Hole in the Roll Bar (Introduction to your favorite Role

The Hyper Halfling's RPG Club is a hangout for adventurers waiting for their next game, and DMs (Deity-Managers, if you like) in the midst of building worlds. We like lists, here. Also maps. Also stories of characters, games, adventures, epic saves, and death-defying (or not) acts of bravery and foolishness. All are welcome. Please wipe your feet on the mat, grab a drink and a snack, and get comfy.
Quarg

Hole in the Roll Bar (Introduction to your favorite Role

Post by Quarg » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:39 am

Quarg sits behind the long, metal bar top that sits in the center of the rather oddly shaped space. It appears to be built of welded sections of metal painted various colors with various blast marks across the surface. Above the former AC-130 blades slowly spin to move cool air around the space. The long bar back seems to be covered in a long line of bottles and containers that seem to come from every possible known universe. The space is somewhat poorly lit by various string lights looped over the walls of the space and the ominous glow of deep blue from a large chamber in the corner labeled GE 1700 Mobile Fusion Reactor. (That may, or may not have some cracks in its surface)

There are some bangs from a room beyond a doorway at the far end of the bar back . Apparently where the kitchen is. The sound of cursing in a mix of elvish spits out.

Quarg himself seems to fill up a great deal of space. He looks like an Orc who's linage includes multiple encounters with the universal ugly stick, although technically he is a full human mutant. He sits quietly reading a copy of "Advanced Seven Dimensional Nuclear Thermodynamics". Occasionally he justs down some bit of equation onto a small whiteboard before him.

When the outside door creaks he looks up and puts the book aside...seeing what new has rolled into this corner of the Multi-verse.

<OOC: I've played around with this idea in my head for quite some time, basically the idea of the thread is to introduce your favorite/most memorable character(s) you have played to the rest of the community and maybe just RP some interactions. No bars on source(s) and well...fighting will only be tolerated slightly by Quarg...>
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: Hole in the Roll Bar (Introduction to your favorite Role

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:29 pm

A frumpy looking dwarf ambles through the door. He's dressed in robes, not armor, with a wand in a sheath at his waist. He looks around the bar, gives a somewhat disdainful sniff, and then proceeds to the end of the bar and clambers up on a stool. He reaches into a pouch on his belt and pulls out a silver coin, which he slaps down onto the bar. "Dwarven ale. Keep it coming until that's gone."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:58 pm

A pair of scaled legs and a faded blue denim overalls approach the door, the head of an enormous gatorman crouching down to peer in.

"Hi. I'm Krozk.", he says by way of introduction, his low booming rumble making the bottles shake.

Lowering himself further he squeezes in the door on all fours, taking care not to let his large frame take out the furniture. Standing, he's probably close to ten feet tall.

Strapped to his back is a 'swamp lute' and an axe, a rather nasty looking gauntlet on his right arm spitting occasional sparks. His arms and torso are crisscrossed by scars with a dull red glow.

"What's for dinner?"

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:21 am

The dwarf cautiously eyes the newcomer, fingering his wand.
" I hight Dain Torunn. And, as long as I'm not dinner, I'm pleased to meet you."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:30 am

"Nah," he says in a quieter rumble.

"Hopin' they got shrimp and crawdad stew... Good ta meecha, Dain."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:54 am

Dain visibly relaxes. "I don't know about the stew, but they do have liquid refreshments." He grins and hoists his tankard and take a swig. "Which I am deeply appreciative of."

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:05 pm

Quarg nods at the dwarf and hands him a mug...Although cold, it apparently doesn't actual sit on the bar but slightly hovers over the metal..."We've got Dwarven Ale, Dragon Ale, and Dwarven Black IPA's..." He smiles warmly...though his charisma is so low it more looks like he's going to just take a bite out of you...

When Krozk enters Quarg seems to regard him for a moment.

"What's for dinner?"

Quarg replies,
"Welcome...haven't got tonight's menu from my partner yet...let me go see..."

A few moments later Quarg appears with a parchment sheet. He hands it to Krozk. "Er...be careful she just scribbled it out now...some personnel issues in the back apparently..."

The text appears to be almost calligraphy with more swirls and dots indicating punctuation than seems fitting in such a place

• Herring, All you can eat, cooked anyway you like boiled, fried, baked, grilled, laser roasted, fire roasted, blackened, cindered, poached, torched, stewed, 20 cr (Raw 300 cr up charge, pickled 5000 cr up charge and Quarg throws you out when done)
  • Lamb stew- fresh lamb from the high hills of Gavoran prepared with spices from four different planets and simmered in untina...35 cr
  • Baked Alaskan- Aged Mammoth meat baked in a pie with spring onions, mushrooms, carrots, and peas baked until tender...80 cr
  • Stuffed Spectator- A spectator stuffed with shrimp, lobster, oysters, onions, mushrooms, some white cheese and then fast roasted through a hell pit...40 cr
  • Real Steak...Part of a cow, maybe a bison, cut off the carcass and grilled the way you like...Market Price
  • Shrimp Muffalletta Poy boy...Shrimp, olive salad, served on fresh bread and baked...15 cr
  • Louisiana Pasty...Shrimp and Crab Meat baked in a pocket with okra, onions, carrots, rutabagas, and peas...25 cr

Specials
  • "Steak"...Slab of meat...spiced with salt and pepper...grilled til done...served with butter and no questions asked or answered...15cr
  • Dwarf Pocket from Helm's Deep....They don't tell, we don't ask....10 cr
  • Red Dwarf Ready to Eat Meals....Choice...tofuloaf in facimilie beef gravy with french cut green beans...5 cr (note 2.1 M year past expiration date)
  • Apocalypse Stew...proteins, dried vegetables, onion soup mix, baked at 300 C for 6 hours to kill everything, served with Hardtack..1 cr
  • I'm Broke Special...you roll against the cook...you win...you get food...you loose...you get served...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:08 pm

Krozk takes the paper in a big hand, peers at it (upside down), and hands it back.

"What do you like on there? Was kinda hoping for something in the fish or shrimp or crawdad sorta thing."

((It's fairly obvious that he can't actually read the menu.))
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:04 pm

"Er...What's the conversion rate of a silver piece to credits?"

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:08 am

"What do you like on there? Was kinda hoping for something in the fish or shrimp or crawdad sorta thing."

Quarg laughs..."I'm restricted to protein shakes and vitamin injections...too much rad damage to the stomach lining which is why I let her run the kitchen even if she's a damn tyrant" He points over his shoulder to the doorway to the kitchen

Quarg looks at the menu and points to it "...we've got Haddock anyway you like it except pickled...and a couple of dishes with shrimp...but what the hell is a crow dude? And what planet are they from?"

"Er...What's the conversion rate of a silver piece to credits?"

Quarg looks over..."Depends...A silver dollar is about a credit and a tenth these days...Klatchian Krondor is going to get you about 10 credits current exchange rate...a Delyian Fifth Drachma is going to be about a hundredth of a credit or a Vrakian Ob is about 15 cred..."

Quarg pulls out something from under the counter. It looks like a large metallic loaf of bread with one end having a screen with a glowing green symbols. He places it before the dwarf. "Use this...Truth is most of the local Dwarfs are on this whole darkberry IPA kick right now and I've been trying to move the Ale..."

Code: Select all

Bank of General Motors Universal Exchange System
Do you want to:
Value Currency?
Exchange Currency to Credits?
Exchange Credits to Currency?
Exchange Shares to Credits?
Launder Currency? (50% launder charge)
Gamble?
Buy a Secure Credit Chip Card (30 cr)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:07 am

Krozk nods,"I got bit by a rat once, but it was my finger, not my stomach. Sorry to hear that."

"That sounds good to me, haddock every way but pickled, and the shrimp dishes. Crawdads are like tiny lobsters.
Planet? I used to catch them in traps from my boat."

He pulls out a heavy purse and digs out a handful of gold, silver and copper.

"Is this enough?"

((The party eventually convinced him to let them handle his finances... :roll: He'd ask for his allowance when he wanted to buy things.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Krozk nods,"I got bit by a rat once, but it was my finger, not my stomach. Sorry to hear that."

"Not the worst part of being betrayed by your own team...its the coming back and having to get revenge that is really tiresome...and the DMV paperwork..."

"That sounds good to me, haddock every way but pickled, and the shrimp dishes. Crawdads are like tiny lobsters.
Planet? I used to catch them in traps from my boat."

"Er...oh...tiny lobsters...well we've just got the big kind." Then Quarg stops and looks up at the big guy, "Er...you do not appear to be a member of the Triumvirate Guard...so where did you get a boat from? And how does one 'trap' from a boat? I thought they just shot at things or launched torpedoes..."

Quarg is noting something on a small electronic pad as he speaks, obviously doing two things at once.

He then begins to quickly start going through the coins on the counter with one finger rapidly calculating the value in his head.

"Is this enough?"

"You want a drink with that order?"

Quarg asks as he finishes the calculation

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:12 pm

"Trimeter Guard... nope, don't know who they are. Don't think I've ever et a torpedo. My boat wasn't much, but it was mine. Wide, shallow keel, able to pole through swamps in it."

"I'll drink a soup if you've got one."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:59 am

Dain is busy trying to figure out how to work an electronic pad device, finally figuring out that the screen is touch sensitive, but still fumbling about trying to figure out how to put information in. He looks both intrigued and frustrated. "No, that's not...hmmm. What if I...? Wait, what just...? So that little box makes more pages appear. Okay, what's this a picture.... Goodness gracious!" He looks at Quarg with raised eyebrows " 'Latex Vixens' ? "

(( Never hand a man a loaded gun...or an I-pad... unless you know for sure what he's going to do with it! :lol: ))

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:53 am

"Trimeter Guard... nope, don't know who they are. Don't think I've ever et a torpedo. My boat wasn't much, but it was mine. Wide, shallow keel, able to pole through swamps in it."
Quarg looks at you with confusion for a second...then chuckles...

"I'll drink a soup if you've got one."

Quarg looks up again, seems like he is about to say something and then just types something into the pad in his hand...
"I'll see what we've got...but I don't think..."

Dain looks at Quarg with raised eyebrows " 'Latex Vixens' ? "

Quarg turns the large object around and then stares at the screen for a second and blanches..."Oh crap that little beaked nosed bas..."

A woman marches out of the doorway stating in dry tones. "I find this order and request rather perplexing...the kitchen has been ordered to serve enough variations of Haddock to keep Ubo himself busy for a week and these traveleres just want 'soup' to 'drink'...." She emphases the two words with such eloquent elvish sarcasm that you'd swear she was Elfhorne born and bred.

But the slightly scaly skin and glowing fire blue eyes seem to indicate dragon-born even more. Although working in a kitchen in a backwater, her khaki outfit screams uniform even if there isn't a stitch of insignia on it (besides a name patch in something not common.)

She stops and looks at the image on the small bankbox screen. "The single largest problem that this establishment is not an over abundance of herring apparently but that rather horridly inappropriate image of that particular woman on our money changer in a box...She turns her head, is not her in mid-dress with her fiance? undressing from undergarments for <sky beyond sky> travel?"

"Yeah, that's a Skin suit..but I think out bank box maybe hosting the image..." Quarg replies.

"Hosting? You mean as though it were going to have a party? I do say we may soon be hosting some of her father's Marines quite soon if the little imp in there is not conviced to stop 'hosting'...."

"Er...that's not how it works...
I do not understand your mechanical magics operate, Quarg, however you are saying that our gambling addict money changing box is now providing this to the world after being operated by.... Her eyes note that the dwarf is near the bank box.

"Multi-verse..."

Her eyes increase in intensity, like someone just opened the gas jets to 'high' and she states dryly in Dwarvish obviously believing Dain had something to do with it.
<I did not know I had any dwarven clans who wished my House such ill. Speak your name and your claim against me so that my House may know from whom to exact just revenge>

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:22 am

"Hi, I'm Krozk.", says Krozk as he waves when the dragon-elf comes out to yell at the lumpy man.

"A good soup goes a long way to washing down food. I'll take water if you don't have soup."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 am

(( Oh, crud.))
Dain's eyes narrow dangerously. "Dain Torunn. I had nothin' ta do with yon image on the box. I also don' take kindly to threats, and even less insults to me honor, especially from a half-blooded Blue Wyrm tart!" Dain is fingering his wand again, this time accompanied by a rather ominous glow.
(( Dain...doesn't have good people skills, is proud as Lucifer, and with about as much moral restraint.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:53 am

Krozk innocently has no idea what's going on.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:27 pm

A half-elf in dirty splint, shield strapped to his back and longsword at his hip, steps in. His hair is cut short, and his skin is weathered but he isn't all that old. He takes in the giant crocodile monster, the dwarf, the dragon-elf and the Quarg. After watching quietly from the door and deciding whatever is going on isn't a problem he moves into the bar proper and asks for the menu, and presuming it is the same as presented above comments,

"That is a lot of seafood. I just got off a boat, you got any bread that ain't hard tack? And what is a cr? A copper?"

He looks over at the gator,

"You probably have the fish?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:32 pm

"Yup, ordered the haddock and shrimp.", he says, licking his lips.

"Hi, I'm Krozk."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:45 pm

"Dain Torunn. I had nothin' ta do with yon image on the box. I also don' take kindly to threats, and even less insults to me honor, especially from a half-blooded Blue Wyrm tart!" Dain is fingering his wand again, this time accompanied by a rather ominous glow.

<How dare you address a Fryetorr...

Wahhhh-zoom!

Quarg stands with a large unwieldy device in his hands that looks like a cross between a tube radio and a tuba. "Warp gun...we've had it in lost and found for ages..."

"Is it still inviting people to it's scandalous party?"

"Yup..." Quarg smiles at her slightly.

She swears for a moment glaring at Quarg pothoc drihli ghik deevdru di thric dask svaust oupilic mrith skav jimva! Where is the foul thing?

"A hundred or so meters that way..." Quarg points towards a side door..."Over by the landing pool...and I have customer's to deal with Eileen...so you can handle it..."

The woman just snarls and then looks at the dwarf... "We shall deal with your tongue later..."

She storms off and out the side door...As she does so she points to Kronk... "Give him some Tomato juice...we still have a barrel from that disastrous bloody Margret special last year..."

"That is a lot of seafood. I just got off a boat, you got any bread that ain't hard tack? And what is a cr? A copper?" states the newly arrived half elf.

Quarg, putting away his borrowed toy says "Welcome, Stranger...per the first question, bread we've got lots of its just we get the hardtack in by the pallet...just like the seafood...cr stands for credit, or Standard Trade Union Credit...a lot of people try to pay in coppers but the exchange rate isn't that good most of the time.

He looks out the now closing door..."And my handy banker in a box just left to die a horrid, horrid, fiery death so show me your coin
and I'll figure out what you can buy..."

As he states this he pulls a large bottle out from the lower bar back and pours a large mug of tomato juice labeled...
Utical 100% Pure Juice from Concentrate,
New! Improved Tomato Flavor
Provides 500% of recommended daily vitamins and Minerals if Human

Do not use near open flame, closed flame, in-and out flame or Happy Fun Balls
Utical is not responsible for side effects from out of spec uses such as consumption, cooking, or beverages

For bathing and trapping happy fun balls only

He places the glass next to Krozk, "Try this and see if you like it..."

There is a ding and a section of the bar back raises providing a dish. It appears to be a white plate with the head of a fish squarely in the center surrounded by some kind of green paste.

Quarg puts in in front of the Krozk "First up...Haddock raw..."

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:03 am

Dain gives Eileen a sneer and a mocking bow. "Later then, 'M'lady' ."
He gives a nod to Quarg. "My apologies, my host. I did not intend to start an altercation in your fine establishment. By way of apology." He throws a couple of gold pieces on the counter. "Perhaps just a bowel of stew with bread. Keep the change."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:34 am

He examines Krozk's teeth as he licks his lips. He guesses Krozk is a he but doesn't ask and says,

"Fen. Nice to meet you."

He listens to the Quarg talk then asks Krozk,

"What does the Quarg mean?" He pulls out a single gold coin and places it on the table.

"How many crs is this worth? I want chicken. Or another not water bird the same size. And bread and a tub of butter. Cider to drink, not boozy. I expect change in real money not crs."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:05 pm

"No idea what a ker is!", Krozk says cheerfully.

He has a sip of the offered drink, and pulls the plate over to him, pulling out a wicked looking dagger, carves flesh from the fish, sops it around in the paste and downs it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:16 pm

"My apologies, my host. I did not intend to start an altercation in your fine establishment. By way of apology." He throws a couple of gold pieces on the counter. "Perhaps just a bowel of stew with bread. Keep the change."

Quarg shakes his head..."I know she was wrong...but did yah have to call her a tart and then belittle her family?" He looks at the coin on the bar. "Bo Bob is going to be laugh'n his God forsaken head off as he takes bets on who's going to win your duel when he finds out..."

He takes the coins and then taps in something in the small hand held device in his hand as addresses the next customer.

"How many crs is this worth? I want chicken. Or another not water bird the same size. And bread and a tub of butter. Cider to drink, not boozy. I expect change in real money not crs."

"About 40 credits...birds tend to be a bit of an issue getting cooked in the kitchen without being spiced rather nasty...the only person who cooks those well just marched out...wouldn't you like some nice, tasty cow? lamb? bison? Quarg is about to say something else but looks at Kroz "er...well that's a water creature so forget it..."

He pulls out a bottle of cider and puts it down with a self chilling mug.

Another bing sounds and another slab of haddock appears this apparently burned to a crisp on the outside.

Quarg throws the plate in front of the croc and smiles, "hope your hungry not hang-ry "

((Green stuff was concentrate of Wasabi...))

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr