Rating wars II: Electric boogaloo (Finals)

For all games that are now over.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Rating wars II: Electric boogaloo (signups closing 14/3)

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:31 am

Ah, I thought I had a link posted in the first post but apparently I didn't! Here you go:

http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=114325

Sadly, the finale is missing, as that was only on the forum that had crashed... I took a look, but I didn't seem able to find the relevant page through help of google cache. I'm going to see if I can find back my part of the finale hiding somewhere on my hard drive, but unless we find the cache, considering Arctic has left the forums, her part would be lost... :/

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:43 am

Alright, I still had my part of the finale saved. :)

I'm not sure where I should put this... Probably in the "completed games" forum- But for now I'll just put it here in a spoiler.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 am

Insane laughter crackles through the room, but it has no visible source. It grows louder and louder and people look in the spot it comes from and try to feel around and try to detect an invisible source, but the detections come up with nothing. Detect magic reveals that it is a low level spell, an illusionary one. Whomever planted it there is just messing with their heads. Shortly after there was person running into the room, screaming with an arrow in his shoulder with a note on it.
It reads,
"Did you like my entertainment? Sad that I did not have much time to prepare for this, I was busy. I could have entertained you even more. Anyways I hear that there is some sort of artifact or something that I would like to get my hands on. I suppose this means using direct means of communication and fight but I would rather not. But I suppose I will join. Just put my name as The Hunter. And do not worry, I will make sure any in my place will be destroyed. Do not bother looking for me, the illusion I put on the zombie should wear off soon.

Sincerely,
Explosive runes"

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 am

Sorry Burns, but if you wanna join your really going to have to sign up according to the proper form. :P

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:17 am

Fiiiiiiiiiiiine

Name: Rex (he has forgotten his original name long time ago)
Nicknames/aliases: Hunter, Lich, Die Monster die, Kami, You do not belong in this world, ect.
Eye color: What are these? Okay, the illusion has black eyes, he has no eyes but has red glowing spots
Hair color: What is this? Illusion is white balding. No hair on self
Age: Illusion appears to be 80s, but in actuality he existed for several centuries.
Race: Illusion is human, he is a lich. Big surprise there.
Appearance: In the illusionary form, he looks like an old man limping with a dark wooden cane (which actually doubles as a staff). In illusionary form he just wears normal clothing. As himself he wears a red hoodie with some golden insignia and red sweat pants. He has a belt that holds potions and a couple bags. He has a bag. He also has an intricate staff.
Weapons/powers: He typically relies on illusions to trick those that fight him, and using zombies as a way to direct people away from him. If a person seems to be resistant to illusions, he uses various summoning magic to fight the person as he hides away invisibly, probably flying.
Biography: Well he was once human. That he is certain. It has been such a long time though since he became what he is today that he has forgotten it all. Perhaps it was the same personality, perhaps not, he is not sure and he does not really care. He does not remember his motives to become a lich, but this is the form he has always known and does not wish to differ from it any more. He was pretty sure that he was a mage, but not as powerful as he is now.
Over the spans of many centuries he has killed various towns and sometimes cities. He generally goes back to hiding afterwards, especially after the incident. Shortly after he became a lich he thought it would be amusing if he can scare people for a while and make people fear and showcase his power. He slaughtered many innocents with undead and various magics and made many cities collapse. The word spreads quickly and there were several people attempting to slay him. One time was particularly close and people thought of him as destroyed, as his body crumbled to the ground and they took most of his stuff. He decided to let them think they had their victory and hid away elsewhere. He sets up various illusions around his base to make sure that adventures do not know which way to go, and have an actual maze inside where he resided so that few will know where to go, along with various traps. Every so often he gets bored of just setting up for traps and he wanders through the nearby towns as an old man to see what is currently going on, and if anything is threatening the city, he makes sure that it's suddenly a much bigger threat as he watches people get slaughtered.
He prefers to hide behind illusions and confusion, but if that fails he does sometimes takes matter into his....well the zombies hands, making sure that they seem to be coming from a completely different place with illusions of mountains and such in the way.
But if he is forced to be more...direct...he uses flying to get around the enemy and attempts to trap a person in place using various spells, and decrease their abilities to fight effectively before he finishes them off with a paralyze and coup de grace before raising them as part of the undead army.
Reason for wanting the Stone:He wishes to research the stone a bit and then try to abuse it the best he can

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 am

Everyone up until now has been added. :)

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:56 am

Name: Kane
Nicknames/aliases: None
Race: Human
Appearance:
- Approx. height of 5ft 11inches
- Has shoulder length, dark brown hair, and is clean shaven.
- Is lean and agile, but has very little in the way of physical strength or endurance.
- Apart from his very light grey, piercing eyes, he is very ordinary looking - he doesnÔÇÖt stand out in crowds, staying in the background as much as possible, and usually avoids doing anything that could attract attention.
- Normally, he tries to wear clothes that let him blend into his surroundings wherever he is - this can be plain brown cloth in small towns and crowds, or more expensive formal wear in the rich districts of cities. His favourite method of blending in is to wear a hooded robe and pretend to be an old, blind beggar, as people rarely pay attention to the poor and infirm.
- Despite his ordinary appearance, his voice is deep and commanding, while at the same time smooth and persuasive. He has developed a range of dialects and voice styles in order to help him blend in, but the façade slips quickly when angry or stressed.

Powers:
► Show Spoiler
Weapons:
► Show Spoiler
Personality:
► Show Spoiler
Extra Information:
► Show Spoiler
Backstory:
► Show Spoiler
Reasons for wanting the Stone: Power and infamy.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:14 am

And added.

Also, a question- Is there anyone left who is still working on their character? Because if not, I may possibly start this up a little bit earlier on monday. A monday seems like a good day to have the deadline on each time, so it may be a better idea to start then. (And honestly, as long as they would still apply within the week, I could just quickly throw them in bracket two of round one.)

Loki
Of Few Words

Post by Loki » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:22 am

I just wanted to chime in that I am out of town on a vacation with my wife with limited computer access from tomorrow until next Saturday. I suppose I could write an entry on Sunday if we started early, but I would prefer to have that day to unwind from our trip. I will of course be happy to do whatever the group decides, but I just wanted to throw my situation out there.
ÔÇ£Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos, IÔÇÖm an agent of chaos , and you know the thing about chaos? ItÔÇÖs fair."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:26 am

Loki wrote:I just wanted to chime in that I am out of town on a vacation with my wife with limited computer access from tomorrow until next Saturday. I suppose I could write an entry on Sunday if we started early, but I would prefer to have that day to unwind from our trip. I will of course be happy to do whatever the group decides, but I just wanted to throw my situation out there.
No problem. I'll just take that into account and put you in the second bracket- To prevent the judges from becoming overloaded with work the maximum amount of battles will be limited to three per week, so you'd have to work on your entry the week after. :)

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:01 pm

If this is not starting yet I would like to join. Still a little hesitant about my character, but I am working on it. Will try and post later today assuming that this thread is still going.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Sure, take your time. :)

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:25 pm

I highly recommend it. I read through most of the first RW and it looks like a lot of fun! I also recommend reading at least a few of the old fights, there's a link around here somewhere. Gives you a pretty good idea of how the game is played, and some of them are very good reads.
I'm no ordinary biscuit. Just look at my horns.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Ok, here is my character. He is (to my knowledge anyways) original, so any heavy similarities are not intentional.

Name: Firorn
Nickname: The Red Walker
Eye Color: Grey-Green
Hair Color: Unknown (bald)
Race: Scrian (homebrew, just look at the description)
Appearance: "You see something out of the corner of your eye. As you turn to look, you see that it is a rather large man, the rest of his characteristics are hidden under his robe."
Firorn is a large humanoid male around 6 feet in height with tanned skin. His robe is a very dark forest green, and he wears it over his armor. His armor is an reddish-orange color and is not so much worn as it is grown from his skin. This armor consists of greaves, chest-plate, and arm guards; covering all of his vulnerable points (except for feet and head) and can not be pried from his body. Over his feet he wears a pair of well-worn brown boots. Strapped to his back is a halberd, but that is not his sole weapon. His hands end in long dextrous claws which look ripe for eviscerating someone.
Weapons: 2 sets of claws, 1 enchanted halberd (named Silvara), and several javelins.
Powers:
1)Passive: Firorn has the ability to regenerate small cuts in several minutes, larger wounds in an hour, and can replace limbs in several days. His armor can not be pried off and acts as full-plate armor. He has low-light vision but lacks dark vision. He also has a natural immunity to all natural (non-spell like) poisons and diseases.
2)Active: He has several spells at his command, mostly spells that have to deal with healing, ice, and a few spells that aid in surviving the wilderness. (I like to pull from the DND 3.5 spell list so look there to get an idea of the types of spells.)
3)Silvara: Silvara is an intelligent glaive formed from the primal force of preservation. It's mission is to be used against those that seek to destroy, to thwart their plans or, if necessary, to kill them in order for others to be preserved. While Silvara can influence it's wielder, it and Firorn have developed a rapport. Thus the two of them work in concert and neither seeks to influence the others decision. She, for Silvara considers itself belonging to the female gender, can cast spells similar to a 3.5 DnD Cleric, but only spells that deal with preserving some ideal, person, animal, or group.She can cast her own repertoire of spells without Firorn's consent, but rarely uses them against him. In fact, Silvara seems to believe that it is in love with Firorn (for that is the depth of their bond), and will always attempt to influence others in returning her to him.
Biography: Born to a High House in the Scrian Dominion, Firorn was taught from a young age that his people were superior to all others. They had long since found the ability to bind their genetic code with that of various creatures, and thus they had no equals. Firorn accepted this as fact and never questioned his people's dominance. However, as all things must come to an end, his nation was torn asunder by the various houses. His people were massacred by the surrounding nations and creatures, as the commonly held-view was that the Scrian were abominations in the eyes of the gods. A species that was never meant to be. Firorn's house, the mighty house of Tarrasque, fought the invaders, but even those with the blood of the ancient creatures will eventually fall.
Firorn, like many in his house, kept no track of time as they did not age. It was their belief that they were effectively immortal; after all, none of them died from old age and their defensive capabilities were formidable. However, as they fell during that campaign, Firorn began to fear for his life. Imagine, if you can, what it would be like to have lived for uncounted years, believing yourself immortal, only to see your brothers and sisters cut down by common men and animals. In his sudden and overwhelming fear, Firorn, together with his sister Nimnirnal, fled from the advancing alliance. The two of them, as well as members from several other houses, sought and gained refuge in the mountain citadels of the Grey Elves, whom they had long had a trade agreement with. It was here that Firorn felt the loss of so many of his house, for they had been a tight-knit group. It was in these enclosed walls that he felt a longing to be truly immortal. To be truly immortal would be a wondrous thing, as he would no longer have to live with this new-found fear of death. And so, on the behalf of his people, mostly himself and his sister; Firorn and several other surviving Scrian set out to locate the Maker's Stone.
During this travels around the world and even around other dimensions and planes of existence, Firorn studied existence. He sought to understand why his people had to die. Why death even existed. While he never found a suitable answer, he did meet plenty of new and interesting people and ideas. Eventually he met the weapon the referred to itself as Silvara. This provided fresh fervor for his search for here was something that could not die, surely it must know the secret to immortality. However, in this subject Silvara had no knowledge, but what she did have was knowledge of the arcane and divine arts. Thus began Firorn's studies into the mysteries. At some point in this travels, he does not know when he first heard the tales, he had become a legend and a rumor to the people of this existence. He was known as the Red Walker, red for the color of his armor, and his tale was told to all that would listen.
As the seasons passed and the others died, Firorn kept searching. After his people had migrated back to their homeland and attempted to build anew, Firorn kept searching. As he faded into legend, and his sister left to places unknown, he kept searching. When his house was forgotten and his old people lived their lives unaware of his mission, he kept searching. And again he thinks he is drawing close to fulfilling his long and wearying mission. This is not a new thought for him, but this time he feels as if he is truly close to achieving his goal. All that is left is for him to slay these upstart adventures and claim the stone for himself.
Reason for wanting the stone: Firorn craves the stone in order to make himself truly immortal.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 pm

I must say that while looking over the other entries, this seems like it will be a very fun game. While I do not anticipate myself doing very well, this should be a very entertaining and informative session. Hopefully it will help me become a better creative writer. Looking forward to getting this party started.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Yup. :)

On that note, when would you guys want to start? The time for each entry will at all times be a week. So if you guys would be fine with any day I could start tomorrow as it seems unlikely there will be any last second participant (and if so, I'll just quickly put them in the second group as long as it'd still be possible.)

If you guys however would rather the event ends on a day like sunday/monday, we'd have to wait until then to actually start the game. Either that or everyone must be in agreement that they generally don't mind having a day less, in which case I could for example start it tomorrow, and have the contest end late monday. Does any of that sound good for you guys?

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:58 pm

I am fine with starting when ever. I will be ok with starting later if everyone else want to, but I would like the starting date to be sooner rather than later. I have at least an hour open every day so I can participate on any given day.

PSychotic
Of Few Words

Post by PSychotic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm good for anything M0rt. Mostly been sharpening and preparing my badly metaphored ink sword all week. It's gonna cut clean, I know it will.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

The sooner the better in my opinion. I'm pretty excited :D
I'm no ordinary biscuit. Just look at my horns.

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Please start it on a Monday or Tuesday so that the weekend is free to fine tune work.
"Winter is coming"

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 pm

Okay... To my own disgrace... I just noticed this thread... I am thinking hard if I should really join as a none-native-speaker/writer, but I would LIKE it... besides... Can I still join ? ^^

You guys really need a female Character in there... :D

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 am

Non-native isn't a problem - Mort's not a native English speaker, and he won last time.

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:44 am

Dusk9 wrote:Non-native isn't a problem - Mort's not a native English speaker, and he won last time.
QFT
"Winter is coming"

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:26 am

Admittedly Reads was so kind to help with proofreading my work... :shifty:
That being said it really isnt a problem! Im hoping youll sign up. Im going to start this later today, but i will add you in the second round unless you finish a character by that time in which case dice :)

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 am

Auuugh starting it today? When do we have to have them in for? I'm out of town this weekend! It's my first and only time out of town since October and will be the last time I'm out of town until summer! Go figure :P
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!