July 26, 2013: Licked

Discuss the comic here!
Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Re: July 26, 2013: Licked

Post by Master TMO » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:09 am

Just a random thought - "Teleportation and Restoration" - maybe Psimax had it set up so that every time he teleported himself it restored his psionic power back to full? That's how he never seemed to run out of points and could splishk all day long?

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:34 am

Nevermind. Re-read the comic and it says 'Reconstruction", not restoration. Maybe the splishking wasn't a Psionic power, but one he could use by using a specific gear of his construct, that can be undone by using the Reconstruction gear? That might explain how he could splishk everyone without running out of juice - he wasn't using any juice. He was merely aiming a weapon and pulling the trigger - with his mind!! :paranoia:

The other point I'd thought of but forgot to mention is that I'm pretty sure it's Forgath who says "This dwarf would like to get out of the air now." Not 'The' dwarf, 'This' dwarf. To me it changes it so that it couldn't be a Kin talking.

nightarix
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by nightarix » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Master TMO wrote:Nevermind. Re-read the comic and it says 'Reconstruction", not restoration. Maybe the splishking wasn't a Psionic power, but one he could use by using a specific gear of his construct, that can be undone by using the Reconstruction gear? That might explain how he could splishk everyone without running out of juice - he wasn't using any juice. He was merely aiming a weapon and pulling the trigger - with his mind!! :paranoia:

The other point I'd thought of but forgot to mention is that I'm pretty sure it's Forgath who says "This dwarf would like to get out of the air now." Not 'The' dwarf, 'This' dwarf. To me it changes it so that it couldn't be a Kin talking.
possible, though i think he just used the mazes reset factor against everyone else, saving a certain number of PP each "round" and letting it build up and get stored in the gears, assuming he was in the maze at least as long as fmk 156 he'd have billions of PP... stating that i fully expect someone to tell me how it doesn't work like that(a phrase I've heard many times in my life but eh I'm the hands-on learning type, i'd much rather take it apart and put it together then read how someone else did it :D )

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Master TMO wrote:The other point I'd thought of but forgot to mention is that I'm pretty sure it's Forgath who says "This dwarf would like to get out of the air now." Not 'The' dwarf, 'This' dwarf. To me it changes it so that it couldn't be a Kin talking.
I didn't notice it had changed with the shaded version; the original said "the". However it could still be either Forgath talking about himself in the third person or Onyx pointing him out. It's a bit sillier for her to say "This dwarf" when there aren't any others in the room, but it still makes a valid sentence. And frankly I think it sounded better as "the" either way.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:07 pm

nightarix wrote: (snip) saving a certain number of PP each "round" and letting it build up and get stored in the gears, assuming he was in the maze at least as long as fmk 156 he'd have billions of PP... stating that i fully expect someone to tell me how it doesn't work like that(a phrase I've heard many times in my life but eh I'm the hands-on learning type, i'd much rather take it apart and put it together then read how someone else did it :D )
Psions can save power points in cognizance crystals, build charged dorje ('wands'), and store single use powers in power stones. It seems though that they must carry their crystals and stones with them; they can't be used at a distance.

Kroottastic
Remains Silent

Post by Kroottastic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:18 pm

So, outside of the actual update. Which was awesome. Is anyone else finding that the countdown clock is stuck on 3d 12h 19m?
Last edited by Kroottastic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Kroottastic wrote:So, outside of the actual update. Which was awesome. Is anyone else finding that the countdown clock is stuck on 3d 12h 9m?
Yeah. It was stuck on some other time for a while, but now it seems to be stuck on that.

Kroottastic
Remains Silent

Post by Kroottastic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:28 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:
Kroottastic wrote:So, outside of the actual update. Which was awesome. Is anyone else finding that the countdown clock is stuck on 3d 12h 9m?
Yeah. It was stuck on some other time for a while, but now it seems to be stuck on that.

Thanks, I was wondering if it was just me. As I don't check in but once every couple days, and noticed it said the same time. =p

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:35 pm

If I'm doing my math right, the new one comes out tomorrow.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

shard19456
Remains Silent

Post by shard19456 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:59 pm

DocMesa wrote:I feel this is an important point to raise - when can we get Symun plushies in the Goblins store? <3
YES! YES! YES! I knew I wasn't the only one that wanted a Symun plushie! ^_^ :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

The best part? I'm arachnophobic, but I totally want a Symun plushie.

wonderdrow
Mutters to Themself

Post by wonderdrow » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:13 am

Interesting. I consider a spider plushie a bit creepy, and I'm not arachnophobic.

Hmm...

What if PsiMax would be merchandized. In what form could that be?
Can't imagine PsiMax as a plushie.

Reads_Books
Whispers Softly

Post by Reads_Books » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:50 am

wonderdrow wrote:Interesting. I consider a spider plushie a bit creepy, and I'm not arachnophobic.

Hmm...

What if PsiMax would be merchandized. In what form could that be?
Bobble head? Or maybe part of something like a Maze of Many sticker collection.
I have always imagined that Paradise would be a kind of Library

Jorges Luis Borges

HennaGaijin
Of Few Words

Post by HennaGaijin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:16 am

Cue quote-storm:
shard19456 wrote:
DocMesa wrote:I feel this is an important point to raise - when can we get Symun plushies in the Goblins store? <3
YES! YES! YES! I knew I wasn't the only one that wanted a Symun plushie! ^_^ :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Me too, and me too! :confetti:
wonderdrow wrote: What if PsiMax would be merchandized. In what form could that be?
Oh but I'm all for a Psimax plushie, just cos, think how much it would annoy him!
spiderwrangler wrote:And not to appear sexist, but interesting to recall that Forgath is played by a girl.
As a girl, you have my permission not to feel sexist :P This is hilarious! Re-read the update afterwards and like Sleeping Bear said, it just made it better! As a reluctantly arachnophobic girl this is pretty much exactly how I would react to a spider crawling on my face... though Symun is pretty cute ^_^
RidcullyJack wrote:The three keys from the tower room may not be what they need to open the door to the treasure room. Choosing the correct key from that room was the mechanism for lifting the tower up to the roof opening.
I don't really think that's the key either - surely given that the light is coming from behind the doorframe and the key is in front of it it wouldn't cast a shadow? It does look like it might be something, maybe it's the key on the floor or some other interesting thingymabob but I don't think it's in the lock (sorry to be pedantic ;) )

And alsooo, is it just me or does our Kin have a little bit of a blush all through this update - a kind of 'oooh Minmax just defeated Psimax, he's so strong and brave and sexy and I luurve him' type thing. She certainly seems to be a bit pinker in the face than the other Kins. Hehe, N'aaaaaawwwwe :oops: :love: :confetti:
*Insert witty signature here*

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:13 am

Kroottastic wrote:
RidcullyJack wrote:

Thanks, I was wondering if it was just me. As I don't check in but once every couple days, and noticed it said the same time. =p
No, no, don't you understand? It is the Kins' fault -- they've messed with the machine, and now the countdown timer is all wonky... :lol:

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 am

shard19456 wrote:

For now, I think you can get Mr. Webby from Spinnerette....
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:37 pm

HennaGaijin wrote: I don't really think that's the key either - surely given that the light is coming from behind the doorframe and the key is in front of it it wouldn't cast a shadow? It does look like it might be something, maybe it's the key on the floor or some other interesting thingymabob but I don't think it's in the lock (sorry to be pedantic ;) )
I was going to mention something about this. It is somewhat odd that an invisible key casts a shadow (what with it letting light through and everything) but I suppose it could be argued that it merely redirects the light or refracts it in a way that causes a shadow. But if that was true why would an invisible object cast a darker shadow than a clearly opaque (lol) window frame? And why would it cast a shadow onto the frame's shadow? I mean, if I stood behind a wall, I wouldn't cast a shadow if the light was already blocked by said wall.

So I find it rather unlikely that it is a key, but you never know.... could magically cast a shadow lol.

About the clock thing, It also displays random times on other pages, e.g.: "4 days 22 hours 3 minutes" or ".....57 minutes" or "....23 hours...." etc. I don't have any idea why it's doing that :S

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Clock seems to be fixed now; it's saying an update will happen tomorrow about 7pm Central.
My long-neglected blog.

Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Post by Insane Kitty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:44 pm

willpell wrote:Clock seems to be fixed now; it's saying an update will happen tomorrow about 7pm Central.
it is fixed because the .com address is working again, and we are off the .org

:)
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:25 am

Are you sure? It still instantly redirects to .org for me.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:58 am

same for me.
And whois still shows blindferret as owner.

Both may be due to delays in updating DNS-servers. (depending on whois service, they update twice a week, DNS distribution might take up to one week until every server knows the new IP for goblinscomic.com and does not forward you to the BF server anymore)

Edited to add:
Even GoDaddy's whois shows godaddy as registrar, and BlindFerret as owner.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
it's fully funded, and all realistic stretch goals reached!

bcas77
Whispers Softly

Post by bcas77 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:47 am

Looks like the new update will be an altsplanation. I don't mind that at all :) I love reading those!

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:56 pm

yeah I am still getting in through the .org as well
All hail the power of the stick!

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Lovecraftian reality:

Apparently it's so dangerous, even dead ones are kept on a leash.
► Show Spoiler
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Not sure how that pertains to the comic, but awesome on general principles....
My long-neglected blog.