the attack he uses cunning action for more movement and moves and stops just south of the Corporal.

(dice look impressive but the crit dice roles were actually 1 1 and 2 )

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:53 pm

((Jaq was still in the fireball's range, yes. He just makes the save though and takes 14 damage.))

Popping around the side of the burning tent Jaq sends orc 5 to the battlefield in the... wherever orcs go... with an amazing shot. Arbelm says to Jaq in elven when he gets closer,

"I think these two were messengers of some sort. Best they not get away if you can manage it."

Inside the tent Fadris reaches beneath the lightly burning table with the map and pulls out dark metal shield with a black star and a red rim and straps it on before reaching down and pulling out a warhammer formed like an arm with a clawed hand clutching a black wedge of stone. It and the shield glow faintly red even as they reflect the flames.

"I think two blows for each of you should end this."

Ginrak is more a hob of action and slices a long gash down Jesp's arm.
Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Orcs (three left)
Team Jesp
Jaq (Blessed)
First General Fadris
Ginrak
Team Kroshav (Blessed)<-----

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Kroshav: Swings somewhat awkwardly again.
Longsword: 1D20+7+1D4 = [6]+7+[2] = 15
1D8+7 = [8]+7 = 15

Celus: Attack Fadris.

Hep: Dead

Dama: Looses an arrow at an orc nearby (she should be out of melee with any of them).

Jolly: Clambers to his feet and attacks the orc in front of him.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:11 pm

Joe spreads out the items and starts to ritually cast detect magic.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:56 pm

It looks for a moment like Kroshav's swing is going to connect but Fadris casually, almost disdainfully pushes the sword off course with a lift of her shield.

Kroshav
► Show Spoiler
Fadris isn't, however, able to fend off a flurry of angry swings from Celus as the half-elf slices into her. She turns her focus on him,

"The half dog first."
Dama targets orc 3 but a snap of a burnt through tie startles her and throws off her shot. Jolly unsteadily rises and awkwardly slashes at the orc that downed him to no effect.
Arbelm cuts down the other remaining 'messenger' hob on the east side of the tent. She calls to Jaq before she enters the hole in the tent wall and moving north of Amar,

"Kill anymore like these if you see them, otherwise I'll leave it to you to pick your targets."
The three remaining orcs hack about wildly but Jolly and Indra easily block their attacks.
To the southeast a series of angry yells catches all those outside the tent's attention to a small troop of 8 goblin archers being herded your way by a hobgoblin with a whip and shield. The goblin's short stature means they'll need to move around a few more tents to have a clear shot but they are within 90ft of Lurn.

Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Orcs (three left)
Team Lurn (need a dex save)<-----
Team Jesp
Jaq (Blessed)
First General Fadris (-23 HP)
Ginrak
Team Kroshav (Blessed)
Gob archer squad

((Who needs sleep! Not me... Maps tomorrow.))
---
Joe's eyes spot-

Magic stuff:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:21 pm

Dex save: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19
((For some reason I read "all three of you" and took it as the people inside, but that's pretty dumb considering you handle the NPCs yourself.))

Eyeing the orcs and the approaching goblins, Lurn grunts and directs a spell at one of the orcs (preferably an injured one if they aren't dead.)
Toll The Dead: 1D8 = [3] = 3
1D12 = [7] = 7

"It's just swarm after swarm of distractions. Can't even focus on one fight. What's next, a troll?"
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 pm

"Some of that stuff looks good. Not rusty or anything even after being buried in the wet."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:05 pm

"Some o these be mag'c all but tha mirror be transmutat'n. Tha mirror be divinat'n." Joe points out the magic items. She studies them over thinking as to what they might be.

Arcane [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24

(Money wise: 350 cp, 350 sp, 50 gp, 1 pp for Joe and 350 cp, 350 sp, 60 gp for Ves sound fine?

Also are any of the gems a pearl?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:27 am

Orc 3, the one injured by Jolly, drops his axe and grabs his ears as a bell tolls for him. He crumples beside his dead companions.
Indra deftly inserts her rapier into orc 4's chest. The orc is severely hurt but still has some fight left in him.
((Presumed you wanted Indra to keep on fighting? Also Indra, Celus and Jolly all have an action surge that can be used at your discretion.))

Jesp feints to the side before reversing and landing a ringing blow on Ginrak's hip that the hobgoblin clearly feels as he twists away from the dwarf. The hasty retreat leaves him open for Amar and Ern's arrows which both find gaps in his armor.
Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Orcs (two left, one badly injured)
Team Jesp
Jaq (Blessed)<-----
First General Fadris (-23 HP)
Ginrak (-29 HP)
Team Kroshav (Blessed)
Gob archer squad

Map:
Inside
► Show Spoiler
Outside
► Show Spoiler
----
Ves recalls that the bandit had taken care in wrapping everything in a well oiled cloth, likely to preserve the imported pomade.

Joe looks at the magical items and recognizes a couple of the items and notices something about the mirror:
► Show Spoiler
((One of the gems is a pearl but looks smaller than what Joe needs.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:56 am

((Things like the Action Surge are definitely very useful to know about, 'cause I've literally never learned about any of the Fighter things. I'll consider when to use it. And yeah, attacking is pretty much the default.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:14 am

((I can steer them for you for the smaller stuff, like second wind, but I also want to give you the chance to 'control' your teams.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:27 am

((I definitely appreciate giving us that ability, and it saves you a little bit of the work too, since you have less decisions to make. Though at the same time, I appreciate your guiding just as much, since I don't know how most classes generally work.))
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:03 am

((loot sounds good burns :) thanks for figuring that out!))