Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:50 pm

((Yeah.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:36 am

Lurn sends a bolt of radiance through a hobgoblin next to Celus who drops un-moving but continues to glow softly. Lurn then turns his attention to another of the hobs and attempting to toll its life away, unfortunately the hob doesn't even appear to notice that an attempt was just on its life.

The rest of Lurn's group catches up, excepting Indra who goes in to join Arbelm and jabs at the hobgoblin threatening the Corporal. The hobgoblin manages to get his shield up to block the blow and casts a hopeful eye to the tree line.
Initiative:
Arbelm
Group 1
Wizards
Lurn and co
Group 3
Kroshav and co <----
Jaq
Jesp and co
Group 2
Soldiers

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:53 am

((How dense is the underbrush? 30ft only gets me to the edge of the woods, if I can't make out anyone from there, it'll have been pointless. Grrr.
Three options in mind, and two of them are gambles.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:53 am

(I don't see Jaq on the map, also, from where he is at, does he see any of the hobs at the tree line or the one fleeing?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:29 am

((Not especially dense but you will make some sound moving through it unless you actively are trying to be quiet.

Jaq was so sneaky I cropped him out! New map, just the northern groups.
► Show Spoiler
))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:47 am

((Nah, not trying to sneak, or even enter, wanted to know if it was so dense it would block all lines of sight. Literarily just want to get visual on one of them.))

Kroshav mutters a plea to the Five and hurries in the direction of the woods, peering to see if he can spot anyone within.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:55 am

Kroshav moves forward to the edge of the trees and, tracking the sound of movement, catches flashes of hobs moving through the woods. They can't be more than 60 or 70 feet in, nearly due east of him. There is some more distant crunching to the SE but Kroshav can't see anyone.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:07 am

Jaq goes in after the hobs, he is trying to get sight on any of the magic users.

If he can see a mage before reaching his regular movement, he will using cunning action to hide and then he will fire at them with an arrow.

If he cannot see a mage after using his regular movement he will use his cunning action to move again and see if he can see any hobgoblin.
If he sees them, he will fire at them with his action, shooting at mage if he sees one, otherwise just a regular warrior.

If after his regular movement and cunning action he still doesn't see hobs, he will dash and use the other 30 feet of movement to try to catch up to them a bit.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:27 am

((Jaq can see them with his regular movement but they are about 70 feet south and 10 east of you. He can take the shot but they will have 3/4 cover. If he takes the extra movement to close the distance he thinks he can reduce it to half cover.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:16 am

He will take the extra movement and find a spot with 1/2 cover only and then take the shot. At a caster preferably.

Longbow attack: 1D20+8 = [18]+8 = 26

Longbow damage: 1D8+6 = [4]+6 = 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:21 am

Kroshav barks out a command at the mage, if spotted and within 60 ft, otherwise whichever forest hob is closest.

"APPROACH!'

((I typed up a whole thing waffling back and forth, but I guess I'm just going to try it, and be sad if it doesn't work. If it fails the DC 14 Wis save, I will make a case that "Approach. The target moves toward you by the shortest and most direct route, ending its turn if it moves within 5 feet of you." should mean that since its turn doesn't end if it isn't within 5 ft of me, that it would use a dash action to continue following the command (ie, not using action to attack or dash away).))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Kroshav sends his command into the forest and before it can stop echoing the hobs to his east start shouting in confusion as one of their number turns to look back. As the hob, their caster, turns she is struck by an expertly aimed arrow from somewhere. The caster doesn't respond but the three around her do, yelling something and pointing to the east.

Kroshav notices Jesp and Gisper both stumble out of the fog to his south and, seeing no hobgoblins, begin moving north towards the dragonborn, Jesp waving. Kroshav's attention is drawn back to the forest as the yells pick up in intensity as the caster begins running, slowly at first but rapidly picking up speed as she charges heedlessly though the branches and brush to stand directly in front of Kroshav. Her companions hesitate for a moment before joining her, confusion written across their faces, taking positions beside and behind her.
Arbelm swings at the hob in front of her and neatly slices through its throat, dropping it. The last remaining hobgoblin is dead so it does nothing disengages and moves toward the tree line and support from his newly returned allies!
The last fog cloud disappears to the south, revealing nothing but grass and bushes.

Initiative:
Arbelm
Group 1
Wizards
Lurn and co <----
Group 3
Kroshav and co
Jaq
Jesp and co
Group 2
Soldiers
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:56 pm

Dama and Celus the Blessed attack the hob before it disengages, and Jolly the sprints to catch up to Kroshav as much as he can.

((If Celus and Dama manage to put the hob down, they (and Hep) will move towards the trees too.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:09 pm

Lurn casts Bless on Indra, Arbelm, and himself, making whatever movement is necessary to have them in range. Gesturing to the hob that just disengaged, he looks at the two who just caught up, "Time to put those rocks to use."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:30 am

Before the hobgoblin can disengage Celus cuts him down and then moves to back Kroshav up. Dama and Hep move in as well to back up their group leader.
Lurn moves forward and blesses the Corporal and Indra, his two followers staying as close as they can behind him and ready their rocks.

Kroshav and the two dwarves hear shouting from the forest and one of the four hobgoblins drawn out by Kroshav shouts something back. The dwarves don't appear to have understood what was said any better than Kroshav.

Initiative:
Arbelm
Group 1
Wizards
Lurn and co
Group 3
Kroshav and co <----
Jaq
Jesp and co
Group 2
Soldiers

((@Dlover, What would you like Indra to do?
@Spider, Not sure that Dama was blessed, just Jolly, Kroshav and Celus?))

Map:
((I shifted the map 40 feet to the east so Jaq would show up. There are probably some small differences within the forest but the distances between people stayed fixed! Also I added a symbol to denote who has blessing, it is maybe too tiny to make out but it is a black wing symbol in the top right of the character icon.))
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:29 am

((For now, supporting Arbelm without getting too far ahead of the team is best for Indra.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:35 am

((Okay, she is one north of Arbelm now.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:31 am

((Yes, just Kroshav, Jolly and Celus were blessed, not Dama or Hep.))

Kroshav grins. "Thanks for coming back, we still had some questions."

Blessed Longsword: Caster: 1D20+7+1D4 = [5]+7+[3] = 15
1D8+7 = [3]+7 = 10

"Knock one of them out!"

Celus signals Jolly to circle around the hobs to the right, while he takes the left.

((Dash to circle around and flank the easternmost hob.))

Hep bravely stays close to Dama, who fires on one of the non-casters.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:56 am

The hobgoblin caster tries to get her staff up to block Kroshav's blow but doesn't manage in time as the blade slices a deep cut despite her twisting away.

Dama releases an arrow into the hob north of the caster that hits him in the chest, sinking almost to the fletching. The hob looks bad but doesn't drop.
Initiative:
Arbelm
Group 1
Wizards
Lurn and co
Group 3
Kroshav and co
Jaq <----
Jesp and co
Group 2
Soldiers

Map:
► Show Spoiler
((Like this Spider? I couldn't get Jolly and Celus to loop quite wide enough otherwise to avoid the AoO of passing the two front line hobs. As they are now it is big old mess of flanking.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:02 am

((Yep! Hobs can't flee without disengaging and/or taking OppAtt.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:55 am

stealth with disadvantage due to exhaustion: 2D20.LOW(1)+9 = [14, 13]+9 = 22

Jaq will quietly move south, going as far as 30 feet, watching for any hobs in the forest. As soon as he sees one, he will stop his movement and if he has a decent shot, without 3/4 cover, will take the shot, and then he will use the remaining movement and his cunning action to hide.

If he does not see hobs within 30 feet, he will use dash to keep moving south.
He will then Hide using cunning action.

Longbow attack if needed.: 1D20+8 = [14]+8 = 22

longbow damage if needed.: 1D8+6 = [8]+6 = 14

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Jaq moves quietly south until he spots the back of a hobgoblin that looks to be next to Celus. Positioning himself to avoid most of the branches between them Jaq sends an arrow into the hob's back who falls with a surprised grunt against a tree.

Jesp and Gisper both move up to join in the fight, Gisper isn't quite with in range and moves in beside Jolly and Jesp. Jesp swings his maul twice at the hob north of him but doesn't manage to connect with either. Ern and Amar also take shots at the same hobgoblin but both under shoot him.
The caster hob glances behind her at her newly fallen comrade and at the ever increasing number of foes. She says something no one nearby seems to understand, other than her companions who give nods, before saying with a significant amount of venom,

"Don't thank me quite yet lizard."

She raises her hand and says a few quick phrases as a burst of flame leaps from her finger to a point just behind Kroshav. There is a brief moment where everything seems to go silent and a rush of air before the explosion of flame washes over the dragonborn, Jolly, Celus and the dwarves but somehow curves around the three remaining hobs. Jesp is able to get his shield in front of him but the other three don't manage to react in time, Jolly and Gisper fall with screams, Gisper still burning. Celus takes the blast and is clearly hurt but doesn't fall.

The caster hob looks surprised as many survived as did and directs both to attack Kroshav but both of the hobs are still blinking the light from their eyes and don't manage to connect.
Initiative:
Arbelm
Group 1
Wizards
Lurn and co <----
Group 3
Kroshav and co
Jaq
Jesp and co
Group 2
Soldiers

((Dex save from Kroshav please!

Also map:
► Show Spoiler
))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Dex Save: 1D20 = [5] = 5

((But resistance, so taking 10. Are Gisper and Jolly unconscious? Dead? Dying?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:36 pm

((That's going to take a med check to determine, but Gisper is still actively burning, as are all the trees caught in the blast.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:39 pm

((Noted.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler