Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

lingrem
Former Mod

Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Post by lingrem » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:42 pm

I thought that Discworld could use its own thread!

Who are your favourite characters? Why? Any particularly favourite books?
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Re: Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Post by WastesTime » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:57 am

My favorite characters are definitely the Witches of Lancre, but that is because the first novels I've read were about them. I like Rincewind although I've heard that he's Pratchett's least favorite character. I wonder why. The way he fumbles everything and somehow manages to do what needs to be done is a source of never-ending comedy!

Favorite books? Again, the Witches series. I love how Pratchett plays with classic English literature of the Shakespearean period.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:27 am

I'm a big fan of the Witches too!

Although I'm also rather a fan of the Watch. Sam's been growing on me, and I like Angua, Cheery, and Captain Carrot.

Zambee
Whispers Softly

Post by Zambee » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:31 am

Sam Vimes became my favourite character.
If I could go on a year long vacation to the Discworld, I'd see about getting a job in the watch. I like all the books where they feature as a major part.
Next comes Death, and Granny Weatherwax.

For the longest time though, I didn't want to read any of the Discworld books. I hated the illustrations on the cover, and I thought the writing style was far too silly. But then I picked up Thief of time one day from a second hand store and really got into it. Since then I went out and got the whole set and loved them. :)

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:01 pm

I knew I wanted to read them... but I didn't have the time or money, so I waited until I finished uni. I own a lot of them and have read a few more, but I'm not sure WHICH ones I own as they're in anoher province... so have to read the back carefully! So far haven't bought a double that I am aware of!

Although I'm currently out of new books. I just read Feet of Clay and Thud! (I am reading Discworld spectacularly out of order as I purchase the ones I find!)

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 am

Hmm, I like quite a few of the characters, actually. The witches are cool, Ridcully is a funny chap, Susan and Death are also an odd but loveable family, and of course Samuel Vimes and the nightwatch are a good read, too. I quite like the Librarian, the Patrician, and to a lesser degree even Gaspode or CMOT Dibbler. I find Rincewind a bit annyoing with his never-ceasing whining, but he is also good in his own weird way (read Sourcery, ftw), so... it's a hard choice. Actually, there are new characters in about every book I have read so far, and I could relate to most of them - maybe that's the reason I like the series. Or maybe it's the witty humor. :D
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Zambee
Whispers Softly

Post by Zambee » Tue May 07, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm hoping Goodkind will be able to get out another dozen or more books before his alzheimer's gets him. He's a brilliant author and like many of the greats, just gets better with time.
I'm particularly looking forward to the next Moist Von Lipvig story. I think I heard tell it was to be titled "Raising taxes" or something similar.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:18 pm

I like the witches, and my favourite is Tiffany Aching. Although I've used Ridcully-variant usernames in various places on the web, I'm probably most similar to Ponder Stibbons.
All of the Discworld books are great, but my favourite remains Small Gods.

deathofbarney
Of Few Words
UStream Username: deathofbarney

Post by deathofbarney » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:00 pm

my grandmother gave me the pyramids book by him and I wasn't impressed at that age. I was confused as to why the girl on the cover didnt really wear much clothing. I donated to the thrift shop after reading XD
ImageImageImageImage

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:00 am

Pyramids is a bit of a weird book; it's the 7th book, so they get a bit more sophisticated.
Also, If you've got this cover
http://stuffpoint.com/discworld/image/2 ... ramids.jpg
then it's by Josh Kirby, and they're all a bit like that when it comes to depicting the characters stereotypically.

deathofbarney
Of Few Words
UStream Username: deathofbarney

Post by deathofbarney » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 am

Yeah it was that one...
ImageImageImageImage

Iron Sun 254
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Iron Sun 254 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:46 am

I've been reading them for years. I originally thoguht the covers were silly (I didn't care for Josh Kirby's art) but I picked up a copy of Small Gods with a very basic cover and then was hooked.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:32 am

Esme Weatherwax without a doubt is my favourite - although I have plenty of others that come a close second, third and fourth :)
All hail the power of the stick!

Hertzyscowicz
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Hertzyscowicz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:52 pm

For some weird reason, I was rather partial to Nutt, even though he only got one book so far. I'm sort of itching to see where Pratchett would go with that one.

T' Northerner
Of Few Words

Post by T' Northerner » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:10 pm

So since this is the Pratchett thread, I've recently finished his latest discworld book and was wondering what everyone else's thoughts on it where.
► Show Spoiler

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:07 am

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:Esme Weatherwax without a doubt is my favourite - although I have plenty of others that come a close second, third and fourth :)
Who couldn't love a no-nonsense curmudgeon like Granny Weatherwax?

Come on, she can beat anyone else in the books, with the possible exception of Death, by just messing with their heads and making them defeat themselves.

She wouldn't put up with any of that "Political Correctness" nonsense, either! She'd kick it right in the unmentionables.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:43 am

Eh, they've been getting worse lately - starting with Unseen Academicals, Snuff, then Raising Steam.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:02 am

Have any of you or would any of you be interested in playing the Discworld mudd (a text based game with millions of rooms and 1000's of players). I've been thinking of getting back into it, used to play several years ago, but not having people to play with makes it not as fun.

legobrick
Remains Silent

Post by legobrick » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:52 am

My favorite character is totally the luggage. Why can't I have something that cool?

featheredfeath
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by featheredfeath » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:26 am

Vimes is probably my favourite, followed closely by Susan.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:26 am

I've just been reading the Tiffany Aching books. Again, spectacularly out of order!

I really quite enjoy her and the Nac Mac Feegle!

gilleyvanweirden
Mutters to Themself

Post by gilleyvanweirden » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:00 am

I haven't read enough of them to have a favorite yet. I do, however, have a remarkably talented baker for a friend and she may be making a Duchess Cake in the form of the Discworld. I'll post pics if that happens - because what reader doesn't also enjoy cake?