PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7959
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:08 am

Izzy let's the others know what she can see, examining the Unown carefully. Is there any sort of pattern to them? Do they spell out a magical ward or something of the sort?

She also experimentally sends a gust of wind down the horizontal shaft, to see if they react at all.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Synch
Game Master
Posts: 4753
Location: New Zealand

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Synch » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:07 am

Bjorn turns to Luna, "Um, is it wise to let whatever this is out?" Bjorn attenpts to call down to whatever is below. "Can you hear me? Who or what are you?"

He attempts to Dry Ice the padlock to make it brittle enough to break with a kick.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6048

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:20 am

Koa's about to follow along, but stops in his tracks. What's this question all-of-a-sudden? Who's this Gayle person, is that the oracle Matthias talked about before? More importantly why was this question being asked? Some kind-of... test?

Considering the Sons of Aether and their motives, Koa's eyes widen slightly with realization.

"This question's about Pam, isn't it? It's not about making the right judge of character. It's about someone that risks the whole world just by being alive... and if we'd take the risk and let her keep her second chance."

"...It's a risk the Overseer decided not to take. And they might be right to think that," Koa gives a thoughtful sigh. "But what if... it's not that they decided not to take that risk, it's more that they can't take it? The Overseer's like a big representation of Order, aren't they? For them it's not about right or wrong, it's about making the correct choice. One life at the risk of all of 'em? Even if it's a one-in-a-million chance it'd turn for the worse, they'd pick the world over Pam every time."

"But just 'cause it's the correct choice... well that doesn't mean it's the right one, yeah?" Koa gives a wary glance to Matthias as Koa tiptoes potential blasphemy. "I mean, it usually is, but... there's also reasons you put your trust in people. You trust 'em to make good decisions, yeah? Even if you don't always agree. So if we're the Chosen Ones like you say, then that just means we can make some choices the Overseer wouldn't make, ones he can't make. And it still might turn out for the better."

"It's a really tough question, though, for a human like me to answer... but it's a question we'll have to answer eventually, huh?" Koa says, shifting uncomfortably. That non-answer seems to be his answer, as he doesn't say anything more.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 13626

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 am

Koa, Alex, (Drake)

"Whether or not that second chance is deserved depends upon how great the risk is, and what you mean by 'everything.' We all like to say that everyone deserves a second chance, but if they're likely to harm others then perhaps they don't deserve it, or need to be kept on a short leash."

Matthias is about to offer some kind of response, as Koa chimes in with his own thoughts- And supposed realizations.

"This question's about Pam, isn't it? It's not about making the right judge of character. It's about someone that risks the whole world just by being alive... and if we'd take the risk and let her keep her second chance."

"...It's a risk the Overseer decided not to take. And they might be right to think that, but what if... it's not that they decided not to take that risk, it's more that they can't take it? The Overseer's like a big representation of Order, aren't they? For them it's not about right or wrong, it's about making the correct choice. One life at the risk of all of 'em? Even if it's a one-in-a-million chance it'd turn for the worse, they'd pick the world over Pam every time."

"But just 'cause it's the correct choice... well that doesn't mean it's the right one, yeah? I mean, it usually is, but... there's also reasons you put your trust in people. You trust 'em to make good decisions, yeah? Even if you don't always agree. So if we're the Chosen Ones like you say, then that just means we can make some choices the Overseer wouldn't make, ones he can't make. And it still might turn out for the better."

"It's a really tough question, though, for a human like me to answer... but it's a question we'll have to answer eventually, huh?"


Matthias stares calmly that same lazy grin present on his face as he appears to deliberate, Magnus let's out a slight groan as he's coming to realize that just knocking the old man out WOULD have been faster. As, finally, he speaks again.

"...I've absolutely no clue who, or what you're talking about, I'm afraid! It sounds like important matters, but... Ah- I suppose it is for the chosen ones, alone." he says, for a moment his teeth seeming to grit, before he returns with that same, somewhat inherently creepy smile.

"But if the Grand Overseer has decided on this persons fate already, I think it should be for none of us to doubt! But I do not think it relevant to the question I was asking. Though I'll admit, I'm not certain what it is she intends to ask. If I may only guess, she has seen the future, and deduced some paths that things she can go... But asking outright apparently tends to upset fate- Heh." the man pauses for a moment, scratching his goatee in thought, before continuing.

"But perhaps... Whatever it is you're talking about- The conundrum you hold, well, I suppose today could be a trial run..?"

Izzy, Haley, (Irene), (Bruce)

Haley, after webbing down into one of the vents, asks if anyone knows what those unown mean- But even Luna seems to have no real idea, only mentioning her temple had no such thing. Whatever that means... Touching one of the unown at least doesn't seem to do anything, not even really feeling anything while it's "inside" the wall- Except that the wall feels warm, and the unown itself in particular does too, even with it's eye closed.

Izzy does some of her expirements of her own, trying to see if she can spot any patterns... But doesn't really anything defining. There are a couple short patterns that seem like they might repeat, such as "MIND"- But that is all, really. At least a gust of wind through one of the vents seems to illicit no reaction whatsoever.

Bjorn

"Um, is it wise to let whatever this is out?"

"I've no idea..! Maybe... Whatever it is will be more angry at them than it'd be at us..?" she notes, seeming rather doubtful as Bjorn already begins to weaken the lock, before calling out below, asking if he can be heard. His effort is immediately rewarded with a couple frantic pushes of the tile- But no words, or pokemon sounds alike, only silence. Luna doesn't seem more at ease by it, though Bjorn thinks a couple good smacks against the frozen chains of the lock could potentially break it.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6048

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:25 am

Right! The trainers are here for a reason - Koa got so caught up in the sudden question he forgot momentarily.

Koa gestures to Matthias to lead the, sending a quick mental question back down to Bjorn.

~Bjorn, you OK? We're going upstairs.~

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7959
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Deciding that the Unown are probably benign, Izzy climbs back up (or gets Isabella to pull her up), then re-releases Maku.

"Okay, grab on to the rope and Maku can lower you guys down. Then I'll just float down once everyone is inside - seems like the easiest way to do this, right?"
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 17367
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:00 pm

(I thought Maku lifted her up?)

User avatar
Synch
Game Master
Posts: 4753
Location: New Zealand

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Synch » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:01 pm

"Okay this may be a dumb idea Luna, but that's my specialty. Step well clear from whatever may come out. Pyre, get ready in case it's hostile."

Bjorn kicks down at the lock until it breaks, commando rolling away as soon as it does and shielding Luna.

Bjorn Athletics check: 6D6 = [6, 6, 4, 5, 5, 1] = 27
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Natrivv
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1512

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Natrivv » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 am

Once she gets into the tunnel Irene looks around trying to remember anything related to the unkown lore wise.

Deciding to be a little bold Irene decides to just to talk the Unkown. Umm... Hi, soo... there are some people trying to abuse the temples powers for their own gain, and we're trying to prevent that. Do you know where we should be going?

Irene occult check [4d6] = 13

Irene psychic charm check [5d6+2] = 16+2 = 18

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 13626

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Koa, (Alex), (Drake)

Koa nods in agreement, and looks ready to move on- Matthias shrugging.

"I think she was hoping for a simple yes or no answer, but... I suppose I'll relay what you said!" he nods, before turning and scurrying off, though seemingly trying to stay ahead, eventually seeming to come to a slightly winded stop.

"I... Hah... Didn't think ahead about how I was going to get back up before you guys... Usually I'd just have the temple teleport me around floors, but, well, seems that's down too, isn't it? That Grim sure is a scary fellow..."

Magnus grumbles, for a moment his lips parting with a slight grimace as if he was about to say something- Just barely stopping himself.

Bjorn

"Okay this may be a dumb idea Luna, but that's my specialty. Step well clear from whatever may come out. Pyre, get ready in case it's hostile."

Luna gulps as Bjorn ignores Koa's words for now, and he shatters the lock. But a second after, there's another thud from below- But this time, the force behind it seems to find the stone to lift... And slowly, so it does- Guided by an unseen force, the hatch is opened in full, before the stone trapdoor slams down in the open position. And slowly, the source of the invisible hand that guided it begins to rise up from the hole.

A small core of a being rose up, by no means large, but several appendages waving about around it's body. It's multitude of eyes stared intently at the trainer, before suddenly shifting off to the side- Slowly rising further out of the hole, it seemingly became focused on part of the floor, as slowly one of it's appendages lowered... Dragging itself across the floor, before being lifted up, revealing a horrible truth:

Dust.

This seemingly made the Sigilyph rather upset, flapping back down- Soon appearing with further reinforcements, and cleaning supplies, from what appears to be the basement level.

Izzy, Irene, Haley, (Bruce)

"Okay, grab on to the rope and Maku can lower you guys down. Then I'll just float down once everyone is inside - seems like the easiest way to do this, right?"

"Right... Good idea." Jeremy agrees, though not first to climb down- Following only a short while later. He does wonder one good point, however.

"So, there's... A couple different levels, and four different directions..? Do we... Want to split up, or all go along the same route..?"

Debating about what approach to take, Irene at least already found herself in one of the vents. Trying to plead with the multitude of unown surrounding her.

Umm... Hi, soo... there are some people trying to abuse the temples powers for their own gain, and we're trying to prevent that. Do you know where we should be going?

Sadly, there seems to be absolutely no response from the unown in question. Whether that is because they are ignoring her, can't respond, or both, is a mystery. She tries to rack her brain about anything that could be useful, but can't think of any new information that would actually help in the moment. She already knows these unown should be forming some kind of hive mind that controls the temple. At least, assuming it follows the fairy temple- But it'd be quite odd if the psychic temple, of all places, did not operate like that. As for this specific arrangement... Well, they all lead to that "spike", in a certain sense..?

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6048

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Fluff Athletics climbing tower stairs: 4d6+2 = [6, 5, 4, 1] = 18

Koa hustles along, not getting winded quite yet this early in the climb. He looks over his shoulder to see how Alex and Drake are doing, wondering if it would be faster just to leave Matthias behind, even if he does know the way to go.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13430
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Athletics: 2D6+2 = [5, 4]+2 = 11

Only a little puffed himself, Alex glances at Magnus, "Well at least he's not blocking the way."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Synch
Game Master
Posts: 4753
Location: New Zealand

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Synch » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Bjorn watches the sigilyph cleaning for a while, before turning to Luna. "Well, this is very non-eventful so I feel a lot better. And now these guys can clean! I have no idea why they'd be locked up though..." He pauses.

"This means that there could be something interesting in the basement, but I don't want us to get trapped down there and we should probably catch up with the others. We can always explore later. Let's go."

Luna and Bjorn head back and follow after the others. If Luna struggles on the stairs, Bjorn will send out Nape and help her up on her back (if space allows) while he continues to climb the stairs at a steady pace.

Bjorn Athletics check: 6D6 = [3, 3, 2, 3, 4, 3] = 18


While climbing, Bjorn breaks the silence by asking, "Luna, what did Magnus mean when he said what you did wasn't right? What did you do?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they catch up with the others, Bjorn will shoot a curious glance at Matthias but otherwise ignore him, assuming that if it's fine for his mates to have him along then all must be well.

"Back! Was just a sigilyph locked in the basement under a trapdoor, all it wants to do is clean up. Maybe we can explore the basement later."
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 17367
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:53 am

”We do not know where the boss is. I think he would be at the top or basement., most likely the top.”

User avatar
SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 7187

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by SamWiser » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Splitting up seems to be a very bad idea. And if we don't know where to go, why not just pick a direction? We're looking for someplace important where the leader is, since this is a secret mystery temple I doubt it'll be as simple as him being on the top floor like some CEO's boardroom. Probably some hidden magical chamber in... that direction. Bruce points towards one of the entrances, closest he can think of to the direction of North.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7959
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 pm

"Yeah, we should stick together...."

Focusing her windy powers, Izzy extends her senses out to 11m down each tunnel. And assuming she doesn't find anything interesting, she agrees with Bruce's suggestion to pick a path at random.

User avatar
Natrivv
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1512

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Natrivv » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 am

Yeah, with the danger of mind control we should avoid splitting up too much. Though I would like to investigate that spike thing a little more. As Izzy explores the tunnels with wind senses Irene puts her hand on the spike trying to feel a connection... and feeling slightly foolish.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 13626

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:35 pm

Bjorn

"Well, this is very non-eventful so I feel a lot better. And now these guys can clean! I have no idea why they'd be locked up though..."

The one sigilyph angrily flaps it's wings, seemingly... Agreeing? It's hard to tell with it not even "squawking" or anything.

"Yes, it is a relief..."

"This means that there could be something interesting in the basement, but I don't want us to get trapped down there and we should probably catch up with the others. We can always explore later. Let's go."

"Perhaps, yes... Let's go then."

With that, they quickly start climbing the staircase, leaving the Sigilyph to their sweeping and mopping, heading after the others- Though Bjorn appears to have one more question burning on his mind.

"Luna, what did Magnus mean when he said what you did wasn't right? What did you do?"

Luna almost seems to stumble for a moment at the sudden question, but regains her footing. Pausing for a moment longer, before letting out a deep sigh.

"It's... Complicated. It was the whole business at the temple, in truth. I was... Selfish. Things were looking like they were finally turning good in my life, and I didn't want to give that up because of the war. I thought I could escape it. I abused my powers to do it... But more importantly, I had to take something important to do it in the first place. And someone still suffers because of it."

"...I need to make it up to him, somehow."

"That's a very short version of what happened, but... If you want to know all the details, perhaps we best save it for when we're not running up staircases, right? Haa..."


Koa, Alex, Bjorn

The group continues further onward, but for now there's not really any getting lost, there only been a circular passageway that leads up to the next staircase. There are rooms off to the side, of course, but those go ignored for now- Most look like they've been used, anyways. As they continue further, the passageway does seem to open up slightly- The center collumn that runs through the tower seeming to thin slightly, allowing one to look up to the next levels through little "balconies"... Bjorn comes running up from behind, catching up with the others just as they seem to be debating what to do with Matthias.

"Well at least he's not blocking the way."

"Hmm. Move along and leave him behind, then."

"H-Hold on now! I have to be there! I'm part of the plan- Surely, I must play an important role!"

Magnus, for a brief moment, clenches his fists- Before marching on, not even deeming Matthias with a direct response- Instead only speaking as he marches past the man.

"You're a fool, Matthias."

"If you do not know who I am, you are being played. To not begin talk of your worship of something you do not understand, and could not care any less about you. Or the things you've done- Protected only by that family of yours."


Matthias at first seems stunned, eyes going wide, right before... He starts to chuckle. It's not quite a happy one- Even Magnus seeming to pause for a moment, glancing back.

"I suppose I am a fool, aren't I? I know miss Gayle keeps things from me. I just have to convince myself it has it's reasons. And you do not understand my lord either, not as good as I do at least. Thanks to him, I have purpose! I can... Push past those things, make amends!"

"...And what amends HAVE you made?"

This question seems to pause Matthias genuinely, his mouth hanging open slightly as if in shock- A hand gripping his head as he lightly shakes it.

"Tonight. Tonight is going to make all of it worthwhile..!"

The kadabra along Matthias side seems to be watching the conversation unfold, raising one of it's hands with a slight glow in an apparent bid to calm down the man slightly- Peeking up between the balconies, upwards...

(You guys can still react to this if you want to of course- Just moving things a bit along to not keep it going too long.)

Izzy, Irene, Bruce, Haley

”We do not know where the boss is. I think he would be at the top or basement., most likely the top.”

"Oh, I meant... Just these, vents, really- I suppose that makes sense..."

Splitting up seems to be a very bad idea. And if we don't know where to go, why not just pick a direction? We're looking for someplace important where the leader is, since this is a secret mystery temple I doubt it'll be as simple as him being on the top floor like some CEO's boardroom. Probably some hidden magical chamber in... that direction.

"Yeah, we should stick together...."

"Alright, guess we're sticking together then. I'm not sure I agree with your logic there, but might as well." Isabella states, looking in Bruce's direction for a moment- And deciding to take the lead, first to begin crawling down the vent. Izzy of course using her powers to try and scan down each direction, but not finding anything that sticks out. She does find all of the directions seem identical, the entire structure symmetrical, and that further ahead all vents seem to begin sloping further down.

Yeah, with the danger of mind control we should avoid splitting up too much. Though I would like to investigate that spike thing a little more.

With that, Irene places her hand on the spike... And her eyes go wide as she feels a strange sensation course through her.

(Irene, give me a focus check please! Everyone else, athletics or acrobatics to enter/climb down the vent (unless you have a capability to move in safely), and optionally an order you guys will take. )

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13430
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:53 am

"You're talking about the Overseer thing, right? That thing's not worth worshiping; it just wants to leave the world barren. Your own research is what told us that. No grand plan can justify that."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Synch
Game Master
Posts: 4753
Location: New Zealand

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Synch » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:56 am

Earlier:

"That's a very short version of what happened, but... If you want to know all the details, perhaps we best save it for when we're not running up staircases, right? Haa..."

"Yeah, maybe another time. But what I know to be important is that you are different to who the old Luna must have been, I know you'll make things right somehow."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Catching up with the others, Bjorn shoots a curious glance at Matthias but otherwise ignore him, assuming that if it's fine for his mates to have him along then all must be well.

"Back! Was just a sigilyph locked in the basement under a trapdoor, all it wants to do is clean up. Maybe we can explore the basement later."
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13430
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:15 am

"What was a sigilyph doing in the basement? Whatever, definitely later. We've got to keep moving up."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 17367
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:29 am

Haley will use the grappling gun to get down. She’s fine with going first, using her darkvision googles to look for anything out of the ordinary.

User avatar
Natrivv
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1512

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Natrivv » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 am

Irene does her best to hold strong as the feeling courses through her trying to figure out the intent.

In terms of order, Irene would be best going third or fourth. She'll attempt to teleport down.
Irene ap boosted focus check [2d6+1] = 9+1 = 10

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7959
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:34 pm

Izzy floats down the tunnel after Haley and Isabella, using her windy senses to scan ahead of the group.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6048

Re: PTU: Trinity Isles (Day 7)

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:55 pm

"Those Red Hand guys probably locked 'em down there 'cause they were getting in the way," Koa says with a shrug at the mention of basement-dwelling Sigilyph.

"Anyway, we can moralize later about that Overseer guy, yeah? We got somewhere to be!"

Post Reply