What is "special" about our reality?

Discuss the comic here!
I'mBob
Game Master

What is "special" about our reality?

Post by I'mBob » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:58 am

So that's a question I had in mind for a while, thought of sharing it with you.

Every other reality we see have something special about it, but what in our reality?
To make the question a little clearer, I will explain it in another way:
In most realities, Minmax is dumb and kin is smart, but in reality 51, Kin is dumb and Minmax is smart.

In most realities, goblins are weak first-levels monsters, but in reality 88, they are a much stronger race.

And I can go on like that for a lot of time. It seems there is some kind of a pattern:

In most reality X, but in reality 000, Y.

So what are the X and Y in our reality? Or maybe our reality is the main one, and the others are just spin-offs of it?

I thought that possibly Kin and Minmax love are our special, but it seems too minor for me...

Share your thoughts!
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Re: What is "special" about our reality?

Post by Borys » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:10 am

In most realities MM doesn't care about/wants to kill/is only sexually interested in Kin, but in our reality he loves her.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:45 am

Hmm... arrow flies.. I believe the arrow flies..
Hmmm.. no not really... hmm...
maybe our reality is the only one where some individuals are controlled by entities from another existence all together (AKA has players) that, would be a big difference...
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 am

You're only considering it 'not special' from the perspective of someone whose reality is very similar (i.e. their D&D rules follow the standard form). The other realities' forum readers would probably think 'our' reality is just as weird because everyone's tanned, small, massive, good etc.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:37 am

Hmm.. I do think of it more in the line of X has Paladin cross class, so there are many paladins, Y have Rouge cross class and Z have extremely many rings. besides that, all follow the same rules.. so what are our cross class/rings/thing.. and my guess is "Players".
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:39 am

Maybe rules was the wrong word... 'Campaign setting' might be more appropriate.

Dagazzard
Of Few Words

Post by Dagazzard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:40 pm

I agree with what been said. The spin off thing... And the part about in this reality there is love.

Remember Psimax: http://www.goblinscomic.org/12302011/
"No real point of diversion from the most common multiversal attributes."

He also goes on to say two pages later that love was so mathematical improbable that he suspected they to be the only reality to "suffer from that state".

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:44 am

I would call Minmax throwing a friggin' birthday party for Kin because he wants to be able to like her after one conversation pretty drastic. When you compare that to, say, Ruby's universe, where the difference is basically just "Kin is a badass," it's not that far-fetched that that's the only difference.

If you look at the altsplanation page, a lot of the alternate FMKs aren't that weird. Plenty of 'em are just recolors. The full-page altsplanations we're getting are the most interesting ones, but a lot of the others seem pretty mundane.

Sutremaine
Whispers Softly

Post by Sutremaine » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:46 pm

The face-junk reality don't look that much different, but they have an interesting backstory / campaign setting. We'll probably see something interesting from one of the realities that's currently 'just a recolour'.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:03 pm

I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying. A lot of the alternate FMKs have really spectacular and visible differences from the others, like Minmax being some sort of awful clawmonster or everyone having tentacles, but realities that are kind of mundane by comparison are not unheard-of. Reality #156 is one of them, and Reality #80 is another.

That doesn't mean realities where FMK looks relatively normal are automatically boring; it just means that Reality #156 isn't that out-of-place among the others.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: thread title. Too easy.

What is "special" about our reality? "I am in it". :lol:

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:50 am

My main theories are that 156 is good when most realities are evil, the goblins are different from the standard goblins, or even that Kore exists. After all, which goblins survived beyond Complains,what classes they became, or even if they became adventurers wouldn't have affected FMK up until then, although some of the realities almost assuredly had them be strong enough to do things in Brassmoon. Then there are things like the Kliks (although that would mean that the short drow might have survived a bit longer) which had little impact on FMK, and then things like Kore, Hawl, Saves a Fox, that one Owlbear, and Mister Fingers that have had no affect on them whatsoever.

All things considered, reality 156 may very well be extremely different from the others, but in ways that wouldn't make FMK stand out just yet.
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

My forum game: The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting). OOC.

OnceUponATime
Whispers Softly

Post by OnceUponATime » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Or it could be something completely unrelated to the Goblins storyline.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 pm

This thread reminds me of the Anthropic Principle.
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:24 pm

WhispersToSquirrels wrote:This thread reminds me of the Anthropic Principle.
Isn't it just a little too coincidental that there's both a universe and thinking observers to apply that principle to? :)