July 1st, 2013 Grossly Overpowered

Discuss the comic here!
Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: July 1st, 2013 Grossly Overpowered

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:25 pm

The MoM does have the holding areas for each group to wait in until the Maze fills. Theoretically, there could be dozens or hundreds of Maze of Many's since there could be thousands of different groups that find the maze entrance. The Maze probably just pits similar groups together, like our FMK.

There could be a GAP MoM going on right now... I miss them. :(
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Re: July 1st, 2013 Grossly Overthought

Post by EatsAPeach » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:28 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:
EatsAPeach wrote:(snip) ... but there are a lot of Kins who wear the necklace as well as the collar. (snip)
Just three to spot, out of dozens of Kins we've seen. As well as our Kin, 02112011-4 and 07222011.
Yeah, I was archive-diving a minute ago and there aren't as many as I thought. Good indicator: any Kin with the necklace is very close to our storyline. I had assumed ours would be the only one. Wolfie, I'd caught that about the holding area, but still figured it was all going to be variations on the same party. Otherwise it would be the Maze of Mayhem . . .
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:48 am

Wolfie wrote:The MoM does have the holding areas for each group to wait in until the Maze fills. Theoretically, there could be dozens or hundreds of Maze of Many's since there could be thousands of different groups that find the maze entrance. The Maze probably just pits similar groups together, like our FMK.

There could be a GAP MoM going on right now... I miss them. :(
Isn't the whole point of the MoM that there's only one of them? That's why so many alternate realitys are there, as all the different realities end up in the same Maze

DuIstalri
Whispers Softly

Post by DuIstalri » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:53 am

ChuckNorris wrote:Isn't the whole point of the MoM that there's only one of them? That's why so many alternate realitys are there, as all the different realities end up in the same Maze
Kind of - there is only one Maze of Many, but the entire run takes place outside time. So, while we see all these various infinite realities of Forgath, Minmax, and Kin, multiversal theory says that there is an infinite number of universes where a millisecond after our FMK entered the maze, those universes GAP did. Not so much a separate instance of the same maze, as the same maze being run an infinite number of times immediately after it has just been run an infinite number of times. And, of course, there would be an infinite number of universes where someone else entirely entered the maze. We see FMK because the FMK runs 'sync up'.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:09 am

I wonder...

A lot of people have commented that the weakness of psions is that they burn through Power Points quickly. So Psimax must have invested a huge amount of time and effort creating the psionic gears, observing everything happening in the Maze until he has seen everything that can every happen and knows the odds of those things happening, not to mention every fight he's ever got in...that's a huge amount of Power Points sunk into his creation. Say, I don't know...78 billion or so? What happens when he has to use his 77,914,839,447th?

Archerd
Mutters to Themself

Post by Archerd » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:45 am

willpell wrote:
bcas77 wrote:Nope, not yet. Who knows, this may very well be his first time and our FMK got really lucky!
Psimax knew that Reality 38 "would" kill 156 and so released them from the wall that Pipemax had collared them onto. So it's obviously not GoldMax's first trip through the maze. Also, there's no need to assume that GoldMax had a Kin; Grinnorarcen being a demon (not to mention Herbert's errand-boy, and thus potentially a giver of quests), he could easily have known about the Maze of Many. Heck, I wouldn't put it past him to have sent GoldMax there deliberately, in the hope that in an infinite number of runs, GoldMax would somehow manage to free him (on the assumption that his enslavement would not reset).

Psymax said that they would die in the tower room, not in the battle with Goldmax/Not Walter.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/01062012/

Caelbain
Remains Silent

Post by Caelbain » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Guys, I just realized something, though I am too lazy to check...

Could the number that defeats Psimax be the number of tries they had so far?

Sorry if this came up before.
___

Nevermind, I bothered to check and the numbers do not match, not even divided and stuff.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Archerd wrote:Psymax said that they would die in the tower room, not in the battle with Goldmax/Not Walter.

Did you in fact read that comic while linking it? "I can't leave you like this. In twelve minutes, Reality 38 will enter this room. If they find you like this, they'll kill you. That death would necessitate the recalculation of fourty-four relevant variables. It's more efficient to set you free and let you die in the tower room again."
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:11 pm

willpell wrote:
Archerd wrote:Psymax said that they would die in the tower room, not in the battle with Goldmax/Not Walter.

Did you in fact read that comic while linking it? "I can't leave you like this. In twelve minutes, Reality 38 will enter this room. If they find you like this, they'll kill you. That death would necessitate the recalculation of fourty-four relevant variables. It's more efficient to set you free and let you die in the tower room again."
Willpell, how does what Archerd said contradict what you quoted? The implication of that quote is that they would survive a battle with reality 38 and instead die in the tower room.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:35 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:Willpell, how does what Archerd said contradict what you quoted? The implication of that quote is that they would survive a battle with reality 38 and instead die in the tower room.
My original point was that Goldmax couldn't be on his first run through the maze, because Psimax was familiar enough with Reality 38 to confidently predict that they would kill 156 upon finding them helpless. If they were a new arrival he'd have no knowledge of their probable actions; he wouldn't know whether they were Good or Evil, whether they'd bother to kill a rival who was clearly already neutralized, etc. Because Psimax knew anything at all about Reality 38, they couldn't be the maze's newcomers for this run. (Although now that I think of it, the fact that there is a newcomer on each maze run ought to make Psimax's claims of having learned the maze completely improbable, since the new team each time would change all the variables. So perhaps there is no new team, but that still supports my point that Goldmax was not on his first run through the maze.)
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Caelbain wrote:Guys, I just realized something, though I am too lazy to check...

Could the number that defeats Psimax be the number of tries they had so far?

Sorry if this came up before.
___

Nevermind, I bothered to check and the numbers do not match, not even divided and stuff.
If it's any comfort, that was thw first thing I checked, too. Although if attacked by the Kinship, with all their tries added together, maybe...

EDIT: And I wonder what the odds of a Human and a yuan-ti Naga trueseeing are...

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Glemp wrote:EDIT: And I wonder what the odds of a Human and a yuan-ti Naga trueseeing are...
It looks like the "yuan-ti" thing isn't actually happening; the comic remains unaltered.
My long-neglected blog.

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Liesmith wrote:
apotato wrote:the Three and a Half Kins have access to a machine that was built specifically to perform arbitrary math and arrive at a predetermined answer. If they can tweak the function of the Engine
3.5 rewrites the rulebook?
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:04 am

willpell wrote:(Although now that I think of it, the fact that there is a newcomer on each maze run ought to make Psimax's claims of having learned the maze completely improbable, since the new team each time would change all the variables.
Not necessarily. I would presume that teams who usually make it to the tower room have a much greater impact on the variables than teams that always die in the rooms with the confusion doors. And that, aside from the previous winning team being gone and possibly a new team being added, each run is substantially similar to the previous run.

So PsiMax had done his calculations on the assumption that our FMK team would make it to the tower room and die there, on the basis that this has happened the previous #N# times, and thus were among the more significant factors. (But not the major factors, or he would already have been aware that Kin loves Minmax.)

The sword Oblivion is apparently a totally new thing, though. There will be *something* new/different every run, but probably it often is not significant.

What PsiMax appears to have missed is that *he* has made dramatic alterations to the Maze of Many - by creating the oblivion holes.
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

masterzzan
Remains Silent

Post by masterzzan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:26 am

the great big number isn't the one that matter. it is the #38 that does.
(http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.p ... =75#p52113)