Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:43 pm

((Honestly, Lurn would try to follow predefined prayers, but there's no way he would actually have memorised them all, it's more like a "close enough to make the point." Though I've also considered whether the higher level spells he learns are from pre-learned prayers or if he does just intuitively feel "I can try this."))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:40 am

The horse majestically stands in the street. She acknowledges Kroshav with a nod accompanied by a mental,
► Show Spoiler
Ealucam whinnies, opens her mouth wide and does odd things with her lips and tongue before nodding her head at Jaq, Celus and Lurn.
► Show Spoiler
Charlie is making noises and sidling closer to the new horse and Yimi.
► Show Spoiler
The aunt simply shakes her head and mutters something inaudible before coming forward and gently placing her hand on Yimi's shoulder, giving it a squeeze before kissing the top of the girl's head. She looks at Jaq and says,

"Send her in when ya go please, I need to get back inside to take care of folks."

((Little Latin to make things classy?))
---
The books look to be technical guides to smelting certain alloys for different tasks along with schematics for different more complicated machine components. One book is a ledger with some values in a shorthand Cary doesn't follow.

Ghram shakes his head to Cary's question,

"No, no precious stones in her belongings. From what I understand she works exclusively in metals."
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:54 am

((Ha! Nice catch on the backwards Latin!))

"This is Yimi, she takes care of the horses of folks that stay here... and Bites, he's a donkey. Yes, this is Charlie, we've been together for a while now, I hope you two get along. And I agree, you are very pretty. Yimi, would we be able to get Ealucam something to eat?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:38 am

Yimi nods then pauses,

"Aunties gonna get mad if ya don't pay for it though. Ya go give her money and I'll get food for Charlie and Ealu!"

She rushes off down the alley towards the stables.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:26 am

"Oh, of course. Charlie and Ealucam, if you go with Yimi, she'll get you something to eat. I'll be right there."

He heads inside.

"Yimi is taking my horses back to feed them, how much do I owe you?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:06 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:40 am
---
The books look to be technical guides to smelting certain alloys for different tasks along with schematics for different more complicated machine components. One book is a ledger with some values in a shorthand Cary doesn't follow.

Ghram shakes his head to Cary's question,

"No, no precious stones in her belongings. From what I understand she works exclusively in metals."
Cary nods, "Possible clan connection is all..."

Cary tries to remember any name of any members of Clan Adelsten who she met while growing up....((history check History Check: 1D20+4 = [15]+4 = 19
))

"Unless one one of you has any further interest in these things I think it's time to talk to our craftsman dwarf with the false impolite name...Any thoughts on how we should approach her, oh lady of the spinning stone..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:14 pm

”We shoulda be soft ta her n hear her troubles. Tha guard shouldnae be near her when talkin ta ‘er. O she may get upset. If ye want Ah can try ta talk ta her first ta see if she be more willin ta share ‘er side o tha story ta ya.”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:55 am

The aunt asks,

"6 copper...but ya know what? Let's call it even for the show ya gave Yimi." Before she turns back to helping clear a table she adds, "An word of advice, don't be giving kids daggers without talking to their caretakers."
---
The Adelsten's don't have a strong political reach beyond the kingdom, most of the the dwarves Cary has met have been wealthy and well connected merchants and jewelers. The wealthiest of which being Masser Adelsten, whom attended luncheons and dinners Cary was at but mostly just sought new clients. The chances Opal and Masser, or his entourage, have ever met is, in Cary's estimation, exceedingly small.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:44 pm

((@Kroshav, Jaq and Lurn - doing anything while the horses chow down?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:52 pm

"Oh, ah, sorry about that, she seemed like atough kid that could use a real blade."

((Nope, just hanging out.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Nope, was just watching the pony show.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:06 am

Nothing from me either.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:05 am

The four of you mill around the entrance to the Goat, people coming and going from having lunch, while Kroshav's two horses enjoy a meal carried in the arms of Yimi and placed proudly before them. Celus clears his throat and says,

"Well... I am gonna go get some lunch."

And goes inside as well. Ealucam confirms to Kroshav the food is good. Yimi confirms, on Ealucam and Charlie's behalf, to Kroshav that the food is good while also trying to simultaneously brush both of them. Soon enough both horses have eaten their fill and Yimi has gotten both water. The lunch crowd is mostly gone and Celus exits looking between the horses and the others.

"We ready? Probably gotta decide what we're doing. We can maybe still catch up with the lunch group of deconscripts if we hurry but we wait much longer and we'll need to wait till tomorrow if we want to go with a larger group."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm

When Celus mentions lunch and goes inside, Lurn hums to himself, "That reminds me, I want to try something." Fishing his amulet out from the neck of his shirt, the large man holds the chain between two fingers, so that the scales on the amulet dangle just beneath his hand, with his palm upraised. Closing his eyes, Lurn quietly chants for a moment, casting Goodberry.

((Can we flavour this as conjuring beads of holy magic, rather than growing magic berries?))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:39 am

((Sure))

Lurn finds, upon opening his eyes, a handful of shiny, purple marbles. They don't really look like food but Lurn is confident they are, in fact, food.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:21 am

Excited, Lurn bounces from foot to foot, a broad smile on his face as he hurries over to Kroshav, holding his hand out, "Look, look! I did it! I conjured the power of my Lord into edible form! If I'm right, just one of these beads should be enough to sustain a person for an entire day! It should have a little tiny bit of healing in it too!" The large man's expression can be called nothing short of childish glee, "Your average cleric doesn't learn this sort of thing, you know? It's like the magic rocks and the grave digging magic, something only some of us can do. My Lord truly has blessed me!" Practically dancing about, the firbolg holds the marbles out to anyone in the group who'll look, and anyone who wants to try one, carefully tucking the beads away after showing anyone, then taking one and biting into it. "Real food is good, of course, but a single bead should be enough to live on."

When Celus gets back, he'll still be grinning, and slightly bouncy, "Right, that's a good point. Kroshav, were you set on meeting that high priest before we go? I doubt she'll have learned any more than she left in that message, being busy and all, and you've done all you can to help that man." To Celus, he'll mention, "Not to worry even if we can't catch up with the deconscripted group. With our group there shouldn't be a problem."
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:14 am

Jaq takes a look at the magic food and smiles, happy that Lurn is that happy.
"What does it taste like?" he asks.

"Yeah, let's get a move on moving out, so we get to another town by nightfall."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:54 am

"Ooo, can I try one?"

"I don't think I need to go back, it didn't sound like she knew any more than when I talked to her last, and the poor fellow left town."

((I guess I need to find another saddle for Charlie, were there extras in the stables that Yimi's aunt might sell?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:52 pm

"Sure, go ahead and try. I'm actually quite curious about how it tastes myself."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:55 pm

Kroshav pops one in his mouth and bites down.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:53 pm

The little smooth balls are heavier than they look but just sit in the mouth tasting like nothing until bitten down on. The process of biting down is surprisingly easy, the outer shell proving no more difficult to get through than a grape skin. Once the outer shell is gone the little ball expands rapidly to near twice the size into a squishy and vaguely gummy form, sticking loosely to the teeth. Then the flavor experience begins - waves of sweet, sour, bitter, salty and savory assault the palate in confusingly random combinations. Some sticky chews are vaguely cake or pie like, others nearer steak or fried meats and others are like spicy sour steak cake. As the mouth fills with saliva the flavors only become more varied until they mix into something undescribable, but not all together bad. The chewiness doesn't go away though and it takes a few minutes of determined chewing to get it all down, where it seems to expand yet again and provide a pleasant sense of fullness.

Celus watches the determined chewing and the expressions on Lurn and Kroshav's faces. He says while they chew,

"Kroshav and his new horse would be able to get to Narmyr today but we'd only get halfway to the mid-camp. I could go either way honestly, but Narmyr got burned to the ground so we ain't gonna find much there welcoming."

((Kroshav saw some tack in the stables but no extra saddles, he could ask about some or the 'Skirt markets aren't far off either.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:57 am

Lurn will be chewing away as well. Jaq's question of how they taste, if he doesn't want to try for himself, gets a thumbs up in response.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:27 am

Kroshav gets concerned as they all swell up blue and round, and some orange skinned gnomes appear, singing as they roll the party off to the juicing department.

Kroshav will inquire here, since they are here, and if not, look about getting a saddle at the 'skirts.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:32 am

'That's a heck of a lot of chewing. What if you just swallow it as the little marble?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Yimi's aunt indicates she doesn't have any saddles to sell but Kroshav, followed by Celus, finds a stall selling them. They are all clearly second hand but most look to be in good enough repair.

The saddles in better shape are marked at 9 gold and 5 silver. A few of the older, more worn saddles are listed as "ask".

Yimi will keep taking care of the horses, happily.

((Wasn't picturing Willy Wonka, but it fits!))