Aug 1, 2020 - Chiefed Out Of Spite

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Aug 1, 2020 - Chiefed Out Of Spite

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:48 pm

Hmm. Okay. So it's a powerful angel, and meeting her is enough to level you up. But it's risky. Interesting. We've got a lot more to learn about her. But I wonder if an angel could maybe somehow help with the whole "realm being sucked into Hell" problem.

Keep an eye on the page. Elli says she's got some touch-up work to do on the colors and shading and will be updating it tomorrow.

In any case, the GAP now officially has a new chief! (I didn't think Chief was going to be brought back, but this makes it even less likely.)

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-12-2020
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Re: Aug 1, 2020 - Chiefed Out Of Spite

Post by Velgar » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:00 am

Well... We might not know much about her from that conversation...

Except that she's definitely horny. o:)
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:27 am

Well... She's less horny after having to argue with Complains...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:01 am

So, we're out of the low hanging clock part now? Are we close to an end? I don't see any end, but we might be? Only other point of reference is gone (the soot), but perhaps it just went away when they returned?

Also. Yeah. A new chief. That also happened. I guess? I'm not very pumped about that. I don't see how it matters anymore.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Lightning Lance
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Lightning Lance » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:04 am

Well, if an angel sees no problem with him being Chief even though he's part demon, then I guess he shouldn't have a problem with it himself either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wonder, maybe they met with Maglubiyet? Assuming that it's possible (s)he's female, and an angel for some reason? Idk. I'm just guessing this because Senor Kickasso said she has the authority to make Complains Chief, and I don't know why a random angel would have any say in Goblin affairs...

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 am

The fact that it's an angel makes me think that it's a "see the worst part of yourself" kind of challenge. I don't know how that translates into D&D, but that fits the "knowing yourself" and why Vorpal came back somber and Complains came back pissed.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:42 am

Blimey! I actually went out of my lurking spot just to say this - they've actually met Maglubiyet! And Complains fought her! And she chiefed him out of spite! That's some next level of weird if you ask me! Wonder if Ears is going to try this (Thaco's encounter with her would have been cool to behold).

EDIT: Kudos to Lightning Lance for calling it out first - this has to be her!
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:00 pm

If the most powerful seer ever, and on top of that a 4/11 of a first level goblin cleric (who might have a good wisdom score) don't recognize Maglubiyet, something is seriously wrong. Even with fumbling accounted for.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:33 pm

I'm getting a comic book character meets the writer/artist vibe out of this.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 pm

Well it's clearly not Herbert, and Elli wouldn't do a self-insert beyond Saral Caine and the two kobolds named after her kids. I suppose the GAP might have a female DM. Maglubiyet is canonically male (and although he will not be named in the comic again due to copyright concerns, he is the GAP's main God and Elli wouldn't just change him). If SVK says it's an angel, I'd be inclined to accept that.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:03 pm

WearsHats wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 pm Well it's clearly not Herbert, and Elli wouldn't do a self-insert beyond Saral Caine and the two kobolds named after her kids. I suppose the GAP might have a female DM. Maglubiyet is canonically male (and although he will not be named in the comic again due to copyright concerns, he is the GAP's main God and Elli wouldn't just change him). If SVK says it's an angel, I'd be inclined to accept that.
You propose there is more than one DM? I've never considered that.

I kinda refuse to speculate at this point. I need a representative run from one of the remining Goblins, or a flashback scene, this current scene serving setup exposition. Right now real character stuff has happened off screen.

It's kinda hard to draw an angel and make them justice after being this hyped. The last Tempts Fate comes to mind. Or the stress the author dealt with about the Kore's face scene. I hope we'll see one of the remaining goblins do an angel run (Thaco is up for some development I think) and meeting a more metaporical angel. That way this would make sense. To set up the angel's true form without having to show it. Until then these are characters I know less than before, talking about stuff that happened when I was not there. Sadly.

ForgetsHisUID
Mutters to Themself

Post by ForgetsHisUID » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:19 am

I love how Complains is named chief, and complains about it! He's so consistent!! Just like when he was named Grumpy...

Damn, Young & Beautiful was a GOOD fortune-teller!

ForgetsHisUID
Mutters to Themself

Post by ForgetsHisUID » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:50 am

Generic wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:03 pm
WearsHats wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 pm Well it's clearly not Herbert, and Elli wouldn't do a self-insert beyond Saral Caine and the two kobolds named after her kids. I suppose the GAP might have a female DM. Maglubiyet is canonically male (and although he will not be named in the comic again due to copyright concerns, he is the GAP's main God and Elli wouldn't just change him). If SVK says it's an angel, I'd be inclined to accept that.
I could see as many as three DMs - one for the GAP, one for FMK, and one for Dies. There are definitely three different games being run, probably on different nights. Herbert may have only been running the FMK group, at first, altho he's soloing with Forgath at the moment (maybe it's a one-shot with Forgath's player, and some others playing Bowst and Whatserdwarf), while Max and Kin's players have joined the GAP's GM. Meanwhile, Dies is clearly soloing with a deadlier, more dramatic DM, who invited in another player (Fox's) mid-story.

Buys Knicknacks
Remains Silent

Post by Buys Knicknacks » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Actually, the angel didn't precisely chief Names. She just made it clear that he WAS chief now.

Chief was the one who actually made Names the new chief.
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20101217.jpg

Edit: Also, I'm hunting through the comic trying to find it, but wasn't there also some prophecy somewhere about a winged goblin?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Buys Knicknacks wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:11 pm Actually, the angel didn't precisely chief Names. She just made it clear that he WAS chief now.

Chief was the one who actually made Names the new chief.
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20101217.jpg

Edit: Also, I'm hunting through the comic trying to find it, but wasn't there also some prophecy somewhere about a winged goblin?
Only tellers can appoint Chiefs. Unless the Vipers lied about that.

And I guess angels, provided what one Teller just said. I don't think Duv thought she could get hold of any angels.

Buys Knicknacks
Remains Silent

Post by Buys Knicknacks » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:28 am

Generic wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:40 pm

And I guess angels, provided what one Teller just said. I don't think Duv thought she could get hold of any angels.
Well, logically speaking, all chiefs would be directly or indirectly decided by Maglubiyet. Remember that Duv and her teller were looking for a sign of approval FROM Maglubiyet that the goblin clans had an opening- but circumstances happened that allowed Dies to evade that ceremony and for the position to remain open. We know from Chief's prayer on the wall that Maglubiyet acts by happenstance and serendipity in answering prayers, so logically it's not a big step to think that chief appointments would be the same: If someone isn't meant to be a chief, then something will happen that stops it.

Now, we saw Chief's final action, a bloody handprint, that is almost perfectly replicated by what the angel did to mark Names. Chief, as a cleric OF Maglubiyet, would be in a uniquely perfect position to act as the deity's proxy and when THAT didn't work, Maglubiyet decided to be a little less subtle- and leave the mark a little more permanently.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:54 am

So what, the ceiling just went up wihtout explanation or realisation by anyone, but they all have to touch the clocks before they get out of the room? So now they're stuck having to acrobatics-throw up Thaco and Big ears? Or do they all have to touch it at the same time? This room is confusing and I never liked the pronoune-name as a storytelling device. Last page Vorpal couldn't explain what happened, now Complains returns and all of a sudden there's just information to be shared? Ugh. Wake me up when we get out of this room, I'll catch up then.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:43 am

TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:54 amSo what, the ceiling just went up wihtout explanation or realisation by anyone, [...]
I agree that this is disappointing.

It may indeedbe that the ceilingrises foreach one havngpassed the test in front of the angel.

ForgetsHisUID wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:50 am
Generic wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:03 pm
I could see as many as three DMs - one for the GAP, one for FMK, and one for Dies. There are definitely three different games being run, probably on different nights. Herbert may have only been running the FMK group, at first, altho he's soloing with Forgath at the moment (maybe it's a one-shot with Forgath's player, and some others playing Bowst and Whatserdwarf), while Max and Kin's players have joined the GAP's GM. Meanwhile, Dies is clearly soloing with a deadlier, more dramatic DM, who invited in another player (Fox's) mid-story.
I think there might be more.
Remember the Kobold team? The Monster Adventuring Party? [Founded at the end of book 3, here]

All DMs playing in the same universe (based on the same set of instructional books and binding rules).
I wonder how the other DMs take houserules, and roleplaying XP?

And I previously already suggested Herbert running more than one session. Although we last discussed that years ago on the predecessor of this forum incarnation.
It may well be he has learnt and is now more consistent in loot and opponent difficulties...
And that other players might be running different games with different DMs in the same universe, possibly even players switching from one DM to another DM (like Fox, who's also an adventurer, and joined a Dies' game group, or Dies' having joined her playing group, which relied heavily on non-player characters.).
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:13 am

Looking back across the last few pages, the clock height has consistently been above their heads. They were crawling to be extra careful (especially because their ears stick up), but Vorpal had to raise his arm to touch one and when he returns on the next page he actually *poofs* back in somewhat above the ground. If you go a couple of pages back, they're crouching down, but there's at least a foot or two of clearance above them. A few of the clocks here and there seem to dangle further down, and it's sensible if you want to make absolutely sure you don't touch the weird dungeon thing, but they've always had room to stand up.

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:54 am

It's this page that has a disconnect... Complains stands up and hits them, then returns and they are feet above his head.

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-11-2020
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Maybe when Y&B died she turned into an angel and that's who they met, which is why she could name him Chief.

Nina
Whispers Softly

Post by Nina » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:23 am

Hi Everyone!

Elly does a masterful job of hinting at enough, and explaining enough, that I always want to see more. (Well almost. A few comics are just transitions, etc.) So many details from years ago, match what is happening now, or foreshadowing from decades ago, is happening. I wonder how often Elli rereads the past goblin comics to refresh her memory?

Given that the goblins are trying to save the world, I think that all of them should go back to where the gnome eggs are lower (if that is what is happening), and touch one.

Leveling up in a second???

That is almost as good as rewriting your characters sheet! (It is important to have a tidy and well organized character sheet!)

;-D

Hugs, Nina

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:06 am

Buys Knicknacks wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:28 am
Generic wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Well, logically speaking, all chiefs would be directly or indirectly decided by Maglubiyet. Remember that Duv and her teller were looking for a sign of approval FROM Maglubiyet that the goblin clans had an opening- but circumstances happened that allowed Dies to evade that ceremony and for the position to remain open. We know from Chief's prayer on the wall that Maglubiyet acts by happenstance and serendipity in answering prayers, so logically it's not a big step to think that chief appointments would be the same: If someone isn't meant to be a chief, then something will happen that stops it.

Now, we saw Chief's final action, a bloody handprint, that is almost perfectly replicated by what the angel did to mark Names. Chief, as a cleric OF Maglubiyet, would be in a uniquely perfect position to act as the deity's proxy and when THAT didn't work, Maglubiyet decided to be a little less subtle- and leave the mark a little more permanently.
The position was open when Dies was offered it. Hence, Complains was not Chief.
TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:54 am So what, the ceiling just went up wihtout explanation or realisation by anyone, but they all have to touch the clocks before they get out of the room? So now they're stuck having to acrobatics-throw up Thaco and Big ears? Or do they all have to touch it at the same time? This room is confusing and I never liked the pronoune-name as a storytelling device. Last page Vorpal couldn't explain what happened, now Complains returns and all of a sudden there's just information to be shared? Ugh. Wake me up when we get out of this room, I'll catch up then.
Yeah. It's not very strong right now.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:48 am

jbrecken wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 pm Maybe when Y&B died she turned into an angel and that's who they met, which is why she could name him Chief.
I'm going to say "very unlikely" on that, she was briefly raised by Kore at the warcamp site, and appeared as a Teller imprint.

Luy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Luy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:01 pm

Check Elli's twitter if you want to see the angel