Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon May 18, 2020 6:38 am

These saddles will accommodate him but they are clearly made to keep backsides in place rather than keep them comfortable. The leather on one seems perhaps a fraction more forgiving. They are, as one would expect from a country known for its cavalry and horsemanship, of the highest quality and craftsmanship. The lances appear standard issue, one more or less like the rest. They are of high quality but nothing special.

Picking the saddle that he likes the most the woman nods and says,

"Woulda been the one I'd pick for you to. Good pick." She spins the lance Kroshav picked and hefts it before returning it. "Good enough. Saddle and lance will be 25 for a paladin of the Fist." Before Kroshav can answer she looks to a field where the Balyon horses are being kept and adds more quietly, "And if you can keep it quiet, we can probably get a you proper for horse for that saddle."

She looks back at Kroshav and raises a questioning eyebrow.

((You can roll a intelligence/history on what she just said and try and haggle if you want, of course.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon May 18, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon May 18, 2020 6:57 am

((History: 1D20-2 = [1]-2 = -1
))

"Don't suppose you've seen anyone through with a horse that answers to Charlie? Bout this tall, likes oats?", Kroshav asks cluelessly.

Kroshav hands over the 25 gold and thanks them again.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon May 18, 2020 7:14 am

She laughs and shakes her head,

"No, no we have no Charlies here. If you change your mind and would like a Balyon charger, I am sure we can get the captain to sign off on a gelding in need of a new rider. We are here until tomorrow early. Enjoy your saddle and I hope you find your Charlie!"

She takes the gold, pulls out a book from her pocket and marks a few things down as Kroshav moves away.

((Well Kroshav is clueless but Lurn, if he was nearby, would know that Balyon's military horses are highly valued and their breeding lines are never sold outside the Republic. They are reputed as the best on the continent. It would be quite the status symbol to have one.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 am

((On Kroshav's question of whether Lurn remembers the other officer's name, it would just be a no for Lurn.))

"I imagine you'll prefer having Charlie back, emotional attachment and all, but if we can't find him then a Balyon charger would be a good horse to have, no doubting that. Good as a horse can be, really."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon May 18, 2020 8:19 am

"Oh! I see... how much would you be asking for the gelding? Just in case."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon May 18, 2020 2:08 pm

"Don't think the captain would let him go for less than 700 or 800." She looks at Lurn and smiles, "No better horse, period! You a boy from the steppes? Good herds that side of the country!" She seems ready to continue when a trio of Balyon troops get her attention. She says to Kroshav, "Let me know tonight if you are interested, otherwise safe travels paladin!"

((This horse is better mechanically than a standard horse.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon May 18, 2020 2:26 pm

"I appreciate the offer, but that's a fair bit more than I can afford. Worth every gold, I am sure, for the best horses money can buy, but more than I have. I'm sure the gods will provide. I appreciate the saddle and lance, however! Safe travels home."

((Guess if they breed the best horses, that's why they've got the best cavalry! I'd hope they are mechanically better, at nearly twice the cost of a warhorse?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon May 18, 2020 5:11 pm

Cary pauses for a second, "How much buying do you tend to do on these circuits of yours?"
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon May 18, 2020 7:25 pm

"Aye, though even we from the Steppes can't always have a horse of our own."

((Paladins learn Find Steed, right? I don't suppose it's such a convenient spell as to just find your horse?))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 pm

((Yes, that's my plan, but want to find Charlie first, before summoning a celestial mount that is probably smarter and more capable than these 800 gold Baylon steeds! Don't want Charlie to get jealous. Charlie for riding, paladin mount for fighting.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue May 19, 2020 1:23 am

Girn walks Kroshav and co. over to Tarneth who immediately offers,

"You can put that inside the tent here, unless you plan on packing all that around while you look for Charlie? If you are ready lets go get you into the Duchy's camp."

((Assuming a yes))

Tarneth heads into camp, without being stopped and with near constant salutes, to a large, open tent where a a half dozen soldiers of differing ranks are standing speaking. Tarneth walks in without being stopped and heads to a woman sitting at a table being assisted by a half dozen aides, all writing and filling pages. He salutes the woman who rises and salutes him back. He quickly explains the situation with Grey but looks to Kroshav and Lurn to fill in the details as the woman says,

"Would you have his full name or where he was from? Commanding officer would be good or some other detail?" She gestures to an aide who begins goes to a chest and pulls out two large volumes and brings them to her paper covered desk.

((I would say that it is pretty common knowledge that Balyon chargers are faster, stronger and more robust compared to standard warhorses. The summoned warhorse has its benefits, being smarter and having telepathic communication, but it wouldn't be superior horse.))
---
The gnome answers Cary,

"Well depends on how much people are buying from me and what they are buying. I have a few places I tend to make the majority of my purchases, where I have established relationships you understand, but I do buy herbs and other perishables as I go. I picked up a few small things in Stenrek and Seat but otherwise the last real restock was in Balyon."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue May 19, 2020 4:55 am

► Show Spoiler
"I don't recall a last name, he was Farmer Tom's son, they gave us food and a place to sleep. Ves, she's not here, but she was friends with them from before, and asked Tom to mind our horses while we were gone. They joined a squad we'd met while they were patrolling the road, I don't remember the commanding officer's name, but she and Fink were the only two left... They got honored at the ceremony the other day.

((Perhaps some day, if you allow find greater steed, I'll upgrade! I spend most of the gold Kroshav had on a saddle and a lance, an 800 gold charger is a bit outside the pay scale I'm at! My celestial warhorse might be not as good of a horse, but at least if it gets scooped up by a roc, I can summon it back again rather than watching 800 gold get carried away!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue May 19, 2020 5:35 am

"Ceremony? Oh, oh yes...the 214th, Captain Tormisan's Patrol." As she says this the aid opens one of the books and begins flipping though, until he finds what he is looking for and lifts the book and turns it so the woman in charge can read.

"Grey you say? Well, neither Captain Masela nor Corporal Fink were able to confirm his death, meaning he was still up when they left. He is marked as Missing in action, presumed dead. Awarded Tree of the Realm and death benefit, sent to registered family." She looks at something in the large book and confers with another aid that opens a smaller book and clarifies a point. "The death benefit was sent to the family by the remaining officers in the patrol, in this case that means Captain Masela would be delivering the news," She looks back in the large book and grimaces as she runs a finger down the page. "Yes she will be delivering it to all the families of those lost. We don't have current deployment records in here if you are looking for Captain Masela, you'll need to check at the logistics office or the command tent for that."

((For 800 gold you ride along with the roc! Actually had a roc eat a player on Sunday. They mean business!

Greater steed is far off, but that would definitely be better than a charger. Hard to beat flying!

So far as pay scales go I thought I was being pretty generous with the money but it has ended up pretty centralized in Joe and Jaq's pockets. I guess it makes sense as they are the ones most interested in treasure.))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue May 19, 2020 6:25 am

(Jaq will be dealing with that...once they are far away from the army.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue May 19, 2020 6:26 am

"Not confirmed? I would like to Captain Masela then... Lurn, would you be wanting to help find and provide burial rites for those that fell between here and... was it Narmyr they were coming from?"

((Kroshav found his mentor and got promoted to paladin (provisionally), and got awarded a very nice tree. He feels properly appreciated by everyone but Tyr.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 19, 2020 7:25 am

"Do ye have scrolls o' Id'ntify? Tha may help out our search a bit."

deception [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14
(Joe has other motives for having identify scroll)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue May 19, 2020 8:08 am

The woman thinks and says,

"I believe they were between Narmyr and Tall, wasn't it? Protecting the refugees from Narmyr?" She looks to her aids and one nods, three shrug and the other two don't look up form what they are doing. "We lost control of that area for just short of a week after that, but yes, speaking with the captain would be the quickest way of find out what people's current statuses are. We have a backlog to work though." She gives a gesture to several piles of paper. "Good luck paladins."

Assuming you want to find Masela's whereabouts Tarneth takes you the logistics tent, which is very busy. Tarneth cuts in and finds another administrator, an elven man, sitting quietly copying information from one page to another. The elf asks, without looking up from what he is doing, what he can do for you and Tarneth explains you are looking a Captain Masela. The elf pauses in his copying long enough to turn a page before continuing and says,

"She had orders to depart this afternoon. She was in command of the group protecting the conscripts heading west this morning."

Tarneth looks at Kroshav questioningly.

((@Spider, and that is that isn't the attitude that is going to win Tyr over!))
---
"Well, yes. I do in fact have scrolls, but I can also offer the service to you for a lower rate than a scroll would run!"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 19, 2020 8:20 am

"Ah would like a scroll so Ah can do it mehself on meh trav'ls."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 am

"Ah, competition! You got everything you need for it? I happen to know a handsome gnome with a variety of spell components."

He winks.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue May 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Cary adjusts her gaze..."So you haven't been solicited to buy more rare magical items...say like this Ioun stone that's buzzing around here?"
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue May 19, 2020 1:53 pm

"It is distracting, isn't it?" He watches it spin around Joe's large red hat for a few moments before shaking his head. "Not really, those are hard to find in the Duchy. It's all about jewelry and clothing here, Gez has more practical items like that stone of..." He squints, "looks like alertness? Or maybe strength? Are you interested in buying?"

((You're still riding a nat 20 insight, so far he has been on the level about his business.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue May 19, 2020 4:47 pm

((West would be the direction to make it back to Tom's farm anyway, yes?))

Kroshav nods, "I might be heading west then. Do you happen to know which squad horses conscripted from Tall would be in?"

((He's just feeling the sting of rejection, he'll come around.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue May 19, 2020 7:24 pm

(In reply to Kroshav's question of burials): "All the fall deserve a proper burial, even if it takes time to achieve. I suspect I may be traveling around the area for quite some time seeking unburied souls."

((Lurn would have been more than willing to lend coin to Kroshav, but even if I hadn't donated the two platinum to the temple, my coins would total to just around 100GP. Around 500 counting the military cheques, but I doubt they'd be accepted.))
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Joe gives a grin.”Not direct comp’t’on. Or at least Ah donnae think so, unless ye be rummag’ng around ruins. As fer components... I think Ah may need em? Ah wanna try somethin’ else forst befer seein’ if Ah need it.”

Joe conjures a large pearl. ”Ah have nay tried this fer a spell befer do ya think it may work?”

(The price is not specified nor if it can or cannot be used in spells. It only states 3 foot and no more than 10 pounds, something Joe has seen before and non magical so I am hoping this might work?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 20, 2020 3:04 am

The elf pauses in his writing and looks slowly up at Kroshav, a look of confusion on his face.

"Horse conscripts? You mean horse purchases? From Tall? I am not sure where..." He looks off to the side, towards a blank tent wall for several long seconds. "Mmm. They would have been placed in the general supply inventories and then..." He looks back to his copying and continues, "Unfortunately not. It would have been placed into a general tally of assets available."

((West is the way back to Tall, as well as Stenrek.))

Tarneth answers Lurn quietly,

"If there were any bodies they would have been properly taken care of when they were found. It is likely there wasn't anything to find, and they would have looked."

----
"I prefer to stay in civilization, thank you." He watches with interest as Joe creates a glowing pearl and shakes his head. "You mean for the spell then? Well let me put it this way, that pearl you are holding there? I would give you exactly nothing for it. When you try and use it as a component it will simply not...register? If things like that worked I would have far less business!"

((Interesting try there but I went with Crawford's interpretation that the object created doesn't have any value!))