Children of Ash

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Children of Ash

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:02 am

Jimmy heads back into the compound to tell the others that he's heading to the farmhouse, they can come or not, when he sees Honey struggling with the shrouded body. Striding up to her, he speaks. "Not sure we met, name's Jimmy McGrath... uh... who've you got there?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:19 am

Honey looks up as Jimmy arrives, recognising his voice from outside her door earlier that morning. "The doctor lady. Maskers done a number on 'er good, an' the kid's tore up about it. Gon' bury her inna yard, give 'im some peace on the matter. He'm round here lookin fer a shovel or a buckit so I can get on with it. Ain't gonna be deep but she'll be covered 'fore we go."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:26 am

Jimmy nods gravely. He never got a chance to bury his brothers... most of them probably rotted away in the MC's safehouse... or were looted first by lowlifes that would never think to look at an Iron Gargoyle wrong if they were alive. While the dead doctor didn't mean shit to him, it seems she did to the kid, and the redneck chick was doing what she could to keep death from becoming meaningless to him. Probably wouldn't work, in a world like this, and the kid'll have to harden up soon enough, or die... but at least he could help spare him this once.

Without a word to her, Jimmy walks quickly to a likely spot, slips off his duffel and kneels, jamming the tire iron into the soil, working it back and forth to loosen the dirt. He pauses, looks in her direction and waves the tire iron a bit and tosses his head, to indicate that she should come scoop the loose soil out of the grave he's digging.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:34 am

Jani overhears Honey talking to Jimmy and heads towards them, trying quite hard to keep her eyes off the dead nurse's body.

"I don't know what you guys are planning, but digging into the ground here will be tough going - it's hard-baked dirt. The fields opposite won't be much easier, but they'll have at least been ploughed before so the ground should be a bit softer.

As for the abandoned buildings, we should still be careful no? We don't know where these raiders might be hiding out or whether there might be refugees from other towns taking shelter there. Given the violence we've already been treated to, I can't imagine many people will welcome large groups of armed strangers. We should be careful. If Honey and Peter are going to take care of the nurse, I think we should split into two groups. One stays here and deals with that, the other can scout the abandoned buildings. If the scouts don't come back here in an hour we'll assume that something has gone wrong and we'll rescue them. That means that we shouldn't send all our fighters off at once, all right?"

Jani will offer to stay with Honey and dig the grave for the doctor, with her hands if needs be. The idea of being out in the fields again amongst the small plants and dirt again is familiar to her and appealing. While she works, she'll take note of what species was being grown and how far away it is from ripening.

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:41 am

Quarg wrote: "Joshua, I'm going to go find Honey...if you would go into Dr. Wilcott's office and grab any of the files on the names you don't recognize...or you can go find Honey and Peter and find out what they are up to...but I think we should get an idea of who he is."

"Uh, sure I can do that. You want any of the other files too?"

After Paul replies, Joshua will do what he was asked.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:26 pm

thinkslogically wrote: "I don't know what you guys are planning, but digging into the ground here will be tough going - it's hard-baked dirt. The fields opposite won't be much easier, but they'll have at least been ploughed before so the ground should be a bit softer."
"Easier maybe, but I ain't wanna be out all open just yet. Anyhow, this here was her place, not some field out thar. Seem right she stay."

Honey starts to move the dirt that Jimmy has loosened with the tire iron by hand, piling it next to the area where they are working so that it can be replaced quickly later.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:44 pm

I had to chuckle at that, truthfully he sounded like some young NSA agent, but I thought it would likely be...problematic if we carried everyone's files around and were found out "No, everyone else seems to be normal...but that guy is either really focused on something or possibly psychopathic...although if you look through them and see any child molesters, that might be a problem we need to deal with soon ...lest Honey find out at the wrong moment..."

I then left Joshua to loot through the files again while I sought out either Peter or Honey. I found a group gathered in a small cluster around the poor Doctors bloating corpse. Jani made some comment about needing to dig in softer ground...
Looking at Honey and the guy who looked like a former rodie for Metalica, digging I decided not to somehow make any comments on that.

"Miss Honey, our group is getting a bit strung out between here and some building down the road. I'm going to go out past them and keep a weather eye out down the road so they don't get surprised by someone deciding to head out this way from whatever is further off down the road, give me a wave when you've got his place evacuated."

I turned and began to walk back outside but I stopped and sighed, "Also where is the kid? "

I nodded at the answer, "Well, he is likely working through a hell of a lot of grief right now.... I've had to deal with this before when my own daughter lost her mother...So I'll try to help if I can..."

I returned to trace my path back to Joshua and head out onto the Kansas Prairie....
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:54 pm

"I don't know what you guys are planning, but digging into the ground here will be tough going - it's hard-baked dirt. The fields opposite won't be much easier, but they'll have at least been ploughed before so the ground should be a bit softer."

"Easier maybe, but I ain't wanna be out all open just yet. Anyhow, this here was her place, not some field out thar. Seem right she stay."

Jimmy nods and keeps loosening soil.

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:14 pm

(OOC: If Peter finds something suitable and brings it back for her to work with, she will have begun using it - I'm posting now because I'm off to bed momentarily and don't want to hold up or miss any impending update.)

--

Within a few minutes of starting work, Honey has settled into the flow of it, moving dirt and piling it next to her in a steady and unrelenting rhythm. She seems relatively unaware or at least uncaring of the presence of other people helping or watching, as she begins to hum a tune. A few bars of simple hmms in, she breaks into quiet song. There is no trace of her accent when she sings, as if she learned the song by ear from someone else. It becomes quickly apparent to anyone listening that the song is for at least two people, call-and-response, but she picks up both parts without missing a beat. She's by no means the voice of her generation, but the tune is a simple one, she knows it well, and she truly does sing like no-one's listening. She scoops, drops and pats down dirt in time with the tune, engrossed in her work.

Go son, go down to the water
And see the women weeping there
Then go up into the mountains
The men they are all weeping too

Father, why are all the women weeping?
They are all weeping for their men
Then why are all the men there weeping?
They are weeping back at them

This is a weeping song
A song in which to weep
While all the men and women sleep
This is a weeping song
But I won't be weeping long

Father, why are all the children weeping?
Ah they are merely crying son
O are they merely crying, father?
Yes, true weeping is yet to come!

This is a weeping song
A song in which to weep
While all the little children sleep
This is a weeping song

O father, tell me are you weeping?
Your face it seems wet to touch
O then I'm so sorry, father
I never thought I hurt you so much

This is a weeping song
A song in which to weep
While we rock ourselves to sleep
This is a weeping song
No I won't be weeping long
No I won't be weeping long

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:36 pm

Mr. Green took his sunglasses from his Jacket pocket and wiped them carefully with the small cloth that he kept in his pocket. Once he was satisfied that they were smudge free he put them on and was pleased to see the world in a slightly tinted shade of brown. Now that the sun no longer shone quite as bright against his eyes, he focuses on the house in the distant in an effort to spot any movement or dust clouds that may indicate movement. He had no desire to run into any of the bandits that had been at the facility, and began walking closer to the edge of the road in case he needed to dive into the ditch to hide.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:49 am

Jacob will take one last moment to look regretfully at the fence. That barbed wire would come in handy, but he wasn't about to come back to this place just for that. He'll head out into the road towards the buildings in the distance. While he passes most on their way back he notices Mr. Green keep going so he jogs out to catch up with him and scout the buildings together. Hopefully the others won't be too far behind.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:59 am

Seeing Jani get up and start walking back to the building while seeing the other man starting to walk away towards the farmhouse in the distance, Roslyn says, "Jani, I'm going to walk with him. We should not split up too much. Let the others know where we are headed, ok? Let us not get to scattered apart."

She watches Jani head back towards the facility and then hustles to catch up to the Mr Green.
"I didn't want you to get too far ahead of everyone else. Do you really think we should not wait for them?" she asks. However, she will continue to walk with him. One thing she knows she is good with is interaction with others and making bonds of friendships. Though, in this environment, it really is a different challenge. Everyone is on edge and worried.
Using what charm she can muster, she chats up Mr Green, both for info and to gain trust and friendship,"So, of everyone, you really do look like you have some survival skills and the muscle to be able to protect us from trouble. Where you a cop before this all? Or maybe a CEO of some company?" After an answer, or even after no answer if he ignores her, she will continue on with this as they walk along, "I really don't have any practice with weapons. Well, I have shot a pistol a few times with my brother showing me some stuff, but that was minor. I don't remember much. Do you think you could teach me some ways to defend myself...and shoot a gun, when we have time? She gives him a smile and looks him in the eye, seeing if he is willing to help.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:36 am

Mr. Green heard of them long before they actually caught up with him, he didn't speed or slow his pace, but maintained his speed and direction. As the woman who had identified herself as Rosyln spoke, Mr. Green continued looking to the horizon, wary of any unknown danger.
"I didn't want you to get too far ahead of everyone else. Do you really think we should not wait for them?"
Mr. Green says, with a matter-of-fact tone "I'm fine on my own, I am looking for a mode of transportation and I have every intention of returning to the facility if and when I find something..." Mr. Green falls into silence again.
The woman continues talking "So, of everyone, you really do look like you have some survival skills and the muscle to be able to protect us from trouble. Where you a cop before this all? Or maybe a CEO of some company?"
Mr. Green keeps his silence.
After pausing, she continues "I really don't have any practice with weapons. Well, I have shot a pistol a few times with my brother showing me some stuff, but that was minor. I don't remember much. Do you think you could teach me some ways to defend myself...and shoot a gun, when we have time?
Mr. Green almost keeps his silence, but figures that some show of good faith toward a fellow survivor might be important talks to her, though briefly.
"When we find a place to rest safely, I can show you a few tricks, but for now...there are more pressing matters to attend to."
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 am

OOC: Badge, you are actually talking to Roslyn. Jani went back to the facilty and Roslyn went to catch up with you, Mr quiet and brooding.

Roslyn purses her lips, a bit taken aback by his quietness. But was glad when he finally spoke a bit.
"When we find a place to rest safely, I can show you a few tricks, but for now...there are more pressing matters to attend to." "Thanks."

Undeterred, she will continue walking with him. Watching ahead trying to be as post-apocolyptically skilled as she can be at spotting anything that could be amiss.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Honey, Peter, Jimmy, Jani
Honey begins digging a grave by hand, methodically working away to a Nicholas Cave song, joined in digging by Jimmy who assists with his tire iron.

Jani notices Chicory, Curled Dock, Barnyard Grass, Common Milkweed and Hemlock at a glance. The first three are edible, the last two toxic. She makes her way inside to look for the others before she too joins in digging.

Peter has a thorough look around for digging untensils before deciding on some broken cafeteria trays which he brings back to the others. While not the best tool to use, they offer improved progress and spare fingers from digging in the hard dirt.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

(Completion time reduced due to cafeteria trays.)

Paul, Joshua
Paul and Joshua make their way inside before splitting up, Paul off to find the others and Joshua to find background files.
Paul soon finds the others burying Dr Wilcott and opts for scouting out as opposed to pitching in, and so leaves to find Joshua and head out onto the road. However, his delay in finding the others means he reaches the carpark but notes that three of the group are already most of the way at the buildings seen on the horizon.
Joshua discovers Wilcott's office and soon finds the files on the 'patients.' All files reveal standard background details and information (much like the first post of the OOC thread) with almost no concerns or surprises (Interestingly, Peter's file shows that he is a child prodigy with a brilliant intellect, has been a MENSA member since the age of 3 and recently is the recipient of a Bachelor of Engineering from Caltech.) The exception however is Mr Green and Honey's files. Mr Green's file is stamped CLASSIFIED with TOP SECRET level and the code word PHOENIX. The majority of the text has been replaced with white boxes; clearly the staff here did not have appropriate clearance to be party to Mr Green's background either.
Honey's file is also stamped CLASSIFIED with RESTRICTED level classification. The majority of text is on display; she is from an isolated commune in Ramona, Oklahoma, originally from Lutts, Tennessee. The people at the commune were all persons of interest long before the outbreak, known doomsday preppers and conspiracy theorists that had frequent run-ins with local government agencies and law enforcement. Following the outbreak, the US army arrived at the commune to quarantine and evacuate any survivors. Surprisingly, every single commune member was still alive at first point of contact. The rest of the events have been replaced with a white box; clearly the restricted information.
Joshua decides to take Mr Green and Honey's files to show Paul, eventually catching up with him in the carpark.

Mr Green, Jacob, Roslyn
The three who have decided to scout onward find that some basic introductions and a steady pace have made the trip down the road pass relatively quickly. They find themselves in front of a gas station, with a two storey farmhouse approx 50m away at the end of a dirt path which runs beside the gas station from the dirt road. Opposite the Gas Station is a signpost. It points to Rolla only a mile away in one direction, and in the other direction it points to a small dirt road with a sign saying Santa Fe National Historic Trail and Cimarron Recreation Area.
► Show Spoiler
The gas station was presumably designed to service goverment vehicles heading from the center, as well as holiday makers taking the long way to the Cimarron Recreation Area through Rolla, but appears as though it hasn't been in working order in quite some time. Some windows are smashed and the forecourt overgrown with weeds; the gas pumps are missing. It looks quiet.
► Show Spoiler
A constant banging is emanating from the old two-storey farmhouse with peeling white paint on wooden weatherboards. Most of the curtains appear drawn, and you can see the banging is in fact the screen door slamming open and shut in the breeze. A handwritten sign on a wooden board attached to the screen door reads Intruders will be shot in the face. No questions asked. However, the door behind the screen door is wide open.
► Show Spoiler
The time is 10am.

► Show Spoiler
[/tabs]
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Jimmy pauses to wipe sweat from his brow, stands and carefully and loving removes and places his leather kutte on top of the duffel. He resumes chopping at the dirt with the tire iron to loosen it, and judges they've excavated nearly enough to topple the ol' Doc in and give her a burial for the kid. Once the grave is dug and the old bag in in the ground, he'll leave them to say their piece, shrugging back into his kutte and collecting the duffel and tire iron before heading out the front gate.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:44 pm

Jacob notices the sign. That kind of paranoia this close to the facility can not be good. He draws his club and signals for green to do the same with his weapon. "There's probably no one around now that those raiders left, but I still think we ought to be careful. Watch my back will ya? I'll do the same for you." Then turning to Roslyn, "Since you don't have a weapon, why don't you stick behind us?" He'll then advance into the gas station, Checking for anyone hostile and then looting it himself
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:41 am

I stood in the parking lot watching three folks wander off towards the buildings. Based on my assessment beforehand I doubted if there was much use around there, but who knows. I was just worried some of the Pack might show back up. But I needed to wait for Jacob.

I looked at the ruined Chevy Prism...typical idiots...they were going to be a plauge upon themselves sooner rather than later. The destruction of resources was only going to hurt themselves in the long term. It is not like GM was going to be making any more cars in the next century so why destroy the Prism or the Sedan? The immediate sense of power, of being the elite and ravaging everyone. Great until a few winters from now they lie about starving, to weak to even kill and eat each other.

Piracy needed a healthy civilization to live off of...these idiots were just maggots living off a corpse with no hope of a new corpse around the bend. I wondered if these bastards had gotten Kris...if they had, well...

I stopped going down that path and went over to the vehicle. I looked under the front seats, more in curiosity than expecting anything. I then pulled the hood realease, thinking that if I could, I would grab the radiator hose...if the trunk didn't open I wasn't going to waste my time on it.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:47 am

Honey keeps digging until there's a deep enough trough to lay the doctor in, then manoeuvres the body into the pit with as much grace as she can muster alone, or more if she's helped by Jimmy, Jani or any others. She sets about filling the hole back in immediately, no ceremony or reverence given at this stage - apparently if she feels any of that is to be done, it's at the end, not in the middle. She uses the broken tray as a shovel, pushing the earth back over the hole as efficiently and quickly as she can, intending to tidy up once the majority of the dirt is replaced.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:53 am

Seeing that neither of the two were going near the farm house, Mr. Green approaches it cautiously, eyes reading the "Beware" Sign and ignoring it. Mr. Green slowly circles around the house in search of a backdoor (If Found A. if not B.)
A. Mr. Green crouches down and moves slowly toward the rear door of the farm house.
B. Mr. Green crouches down and moves slowly toward the Front door of the farm house.

Mr. Green listens closely for any movement or other sounds, beyond that of the banging of the front screen door. Moving carefully to the door, he reaches out a hand and tries the knob, before turning it and slowly opening the door, continuing to crouch and moving into the house, looking out for any people who might be there. Once his initial search for any enemy combatants or civilians is complete, he moves to the front door and if he sees the others, waves at them to catch their attention and gives them a thumbs up, hoping that they would be able to understand his simple gestures. Moving back into the house, he begins to search the house room by room, looking beyond simply what is there, but also looking for any secret compartments that may exist.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:18 pm

He draws his club and signals for green to do the same with his weapon. "There's probably no one around now that those raiders left, but I still think we ought to be careful. Watch my back will ya? I'll do the same for you." Then turning to Roslyn, "Since you don't have a weapon, why don't you stick behind us?" He'll then advance into the gas station, Checking for anyone hostile and then looting it himself
Roslyn nods to Jacob, but then sees that Mr Green ignores Jacob and without a word continues on, by himself towards the farmhouse. "Well, so much for working in a group." she says quietly to Jacob while shrugging.
"I'll let you go in first if that makes you feel better, but I'm going to follow and watch from the door, I will watch your back." Once/If the gas station is cleared, she will start looking around for useful items. She hopes there is something inside she can use as a makeshift weapon. Something smaller would be ideal so she is keeping her eyes peeled particularly for something in the likes of a wrench or a screwdriver.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Jani helps with the burial and then (if there's time) collects each of the 5 plants. Food is always good, and so is the odd poison...

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:23 pm

Joshua meets back up with Paul.

"I got the files you wanted. Most were pretty normal, except for Honey and our mistery gentleman. They didn't have his name either, only thing I got is "Mr. Green". Most of his file was redacted, I'm guessing government involvement."

He hands Paul the files.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Peter feeling a little useless just standing about letting the others dig sees the one lone food tray left and decides momentarily to pitch in as well. However given the three already working there isn't much space for him to squeeze in as well, that is until it's time to put the dirt back in and looking at the body in the grave just gives him the shakes so after one push of the dirt, he stops. and let the others finish as he tries to "be brave" and not cry.

Once the burial is finished he merely stands at the base of it and tries to think. normally people would say something here, but he was still a little lost for words. He wanted to say he'd miss her, that she was the only person he had that understood and put up with him, that she'd almost helped him accept his family were all gone, that she was almost a new mother to him, but as the words fail to come out and he can feel the other adults beginning to move about again after some silence he just goes the the disturbed ground, kneels and whispers "good bye - Aunty".

He then places the only thing he has at the head of the grave turns and follows the others (Honey) reluctantly and quietly, leaving only the bobble-head behind which wobbles in the wind as if waving his departure.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:49 pm

"I got the files you wanted. Most were pretty normal, except for Honey and our mistery gentleman. They didn't have his name either, only thing I got is "Mr. Green". Most of his file was redacted, I'm guessing government involvement."

I quickly glanced at Honey's file and swore. "Damn, well there goes me trying to build any kind of trust with her...Damn ground pounder idiots..."
"Well, Joshua...as you can see from Honey's file I've got more black marks against me than if I married the girl..Thanks for the info...I'll just have to avoid her to keep shank free from here on out."

I then looked at the file of Mr. Green. I then pointed to the building in the distance. "Unless you want to grab something, lets walk and talk, Joshua."

As Joshua agreed (I assumed, if not the following will be redacted)...we started down the road.
"So Mr. Green is a foreign agent, with a TOP SECRET project PHOENIX that was heavily redacted but he was sent here as part of that project. What does that say to you Joshua?"

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr