Order of the Stick

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
I'mBob
Game Master

Re: Order of the Stick

Post by I'mBob » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:20 am

Anyone can give me a link to the temporary site? I could not find it anywhere.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:30 am

I'mBob wrote:Anyone can give me a link to the temporary site? I could not find it anywhere.

its theire own site... http://www.giantitp.com
-Best regards LAYF

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:04 am

Cedh wrote:He really has a thing for last panel arrivals.

On the other hand, it could be another illusion. Those runes could have been some sort of your-worst-fears-realized thing, and Team Evil arriving would be pretty much the worst thing that could happen now.
But then, the Lich being obviously annoyed does not fit.
The Lich being happy to have found them, now that would be a problem for the heroes.

Cedh
Remains Silent

Post by Cedh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:04 am

Krulle wrote: But then, the Lich being obviously annoyed does not fit.
The Lich being happy to have found them, now that would be a problem for the heroes.
Good point. Maybe if we could see Belkar's reaction and Redcloak, we'd have a better idea.
Belkar probably most dreads Xykon, but I can imagine him being seriously freaked out by other things he's run into or imagined (e.g., vampire snake men).
And I don't think the Order knows about Redcloak's missing eye; O-Chul could have mentioned it, but he might have left it out so as to not inflate his role in his and V's fight in the tower.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks! Yeah, I vote for illusionary lich. Otherwise, the PCs are in deep trouble, as in TPK trouble. OTOH, at least big X is not going to be ticked off by seeing V there.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:39 pm

It might turn into Xykon against the Linear Guild. I vote for that.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Cedh wrote:He really has a thing for last panel arrivals.

On the other hand, it could be another illusion. Those runes could have been some sort of your-worst-fears-realized thing, and Team Evil arriving would be pretty much the worst thing that could happen now.
I really hope you're right.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Looks like the site is ALL back up. No comic newer than last week though, yet.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:17 pm

We didn't have a title for the new strip before, though. It's a good one, and makes a fair bit of a difference.

Though I'm still eager to find out whether Rich is trolling us, or if things are indeed that bad. What the bloody frell is Roy going to do in the face of such an apparent calamity? I'm almost hoping he just instantly assumes it's an illusion, simply on the basis that the Order is too completely f****ed otherwise for it to be worth bothering to take "Xykon" seriously.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun May 05, 2013 9:54 am

New OOTS!
► Show Spoiler
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun May 05, 2013 12:53 pm

► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun May 05, 2013 1:37 pm

► Show Spoiler

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sun May 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Krulle wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun May 05, 2013 3:32 pm

SamWiser wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun May 05, 2013 8:31 pm

► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun May 05, 2013 9:11 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun May 05, 2013 9:42 pm

► Show Spoiler

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun May 05, 2013 11:20 pm

As far as I am aware that is a home-brewed ability.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon May 06, 2013 1:06 am

Rune-brewed?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:59 am

The closest I can think of is readying an action at doing so or the mage slayer feat from complete arcane where they can't cast defensively.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 am

Yeah, readying an action to attack while they're casting works pretty similarly but unless you can back the caster into a corner or you have better than normal threatened area from reach they can generally just step back and cast. It's really a better option for ranged attackers. But Xykon probably has contingent or quickened spells that you can't hit to try to interrupt like that.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Honestly though, Xykon has never had the same malevolent aura that he used to; ever since it was revealed that he was being "controlled" by redcloak. At that time, he was downgraded from epic-archnemesis-of-evil to oblivious-but-useful-dufus. His defeat in this case just emphasizes that transition.

Xykon being used by demons would be one thing; at least we could speculate on whether he was aware he was being used, and whether he had some trick up his sleeve to deal with the infernal powers. But redcloak? Xykon is obviously clueless, and his (temporary) demise at the moment is just a hastened version of the disappointment that he was inevitably going to suffer later. I thought that was a bad plot-twist at the time, and I mourned for the loss of a great villain. This isn't really that much worse by comparison.

Perhaps I am just too prone to judge hastily, but Xykon hasn't felt like an arch-nemesis for some time now. We're leaving behind this small-time lich stuff and moving to the big guns now.

Excuse me a moment.

:wall:
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Wed May 08, 2013 6:42 pm

I feel this is the plan. Even had this shift not occurred we all would have felt disillusioned about Xykon simply because he was only a temporary nemesis. When all is said and done, Xykon just used to be a guy that didn't want to die, he is just human. However, now we are getting into the truly arch-nemesis stage where the heroes are battling cosmic forces, and not just a lich. I actually feeling sorry for Xykon knowing that this time in the spotlight is almost done.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Wed May 08, 2013 7:46 pm

RJJ7 wrote:Xykon is obviously clueless, and his (temporary) demise at the moment [...]
Whatchutalkinbout, Willis? Xykon isn't even there; it's an illusion.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed May 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Huh, cause I'd say XyKon is more evil than Red Cloak, and more funny too.
► Show Spoiler